Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th November 2011, 13:18   #1  |  Link
Musafir_86
Lone Wanderer

Restoring MP4, H.264, AAC (Media Foundation) Support for WMP11 on Vista

Hello everyone,

-Firstly, as we know, Windows Vista doesn't have built-in support for MP4 container format, H.264 video, or AAC audio. We need to install third-party software (such as DivX Plus HD package, or ffdshow with Haali splitter) to enable it, or we may use standalone players (such as VideoLAN or mplayer).

-However, with the "Platform Update Supplement" (KB2117917), which Microsoft released to provide HTML5 video (MP4+H.264+AAC) supports in Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) on Windows Vista, this OS now have native decoding capabilities for those formats (through Media Foundation (MF) "Source Reader").

-Earlier, I tried playing several H.264/AVC video (in MP4 files) with Windows Media Player 11 (WMP11), and I found that some files could be opened and played fine, some files could be played the audio only, and some files couldn't be opened at all. The files that could be properly played are the "lower quality" MP4 video files from Building Windows 8 blog (I tested with 4-5 video files). The "higher quality" MP4 would just play the audio only.

-Then, thinking maybe the built-in MP4 demuxer/splitter doesn't have enough support, I downloaded and installed LAV Splitters (v0.39). To my dismay, now WMP11 wouldn't play any H.264 video at all! Yes, maybe it's because LAV Splitter is DirectShow component, which may not be able to 'communicate' with MF properly.

-So, I uninstalled that LAV Splitter back, but, after that WMP11 still cannot play those files. I tried to re-register MF components (AX and DLL files) in system32 and SysWOW64, but to no avail. Trying to reinstall KB2117917 also failed. However, AAC audio files could still be played fine.

My question:
-How do I restore and reenable the lost function back to normal? Any help is really appreciated, thank you.

Regards,
-Musafir_86.

P/S: I'm sure that MF H.264 Decoder (MFH264Dec.dll) that did the decoding earlier because DXVA Checker showed DXVA is active during WMP playback, and I doesn't have any H.264 decoder installed (except Emuzed decoder which comes with Nokia PC Suite, but it doesn't support DXVA).
Musafir_86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxva, h.264, media foundation, vista, wmp