Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 17th November 2006, 15:38   #21  |  Link
mgpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd090580 View Post
Hi,
juste one question. How many pass it does on bad sectors ?????

20000 bad sectors = 20000 passes ???? I hope not
Click the '+' next to 'normal' in the 'Log Window' section, and change the Normal to Verbose, and the log window will show how many reads and failures it makes on each pass.

But yeah, 20000 bad sectors will take a while. Mind you I had a disk than ran to ~100 passes with 2000 bad sectors and not many reads, then it seemed to finish quickly from that point.

Mark
mgpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 07:27   #22  |  Link
bloodrush

Wow!! that's all I can say. Greatest program ever. This program has recovered a DVD that I've kept in my closet, praying I could someday recover the data off of it. Thank you so much, worked like a charm. It took 10 hours but it fully recovered data that no other program has gotten close to.
Also, paired with AnyDVD..you can get data off of CSS encrypted discs. I had a retail dvd that always had glitches at the end of the movie due to scratches. I was never able to get DVDdecrypter to fully read it. Loaded up AnyDVD and ISOPuzzle, it was able to pull off those last few bytes to give me a complete ISO finally. Burned off a new copy and....yeah...complete movie. Thanks for the great program.
bloodrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 04:10   #23  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

just a small feature request - would it be possible to specify a filename for the ISO file that gets ripped?
Old 12th December 2006, 15:59   #24  |  Link
marsoupilami

@bloodrush
Nice to get some positive feedback - Anjong Haseo!

@Mug Funky
Currently I don't have much free time... For one of the next versions I've planned to support VCD which would require some changes (e.g. a differerent fileformat - mds, cue/bin? I have no idea right now...)
But I'll think on it - as I'll do with a "cycle tray" option.

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

http://members.aon.at/marsoupilami/
marsoupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2006, 19:46   #25  |  Link
outsiders71

marsoupilami,

I just wanted to applaud your work! This program is an essential tool! Thank you!
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 03:18   #26  |  Link
sirzur

Thanks for this great tool. I have a question about Sectornumber. I have a writeable DVD-R which I am trying to rip. I have used one drive to rip and then tried it in another. However I am getting "Sectornumber sould be XXX. Drive reports XXX"

I presume that the Sectornumber is to make sure that information on one disk is not accidently overwritten onto another. Even if the sectonumbers are different, would it still be possible to use the import function or use another drive to rip the problem disk? If it is possible, can the program be modified such that it would continue even if there ae different sectornumbers. Of course, if that is the case, then there should be warnings about the effect of overwriting one disk on another etc etc.

PS I have also been following advise on freezing the diska nd then reripping
Cheers
sirzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 16:29   #27  |  Link
marsoupilami

sirzur,

You are right! The sectornumber is checked to prevent ripping different disks to the same image and also to determine the size of the flagfile.
Overwriting the drive reported sectornumber will be possible in the next version for a different reason: some erroneous disks report size 0 (I guess because the session is unclosed).
If you don't like to wait a few weeks for the next version there is a - not really recommended - workaround (please don't beat me, if it's not working):
Make the 1st ripping attempt on that drive, which reports the larger size. You can edit the "total number of sectors" which is the first double word in the flagfile. This will produce only a "checksum error" which can be ignored...
Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzur View Post
However I am getting "Sectornumber sould be XXX. Drive reports XXX"
What difference is reported? Only a few sectors?

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

Last edited by marsoupilami; 8th January 2007 at 23:23.
Old 10th January 2007, 03:47   #28  |  Link
Piyoko

I just have to thank you for this awesome application! I had a bonus disc from a retail DVD that came loose during shipping and was badly scratched. Tried DVD Decrypter on a bunch of different drives and it was just doing retry upon retry upon retry without getting anywhere. So I also put AnyDVD in the background to get rid of the CSS and let this app run, and after only 10 minutes and a couple of passes over the problematic section I had a perfect iso on my hard drive. Awesome!
Piyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 01:42   #29  |  Link
sirzur

I can't remember the difference between the sector numbers but it is quite small.

I think I will wait for a new version rather than editing the flag file
sirzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 19:41   #30  |  Link
marsoupilami

Well!
The new version 1.4 will have:
.) A Force Volumesize dialog for fooling the disksize
(for solving the "empty disk" and the "different sectornumber" problems) - be careful!
.) A Cycle Tray checkbox
.) The Filenames are now only suggested

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

Last edited by marsoupilami; 22nd January 2007 at 20:27.
Old 22nd January 2007, 23:04   #31  |  Link
LakersFan

Sounds great. Looking forward to using this. I love the cycle tray option.

Thank you.
LakersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 11:48   #32  |  Link
ilpippo80

Hello Masoupilami,
first of all thanks, great program, it's really useful!
One small feature request:
I wanted to tinker with the number of skipped sectors to see if I can get any speed improvement with it... Do you think it's possible for you to add a switch (maybe just in the ini file so probably it would be easier for you) to choose a fixed number and not a random one for it?
Thanks!
ilpippo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 19:56   #33  |  Link
LProof

Thank you so much for this wonderful program. I've already recovered 3 bad DVDs I had no hope of recovering before!

Possibly something obvious that I'm missing - but is there a way to tell exactly which sectors are missing - a program I can use to read the *.flg file? Wordpad gives me gibberish.
LProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 23:28   #34  |  Link
marsoupilami

@ilpippo80
There would be a lot of switches & adjustments - but I tried to keep the use as simple as possible.
Besides: The random number of skipped sectors is adapted to the missing part - the more sectors are missing the larger the steps.

@LProof
If You have a look to the flagfile with a hexeditor: following the header every bit represents one sector

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

Old 30th January 2007, 11:02   #35  |  Link
snn47

any DVD-RAM support?

Is there a way to use DVD-RAM with the programm?

While I had had no problem so far in reading DVD-RAM, unlike CD- & DVD-r(w), I am wondering is there a way at all to recover data from scratched/unaccessable DVD-RAM, if it should happen?
snn47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 19:14   #36  |  Link
mgpc

And is there any way to get it to read a disc (DVD-R), which burned and verified ok, including a check with Nero Cd/Dvd-Speed Scandisk...

and now, about a year later is showing as an empty disc! It's *not*, I don't LABEL discs until I've verified I can read the content, ever.

And I've got about a dozen of them, and they are all Datawrite Yellow's with absolutely useless CMC MAG AE1 dye. Imgburn says they are empty, so does Isobuster and IsoPuzzle, but they AREN'T. Visibly they aren't!

I will never buy anything but Taiyo-Yudens again, even if they are more expensive.

marsoupilami, is there any way to force IP to just read off all the data, even if the disc appears to be empty? Maybe then I can get IsoBuster to scan the ISO for me and extract at least some of the data.

Mark

Oops, just looked at the Changelog for 1.4, it looks like it already does this, let's go and check.....

Umm that's recovered 2 for 2 so far, with the third proceeding happily, though on one disc it took ages (10min+) to go off Drive Not Ready.

Last edited by mgpc; 28th February 2007 at 21:15. Reason: Speeling :-) and I didn't RTFM :-(
Old 28th February 2007, 21:36   #37  |  Link
marsoupilami

@snn47
Sorry - I have no DVD-RAM ... neither at home nor in our company

@mgpc
Sorry but maybe I'll dissapoint You too...

A few years ago I also had a couple of SWISSTEC disks which verified ok and a few month later they seemed to be 'empty'.
Although the surface shows exactly which region of the disks had been written to - I could not recover even one sector!
I definitely did not store these disks in light or hot areas - they seem to have been rotten in the dark....

I hope You will have more luck and you got it in the beginning of the dissolving process!

IsoPuzzle has a new home
SubSplicer is born!

Old 28th February 2007, 21:55   #38  |  Link
mgpc

marsoupilami, I'm currently at 4 discs read fine, 1 that had a couple of read errors so I've paused it at the moment, and 1 more on the way, plus one I haven't been able to get anything off yet because IP never comes back saying Drive Not Ready, even though ImgBurn reads the disc info quite quickly, but I guess it's reading elsewhere on the disc.

Thanks again.

Mark

Last edited by mgpc; 28th February 2007 at 21:57.
Old 28th February 2007, 22:08   #39  |  Link
mgpc

For those discs that don't seem to come back from DriveNotReady, any chance we could have an option to NOT try to get any details off the disc, like the drive reported sectors or the label, and just start reading, to the full size of the media. I realise this will get lots of errors towards the end of the disc, but might still get enough data to be useful.
Force Size = Max for this media maybe? With possibly an option to reduce the size when we figure out where the end of the written data is? And I've just come across another disc that IP won't even start on because it can't read the label. Does it ever timeout?

Now at 5 read ok, one with some errors and 3 saying DriveNotReady.

IP is brilliant!

<pedant>BTW, on the doco page for IP1.4 you have a heading of 'Cylce Tray' instead of 'Cycle Tray'.</pedant>

Last edited by mgpc; 28th February 2007 at 22:29.
Old 1st March 2007, 13:59   #40  |  Link
mgpc

I have now recovered 8 out of 9 discs that Imgburn says are empty, the last one IsoPuzzle sat trying to read the disc details for about 10 hours before I gave up. It sometimes took half a dozen disc mounts before IP found the details, but then it recovered them perfectly, even the disc that had errors reading first time.

Mark

Last edited by mgpc; 1st March 2007 at 15:49.