Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2014, 20:22   #1641  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
I know time cannot be saved or banked, so to me OUTPUT_FOLDER=p is a sweet option for a different target drive other than directory on the same drive.

The look of the Quick-Play menu is really useful with its features. A very sweet bonus is, and respect to multiAVCHD, you didn't force, or make by default any automatic music/noises. The only thing I'd like to see added, but don't expect it, would be an option for chapters. That way either a movie from Alternate MKV or...iDevice movies could have chapters. From a programmers view, I can see where that might be a lot more code than you might be willing to add. LOL!
Not sure I know what you mean... but if you are backing up a disc (BD) to MKV or MP4 -- chapters are already maintained.
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:39   #1642  |  Link
Sharc

Quick-menu: The possibility to select the audio language would be useful. I can always select it via the remote but the procedure is different with every brand of TV/remote.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:48   #1643  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Not sure I know what you mean... but if you are backing up a disc (BD) to MKV or MP4 -- chapters are already maintained.
Mmm...I thought in context to Quick-Play is was clear. Okay, shall have another go: From the Quick-Play Menu, displayed through BD Player a generic button for "Chapters" for a single movie. Activating the button would then cause a new menu to display and display chapters. Maybe in pre-defined time segments? In picture form or text and pictures or only text. "Chapter 1" etc.

If chapters already exist, then chapters are made from the chapter data within the MKV/MP4. I'm not meaning making chapters FOR the movie..I'm meaning make chapters for Chapters Menu. A generic menu.
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:55   #1644  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
Mmm...I thought in context to Quick-Play is was clear. Okay, shall have another go: From the Quick-Play Menu, displayed through BD Player a generic button for "Chapters" for a single movie. Activating the button would then cause a new menu to display and display chapters. Maybe in pre-defined time segments? In picture form or text and pictures or only text. "Chapter 1" etc.

If chapters already exist, then chapters are made from the chapter data within the MKV/MP4. I'm not meaning making chapters FOR the movie..I'm meaning make chapters for Chapters Menu. A generic menu.
Oh, I see what you mean. You're asking for a chapter menu. That wasn't clear in your first post.

If I decided to do a PRO version, one of the things I'd considered was a lot of extended authoring capability. You know, a way to edit/customize menus, etc. -- that might be something I could consider there.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd December 2014 at 21:00.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 21:04   #1645  |  Link
AmigaFuture

It was clear to me ( ), but...I can, upon reading it from less distraction...2nd is more so. It's cool. If you're willing...only a hope. Otherwise, the program has surpassed all of my past expectations.
Old 6th December 2014, 08:40   #1646  |  Link
Dandimite

audio settings

is it possible to add a feature, in which hd-audio is kept only for the main movie? i do have some discs whith extras containing pcm audio, which would be fine in AC3
thanks, Dandimite
Dandimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 03:57   #1647  |  Link
DoctorM

It's been previously requested by me (and IIRC seconded), the ability to right-click a VID and like "Blank this item", select "Do not reencode this item".

I like to do this with discs where the movie fits fine untouched on a BD25 with a few GB left over that I can compress the menus and bonus features into. (I remember doing this often with DVD Shrink back in the day).

Since it currently isn't possible (and I don't think on the 'To Do List'), I have on occasionally manually created this sort of disc by generating 2 discs, one with the untouched feature, and one re-encoded using a custom disc size then manually putting the two discs together.

The only drawback is that any custom size less than a BD25 has its max bitrate capped at 15mbps (AVCHD spec), even if strict isn't used. That's a shame since I copy it into a BD25 disc later.

Is there currently a way (hidden feature or something) to have BD-RB use full BD specs for discs under BD25 or at least when using a custom output size?
DoctorM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 17:23   #1648  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

@Jdobbs:

- Would it be possible to add a menu entry under "Help" or something to open the log? Kind of like IMGBurn can, but open it directly in the associated program. IMGburn just opens the folder. That way if the user wants to open the log, (s)he doesn't have to go dig to the working folder to find it. It can be accessed from within bdrb

- Would it be possible to add a menu entry under "Help" or something to erase the saved log

- Would it be possible to add erasing functionality to the "log" tab; reason for this is that i often run multiple encodes after another (but don't always use the batch), so after 1 job finishes i manually navigate to the 2nd one, do what needs to be done (blanking wise) then launch it. However, then the log tab still shows the previous encode info. Personally, i'd rather only have the log tab show the log for the current encode. So it sort of starts with a "fresh" tab every job.

Oh and something i've been wondering lately. Whats the difference between having "verbose status reporting" enabled and disabled?
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 17:30   #1649  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Oh and something i've been wondering lately. Whats the difference between having "verbose status reporting" enabled and disabled?
The verbose option reports some things in the log that non-verbose does not. You just reminded me -- I've been meaning to remove that as an option (and only use verbose) for some time now.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:36   #1650  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

lol, glad i help as your reminder assistant. That only leaves the feature requests. If and how you implement them is up to you (but i hope you will)
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 19:56   #1651  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
......The only drawback is that any custom size less than a BD25 has its max bitrate capped at 15mbps (AVCHD spec), even if strict isn't used. That's a shame since I copy it into a BD25 disc later.....
Just wondering if the capped 15Mbps are really a practical limitation, because it only applies to heavily compressed extras once you keep the main feature untouched.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2014, 22:47   #1652  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Just wondering if the capped 15Mbps are really a practical limitation, because it only applies to heavily compressed extras once you keep the main feature untouched.
You can't keep the main feature untouched on BD-5/9. It would violate the disc's maximum speed.
Old 19th December 2014, 00:52   #1653  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
You can't keep the main feature untouched on BD-5/9. It would violate the disc's maximum speed.
Indeed, and I understand that's why you set it up like that. I know you don't want people encoding in one size to be copied to another size because of (likely) self-inflicted problems.

But then what is the purpose of 'Custom Target Size'? Each disc size can already be adjusted manually by the hidden BDXX_Size=.

I would think Custom Size would function in a manner that BD specs are applied unless 'Strict AVCHD' is enabled and then AVCHD limits engaged. Of course the problem there is Strict AVCHD applies to movie-only rebuilds.

I don't know how useful a hidden option like CUSTOMTARGET_MAXBITRATE=n would be to other people.
Mind you I was only asking because I thought there might already be such an option.

Of course, I only really just need the ability to not re-encode specific VIDs. So that would have my preference for an added feature.

Edit: @Sharc - Even at lower average bitrates, the ability to peak higher can still improve quality. I think practicality doesn't enter into it, just AVCHD specs.

Last edited by DoctorM; 19th December 2014 at 00:56.
Old 19th December 2014, 01:55   #1654  |  Link
jdobbs

I don't agree at all.

Custom Target Size has any of a few thousand possible uses. The hidden options you mention are for advanced users, and are hidden for a reason. They aren't meant to be changed except when someone wants to "stretch" or "limit" the target a little.

Strict AVCHD is meant for a specific group of players that have limitations in the file structure they will accept.

It just makes sense that when someone creates a disc to fit on something smaller than 8.5GB -- you can assume it is BD-5/9 since there is no BD-R smaller than BD-25.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th December 2014 at 02:58.
Old 19th December 2014, 05:56   #1655  |  Link
omegaman7

Please forgive Jdobbs, but that's not entirely accurate. There are mini BD-R 7.5GB discs. Those would fall under an interesting set of circumstances(Their disc speed would handle higher bitrates). But those are rather expensive. Who would backup movies to HD cam Discs? Frankly, most my backups end up on hard drives. Only my more precious backups end up on reliable BD-R.
Old 19th December 2014, 17:02   #1656  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman7 View Post
Please forgive Jdobbs, but that's not entirely accurate. There are mini BD-R 7.5GB discs. Those would fall under an interesting set of circumstances(Their disc speed would handle higher bitrates). But those are rather expensive. Who would backup movies to HD cam Discs? Frankly, most my backups end up on hard drives. Only my more precious backups end up on reliable BD-R.
Exactly. Those are specialized for recording on camera. So from you PC all you'd do is read. Only a crazy person would backup their movies to a $16 7.5GB specialized disc.
Old 19th December 2014, 21:10   #1657  |  Link
DoctorM

Understood. Again, I was largely asking if it was already implemented since there are a lot of other hidden features that seem to venture into extreme tweaking.
Old 20th December 2014, 00:27   #1658  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Understood. Again, I was largely asking if it was already implemented since there are a lot of other hidden features that seem to venture into extreme tweaking.
I'll see how hard it would be to add a hidden option that will override the BD-5/9 limitations.

I hesitate though... the majority of people who create self-inflicted problems don't understand enough to know that it is self-inflicted. But they think they do (Toilet-Duck comes to mind). They just tell their friends and post in forums that BD-RB creates a disc that skips, freezes, and has problems. They always seem to leave out the "I set a hidden option that caused it" part.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th December 2014 at 00:32.
Old 20th December 2014, 06:28   #1659  |  Link
HWK

Quote:
I'll see how hard it would be to add a hidden option that will override the BD-5/9 limitations.

I hesitate though... the majority of people who create self-inflicted problems don't understand enough to know that it is self-inflicted. But they think they do (Toilet-Duck comes to mind). They just tell their friends and post in forums that BD-RB creates a disc that skips, freezes, and has problems. They always seem to leave out the "I set a hidden option that caused it" part.
Sadly yes, to make more interesting they don' t want to cooperate. As you may know by experience and expect us to be mind reader some how.

Old 22nd December 2014, 01:56   #1660  |  Link
DoctorM

Has anyone asked about a "Play All" button for the quick play menus?