Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 20th October 2015, 13:28   #33761  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
Do you have any idea on how madvr would fair with Nvidia Quadro M6000?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I found that enabling it in JRiver Media Center really messes things up when videos contain multiple aspect ratios.

For example, I have a video which is supposed to be displayed as 16:9, but it is horizontally compressed.
This video contains three different aspect ratios:
  • 16:9 full-screen
  • 4:3 pillarboxed (12:9)
  • 16:9 windowboxed (16:9 letterboxed in a 4:3 frame)

Because it is horizontally compressed, it actually displays as approximately:
  • 15:9 full-screen
  • 11:9 pillarboxed
  • 15:9 windowboxed (15:9 letterboxed in an 11:9 frame)

If I enable aspect ratio correction in JRMC what happens is that you get:
  • 15:9 full-screen → 16:9 full-screen (correct)
  • 11:9 pillarboxed → stretched to 16:9 full-screen (very wrong!)
  • 15:9 windowboxed → 16:9 full-screen (correct)
This could quite well be a bug in madVR, but I'm not sure. How exactly can I reproduce this on my PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Does SuperRes do any deblocking? Trying to figure out what it does exactly.
No, it doesn't deblock. SuperRes tries to improve the upscaled image, by fixing errors the upscaling algorithm might have done, and by sharpening the image if the upscaling algorithm produced a soft output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Don't disable deband fade-in-out performance trade-off option, it requires very long queues to prevent frame drops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
That completely solved the problem, many thanks!
Good call, aufkrawall.

Alternatively, probably increasing the CPU and/or GPU queue size(s) would also help. Turning the fade-in-out trade quality option off does sometimes require queues to be a bit larger than usual to get smooth playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcn View Post
When I pause a video I can see that the image goes back a few frames.

I noticed this while presenting 8 frames in advance.
Setting it down to 1 helps tremendously but sometimes I can still see this glitch.
It might be slightly improved in the next build, but it will still be there. I consider this a cosmetical glitch and as such not very important at the moment. Remember, madVR is still not at v1.0, so some imperfections are to be expected. I might look at things like that after v1.0 release, or shortly before, but now is not the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
I get some visible tearing when using a custom 71.928 Hz refresh rate in fullscreen exclude and windowed mode. HD7700 Windows 10.
Then either your GPU drivers or the OS is at fault. In theory it should not be possible to get tearing in Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, when using Direct3D. You could try using a different GPU driver. Maybe it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
Too bad that as soon as DXVA deinterlacing gets activated, one still gets the lossy conversion, even when using DXVA copyback. DXVA copyback is not the hardware accelerated solution that gives the best quality in all cases like suggested in the posts above then.
Maybe some day we'll get DXVA deinterlaced copyback, but not now. Usually DXVA deinterlacing is needed only for sports, music concerts and very rare/weird DVD encodes. And for those image quality isn't always the most important, anyway. So I don't consider this a show stopper. Although, obviously, it's not an ideal situation atm. FWIW, last time I checked, with an AMD GPU you get lossless quality. But not with Intel or NVidia. So if DXVA deinterlacing is very important to you, you may want to get an AMD GPU for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijiko View Post
1,2,3 have no problem.
4,5 will popup Resample shader logic error (3).
Try this build, it's based on v0.89.11/12 and should have the problem fixed:

http://madshi.net/madVR8911sneaker.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
I'm trying to find the best madVR configuration on my HTPC. [...]

chroma upscaling: NEEDI3, 16N
image downscaling: CR with AR and LL
image doubling: double luma if factor is 2.0x with NEEDI3, 32N, and double chroma with 2.0x and NEEDI3 16N
image upscaling: Jinc AR
Refinement: SuperRes St:3, sh:2, rad:066, once after upscaling ist complete
The most important is luma doubling and SuperRes (and debanding, if your sources need it). Try to get 64 neurons for luma doubling. You can use cheaper algos for all other scaling settings (except SuperRes). Don't use DXVA scaling, I think it will disable luma doubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
I am using madVR v0.89.11 and MPC-BE v1.4.6.892. I'm not sure how to cut a small sample but it happens with all of my DVDs. Here is a debug log.

http://www.megafileupload.com/qjnU/madVR_-_log.txt
Quote:
Do you have any form of aspect ratio correction enabled?
^

As 6233638 already asked: Do you have any aspect ratio overwrite active in MPC-BE? For your DVD madVR is reporting a desired target resolution of 720x540 at first, but MPC-BE tells madVR to upscale that to 1219x719, which is also the resolution of the MPC-BE window. Since the aspect ratio of 1219x719 doesn't match 720x540, madVR believes that MPC-BE is switched to "stretch to window" mode, and then behaves like that later on. I can judge from the log that probably MPC-BE is not really in "stretch to window" mode, but instead you've probably activated a 16:9 aspect ratio override. But madVR cannot know that. madVR later asks for 853x480 instead of 720x540, which then is the same AR as 1219x719, so at that moment both "stretch to window" and "touch window from inside" would fit, but at that moment madVR has already decided that MPC-BE is probably in "stretch to window" mode.

MPC-HC in the meanwhile has added support for madVR's new zooming APIs, so with MPC-HC there's no doubt, anymore, what MPC-HC wants. But MPC-BE doesn't support those madVR APIs, so madVR has to guess what MPC-BE wants, and in your case obviously madVR has guessed incorrectly. You can probably fix that by removing the aspect ratio override.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_let View Post
Is Catmull-Rom messed up for anyone else
Ooops, good catch - thanks for letting me know! Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I have an interesting, though probably not that unusual, requirement for managing zoom control and aspect ratios.

What I’m basically looking for, is a way of setting up profiles in madVR to automatically achieve the result that I’m looking for; any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

99.9% of the content I watch is Blu-ray content, which has black bars embedded in the video stream itself, and has a stream aspect ratio of 1920 x 1080. Having said that, there are several different aspect ratio cases commonly seen with Blu-ray content:
  1. 16:9 content; 1920 x 1080 real video data
  2. 1.85:1 content; 1920 x 1040 real video data
  3. ~2.35:1 content; 1920 x ~800 real video data
  4. Movies with IMAX scenes - e.g. Interstellar
  5. Movies with multiple aspect ratios - e.g. The Grand Budapest Hotel
My viewing setup consists of a JVC DLA-RS46 projector with a 2.35:1 screen.
So far everything 100% identical to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I have black velvet masking panels that attach to the sides of the screen, resulting in a 16:9 sized area for projection when needed as well. The JVC projector has motorised zoom and shift, and I have it set up with two memories
  • 16:9 mode, where all 1920 x 1080 active pixels fill the centre of the screen (masking attached on the sides)
  • 2.35:1 mode, where 1920 x 816 pixels fill the whole 2.35:1 screen, 132 pixels at the top and bottom of the projected image fall above and below the screen.
Before madVR’s zoom and black bar detection algorithms were added to the renderer, I simply used the lens memories to zoom the content manually. This worked great for the first 3 commonly found Blu-ray formats listed above, but type 4 resulted in annoying image data being projected above and below my screen for some scenes (assuming 2.35:1 projector zoom), and type 5 would result in the perception of black all around the video data for some scenes (assuming 16:9 projector zoom).

I would like madVR to behaving in the following way for each of the 5 content types (My projector setting in parenthesis):
  1. No zoom (16:9 mode)
  2. No zoom (16:9 mode)
  3. No zoom (2.35:1 mode)
  4. ‘Crop’ all content to 1920 x 816 (2.35:1 mode)
  5. Zoom all content to fill as much of the 1920 x 816 active pixels that fit on the projection screen, sometimes upscaling, sometimes downscaling (2.35:1 mode)
So far, I have created two different screen config profiles for my display, effectively corresponding to the lens memories setup in the projector:
  • Cropped 1920 x 816 visible area defined
  • No cropping
I also have 3 profiles for zoom control:
  • Default (for content types 1, 2 and 3)
    - All zoom controls disabled
  • IMAX Scene Movies (for content type 4)
    - Disable scaling for ... 25 lines or less
    - Automatically detect black bars
    - If their are big black bars ... zoom the bars away completely
  • Mixed Ratio Movies (for content type 5)
    - Disable scaling for ... 10 lines or less
    - Automatically detect black bars
    - Zoom small black bars away
Currently, the only way that I can think of to use the Profile Rules, is to add '*.IMAX.*' / '*.multi.*' to the filenames to trigger selection of both sets of profiles, but I'd rather this be automated without having to change filenames.

I totally understand the reason that the zoom control works the way that it does, but I'm finding it difficult to setup rules and configurations that consistently achieve the desired effect for the content that I have.

This isn't a complaint, I'm just wondering if there is a better way to do what I'm trying to do.
First of all, although all the controls in zoom control etc seem to be relatively complicated, they were designed to handle all sorts of display setups, including CIH, CIW and CIA front projection setups. Your overall configuration seems to be ok, but a bit more complicated than necessary.

BTW, v0.89.12 will be able to automatically activate your JVC lens memories for you, so there's even less work you have to do manually now! Here's what I'd recommend, using the upcoming v0.89.12:

1) device -> properties

- Connect your JVC to the LAN.
- Select a proper IP address, or enable DHCP.
- In the JVC setup enable IP control via LAN.
- In madVR -> device -> properties press "find projector".
- Activate "pause playback while changing lens memories".

2) device -> screen config

- Create a profile for 16:9, no masking, activate lens memory 1.
- Create a profile for 21:9, proper masking, activate lens memory 2.

Code:
if (fileName = "*multi*") or (ar > 1.9) "21:9" else "16:9"
3) processing -> zoom control

Create a "default" profile for all movies, including IMAX, with the following options checked:

- disable scaling if image size changes by only: [whatever you like]
- automatically detect hard coded black bars
- if black bars change pick one zoom factor: ... which doesn't show any black bars
- crop black bars

Create a "multi" profile for Grand Budapest Hotel and similar movies, with the same settings as above, just disable the "if black bars change pick one zoom factor".

Normally, you wouldn't need profiles for zoom control. The big problem is that you want madVR to behave differently for IMAX movies compared to Grand Budapest Hotel, and madVR cannot know which is which. So you have to file name tag either IMAX movies or Grand Budapest Hotel. The key option which makes all the difference is the "if black bars change pick one zoom factor", which you want enabled for IMAX and disabled for Grand Budapest Hotel.

Code:
if (fileName = "*multi*") "multi" else "default"

Last edited by madshi; 20th October 2015 at 13:30.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 15:26   #33762  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
This could quite well be a bug in madVR, but I'm not sure. How exactly can I reproduce this on my PC?
I didn't think that it was a bug, just a quirk of enabling JRMC's aspect ratio correction because it seems to blindly scale the input to the selected output aspect ratio, and Zoom Control changes what the input is as the aspect ratio in the video changes.

I will get you a sample later today though - I'll try to find a sequence where it switches between the three aspect ratios in close succession.

It would be great if you could figure out some kind of solution for this, but I recognize that it's an odd situation.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 15:27   #33763  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
Try this build, it's based on v0.89.11/12 and should have the problem fixed:

http://madshi.net/madVR8911sneaker.rar
No problem, too.
Then, what's the real problem on earth?
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 15:33   #33764  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I didn't think that it was a bug, just a quirk of enabling JRMC's aspect ratio correction because it seems to blindly scale the input to the selected output aspect ratio, and Zoom Control changes what the input is as the aspect ratio in the video changes.

I will get you a sample later today though - I'll try to find a sequence where it switches between the three aspect ratios in close succession.

It would be great if you could figure out some kind of solution for this, but I recognize that it's an odd situation.
It could be JRMC's fault, or mine, I don't know. Either way, shouldn't be hard to get it fixed. If it's JRMC's fault, I know who to contact...

Quote:
No problem, too.
Then, what's the real problem on earth?
There's no problem (anymore). Will be fixed in v0.89.12.
Old 20th October 2015, 15:39   #33765  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
There's no problem (anymore). Will be fixed in v0.89.12.
Now I use HC 181/190 + LAV 66.28 + this one madVR, and work fine.
I wonder what's wrong in 89.11 release ver?
Also, hope 89.12 to publish asap.
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 15:50   #33766  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I wonder what's wrong in 89.11 release ver?
A bug in madVR, obviously. Although your OS/GPU driver is to blame for freezing the PC. The bug should have been handled more gracefully by your OS/GPU driver.
Old 20th October 2015, 16:23   #33767  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.89.12 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added auto lens memory activation via "IP Control" for JVC & Sony projectors
* added several new profile rule script variables
* added IMadVRCommand::SendCommandDouble("setArOverride") support
* when moving subtitle, margins are now relative to video height
* fixed: memory leak introduced in v0.89.10
* fixed: Catmull-Rom was broken since v0.89.10
* fixed: potential cause for "old frame" flickering when using smooth motion
* fixed: potential cause for "old frame" flickering in new windowed/FSE modes
In the next few weeks only expect bugfixes and small improvements, no big new features. Need to concentrate on my daily job for a while now.
Old 20th October 2015, 16:34   #33768  |  Link

Quote:
* added several new profile rule script variables
Thanks for the changes.
Profile selection is working well for me with Zoom Control now.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 17:08   #33769  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Code:
* fixed: potential cause for "old frame" flickering in new windowed/FSE modes
Interesting. Is this specific to D3D9? I don't remember ever seeing "old frame" flickering with D3D11, though I have had some issues with queues not filling up (still haven't had time to try and reproduce that). I've only seen it with streams that drop frames, using the D3D9 path.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 17:13   #33770  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I could only reproduce the "old frame" flickering when doing frame stepping under very specific circumstances in DX11, but the underlying issue is not specific to anything. It applies both to ("new") windowed and FSE modes, both DX9 and DX11. It's only one potential cause of the problem, though, and only rarely occurred, so I've no idea whether having fixed this will bring any improvements for anybody other than in the specific frame stepping case. It might, or maybe not.
Old 20th October 2015, 18:13   #33771  |  Link
aufkrawall

D3D11 windowed fullscreen flickering is still there.
Not a surprise, since it's most likely a NV Windows 10 driver bug with the way how madVR does things with DX11.

My script now fully works as intended, thank you.
I think I will now also use SuperRes for low-res cartoon scaling instead of Adaptive Sharpen, since the repair effect of SR is really nice when you don't use 256 neurons (who would ever do this?).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 18:33   #33772  |  Link
XMonarchY

Is it normal having to reset madVR to default settings every 2-3 builds to NOT experience issues? Every so often, updating madVR files results in me having severe presentation errors that go away after I reset settings to defaults.
Old 20th October 2015, 19:28   #33773  |  Link
Olivier C.

@madshi :
i have a question about the "scale in linear light" option in a downscale luma context.
I realized that this option is very very GPU demanding, even on very powerful graphic card like GTX970 or Zotac 980Ti (both tested).
To give an idea, the GTX970 can vary from 23% to 78% GPU on a 4K movie with this option disabled/enabled respectively.

I suppose it's more complicated than doing exp(1/gamma) on luma but i wonder which kind of processing is behind this option, if i can ask ?

Last edited by Olivier C.; 20th October 2015 at 19:30.
Olivier C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 19:31   #33774  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thx for the new version. Memory is looking good.

Quote:
I could only reproduce the "old frame" flickering when doing frame stepping under very specific circumstances in DX11, but the underlying issue is not specific to anything. It applies both to ("new") windowed and FSE modes, both DX9 and DX11. It's only one potential cause of the problem, though, and only rarely occurred, so I've no idea whether having fixed this will bring any improvements for anybody other than in the specific frame stepping case. It might, or maybe not.
I actually had a problem with out-of-order frames when pausing in D3D9 FSE mode. At the time it was introduced I was busy and since it was more of a cosmetic issue I never bothered reporting. It is fixed now with v0.89.12, though it appears the pausing is not instant but takes an additional 1 or 2 frames to be finished. (Was it always this way? I can't remember)

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 20th October 2015 at 19:35.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 19:40   #33775  |  Link
michkrol

Thanks for the new release. Works like a charm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Is it normal having to reset madVR to default settings every 2-3 builds to NOT experience issues? Every so often, updating madVR files results in me having severe presentation errors that go away after I reset settings to defaults.
I'm a happy madVR user for years now and had to reset setting like one time to fix an issue.
Granted we probably have completely different setups, it's still not normal to reset setting almost every other build.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier C. View Post
@madshi :
i have a question about the "scale in linear light" option in a downscale luma context.
I realized that this option is very very GPU demanding, even on very powerful graphic card like GTX970 or Zotac 980Ti (both tested).
To give an idea, the GTX970 can vary from 23% to 78% GPU on a 4K movie with this option disabled/enabled respectively.
Seems interesting. Are you sure the GPU is not changing frequencies to save power?
On a quick test I get 35% usage for Catmull-Rom without linear light and 41% with LL for image downscaling on a 24fps 4K viedo and that's on a Geforce 750Ti(!).
Could you post your settings, especially scaling algorithms used, smooth motion (on/off), dithering used and screenshot of debug OSD?

Last edited by michkrol; 20th October 2015 at 19:57.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 19:58   #33776  |  Link
jmonier

The "auto lens memory" seems to have problems in my setup: JVC RS-4910 and Zoomplayer. It worked a couple of times after I shutdown Zoomplayer and started it up again, but now even that doesn't seem to work. Even when it did work, it never paused playback while it was changing. (I DID verify that I could pause/play Zoomplayer from the madVR tray icon.)

I've worked a lot with the JVC tcp/ip control. I have been able to make it work reliably 99.9% of the time, but I still consider it to be a real mess done by someone who didn't really understand network Sockets. It's actually less reliable (along with the RS-232 control) in the latest JVC models than it was before.

I'll be happy to work with you on this but I need some direction on where to look. Right now I have no idea as to how to proceed.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 20:11   #33777  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Is it normal having to reset madVR to default settings every 2-3 builds to NOT experience issues?
Yes. You also have to reset it every Sunday, December 25th and February 29th.

Each Time I read this topic, I regret it.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 20:29   #33778  |  Link
DigitalLF

* added auto lens memory activation via "IP Control" for JVC & Sony projectors

MadShi are you f*cking kidding me! you don't know how happy this makes me!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Something is wrong in my setup. MadVR finds my projector on 192.168.0.50, same net as i use for all my stuff, it says its a Sony and it is, but nothing is happening! i got a Sony VPL-VW500ES. i have tried "activate lens memory: 1,2,3"

Mine are called: "1.85:1", "2.35:1", "Custom 1"

Last edited by DigitalLF; 20th October 2015 at 21:48.
DigitalLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 21:53   #33779  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Is it normal having to reset madVR to default settings every 2-3 builds to NOT experience issues?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
The "auto lens memory" seems to have problems in my setup: JVC RS-4910 and Zoomplayer. It worked a couple of times after I shutdown Zoomplayer and started it up again, but now even that doesn't seem to work. Even when it did work, it never paused playback while it was changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalLF View Post
Something in my setup. MadVR finds my projector on 192.168.0.50, same net as i use for all my stuff, it says its a Sony and it is, but nothing is happening! i got a Sony VPL-VW500ES. i have tried "activate lens memory: 1,2,3"
A couple of questions for both of you:

1) Do the profiles switch as intended? You can check by opening the settings while playing the movie and then checking which profile is drawn in bold.
2) Do you have black bar presentation enabled?
3) Please check with the following tool whether IP Control generally works reliably with your projector or not:

http://madshi.net/IpControlTest.rar

The problem could be a simple logic bug, madVR not even trying to activate the lens memory for some reason. Or it could be a problem with the IP Control code somehow.

Some additional questions just for @DigitalLF, because I don't have a Sony projector to test with here:

1) Does the "find" function reliably detect your Sony projector, without you having to enter an IP address etc?
2) Does the lens memory "abort" function work properly? It's supposed to stop/cancel/abort the activation of a lens memory immediately.
3) Does activating lens memory 1, then before it fully reached its final position, activating lens memory 2 work? Ideally pressing lens memory 2 once (while lens memory 1 is still being processed) should abort activating lens memory 1 and immediately start activating lens memory 2 instead. Does that fully work as expected?
4) If would be great if there was a way to find out when exactly activation of a new lens memory is fully finished. So could you please: a) Activate a new lens memory. b) Check the log how quickly success (or failure) is reported. c) Immediately press "read lens memory". Does "read lens memory" still report the previous lens memory number? Or already the new one we're currently in the process of activating? In the first case, please press "read lens memory" multiple times, maybe once every second or so, to check when exactly "read lens memory" switches to the new lens memory number. With a bit of luck maybe it will switch to the new lens memory number only after the lens memory activation has fully run through?

(P.S: The names of the lens memories don't matter.)
Old 20th October 2015, 22:01   #33780  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_let View Post
Is Catmull-Rom messed up for anyone else after image doubling (super-xbr or NNEDI3)? This is on v0.89.11, but I haven't been testing every new build.

On the latest build, Win10 x64, GT 650M/HD 4000 Optimus.

It should be obvious here (applies to any video but clear enough when working with something very low res):
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/147572

Catmull-Rom and Bicubic 50 should be the same thing, right?
Wait, so if catmull-rom and bicubic 50 are the same thing, why do both options exist?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling