Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th December 2017, 18:37   #47501  |  Link
imhh11

@ Madshi & Manni

I didnt follow this thread for a while,
Was the issue with JVC projector going magenta in HDR ever been fixed with the latest Madvr / ndidia version ?

So tired of using Movies and Tv app , it doesnt let me switch to another audio track.

thank you, sorry for my english
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 19:27   #47502  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
those with zero drops are you on the latest creators fall update?, if so what are your madvr rendering settings set to, which are ticked?

can someone screen shot with contrl J so we can see your settings and rendering times etc.
I'm on windows 7 x64
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 21:06   #47503  |  Link
mclingo

its windows 10 with all the issues, winddow 7 and 8 are ok.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 22:27   #47504  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippner View Post
so what can I try to avoid dropped frames? switch to windows7?
I don't understand how can drop frame with only 2gb vram and 30% gpu in use

with uhd movie?
I don't have 4k equipment, and I won't get one. I don't like 4K.

Try with 1080p material, then with 4k.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 22:56   #47505  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippner View Post
so what can I try to avoid dropped frames? switch to windows7?
I don't understand how can drop frame with only 2gb vram and 30% gpu in use

with uhd movie?
could be issue with programs running in the background like GPU-Z fraps and stuff like this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 23:23   #47506  |  Link
huhn

"sharex" looks like it is doing alot and that is not a what i understand as nothing is running in the background.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2017, 23:57   #47507  |  Link
aufkrawall

I don't think the chance for video frame drops as a result of "fishy" hardware is very high, much more likely you have some software issue. Could even be a Windows 10 bug.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 01:09   #47508  |  Link
el Filou

If you get dropped frames with ReClock it's definitely some background software hogging resources, or your madVR settings are very slightly too high.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:40   #47509  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
I personally dont think you'll get rid of frame drops with NVIDIA cards at the moment, I chucked everything at at and moved back to AMD, I now only get frame drops on 3D MVC stuff but thats because its not hardware accelerated, all done on the CPU - using reclock 1.9.0.0

I also only use 1080p24 & 2160p24 modes, never 23p
I have no dropped frames with my 1080ti for at least 50mn with a MadVR custom resolution (vs 5mn without), both in 1080p23 and 4K23. Using config in sig. I get a few frame drops in 1080p23FP for 3D, but at least it works 100% of the time (using a batch file to init the 3D before playback), while with AMD it was a lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
@ Madshi & Manni

I didnt follow this thread for a while,
Was the issue with JVC projector going magenta in HDR ever been fixed with the latest Madvr / ndidia version ?

So tired of using Movies and Tv app , it doesnt let me switch to another audio track.

thank you, sorry for my english
Yes, I solved it using a profile to NOT use HDR passthrough with 4K60p. There is no problem with lower FPS content. This is not a MadVR issue, it's a driver/OS issue with the JVCs.

As we're stuck for now with 385.xx I have no idea if that aspect is corrected in more recent versions of the OS/GPU driver. I'll find out when MS forces Fall Creators Update on me. At which point, I might go back to Windows 8.1 if it's not possible to get a stable combo of OS/GPU drivers for SDR and HDR. Not really using my HTPC for HDR yet though, so I might be able to live with this for a while.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 5th December 2017 at 01:46.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 01:50   #47510  |  Link
austonrush

Go to Nvidia and create a custom 24HZ resolution. I'm currently not using madvr's custom resolutions. Use the following settings for 1080p content. https://imgur.com/a/HmVXx

Now in madvr make sure to use display mode 1080p23 NOT 1080p24 to activate the custom resolution you created.

I'm using windows 10, latest creators update installed. I have no frame drops with 24, 25, 30, 59 or 60 fps, however I do not own a 4k display. I'm still happy with my Panasonic VT plasma TV.

I'm even using exclusive mode . Just turn the game bar off in windows

My current rendering settings https://imgur.com/a/uYPxT

It can be done!

I have everything unchecked in "trade quality for performance" menu
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 02:00   #47511  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
If you get dropped frames with ReClock it's definitely some background software hogging resources, or your madVR settings are very slightly too high.
reclock is buggy as hell with creators version of windows 10. I dropped it completely.
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 02:43   #47512  |  Link
yukinok25

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Let madVR decide will never switch to NNEDI3 if you haven't selected it. In your bug report there were 2 crashes. One was not clear. The other one pointed to a crash in the Nvidia OpenCL driver. madVR uses OpenCL only for NNEDI3, so my conclusion was that you probably used NNEDI3. Please check the OSD (Ctrl+J) to confirm that NNEDI3 is really not used, neither in chroma upscaling nor image upscaling. If you're really not using NNEDI3, then I'm at a loss why the Nvidia OpenCL driver crashed!
madshi, just wanted to let you know that I found the culprit, it was in the dithering options. With Error Diffusion 1 and 2 madVR keeps crashing if I move the seek bar pointer, while with ordered dithering it never happens.
Also I have noticed that since I switch to ordered dithering my GPU fan is not noisy anymore, does Error Diffusion use a lots of power?

Last edited by yukinok25; 5th December 2017 at 02:45.
yukinok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 04:13   #47513  |  Link
Asmodian

Yes, error diffusion uses a lot more GPU power than ordered (and it is the only thing in madVR that uses DirectCompute).
Old 5th December 2017, 09:34   #47514  |  Link
sat4all

hi guys,

when playing hdr content my external .srt and .ass subtitles look blindingly bright while embedded bluray subs looks fine. tried to lower sub renderer primary colors but it have no effect with hdr files.
any idea guys?
Old 5th December 2017, 10:14   #47515  |  Link
yukinok25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Yes, error diffusion uses a lot more GPU power than ordered (and it is the only thing in madVR that uses DirectCompute).
Thanks, I thought so, I have noticed also that at 1080p movies looks slightly better with Error Diffusion 1, it's a pity that I can't use it properly.
yukinok25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 13:20   #47516  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
those with zero drops are you on the latest creators fall update?, if so what are your madvr rendering settings set to, which are ticked?
No, I stopped Fall Update from installing, defering it for the maximum 365 days allowed. Rendering settings are currently at D3D11 full screen window, superxbr for Chroma when displaying 1080p content, NGU-AA when upscaling.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 13:45   #47517  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Hello Asmodian,

What does your computer set up to run Madvr look like?

I just bought then LG OLED55B7V and started using your settings.bin file, but had to drop many of the settings just be able to run it.

I will be buying a new computer just to run Madvr, so I figure I'd maybe just copy yours since we have almost the same TV and I am running your settings for Madvr.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 15:35   #47518  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
No, I stopped Fall Update from installing, defering it for the maximum 365 days allowed. Rendering settings are currently at D3D11 full screen window, superxbr for Chroma when displaying 1080p content, NGU-AA when upscaling.
well I was asking those who are on the update, thats why yours is fine, mine was stable until I hit the update but broke again when I removed the update. It was fine again when I did a fresh install but broken again when I collected the update for the second time so we know these issue are all caused by the update.

I still cant get rid of dropped frames every 40 seconds unless I use reclock, i'm dubious about anyone who now says that arent having any issues with the fall update with drops / repeats as this is so well documented.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 18:07   #47519  |  Link
SirSwede

What would be the recommended settings for upscaling 720p and 1080p, respectively, to a 4K TV using the GT740?

(I will be buying a new card next year when I can afford it).

And, would it be better to upscale 720p to 1080p with Madvr and then on to 4K all the way with the TV or do it all the way from 720p to 4K with Madvr?
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 19:26   #47520  |  Link
Gopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post

And, would it be better to upscale 720p to 1080p with Madvr and then on to 4K all the way with the TV or do it all the way from 720p to 4K with Madvr?
In my experience, madVR upscaling, is always superior to 4k TV upscaling, so, having madVR, upscale, 720p, to 4k, will result in the best possible image. Saying this, I recommend, that you upscale, 720p, to 1080p, with madVR & let your TV, do the rest, until you upgrade your GPU. MadVR, will either, upscale 720p, twice, or direct x4 (both, to 2880p!) & then, downscale, to 2160p. This can be quite GPU intensive. You can also, try to upscale, to 1440p, with madVR & see if your GPU, can handle the load & if the images, look better, to you. I do not think, that madVR, can upscale, 720p, to 4k, with your GPU, although I am not certain. You can always try it.
Gopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling