Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th January 2019, 20:01   #54341  |  Link
XMonarchY

This says that native dithering is possible with NVidia Linux drivers and Windows Quadro drivers and now regular GeForce cards, but I can't get it to work or figure out how to test it https://steamcommunity.com/groups/Sp...8172123104780/

Is this how it is supposed to look like in the registry https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uin...w?usp=drivesdk ?
Old 20th January 2019, 20:13   #54342  |  Link
huhn

nvidia is using dithering in like forever and it's very easy to test.

the examples are more about the the type of dithering in an ideal situation we don't want the image from madVR to be dithered by the driver.

so the only useful situation i can see here is the 6 bit dithering which madVR can already do...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 20:20   #54343  |  Link
giulianoprs

Set the hardware device to "Automatic (Native)" not the RTX 2070, always? in the LAV video filters do you have to put it this way? I set rx 560, so it's wrong?
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 20:34   #54344  |  Link
huhn

not selecting a GPU results in native mode which is supposed to be faster but you can't use all blackbar detection features and other stuff like deinterlancing.

selecting a GPU is better for compatibility but DXVA copyback does the same and DXVA copyback was faster than D3D11 copyback if i remember correctly but not that it matters.
Old 20th January 2019, 21:19   #54345  |  Link
giulianoprs

but the non-selection of the GPU in the lav is for 4k hdr files or for everything? me with 1080p material I feel very comfortable with DVXA copyback and I have no problems, reading the message of warner I came the doubt
giulianoprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 21:30   #54346  |  Link
huhn

what no doesn't matter if your system works properly.

warners advise is clearly worth a try but it doesn't mean you have to do or use that.
Old 20th January 2019, 21:31   #54347  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
nvidia is using dithering in like forever and it's very easy to test.

the examples are more about the the type of dithering in an ideal situation we don't want the image from madVR to be dithered by the driver.

so the only useful situation i can see here is the 6 bit dithering which madVR can already do...
I could never notice NVidia performing any dithering by itself, at least not in games or video playback without madVR and dithering-enabling filters/renderers.

Perhaps this was not the most appropriate place to post that info, but I generally wanted to know how to truly enable NVidia dithering for desktop. That way Netflix content gets dithered... I doubt we will ever see madVR support for Microsoft Store Netflix App. Therefore driver-forced dithering is the only way to enable it for Netflix...
Old 20th January 2019, 21:44   #54348  |  Link
huhn

you missing the point there is nothing to dither after your netflix app/browser.

and games send presentation frame to the driver if they are not before that then there simply isn't anything to dither which wouldn't be dithered anyway.

it is very simple to test if nvidia is dithering.

you take a gray scale load it in madVR with 10 presentation and you force your GPU driver to send 8 bit RGB.

if you don't see 256 steps the driver is clearly dithering.

Quote:
In short, all displays dither but not all do it properly for various reasons (ex: TN panel displays).
You will either benefit from this, or see no difference at all.
If you see no differences with any of the options then congratulations your display does dithering proper.
if your display is fine with dithering you don'T see anything different?? that's not how this works...
Old 20th January 2019, 22:19   #54349  |  Link
tp4tissue

God Damn It, just noticed AMD Dxva 4KHDR causes banding.. That's it, Final Straw, I'm selling my RX580..

Not going to sit around waiting for fixes for 3 years..

Sad, because I got a great deal on this card, Overclocks like a champ and runs super cool.

Gonna have to buy another 1060, sigh... all these ebay miner 1060s look so ragged/shi77y ..

Last edited by tp4tissue; 20th January 2019 at 22:21.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 00:26   #54350  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
God Damn It, just noticed AMD Dxva 4KHDR causes banding.. That's it, Final Straw, I'm selling my RX580..

Not going to sit around waiting for fixes for 3 years..

Sad, because I got a great deal on this card, Overclocks like a champ and runs super cool.

Gonna have to buy another 1060, sigh... all these ebay miner 1060s look so ragged/shi77y ..
cant say ive noticed any, under what conditions / material ?
Old 21st January 2019, 00:39   #54351  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Set the hardware device to "Automatic (Native)" not the RTX 2070.
I follow your indication and the only option that activate hardware decoding was CUVID (look at the attached image).
In this way massive dropped frames are vanished.
Now it's ok.

Thank you.

My question is: the only kind of hardware accelleration supported by those nvidia cards is Cuvid?

thank you
Attached Images

actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 00:45   #54352  |  Link
el Filou

No, something is wrong with your setup, you should be able to use any DXVA mode successfully.
Do you have multiple displays or multiple GPUs, and is the one you're using to display video configured as the main (first) one?
Old 21st January 2019, 01:13   #54353  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
cant say ive noticed any, under what conditions / material ?
I got the Martian on 4K HDR, I could especially see the Banding on the Mars Red Sky in the intro sequences of the movie. This is through DXVA native on the 580.

This is on the latest adrenaline driver with 09217 madvr.

I agree it could very well be my Particular TV Computer/ Cable, software, etc,

I'm just at wits end with this, and I know my kitchen computer w/ 1060 does 4KHDR just fine, So.. My patience has been exceeded..

Last edited by tp4tissue; 21st January 2019 at 01:19.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 01:18   #54354  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
No, something is wrong with your setup, you should be able to use any DXVA mode successfully.
Do you have multiple displays or multiple GPUs, and is the one you're using to display video configured as the main (first) one?
I'm not Super duper sure if the cpu can do 4K 60.. with the 64bit mpchc Avx + 8 thread hw , it SHOULD..

DXVA definitely can do it though, so gotta select DXVA native in Lavfilter hardware acceleration.
Old 21st January 2019, 01:38   #54355  |  Link
huhn

chill is has to work with d3d11 and copyback too.

DXVA native is well known to make problem BTW.
Old 21st January 2019, 03:26   #54356  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
chill is has to work with d3d11 and copyback too.

DXVA native is well known to make problem BTW.

On nvidia and ati ?

Which lav setting is the best alternative to CPU decoding.
Old 21st January 2019, 03:57   #54357  |  Link
huhn

DXVA2 native decoding can do all kind of stuff with the image.

i know that for nvidia the chroma is misplaced by half a sub pixel with DXVA native and deinterlancing.

not sure what AMD is currently doing wrong but bilinear chroma is not the hit anyway. bending is clearly a possibility. beware that bending could come from d3d11 full screen or d3d11 fullscreen window too so check those. nvidia broke d3d11 fullscreen window a long while ago which is now fixed.

just use DXVA copyback which should do until 8k which hopefully never takes foot.
Old 21st January 2019, 04:45   #54358  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
DXVA2 native decoding can do all kind of stuff with the image.

i know that for nvidia the chroma is misplaced by half a sub pixel with DXVA native and deinterlancing.

not sure what AMD is currently doing wrong but bilinear chroma is not the hit anyway. bending is clearly a possibility. beware that bending could come from d3d11 full screen or d3d11 fullscreen window too so check those. nvidia broke d3d11 fullscreen window a long while ago which is now fixed.

just use DXVA copyback which should do until 8k which hopefully never takes foot.

How does dxva copyback improve upon dxva's problems. As in, how does it work..

also does dxva native while using madvr's chroma have any issues ?

Finally, what is the highest Nvidia driver that everyone's using with known compatibility.
Old 21st January 2019, 07:50   #54359  |  Link
Asmodian

DXVA2 Copy-back copies the video data from the memory on the GPU to system memory after hardware decoding. This allows code that runs on the CPU to access the video data but takes PCIe bandwidth. The data is also copied back to the GPU for further processing by madVR, and then finally sent to the GPU driver for display. This is why you want at least PCIe 2.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x8. For 4K60 HDR you might need more?

To complicate this Nvidia, with all drivers as far as I know, has that odd half pixel chroma offset which madVR avoids in copy-back mode by handling all chroma scaling itself. With DXVA2 Native there is a blur or similar damage when coping the chroma to madVR (GPU to GPU memory copy), even when using non-dxva chroma scaling. D3D11 Native avoids this issue. Nvidia's DXVA2 deinterlacing still has chroma issues no matter what chroma scaling you use.

Everything seems to work well for me with the current 417.71 drivers on a RTX 2080 Ti, Win10 1809 17763.253. HDR requires 10-bit output but both D3D11 fullscreen windowed and exclusive work well, with the GPU outputting 8-bit RGB to my LG C7P. I can add a custom mode for 23.976 Hz and optimize it.

Last edited by Asmodian; 21st January 2019 at 08:02.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 10:12   #54360  |  Link
actarusfleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post

Thank you so much for replying me.
It is very important to me to know that my rtx 2070 can do other hardware decoding different of Cuvid!
Now I know that I've some problem.

Yes, my mobo (Asus H110M-K D3) has an onboard gpu.
Now I'm trying to find a way to turn off this graphic card.
Yesterday I've read the user manual but it seems there is no way to turn off it....

In the windows screen control panel I've set to use only the nvidia card but all remains the same... The only acceleration that works for me remains Cuvid...
actarusfleed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling