Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 9th December 2010, 11:33   #81  |  Link
mvBarracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsoupilami View Post
Would you release the source for free?
I would actually do so :-) The main question is: do you consider it?
mvBarracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 18:40   #82  |  Link
spotter

I think you should consider making your log format compatible with GNU ddrescue.
spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 15:57   #83  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

I would release the source under GPL, but of course that is me.

Respect always

~Ajax
Old 28th March 2021, 19:20   #84  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Few questions, maybe suggestions...

I know this is a very old thread, and that IsoPuzzle appears not to be developed anymore, but still...

My problem is that I have a DVD that is badly scratched. Shortening a long story, I managed to read most of the DVD, yet the image is longer than the actual data. I tried every solution I came up but either it started anew or spit an error (sector mismatch). I simply want to skip certain sectors from being read, those part of the image but actually pointing at unburned sections, sparing my drive.

I know the solution is to set the sectors to "free" but this means it starts anew and I needed 2 weeks (yes, 14 days) rotating some 50 drives to reach the actual 80% (of which only some 2000-3000 sectors right at the beginning are the problem, the rest are those "fake" ones). As I said, the situation is extremely strange, de disc was really really severely damaged.... I fairily know now, only after those days, how long the image should be...

Is there any solution to set the sector numbers AFTER the image was created? Sort of Truncate/Trim etc...
If not, will be any plans to continue the development?
Maybe the sources? With docs?

PS: I tried:
- setting the sectors after - error
- setting the sectore before - starts anew
- setting the sectors to anything else than what was in the flg/iso - error
- copy/paste/rename/reuse shorter images - error or starts anew

I know these are mechanisms against the idiot user, and few people actually met the situation in practice where the drives provide erroneous infos (because of the errors in the LeadIn/TOC).

PS2: well, no, these are home movies, can't be bought again.
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:03   #85  |  Link
maetel99

If you have a scratched up disc, you can clean it up pretty well using auto scratch remover products such as "Formula 1 Scratch Out" or "Nu Finish Scratch Doctor". Just polish it repeatedly with the scratch remover and you can clean up most of the damage. Do a final clean with alcohol then you should be able to read out more of the data without so many problems.
maetel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:26   #86  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Smokers toothpaste [and a little water] is sometimes recommended.
Either round and round in little circles [as for bulling military boots], OR,
out from center, lines radiating from center, not following rotary direction of tracks.
[scratches radiating from center can be recovered by error correction, scratches in
direction of tracks can defeat error correction]

EDIT: I used to have a hand wind up thing which spins disk to clean it up with some cleaning solution, with slightly abrasive pad.
In the UK, CEX, a 2nd hand [ie used] I.T. shop that sells used DVD's, etc, also has a powered device that
does the same thing as my hand cranked device, they say that if the disk you buy dont work proper, then
bring it back and they will [for 12 months] give you a free spin clean. Maybe if there are similar style shops in your
area, it might be worth enquiring if they have such a device. [I only tried it once after failed attempt at hand polish, it worked for me].

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd April 2021 at 20:43.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 09:45   #87  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Thanks, but I asked for a software solution, not a "cleaning" one.

The disc is not scratched, it's a bad burn.
Usually I tested every disc, but after a while I considered it to be a waste of time, the only commoditiy I don't have plenty. In 20 years of burning I had only a couple of media that went defective straight off the burner - they were mostly the result of the buffer underrun, long time ago when the burners needed to have a constant flow of data, and windows 95 always interferred with. Burnproof technlogy was the greatest invention ever after the invention of the CDR.
And it worked, but after some 10 years, it's no longer readable.

It was a bad burn that is a burn that was close to the limits of readability already from the beginning. And I did not tested it. This is why goddess Fortuna hit me. It was a CMCMAG by the way.

I understand that the number of sectors of the imgae is stored, this is why I needed the sources, to know the offset and change it in a hex editor. Or the author can do this in the new version of the software.
Old 4th April 2021, 10:25   #88  |  Link
jpsdr

From what i've heard, 10 years is the average lifespan of burned media, as they... i don't know how to translate properly... "decay"... over the time.
Pressed (not sure proper translation) don't have this issue. "Bad" disc may have other issue link ink on the printed face diffuse (again translation) and damage data layer. Otherwise estimated lifespan of pressed media is a lot higher (80 years..?).

So if your disc is around or more than 10 years old, it's "just" the end of his lifespan.
After loosing a lot of discs 10-15 years ago because of this fact i didn't know, now i always put on my disc the year it's burned.
And i redo them after 7 years.
Lost a lot of things, especialy family VHS film/record i've digitalised and put on DVDs around the begining of the first DVD burning, (i've done this at the end of the 90s if i remember). Now they are unreadable, and i'm not able anymore to digitalise the VHS source, should they still be avaible.

Last edited by jpsdr; 5th April 2021 at 16:25.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2021, 10:58   #89  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Yes, I know these, I burn since the first burners roared in the computer shops.

I did extensive tests before, and after a while I did tests only for each new brand, never had issues. I have CDRs from 95-96 that are as happy as bacj then, insignificant more C2s than fresh, and DVDRs from 2003-04 also with almost unchanged PI/POs.

It has to be a bad disc as none of its brothers from the same splidle exhibit such fatal error (the inner section, usually this happens at the outer rim section).

I know it's my fault that I did not test the DVDR for quality, but I was tricked into thinking it should be the same quality as the first disc of the spindle. This won't happen again

Now, this doesn't help me to extract the unique data (yes, another mistake).
I might end up with a totaly unrecoverable DVDR, which is highly plausible now, after some 50 drives of all makes (except BTC, which I have sold few years ago).
If this will happen, I might need to recreate the DVD again from the original tapes (capturing, editing, titling etc.).

Thanks for interests
Old 4th April 2021, 13:00   #90  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
My problem is that I have a DVD that is badly scratched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Smokers toothpaste [and a little water] is sometimes recommended.
Either round and round in little circles [as for bulling military boots], OR, out from center, lines radiating from center, not following rotary direction of tracks [scratches radiating from center can be recovered by error correction, scratches in direction of tracks can defeat error correction]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Thanks, but I asked for a software solution, not a "cleaning" one.

The disc is not scratched, it's a bad burn.
But, but, but... What? [rhetorical].
Old 4th April 2021, 16:29   #91  |  Link
Ghitulescu

It is not scratched - I thought it is, but when I took it out and looked at it it wasn't.
It was too late to change the subject.
As I said, I rarely have bad burns so I wrote it was scratched as it was the most plausible explanation.
Old 27th September 2021, 08:28   #92  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

dvdisaster follows a similar approach, maybe it is able to recover some of your stuff:
https://www.heise.de/download/product/dvdisaster-22039
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote