Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th July 2011, 17:36   #9061  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

for the new build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
* fixed: video playback in PotPlayer froze in various situations
It's stil happening here, but far less worse than in 0.71 of course...how to reproduce:
-open a video in windowed mode
-pause it
-switch from windowed mode to FSE
=frozen.

I've also compared the colors in full range YV12 and RGB2, files available here: mVR.72 comparison.rar

-0.72/YV12 looks just like 0.67/RGB32, apart from the lines between the squares compared to both 0.67/RGB32 and HR/RGB32...different chroma placement?
-0.72/RGB32 is FUBAR...green gamma seems AWOL
-both 0.72/YV12 and 0.67/RGB32 look ever so slightly different from HR/RGB32, even checking the colors in Photoshop confirms it...but I guess this might be due to dithering? Next time I make screenshots comparisons, I will disable dithering in mVR

Last edited by leeperry; 30th July 2011 at 17:39.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 17:48   #9062  |  Link
Nevilne

The PotPlayer bugs are really strange: starting from build 69, after I extract new build, I can play any video one time and then every following video will result in black screen/audio only with unresponsive interface.

After I put 69 back, videos play fine, but then when I put new build even the first video won't play. However, with each new build (70,71,72) the first video will play once again, and the following won't...

Still happens with 0.72
Lav splitter > coreavc,ffdshow audio>madvr,reclock
Internal filters disabled in potplayer.
Nevilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 18:03   #9063  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:

I'm confused. Originally you reported a problem only during playback *START*. Now you're saying video playback is generally not as smooth??
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. But I'm not saying that's madVR's fault. Am just saying that I absolutely have to have to have exclusive mode turned on (in Win7) in order to avoid drops while watching movies in fullscreen mode. While in XP I didn't even need exclusive mode to get great smooth video. Is just problems inherent in Win7 (for me at least) and I don't know how to make it better

And yes, I still get the juttering at playback start (in Win7) on two different laptops. No probs in XP. Again, it must be probs inherent in the Win7 OS

Note: I know I've already mentioned this in another post so this is not new info
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 19:08   #9064  |  Link
rahzel

Quote:

What does the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J) say about source resolution and target rectangle when playing your 720p video?
It says:
movie resolution 1280, 720
target rectangle 0, 1, 1360, 766
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 19:55   #9065  |  Link
kostik

When I make "YCbCr" folder, I get strange colors. I have my video card and tv output YCbCr .How do I properly use it to output YCbCr directly?
Thanks!
kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 20:07   #9066  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

BTW, I use my Avisynth scripts in SuperSampling mode so I first upscale higher than my display native res in ffdshow, get it through the Avysynth filter of ffdshow and then let mVR downscale. I'm still experimenting in order to find the highest possible resolutions my CPU can afford for SD/720p/1080p, and I'm rolling on the fly between 1352/1440/1600 width(running a 720p display)...problem is: most of the time it works fine, but sometimes mVR crashes instantly after the switch or I get a colorful garbage picture for a split second. In both cases, I get an entry in the XPSP3 event viewer saying that "madVR!DllMain" is the culprit. Aren't on-the-fly input resolution switches supported? I'm still using mVR 0.67 in RGB32.

PS: it would appear that if I make more than a half-dozen realtime changes to my Avisynth script in ffdshow, it also crashes and I get the same "madVR!DllMain" event viewer error msg

Last edited by leeperry; 30th July 2011 at 20:16.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 21:10   #9067  |  Link
Hypernova

madshi, So you don't plan to support H264 FOURCC? I'm not exactly complaining, just curious. Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 22:06   #9068  |  Link
maco07

PotPlayer still freeze with .72 here.
maco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 02:12   #9069  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Which madVR version did you use? v0.70 contains an improvement for MPEG2 which might already have fixed this (if you tested with an older madVR build).
I was using 0.71, I've since upgraded to 0.72 and it still occurs.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 04:58   #9070  |  Link
rahzel

I've been really trying hard to get madVR to work on my relatively weak machine, and I was just about to give up until I discovered something. I just realized madVR has built in decoders and without them, I couldn't get high bitrate 1080p videos to play smoothly whatever I did. I disabled the internal MPC HC decoders and checked the madVR decoders and my test video (~59m mark of Transformers 2 IMAX where it goes to 16:9) plays smoothly now.

Now to go play around with my main HTPC.

edit: playback is smooth on my HTPC as well, but reclock doesn't seem to detect the video stream using madVR's h264 decoder. hmm....
edit2: tried divx h264 and it works well, too. my cpu seems to be JUST fast enough to play this scene as it's at~80-97% usage!

the scaling algorithms seem to be sorted by sharpness, but does that directly translate to speed as well?

Last edited by rahzel; 31st July 2011 at 06:10.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 10:08   #9071  |  Link
Leader

If you use to set the checkbox madVR D3D in MPC-HC, it is impossible to exit full screen mode "Exclusive"
Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 10:30   #9072  |  Link
Volfield

Quote:
madVR needs PixelShader 3.0 hardware support. Seems the Intel 3150 can't do that.
This is hw spec. that i found:
Intel GMA 3150
Specifications
Manufacturer: Intel
Family: GMA
Name: GMA
model: 3150
Codename: Pineview
Shaders: 2
Core Clock: 200 MHz
Shader Clock: 200 MHz
Memory clock: 400 MHz
Memory Size: 256 MB
Memory Type: DDR2
Bus: 64 bit
Number of cores: 1
45 nm technology
DirectX 9.0c
Shader model: 3.0
TDP: 2W
Memory Clock (effective) 800 MHz
Memory Bandwidth 6.3 GB / s

So that's not a reason...
Volfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 11:14   #9073  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
Here's an updated log file. This time with MadVR 0.72 with MadVR's OSD visible (using ctrl+j).

Quote:
I'm enumerating all windows checking whether the madVR parent is fullscreen and on top. Invisible windows should be ignored, at least in theory.
Are you calling WinAPI's "IsWindowVisible"? and are you checking the window's dimensions to see if they cover the MadVR window?
Cause what happens that exclusive mode is lost for a split second and then it re-activates. If the new window was problematic, wouldn't exclusive mode stay disabled?
Old 31st July 2011, 12:10   #9074  |  Link
janos666

Quote:
Code:
* empty file "YCbCr" in madVR folder makes madVR output YCbCr data directly
Hmm. It sounded very interesting but it's not exactly what I thought. The HDMI port on the VGA still outputs RGB 4:4:4 Full, not YCC 4:2:2. I guess it's only for debugging purposes (right now?).

My old LCD let me manually set the input format between RGB and YCC but my current PDP doesn't offer such controls. (But the old one perfectly handled the RGB 4:4:4 input as well.)
Is it YCC 4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 in the RGB 4:4:4? (If you go for actual YCC output then it should be 4:2:2)

Last edited by janos666; 31st July 2011 at 12:28.
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 12:21   #9075  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. But I'm not saying that's madVR's fault. Am just saying that I absolutely have to have to have exclusive mode turned on (in Win7) in order to avoid drops while watching movies in fullscreen mode. While in XP I didn't even need exclusive mode to get great smooth video. Is just problems inherent in Win7 (for me at least) and I don't know how to make it better

And yes, I still get the juttering at playback start (in Win7) on two different laptops. No probs in XP. Again, it must be probs inherent in the Win7 OS

Note: I know I've already mentioned this in another post so this is not new info
Have solved this problem by installing ReClock. I never had to use ReClock in XP cuz madVR was just so smooth and never even needed to use its exclusive mode. But that was not so in Win7 for me which ReClock has now solved. Yippee

(Just wish I would have thought of this earlier. Perhaps my Soundblaster ExpressCard X-Fi card drivers are not playing as nice nice with Win7 as it did with XP hence the need for ReClock. Either way, good to go now)
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 14:13   #9076  |  Link
ajp_anton

To display the same movie on two screens with different resolutions (for example laptop + TV), should I ask here or the MPC-HC guys?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 17:23   #9077  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
It's stil happening here, but far less worse than in 0.71 of course...how to reproduce:
-open a video in windowed mode
-pause it
-switch from windowed mode to FSE
=frozen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilne View Post
Still happens with 0.72
Quote:
Originally Posted by maco07 View Post
Ok, I'll check if I can reproduce it.

Quote:
0.72/RGB32 is FUBAR...green gamma seems AWOL
I don't see that here. RGB32 looks just fine here, with both video and PC input levels, when using ffdshow. Tested with the same AVSForum test video you're using. Can you please try with straight ffdshow (without avisynth)?

Quote:
both 0.72/YV12 and 0.67/RGB32 look ever so slightly different from HR/RGB32, even checking the colors in Photoshop confirms it...but I guess this might be due to dithering? Next time I make screenshots comparisons, I will disable dithering in mVR
I'd guess it's due to slightly different color conversion math. madVR is using a lot more decimals (more accurate conversion math) than most other software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
It says:
movie resolution 1280, 720
target rectangle 0, 1, 1360, 766
In that situation only the luma *up*scaling algorithm should have any effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
When I make "YCbCr" folder, I get strange colors. I have my video card and tv output YCbCr .How do I properly use it to output YCbCr directly?
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post
Hmm. It sounded very interesting but it's not exactly what I thought. The HDMI port on the VGA still outputs RGB 4:4:4 Full, not YCC 4:2:2. I guess it's only for debugging purposes (right now?).
I see that the changelog is misleading. The "YCbCr" option is just a hack for debugging purposes, nothing more. It is *NOT* supposed to put the GPU into any sort of YCbCr output. The only purpose of this feature is to check which raw YCbCr data a video decodes to. Please ignore this feature, except for low level debugging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
madshi, So you don't plan to support H264 FOURCC?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I was using 0.71, I've since upgraded to 0.72 and it still occurs.
Can I have a log, please? Do you see frame drops/delayed/glitches in the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
the scaling algorithms seem to be sorted by sharpness, but does that directly translate to speed as well?
The algorithms down the list tend to consume more GPU power than those up in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leader View Post
If you use to set the checkbox madVR D3D in MPC-HC, it is impossible to exit full screen mode "Exclusive"
The MPC-HC "Fullscreen D3D" option is not officially supported by madVR. Use it at your own risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfield View Post
This is hw spec. that i found:
Intel GMA 3150
Shader model: 3.0
So that's not a reason...
wikipedia claims that your GPU implements shader model 3.0 by software. madVR needs it to be hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
To display the same movie on two screens with different resolutions (for example laptop + TV), should I ask here or the MPC-HC guys?
You'd probably need two madVR instances with one or two MPC-HC instances. You could realize that manually by starting MPC-HC twice, once for each screen. If you want to have this work "automatically", with only one decoding instead of double decoding, you'd need support by both the media player and madVR. I don't see that coming anytime soon.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 18:00   #9078  |  Link
maco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by maco07 View Post
"restore default settings.bat", "uninstall.bat" and then "install.bat" solved my problem, now 0.72 is working ok with PotPlayer 29162.
maco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 20:52   #9079  |  Link
Plutotype

general info 0.72

Hi madshi, watched a 2hour movie today ( used 0.72 ) and I had zero dropped frames after the movie finished ( checked stat ). Nice to see there are no negative secondary effects after all those changes from the last 2 months..
Old 31st July 2011, 20:56   #9080  |  Link
graeme

I'd like to add madVR support to my application (NextPVR - see www.nextpvr.com). Unfortunately this renderer doesnt like something about my application, but its not immediately clear what.

My standard graph used for live tv and playback of recordings has a 'NextPVR TS Reader' filter connected to the 'MPEG2 Demultiplexer' filter, connected to a video decoder (and one or more audio decoder filters), then video decoder is connected to a video renderer (current Overlay/VMR7/VMR9/EVR). If

I build this graph in GraphEdit and use madVR as the video renderer, then graphedit crashes as soon as I connect the video decoder output to the video renderer input. Do you have any idea why this is happening? I've attached a stacktrace screenshot I captured by visual studio.

EDIT: that must be some type of record, I joined the forum in 2003 and just made my first post.
Attached Images

Last edited by graeme; 31st July 2011 at 21:03.
graeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling