Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 15th October 2022, 15:30   #1621  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
I'd actually like to know what it is used for...
It's for changing framerates using interpolation (in contrast , vs. inserting or deleting frames via blends or duplicates). Think of it as synthesizing "in between" frames at new intermediate points in time, so the result is smoother than blends or dupes. The main issue is artifacts - some types of content work ok, others are terrible

You can use it for slow motion, reversing some types of conversions, adapating to some specific standards where you need a specific frame rate

The original used mvtools2, but dogway's version has been modified to use rife as an option and can produce better results in some scenarios. FRC is more advanced than standard methods because of additional features such as artifact masking and blending
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2022, 22:32   #1622  |  Link
Dogway

Quote:
Oh, OK, well, I was obviously misled there...

But why don't you just go to W11 22H2, that's what I use, and it's great, especially once you "tweak" it up
Yeah, Microsoft decided it wasn't a good idea to install on old systems. Anyway I'm not too fond of installing OS in a productive environment that are still too "green". Win11 22H2 might resolve some, but still...

Quote:
FrameRateConverterMIX

Would someone be so kind as to give me a basic explanation of what this can do ?

With maybe a simple script

And is it different to this :-

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/SVPflow
Yes, it's similar but CPU mvtools2 based with some masking to hide artifacts. I simply reviewed MysteryX's script to see if I could improve performance, later I added RIFE as he explained.

In any case I ditched the idea and with Asd-g's latest RIFE update I prefer to directly use RIFE (I made a wrapper for it), better quality and similar speed, haven't benchmarked though.

Still working on the updates, had an issue yesterday where I almost lost all files from my Desktop Luckily could restore most with Recuva.

Last edited by Dogway; 15th October 2022 at 22:35.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 01:12   #1623  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post

Yes, it's similar but CPU mvtools2 based with some masking to hide artifacts. I simply reviewed MysteryX's script to see if I could improve performance, later I added RIFE as he explained.

In any case I ditched the idea and with Asd-g's latest RIFE update I prefer to directly use RIFE (I made a wrapper for it), better quality and similar speed, haven't benchmarked though.

Still working on the updates, had an issue yesterday where I almost lost all files from my Desktop Luckily could restore most with Recuva.
Great explanations from both you & poisondeathray, but I still can't seem to get it to work properly, and does RIFE need any other dependencies ??

Might have to try it out of the ResizersPack...

RipBot264 modded builds..

Last edited by TDS; 16th October 2022 at 01:20.
TDS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 01:24   #1624  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Yeah, Microsoft decided it wasn't a good idea to install on old systems. Anyway I'm not too fond of installing OS in a productive environment that are still too "green". Win11 22H2 might resolve some, but still...
You know you can download a genuine .ISO from MS, and then use Rufus 3.20 to create a bootable USB, and ALL the restrictions are disabled, so you should be able to install it just about anything...

Works for me

PS:- Rufus can actually download the .iso itself

UPDATE (just for Dogway):- I just did a test install of W11 22H2, on an OLD (2008) i7 920 CPU, on an ASUS P6T WS PRO....EFI BIOS, worked like a charm

Last edited by TDS; 16th October 2022 at 05:51.
Old 16th October 2022, 02:01   #1625  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
and does RIFE need any other dependencies ??
Dependencies are listed under the Requirements section

https://github.com/Asd-g/AviSynthPlus-RIFE

Post any error messages
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 03:24   #1626  |  Link
kedautinh12

You need GPU with Vulkan support to use with RIFE
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 04:34   #1627  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
You know you can download a genuine .ISO from MS, and then use Rufus 3.20 to create a bootable USB, and ALL the restrictions are disabled, so you should be able to install it just about anything...

Works for me

PS:- Rufus can actually download the .iso itself
Could install W11 on external Hard drive via hard drive dock. [I'de BIOS/FIRMWARE disable ALL SSD, Harddrive's before install so as to not be dependent upon existing boot loader],
can use HDV in external dock like you can a USB flash drive or SD Card and boot OS or tools from it.
One of my docks:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIDECO-Dock...s%2C228&sr=8-3
Quote:
FIDECO Aluminum Hard Drive Docking Station, USB 3.0 Docking Station for 2.5 and 3.5 inch SATA HDD or SSD, Support Offline Clone and 2x 16TB Hard Drives

Above, just for testing, obviously speed would suffer a bit compared to eg internal nvme SSD.

EDIT: I was booting emergency Linux Cinnamon Mint [already got mint on SSD with W10] from dock HDV, but recent update to HP FIRMWARE causes boot failure on mint and Dragon OS [linux], but other linux
distros work OK [eg LMDE ie Debian edition mint]. Probably a problem with [EDIT: Ubuntu based] mint booting rather than HP firmware (some extra security added).
HP will not let me revert to old firmware, and Mint from New Setup has same problem, so we are a bit stuffed.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 16th October 2022 at 05:04.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 04:52   #1628  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedautinh12 View Post
You need GPU with Vulkan support to use with RIFE
Hi K,

I had a sneaking suspicion that I would need that....now I need to suss out my GPU's.

Cheers

Old 16th October 2022, 20:08   #1629  |  Link
madey83

@Dogway,

could you please tell me how can i use more GPU power/performance in regard using prefilter=7? Currently it uses only 15-20% of my mobile RTX2060.
Old 16th October 2022, 20:13   #1630  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I saw the CCD filter named many times here.

I have tried to find with no luck. Where can I find it?
Old 16th October 2022, 20:18   #1631  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
I saw the CCD filter named many times here.

I have tried to find with no luck. Where can I find it?
Avisynth-Scripts/EX mods/DeblockPack.avsi
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2022, 20:27   #1632  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
DeblockPack
TIL

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2022, 21:48   #1633  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madey83 View Post
@Dogway,

could you please tell me how can i use more GPU power/performance in regard using prefilter=7? Currently it uses only 15-20% of my mobile RTX2060.
DGDenoise() is very fast and well optimized as CUDA filter. Your CPU will most likely be the bottleneck. That's why your GPU usage is only ~20%.
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 09:25   #1634  |  Link
madey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
DGDenoise() is very fast and well optimized as CUDA filter. Your CPU will most likely be the bottleneck. That's why your GPU usage is only ~20%.
Hi LeXXuz,

thank you for answer.
have you used Dogway's settings from SMDegrain file or do you have some additional configuration for prefilter=7 to do more denoise on GPU and gain some CPU performence for x265 encoder?

Edit:

Could you please advice what could be the best avisynth filter (performance/efficiency) to do resize from 2160p to 1080p?

Last edited by madey83; 17th October 2022 at 09:42.
Old 17th October 2022, 09:40   #1635  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXXuz View Post
I prefer (a lot) BM3D_CUDA filter. IMHO DGDenoise is a bit too soft when used as a prefilter too.
Old 17th October 2022, 09:58   #1636  |  Link
madey83

Quote:
I prefer (a lot) BM3D_CUDA filter. IMHO DGDenoise is a bit too soft when used as a prefilter too.
Hi tormento,

could you please share your settings for it?
Old 17th October 2022, 10:44   #1637  |  Link
LeXXuz
21 years and counting...

Quote:
I'd say that highly depends upon the source material and the kind of noise you're facing. I always use the show function to have a look at the preview how good the prefiltering works. I noticed with some types of noise, block matching filters can produce terrible artifacts where non-local means don't. Here, I clearly prefer NLM or even a simple prefilter like Fluxsmooth which also does a good job for many scenarios at great speeds.

Quote:
Hi LeXXuz,

thank you for answer.
have you used Dogway's settings from SMDegrain file or do you have some additional configuration for prefilter=7 to do more denoise on GPU and gain some CPU performence for x265 encoder?

Could you please advice what could be the best avisynth filter (performance/efficiency) to do resize from 2160p to 1080p?
There really is no best way to do something in video filtering. The art is to find a good balance between noise removal and keeping as much source detail as possible.

Sadly, there is no general recipe for noise removal. If you want good results, you always have to tinker around anew for every source.

If you need smaller files you either have to increase the strength of your filtering or have to chose smaller bitrates in your encoder (or set higher CRF values if you do CRF encodes).

Look into the prefiltering section of SMDegrain (lines 252-264).
There you'll find the used settings for BM3D (prefilter 6) and DGDenoise (prefilter 7). You can tweak the strength/sigma values here.
But don't overdo it! The default values here are already a fair compromise between noise removal and detail retention. Too strong values may oversmooth your source and you will lose too much detail.

Quote:
Hi tormento,

You could just try prefilter=6

Last edited by LeXXuz; 17th October 2022 at 10:47.
LeXXuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 15:03   #1638  |  Link
kedautinh12

Quote:
Hi tormento,

settings from Dogway:
Quote:
# Prefiltering with radius 3 for more coherence. I found preset "normal" to clean edges better.
pre=ex_BM3D(sigma=10,preset="normal",radius=3,UV=1,gpuid=0,tv_range=true)
# Large radius for more coherence. LFR to recover some smearing. limits=false to don't sharpen motion areas
SMDegrain(6, 400, prefilter=pre, ContraSharp=true, RefineMotion=true, plane=4, LFR=300, limits=false, DCTFlicker=false)
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 11:55   #1639  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

I tried CCD and it halves my fps... is there any lighter workaround?
Old 20th October 2022, 14:51   #1640  |  Link
Dogway

Just a heads up, I was holding back many updates so I decided to upload what I had with TransformsPack which was many changes and features, and attack chroma location from a clean slate.

FrameRateConverter was also updated with a new preset RIFE-HQ, which is based on "Slowest", while RIFE preset is based on "Slower". This is my last version for FRC as I consider it now legacy and switch my efforts to OpticalFlowRIFE(), the wrapper I made for Asd-g's port of RIFE for avisynth.

By the way, it seems Windows 10 22H2 stable was released yesterday. I will be looking into it after I update ResizersPack. IMO installing Win11 on a not supported CPU is risky and bothersome, you have to depend on hacks that might or not work, and later pray for an update to don't ruin it all. Besides it's still too green, many BSODs as seen recently for Nvidia cards, taskbar issues (might be fixed with yesterday's update), and generally no drivers for a PC 10 years old like mine. I will install it when I get a new PC in a few years time when AVX-512 is again a thing, prices go down and Win11 is more mature.

Tags
avisynth, dogway, filters, hbd, packs