Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th October 2010, 01:55   #9901  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV91913 View Post
Roxio may be crap but it played the original BluRay disk just fine and it played the rip just fine. I just thought there might be something going on with the extraction. Sorry for bothering you.
Unfortunately, though, I only accept bug reports for issues that happen on standalone players. The software players are just too buggy and I've gone down rabbit holes too many times for issues that were the player's fault.

Even if the original worked -- that doesn't mean anything... players can be forgiving to problems because they don't have to be accurate. For example, if they have a bad sector they'll jump over it and you might just see a momentary glitch. When reencoding, however, you can't do that... you need all the data so it can be reencoded, and something like a bad sector will stop the encode in its tracks.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th October 2010 at 01:58.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 04:29   #9902  |  Link
MickJT

I cannot get BD Rebuilder to set my codecs properly. Almost everything is fine, but it still says "- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Not Set correctly". Furthermore, what is the recommended ffdshow version? I'm guessing it doesn't matter if your AviSynth and ffdshow are the latest. Of course, i'm running BD_Rebuilder.exe as an Administrator.

I'm surprised BD-Rebuilder wanted the VC-1 codec set to wmv9. That was what was causing all sorts of problems with sync months ago. I guess things have changed since then.

Edit: Managed to fix it using Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker and set 32bit MPEG2 to "ffdshow". Now "Inspect.exe" shows "Ok" for everything except AviSynth and ffmpeg (not recommended versions).

Last edited by MickJT; 19th October 2010 at 04:37.
Old 19th October 2010, 08:29   #9903  |  Link
setarip_old

@MickJT

Hi!

To solve your problem, simply go to Post #1 of this thread and click on the links to download and install the SPECIFIC REQUIRED VERSIONS of AVISynth and ffmpeg...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 13:58   #9904  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
I cannot get BD Rebuilder to set my codecs properly. Almost everything is fine, but it still says "- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Not Set correctly". Furthermore, what is the recommended ffdshow version? I'm guessing it doesn't matter if your AviSynth and ffdshow are the latest. Of course, i'm running BD_Rebuilder.exe as an Administrator.

I'm surprised BD-Rebuilder wanted the VC-1 codec set to wmv9. That was what was causing all sorts of problems with sync months ago. I guess things have changed since then.

Edit: Managed to fix it using Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker and set 32bit MPEG2 to "ffdshow". Now "Inspect.exe" shows "Ok" for everything except AviSynth and ffmpeg (not recommended versions).
If it isn't the recommended versions you can expect problems. Please don't report them as bugs.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:16   #9905  |  Link
[SLiM]D12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Not sure I understand exactly what you did, but if you replaced a .DTS with a .AC3, you can't do that without some manipulation. There are references to the type of audio (DTS/AC3) in the CLPI and MPLS files.

First run the job through BD-RB telling it to reencode the DTS to AC3. After it completes, replace the AC3 file in the working folder with the one from the DVD -- then start BD-RB again and tell it to resume. It will rebuild using the new AC3 and you'll be done. Make sure, though, that the bitrates etc match (the DVD is probably 5.1 448Kbs).
thx for the help jdobbs. This kinda worked, where the ouput was ac3, but for whatever reason, when i overwrote the workfiles like you said with the ac3 i wanted to use, it wasn't injecting it into the video (dunno wtf was goin on)

i was able to use tsmuxer to remove the original ac3, and re-mux with the one i wanted to use and from my testing so far it's working.

so right now its the bluray using the ac3 audio from the dvd.

thx again
Old 19th October 2010, 17:49   #9906  |  Link
CV91913

Quote:
Unfortunately, though, I only accept bug reports for issues that happen on standalone players. The software players are just too buggy and I've gone down rabbit holes too many times for issues that were the player's fault.

Even if the original worked -- that doesn't mean anything... players can be forgiving to problems because they don't have to be accurate. For example, if they have a bad sector they'll jump over it and you might just see a momentary glitch. When reencoding, however, you can't do that... you need all the data so it can be reencoded, and something like a bad sector will stop the encode in its tracks.
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, and, as a software developer for more than 25 years...I understand rabbit holes. I did not say that the encode had any problems. It was the LACK of encode. My point was that the video stream was playable from the rip but was not playable after BD-RB had extracted, muxed and rebuilt the file structure for the BD25. The files were small enough that the BD25 build did NOT need to be reencoded. I used the BD25 file structure that BD-RB made and made a BD5 which played just fine so BD-RB obviously did not have a problem reencoding the video. I have made 30+ backups using BD-RB and probably 9 or 10 have not required reencoding and this has only occurred 3 times, so, it is not dramatic. BTW...I agree that Roxio Cineplayer is not the greatest piece of software around.
CV91913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 20:13   #9907  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, and, as a software developer for more than 25 years...I understand rabbit holes. I did not say that the encode had any problems. It was the LACK of encode. My point was that the video stream was playable from the rip but was not playable after BD-RB had extracted, muxed and rebuilt the file structure for the BD25. The files were small enough that the BD25 build did NOT need to be reencoded. I used the BD25 file structure that BD-RB made and made a BD5 which played just fine so BD-RB obviously did not have a problem reencoding the video. I have made 30+ backups using BD-RB and probably 9 or 10 have not required reencoding and this has only occurred 3 times, so, it is not dramatic. BTW...I agree that Roxio Cineplayer is not the greatest piece of software around.
Well, as a software developer with over 35 years experience... and one who understands this particular area a lot better than I believe you do -- I disagree. The example I gave was only an example. There are many other things at work here -- and the bottom line is that I don't accept reports from buggy software players. No slight intended... but it's entirely my call. End of story.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th October 2010 at 20:18.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:26   #9908  |  Link
CV91913

Quote:
Well, as a software developer with over 35 years experience... and one who understands this particular area a lot better than I believe you do -- I disagree. The example I gave was only an example. There are many other things at work here -- and the bottom line is that I don't accept reports from buggy software players. No slight intended... but it's entirely my call. End of story.
I get it. You're smarter and more experienced. What I don't get is what you are disagreeing with. Is it that CinePlayer is not great piece of software? That is the only opinion I gave.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:37   #9909  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I get it. You're smarter and more experienced. What I don't get is what you are disagreeing with. Is it that CinePlayer is not great piece of software? That is the only opinion I gave.
Sigh... Why does this have to be so hard? I guess what you're saying is that you made no point in your previous post? Exactly what "dead horse" were you beating then? I'm telling you that it is playing back correctly on your standalone player as you said here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV91913
If I burn it to BD it will play on a standalone BluRay player but not in a PC.
So, your other means of testing (the software player) isn't (in my mind) a reason to respond to the bug report. Why? Because I only accept reports from standalone players. Why? Because software players are even more buggy than my beta software and the problem is usually in the player, not the source. Why? Hell, I don't know, ask the people who write them -- but people keep on using them for testing regardless of how many times I say this. Why? Because people just don't listen and love to argue.

Once, just once I'd like to be able to post a simple fact or rule for bug reporting without having to continually debate it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th October 2010 at 23:03.
Old 20th October 2010, 00:03   #9910  |  Link
CV91913

[QUOTE=jdobbs;1451646 Because I only accept reports from standalone players.

Once, just once I'd like to be able to post a simple fact or rule for bug reporting without having to continually debate it.[/QUOTE]

Whoa...I really didn't want to start a debate. I did not realize that I had broken a rule. I have read and re-read the Forum Rules and saw nothing about stand alone only. Have done a search in the thread for posting rules and found no such list. I would not want to break another rule. Could you please point me to the rules list you are referring to?
Old 20th October 2010, 00:38   #9911  |  Link
jdobbs

For a guy who "didn't want to start a debate" -- you sure can't stop doing so. Here's the bottom line: This is my software -- which I'm giving away for free, by the way -- and I make the rules as to their beta testing/reporting. You, on the other hand, are contributing nothing except useless posts.

As for rules on the forum... how about:

Rule 1: Read up before asking -- the instructions related to standalones has been addressed at least 10 times in this very thread
Rule 1a: Use the search button -- if you did, we you'd know the instructions and we wouldn't be having this discussion
Rule 3: Keep the focus, this thread is for bug reports not for you to stand on a soapbox proclaiming that you've read the rules
Rule 16: Instructions by the moderator (me in this case) are to be followed
Rule 17: No discussion about the rules or their interpretation.

It's not my fault that you have "read the rules" but don't understand them. But, if you want to keep your ego going by posting on this subject again... ok -- but I will certainly strike you for one of the rules above.

Last edited by jdobbs; 20th October 2010 at 00:43.
Old 20th October 2010, 23:32   #9912  |  Link
spinn

Just want to post my recent experience with the wavi.exe error. I was trying to rebuild Kill Bill 1 last week...movie only with LPCM, no shrinking...and was using BD RB v03407. It failed to complete, so I downloaded and installed v03501. Started getting the wavi.exe error. Uninstalled and reinstalled the required codecs, and retried v03501...failed. I then uninstalled the codecs and deleted all refs to Haali and FFDshow and Avisynth in registry and folders. I also uninstalled the K-lite Mega Codec pack that I'd been using in the past. Reinstalled just the required codecs for BD RB and lo and behold, it worked this time for LPCM. Moral is, don't forget to consider removing any other Codec packs you may have installed over the years that may cause some problems with BD RB.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 23:50   #9913  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Just want to post my recent experience with the wavi.exe error. I was trying to rebuild Kill Bill 1 last week...movie only with LPCM, no shrinking...and was using BD RB v03407. It failed to complete, so I downloaded and installed v03501. Started getting the wavi.exe error. Uninstalled and reinstalled the required codecs, and retried v03501...failed. I then uninstalled the codecs and deleted all refs to Haali and FFDshow and Avisynth in registry and folders. I also uninstalled the K-lite Mega Codec pack that I'd been using in the past. Reinstalled just the required codecs for BD RB and lo and behold, it worked this time for LPCM. Moral is, don't forget to consider removing any other Codec packs you may have installed over the years that may cause some problems with BD RB.
Excellent point. BD Rebuilder uses DirectShow for decoding LPCM. I think I'll go back and look at this again. It may be better to use nicaudio.dll (like I do with the other audio types). There was a reason why I didn't -- but it escapes me now.
Old 21st October 2010, 02:02   #9914  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
One thing that may be a problem for LPCM is if FFDSHOW's audio is not configured to support LPCM. I ask that anyone who may be experiencing LPCM audio reencoding issues please run the FFDSHOW Audio Decoder Configuration. Make sure the last item in the list called "Uncompressed" is set to "All Supported".

I've just added that item as something that gets set when BD-B is run the first time, and also so it gets reported by INSPECT and BD-RB when an error occurs.
Old 21st October 2010, 05:02   #9915  |  Link
spinn

Quote:
One thing that may be a problem for LPCM is if FFDSHOW's audio is not configured to support LPCM. I ask that anyone who may be experiencing LPCM audio reencoding issues please run the FFDSHOW Audio Decoder Configuration. Make sure the last item in the list called "Uncompressed" is set to "All Supported".

I've just added that item as something that gets set when BD-B is run the first time, and also so it gets reported by INSPECT and BD-RB when an error occurs.
From what I saw, my FFDSHOW audio settings were configured for LPCM and Uncompressed before I removed everything; they were both configured properly when I reinstalled the codecs. So, not quite sure if that was the problem, but good to double-check.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 05:07   #9916  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
From what I saw, my FFDSHOW audio settings were configured for LPCM and Uncompressed before I removed everything; they were both configured properly when I reinstalled the codecs. So, not quite sure if that was the problem, but good to double-check.
My guess in your case is that something else changed the setting and it was overridden. That's the bad thing, just because it is set doesn't guarantee that something else hasn't wedged itself in as the codec to use. The way to fix that would be to uninstall and reinstall FFDSHOW.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:41   #9917  |  Link
oRBIT

I've now tried BDRebuilder again, it was along time ago.. My question is.. During the rip process, the video and audio streams are extracted to my drive. Fine. But when the encoding starts, the videofile gets removed from the harddrive and BDRebuilder reads from my BD-disc instead (yes, I rip straight from the disc). Wouldn't it be faster to encode from the previously ripped videofile (.vc1 in my case) than from the BD-drive?
I have only tried one movie ("Bean - The disaster movie") at the moment, so perhaps I've stumbled upon a bug, or a feature that is mentioned in any of those 495 pages of messages.
Thanks anyway for your amazing work.
oRBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 15:30   #9918  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
I've now tried BDRebuilder again, it was along time ago.. My question is.. During the rip process, the video and audio streams are extracted to my drive. Fine. But when the encoding starts, the videofile gets removed from the harddrive and BDRebuilder reads from my BD-disc instead (yes, I rip straight from the disc). Wouldn't it be faster to encode from the previously ripped videofile (.vc1 in my case) than from the BD-drive?
I have only tried one movie ("Bean - The disaster movie") at the moment, so perhaps I've stumbled upon a bug, or a feature that is mentioned in any of those 495 pages of messages.
Thanks anyway for your amazing work.
Hmmm... I set the program up assuming folks would rip to hard drive first (copy the BD) -- because that is much, much faster. But -- you can point directly to the drive holding the BD, which it appears you are doing.

The extraction of the video to the disc is something recent -- I added it to support use of X264's internal LAVF decoding. It is removed shortly after it is extracted (to minimize the total disc requirement) if LAVF is not in use. Unfortunately, though, an AVS file can't read from the .VC1 or .264 directly (at least not with DirectShow) -- so I have to go back to the original M2TS for frame serving during encode.

For the best performance, you should copy the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders from the BD to a folder on the hard drive and then use that as your source.

Last edited by jdobbs; 21st October 2010 at 15:36.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:51   #9919  |  Link
oRBIT

Just noticed this strange thing. Encoding straight from the BD (AnyDVD running of course) caused an heavily undersized BD5 (like 500MB, with a blank movie, more or less), but copying the entire contents of the BD to my harddrive first actually works.
The log didn't complain about anything either..
oRBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 20:27   #9920  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
Just noticed this strange thing. Encoding straight from the BD (AnyDVD running of course) caused an heavily undersized BD5 (like 500MB, with a blank movie, more or less), but copying the entire contents of the BD to my harddrive first actually works.
The log didn't complain about anything either..
There should be no issue with reading directly from disc -- except speed.