Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th July 2017, 07:45   #44361  |  Link
Sarlaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
As someone who has a lot of fun running madVR on my 1080Ti equivalent Titan, I have to recommend a 1070 or less.

While NGU very high is great for 1080p to 4K the difference between that and high or medium is visually pretty small but very high takes a lot more power and generates a lot of heat (I have to open up the power limit on my Titan to run 1080p30 -> 4K with NGU very high). Something like a 1060 (6GB) or better can offer noticeable quality improvements but all the way up to a 1080 Ti is well past diminishing returns. Looking at GPU prices right now suggests waiting for a bit while the mining craze calms down and GPU vendors build up stock.

That said; with a 1080 Ti and some light overclocking you can run basically every madVR option at or near max quality.

It looks like Vega RX will be a very high power GPU. It is possible it will offer great performance for madVR but it will use really a lot of power while doing it.
Thanks @Asmodian was sorta dabling between the 1080Ti and a 1070 but I think I will stick with the 1070 then
Have some HDR movies around so unless it's possible to add HDR switching to MadVR I'll just stick with NVidia
Sarlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 06:18   #44362  |  Link
GITY6

Issue with madVR subtitle setting

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so do forgive me if I should be posting this elsewhere.

I've been using madVR's setting (under zoom control) to force subtitles to the bottom of the screen. It works perfectly until any formatted subtitle appears.

For example, once an italicized or bolded subtitle (from an .srt file) appears, the subtitle position is reverted to the active video area, and all subsequent subtitles (regardless of formatting) are positioned there until the application is restarted.

I'm using MPC-HC, and my subtitle renderer is XySubFilter. If anyone has dealt with this issue, advice would be appreciated :)
GITY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 07:16   #44363  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
I think this is a driver bug. The difference between EVR and madVR that would cause only madVR to show the bug is that EVR never needs the data back from DXVA2, madVR on the other hand needs the data back.

There is a driver bug that causes wrong colors when getting 10-bit data back from DXVA2 decoding/scaling.

madVR is very good at HDR -> SDR and it provides multiple ways to accomplish it. I certainly approve of the quality of madVR's HDR -> SDR and I don't need to fiddle with the settings to get good results. Just don't use DXVA for anything.
I thought it was just me. I've been battling with this for a while now. If I enabled 10 bit output in AMD settings and 10 bit in MadVR everything is oversaturated. I also get black clipping. The only fix is to either set AMD settings to 8 bit or change MadVR settings so there is a combination of DCI-P3 (not not sure of color accuracy then) at BT709 2.20 and gamma processing at 2.20 also BT709. This is only in fullscreen exclusive mode since with FSE off it defaults to 8bit output anyhow.

I am hoping a fix is on the way?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 10:33   #44364  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GITY6 View Post
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so do forgive me if I should be posting this elsewhere.

I've been using madVR's setting (under zoom control) to force subtitles to the bottom of the screen. It works perfectly until any formatted subtitle appears.

For example, once an italicized or bolded subtitle (from an .srt file) appears, the subtitle position is reverted to the active video area, and all subsequent subtitles (regardless of formatting) are positioned there until the application is restarted.

I'm using MPC-HC, and my subtitle renderer is XySubFilter. If anyone has dealt with this issue, advice would be appreciated
know bug in XY subfilter
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 11:45   #44365  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
and read the guide so you will stop aiming at the 23.976 hz.
I've added a note at the beginning about this. I hope it will help people take notice.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 20:07   #44366  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Is there any way to reduce flicker on panning shots in 24p? I cant use 48hz, 96hz, 120hz.....
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 20:54   #44367  |  Link
huhn

madVR has nothing to do with flicker that should be your screen.
Old 18th July 2017, 22:56   #44368  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Is there any way to reduce flicker on panning shots in 24p? I cant use 48hz, 96hz, 120hz.....
If you can't use an adequate refresh rate, then you should enable Smooth Motion in the madVR options (along with the highest refresh rate you have access to).
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 20:38   #44369  |  Link
x7007

Hi,

What do I do when I just bought a new tv now , LG 55C6 support HDR + Dolby Vision and I want to watch movies that are still normal 1080p MKV 8 bit . how will I set it for them ? and how will I set it when watching HDR ? I just choose for HDR Passthrough mode ? the first option in madvr.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 21:05   #44370  |  Link
huhn

if you have an nvidia card you can use the nvidia api and you will get proper SDR and HDR.
Old 20th July 2017, 00:41   #44371  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
if you have an nvidia card you can use the nvidia api and you will get proper SDR and HDR.
Can you please explain how ?

What the MadVR and Nvidia NVCP should be ?

Screenshots would be appricated
Old 20th July 2017, 15:16   #44372  |  Link
huhn

device -> "your device name" -> hdr -> passthrough... -> send meta HDR metadata to... -> use Nvidia's private API.

leave windows at defaults.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:44   #44373  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
device -> "your device name" -> hdr -> passthrough... -> send meta HDR metadata to... -> use Nvidia's private API.

leave windows at defaults.
You mean Nvidia Use Default Color Settings ? in Change Resolution ?
Old 20th July 2017, 18:25   #44374  |  Link
huhn

this is about madVR not the nvidia control center.
Old 20th July 2017, 19:12   #44375  |  Link
P.J
Δ

Quote:
strange i can do about everything at 1080p output using a 960.

the HDR SDR conversation takes a lot of processing power but that to be expected but that doesn't mean it is resource hungry.
madVR:

EVR-CP:

Last edited by P.J; 20th July 2017 at 19:18.
P.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 20:48   #44376  |  Link
Asmodian

You can turn the quality down in madVR if you want to, there are a lot of options for the HDR -> SDR conversion and some change the performance a lot.
Old 20th July 2017, 20:57   #44377  |  Link
P.J
Δ

Quote:
You can turn the quality down in madVR if you want to, there are a lot of options for the HDR -> SDR conversion and some change the performance a lot.
Shouldn't it work well with default settings?

I think the colors are better with MPC video decoder+EVR-CP
P.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 21:08   #44378  |  Link
huhn

change the HDR brightness settings in madVR.

you can check the nvidia power settings to they shouldn't be at "optimal".

the white details are clearly more clipped on the be conversation.
Old 20th July 2017, 22:39   #44379  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
try is from a CVT reduced blank.
What?

Quote:
and read the guide so you will stop aiming at the 23.976 hz.
So basically the most important statistic is MadVR's estimation of a frame repeat/drop every x minutes rather than the raw calculated refresh rate?
Old 20th July 2017, 22:51   #44380  |  Link
Asmodian

Start from the "CVT Reduced Blank" default timing option.

Sadly the most important stat is the reported repeated/dropped frames, even madVR's estimate is not accurate (madshi has stressed this point many times). You have to see what actually happens if you want it perfect, nothing can measure the true clock rates accurately enough.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling