Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 12th March 2011, 05:19   #1  |  Link
robpdotcom

Xin1generator: Create Ordered Chapter mkv's from Seamless Branching BluRay's

Hello,

I'd like to introduce a program I've been using for a few months (not my project, just spreading the word). It's called xin1generator, and what it does is this:

If you have a Bluray with multiple editions on one disc (such as Avatar, with the Theatrical, Special Edition, and Director's Cut), it will help you create a single mkv file with all versions of the movie - and allow you to select and play any version, just as you would with the disc. The total file size will usually be slightly larger than the longest version of the movie, and much smaller than ripping each version separately. There's no limit on the number of editions, so you can keep as many as you like.

It uses eac3to to demux the streams, generate a Matroska ordered chapter file, a Matroska tag file, and even generates a file with a list of frames that need to be encoded as I-Frames if re-encoding. Once it has finished demuxing, you use a Matroska muxer (such as MKVMerge or Haali's GDSMux) to create the mkv and add the chapters and tag files.

The author recently created a GUI which makes everything dead-simple:

How To Use

Most of the options/parameters are self-explanatory, but here's a quick rundown of what they do:

Available titles - Lists all the titles on the disc, from longest to shortest (the longer titles will be the different versions of the film)

Selected titles - As you add the titles you want to keep, they will appear here. You can choose the names, which will go into the tag file (Special Edition, Director's Cut, Theatrical Version, etc).

The "Extract tracks" check box will allow you to select only the streams you want - un-check it to extract all streams.

Tracks - If you check the "Extract track" box, here you can select the streams you want eac3to to extract, and in the box to the right of the stream, you can specify the format you want to extract it as - or leave it alone to keep it in it's original format.

The "Preserve Chapters" option - To play correctly, xin1generator must create many chapter marks. Selecting this option hides all chapter marks that do not correspond to the original movie chapters. I highly recommend checking this option.

After extracting all the streams, you can drag/drop them into mmg (MKVmergeGUI). Then, from mmg's Global tab, add the tags.xml and chapters.xml files that xin1generator created. Then, mux as you would any other mkv.

Playback

Haali is the only splitter which currently supports ordered chapters, and no hardware players support them yet either. However, the movie will still be playable with any software/hardware that supports Matroska - it will simply play the first edition, followed by the segments which make up the other editions in the file.

When playing the movie, you can use Haali's tray icon to select which edition you want to watch. Or, in MPC-HC, right click > Filters:

Links

Download the latest xin1generator here:

Direct Link

Project Home Page

Extract the files into your eac3to folder. It includes the GUI, or can be run as a command line tool.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can.
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 16th October 2011 at 21:56.
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 13:46   #2  |  Link
b66pak

sweet...
_
Old 16th May 2011, 11:16   #3  |  Link
chagos

I've got these errors with the blu-ray Salt (2010) 3in1:
"Command line used:

"F:\Files\mkvmerge.exe" --output-charset UTF-8 --identify-for-mmg "F:\Salt\mkv\chapters.xml"

Output:

Error: File F:\Salt\mkv\chapters.xml has unknown type. Please have a look at the supported file types ('mkvmerge --list-types') and contact the author Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org> if your file type is supported but not recognized properly."

and

"Command line used:

"F:\Files\mkvmerge.exe" --output-charset UTF-8 --identify-for-mmg "F:\Salt\mkv\tags.xml"

Output:

Error: File F:\Salt\mkv\tags.xml has unknown type. Please have a look at the supported file types ('mkvmerge --list-types') and contact the author Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org> if your file type is supported but not recognized properly."

Edit: My fault, I've forget that tags and chapters files can be imported only from "Global" tab.

Last edited by chagos; 16th May 2011 at 13:16.
chagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 04:13   #4  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

I am getting this error always after clicking on the Start button. Tested with different Blu-rays:

Quote:
Error: could not find file:

BDMV\PLAYLIST\HVDVD_TS\00800.mpls
The file is there, but not in this location. There isn't a folder called HVDVD_TS.

I think this is a bug. The program is looking for a path that never existed in decrypted Blu-rays to begin with.

It should look for:

BDMV\PLAYLIST\00800.mpls

Edited: The author fixed that bug in the 0.11 version you forgot to mention:
http://code.google.com/p/xin1generator/downloads/list

- Fixed detection of Blu-ray titles with multiple angles.
- Minor GUI tweak.

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 9th October 2011 at 04:23. Reason: Found 0.11 version
Lincoln Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 17:46   #5  |  Link
robpdotcom

To answer your question from another thread, this uses eac3to and will NOT touch the quality of any of the streams - there is no conversion going on, just demuxing. Just make sure you select the appropriate output type: I suggest mkv for any h.264 stream(this prevents you from needing to specify the framerate with mkvmerge), and leave the rest with the "*".
AMD 6870
Old 12th October 2011, 16:55   #6  |  Link
mbcd

Are there any ideas how you could demux a movie later?

I mean:
In one year I need to have only the directors-cut, so how could I demux audio, video and everything else ONLY from the directors-cut-version?

Demuxing the whole mkv will end in a unsorted mix of all versions inside and that is bad.

So how can I extract only one selected title ?
mbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 03:26   #7  |  Link
robpdotcom

Whichever edition you select first from the xin1 gui, that edition should be complete from beginning to end, with the other editions appended on to the end. So, the first edition can easily be extracted by simply splitting it.

Another option is to use Graphstudio:

The chain would be Source > Haali > SMM Muxer > File Writer. As long as you don't have any decoders in the chain, SMM will mux whatever Haali sends it, and you can select the edition you want by right clicking on the Haali box in the graph. Click the "play" button to start the muxing (circled in red). The downsides: you lose chapters, but you can create those manually, and in some cases I needed to run the mkv through mmg to remux it:

AMD 6870
Old 13th October 2011, 12:56   #8  |  Link
mbcd

Good idea !

But then you have to demux the file twice again, because on this way you can only select ONE Audiotrack, and ONE Subtitletrack.

If you have more than one of each tracktypes you have to redo demuxing. Thats possible, of course, but not a fine or optimal way.
All a lot of work in the moment.

A nice suggestion would be to have a option in X1, or a seperate Tool for demuxing.

Must have a look if it is possible to demux with mkvextract and a modified chapterfile.

But very nice tool ! I like it, keep on developing please !
mbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 14:53   #9  |  Link
robpdotcom

If you need extra audio/subs, then you can set the graph up again, but without connecting the video pin. It's still not ideal, but it would save time and space.
AMD 6870
Old 13th October 2011, 20:34   #10  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

a "Stop working" button will be nice.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 17:51   #11  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

robpdotcom, how is this program really working? I don't get it.

Look what I said here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...38&postcount=4

Will you be able to switch between specific scenes with multi-angles? Or do we need to have a full 2 hour alternate version to merge with the original one?

I mean, let's say the DC version only features an alternate scene between 30m and 35 minutes. Will I be able to do this and continue watching the rest of the movie after 35 minutes?

As I said in that thread, if I switch to video stream #2, right after the 2nd angle ends, it stops the playback. But it should not do that.
Old 16th October 2011, 18:30   #12  |  Link
robpdotcom

Are you using it to rip the movie from the disc?
AMD 6870
Old 16th October 2011, 20:47   #13  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Are you using it to rip the movie from the disc?
I have a Blu-ray decrypted in my Hard Drive.

Anyway, I followed your steps and got the following files:

chapters.xml
qpfile.txt
tags.xml
track1 - Log.txt
track1.h264 (forgot to put mkv, but it's simply a matter of writing 24000/1001 in MKVToolnix - will that be OK?)
track2.dtsma
track3.ac3 (and a few others)
track9.sup (and a few others)

Now what should I do? I mean, I selected the stream files in MKVMerge, but I don't know if I should select both chapters.xml and tags.xml files.

Is that OK?

Note: Before answering please look what I said (and someone replied) here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152799

And I am doing this with that Star Wars movie mentioned.

Last edited by Lincoln Burrows; 16th October 2011 at 20:50.
Lincoln Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 21:06   #14  |  Link
robpdotcom

It looks like you did everything correctly except the tag file should be added via the global options tab. Once you are finished, you can select the title via the Haali tray icon, or in MPC-HC by: right click > Filters. As far as ripping the video stream to mkv instead of an h264 file, I've read that you should never extract raw h264 streams, and I've also read that it is no longer an issue with mmg.... I've never had problems either way, but I let eac3to extract as mkv to be safe.

BTW: If you want to change the default title, you can open the chapters.xml file in Notepad. Look for the lines "<EditionFlagDefault>X</EditionFlagDefault>". You will see this for each edition (title). A "1" means default, a "0" means not default. You can add the chapter file without remuxing via mmg "Chapter Editor" tab - drag the file into the "Chapters" field, and then select "Add to Matroska File from the Chapter Editor pull down menu (located above the tabs). Select the mkv, and mmg will take a few moments to add the new chapters.

AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 16th October 2011 at 21:23.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:14   #15  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Well, it seems it's not working. It only created a MKV file with several chapters, but no sign from the alternate credits.

I forgot to add the DTS-HD MA track to MKVMerge (it was saved using the extension dtsma, that's why MKVMerge couldn't find when I selected all streams). Anyway, even with the other streams, I couldn't find this 2nd angle...
Old 16th October 2011, 22:45   #16  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Burrows View Post
\I couldn't find this 2nd angle...
Did you right click on the Haali tray icon?
AMD 6870
Old 16th October 2011, 23:43   #17  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Did you right click on the Haali tray icon?
OK, let's do this again... this time including that missing DTS-HD MA track.

Do I need to do this to switch between versions? I thought it was only necessary to navigate between the player menus...
Old 17th October 2011, 00:05   #18  |  Link
robpdotcom

You cannot change editions through the player's navigation menu.

I edited my first post in this thread - it explains how to switch editions.
AMD 6870
Old 17th October 2011, 01:09   #19  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

It worked! But is raises one last question: what if I wanted to add a new audio or subtitle stream into the generated MKV file?

Will I just need to open the MKV with MKVMerge to do so?
Old 17th October 2011, 01:43   #20  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Burrows View Post
It worked! But is raises one last question: what if I wanted to add a new audio or subtitle stream into the generated MKV file?

Will I just need to open the MKV with MKVMerge to do so?
Well, first you would need to extract the new stream with xin1 - making sure to choose the titles in the same order as you did for the original.

Then, you could mux it in with mmg. However, I'm not sure if the tag file is kept when remuxing (I think it is), so you might need to get that when you extract the new stream.

Later on I'll explain how to create tag files manually, and how to add them to existing mkv's (it can be done in a few seconds without remuxing).
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 17th October 2011 at 01:46.