Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 15th November 2019, 02:27   #541  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
For me Win10 is evil, I will never use it, and I am not the only one. It may make life a little easier for devs, but this is not enough to justify your decision to ignore Win7 compatibility in the near future.
I feel the pretty much the same way about Win10 itself, but the problem here is just cosmetic. We know we're going to have a lot of problems soon. You're going to protect yourself, not depending on security patches by Windows Update (actually I disabled Windows Update itself many years ago, in the services.msc level). While it would be great if many devs try to keep supporting Win7 in the future, maybe that won't happen so we're going to have to deal with minor conveniences by ourselves. The way I see it #1 problem of Win10 is forced updates (you don't own your windows; Windows own you... like in Soviet Russia). From what I gathered, the privacy issues of Win10 can be fixed relatively easily (there are many tools for that too). Anyway, let's be strong. You're not alone.
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 07:53   #542  |  Link
stax76

I think traditional QT isn't High DPI independent like QT Quick or WPF.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 18:10   #543  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I think that it is a shame that developers like you show so little regard…
This is the same discussion when I dropped support for XP. And I'm just as unsympathetic to your arguments. No one is forcing you to do anything, least of all using Windows 10. Looks like I have to re-iterate a couple of points about Open Source software in general and MKVToolNix in particular:
  • This is Open Source software. You get the source code. You can do anything you want with it. Don't like that XYZ doesn't work on Windows 7? Well, you get all the source to fix problems yourself or get someone else to fix them for you.
  • Just because I'm offering a program doesn't mean I'm under any obligation to make it suit your particular use case.
  • You don't even have to keep using Windows. MKVToolNix is a cross-platform product, and I've been offering (and will continue to) binaries for various Linux distributions as well as macOS. Switching from W7 doesn't mean you must switch to W10.
  • The best way to protect your privacy is not staying with an unsupported, proprietary operating system, but switching to an updated, free one instead. Like Linux. Or one of the BSDs. If privacy were really that important to you, you'd chose that route. But I'd wager you won't, which only means that privacy is either just a pretext for not liking Windows 10, or you're just angry that I don't value your personal level of privacy concerns the same as you.
  • You get something for free here. I don't owe you anything, and I'm 100% free to chose what I spend my time on.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 18:41   #544  |  Link
ChaosKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
I think traditional QT isn't High DPI independent like QT Quick or WPF.
It seems high dpi scaling is also supports for legacy apps

Quote:
Qt 5.6 supports cross-platform high-DPI scaling for legacy applications, similar to the scaling done natively in macOS. This allows applications written for low DPI screens to run unchanged on high DPI devices. This feature is opt-in, and can be enabled using the following environment variables:
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR
QT_SCALE_FACTOR
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS
Source https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/highdpi.html

Quote:
By default, Qt applications are set to Per-Monitor DPI Aware on Windows 8.1 or System-DPI Aware on older Windows versions.
Maybe this is why it is not scaling on win7?

Last edited by ChaosKing; 15th November 2019 at 18:51.
ChaosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 19:00   #545  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
The best way to protect your privacy is not staying with an unsupported, proprietary operating system, but switching to an updated, free one instead. Like Linux. Or one of the BSDs. If privacy were really that important to you, you'd chose that route. But I'd wager you won't, which only means that privacy is either just a pretext for not liking Windows 10, or you're just angry that I don't value your personal level of privacy concerns the same as you.
The way I see it is Linux technically is not on par with Windows, example one is no browser supports hw acceleration making YouTube unusable for people with 4K/UHD display. I can use mpv to watch YourTube but very often I want to use Chrome.

Second example is PowerShell which I as .NET programmer consider far superior to bash, everything .NET including PowerShell runs fine on Linux but there is still an ideology problem on Linux against Microsoft even though MS nowadays does much for Open Source, much more than Apple I believe and also even Torvalds made a statement that this kind of thinking does not help. If I remember correctly than you left github the time around when it was acquired by Microsoft.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 19:56   #546  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
This is the same discussion when I dropped support for XP.
Yeah, history repeating itself...

But there is one big difference this time. This time you are pushing your users towards using an Operating System (I am talking about Win10, IMO not many users consider Win8 or 8.1 as a viable alternative) which neither corporate users nor government agencies or other public organizations can legally use in Germany. And probably not in the whole European Union because the privacy laws come from the EU.

Did you even read the Heise artikel I linked to?
https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...0-4584678.html

One of the key statements of this article:
Quote:
Verschiedene Untersuchungen zeigten, dass es aktuell nicht möglich sei, die Übertragung insbesondere von Telemetrie-Daten "durch Konfiguration von Windows10 vollständig zu unterbinden.

Several research showed that it is actually impossible to completely disable the transfer especially of telemetry data by configuring Win10.
Since you have your own company you should be familiar with the DSGVO. This law makes it illegal for anyone whose business involves working with personal data of others to transfer such personal data to a third party without explicit consent of the persons who give their personal data to a European company. And transferring such data into a country like the US where no comparable privacy laws exist is completely forbidden.

And Win10 does just this.

Last edited by manolito; 15th November 2019 at 19:59.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 20:36   #547  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Again, I'm _not_ pushing you to use Windows 10. I would if I only offered a Windows 10 version of MKVToolNix. But I don't. I actually offer it for quite a range of operating systems.

And my philosophy is really easy: if the vendor doesn't support it anymore, I don't either. Unsupported software & unpatched machines are quite a problem on the internet (not just Windows, mind you, pretty much all IoT devices fall under this category as to wide swaths of home routers/modems).

So don't try playing the "W10 bad, W7 good" card; I completely reject that premise as it's a very selective view on a rather complex matter.

Old 15th November 2019, 20:47   #548  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
It seems high dpi scaling is also supports for legacy apps
I'm well aware of Qt's documentation regarding high DPI settings. MKVToolNix is using the settings there (Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling). However, that leads to interesting results, especially with the 125% scaling mode in Windows.

In general it works more or less.

What I haven't turned on yet is using proper high-density pixmaps for icons, mostly because I haven't figured out how to make the tool selector's icons behave properly (size calculation, drawing high-density pixmaps properly so they're scaled accordingly).

Certainly not impossible but rather time-consuming.

And the only high DPI monitor I have is connected to my Windows machine. That's all fine, but it makes testing with Linux hard & with macOS (this is just a VM) impossible. Hence me not liking having to work on this particular feature

Old 15th November 2019, 23:52   #549  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

@Mosu
Speaking of privacy... In MKVToolNix GUI, the "Check online for available updates" option is enabled by default. There are many such tools today, but good old tools tend to ask, "Do you want to automatically check updates...?" before phoning home for the first time. Yes, the right thing for me to do would be compiling my own version the way I like. I know that.

@manolito
Don't worry too much.
(1) Mosu explicitly said: “No, this doesn't mean the GUI will magically stop working on W7 on that date.” It's not like W7 support will be intentionally terminated.
(2) We're free to keep using an old OS; similarly we're free to keep using an old version of MKVToolNix forever. Not using the latest version too soon (i.e. using the same old version for a while) is actually a good idea for most (including Win10) users, so you can avoid accidental regressions and tacit compatibility-breaking changes, and make sure you have your MKV files consistent.
(3) Even if GUI becomes incompatible in the future, it's probably easy (if not trivial) to maintain Win7 compatible fork privately, as long as mkvmerge runs on Win7.

Quote:
  • The best way to protect your privacy is not staying with an unsupported, proprietary operating system, but switching to an updated, free one instead. Like Linux. Or one of the BSDs. If privacy were really that important to you, you'd chose that route. But I'd wager you won't, which only means that privacy is either just a pretext for not liking Windows 10, or you're just angry that I don't value your personal level of privacy concerns the same as you.
Don't bet on it I've been thinking that this might be a great opportunity (blessing in disguise) for me to finally migrate to Linux. I don't even like Win7 itself. My friend told me that the easiest way to migrate to Linux is Win10 + WSL. So I might actually get Win10 to learn how to use Linux (kind of ironic).

X : potential security/privacy risks by keeping using Win7
Y : immediate privacy issues and daily annoyance by using Win10
Many somehow assume X > Y. While X > Y might be true for naive users (e.g. if you use Google on Win7, you're already in a worse world than Win10), if you're careful, my gut feeling is X < Y at least for the time being. Sorry OT.

Last edited by Liisachan; 16th November 2019 at 00:16.
Old 18th November 2019, 20:38   #550  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
@Mosu
Speaking of privacy... In MKVToolNix GUI, the "Check online for available updates" option is enabled by default. There are many such tools today, but good old tools tend to ask, "Do you want to automatically check updates...?" before phoning home for the first time.
Yeah, sure, I could ask that question. But I don't care all that much for one simple reason: the update check transmits & reveals less information about the user than what they reveal when visiting the MKVToolNix web site with a regular browser as Qt's network library only transmits a very limited set of headers. Here's the full request:

Code:
GET /latest-release.xml.gz HTTP/1.1
Host: mkvtoolnix.download
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,*
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
The same request will be made for "/releases.xml" for populating the list of changes.

Other things to consider:
  • The only person having access to the server and all of its data is me (apart from the people having physical access in the data center, of course, but then again that's true with all data centers).
  • I only log truncated portions of the source IP address: IPv4 addresses are truncated to their /24 network, IPv6 addresses to /56.
  • I only store logs for five days.
  • I do not ever share log files with anyone else.

I'm not opposed to having that question asked and would accept patches/merge requests that implement such functionality.

Old 21st November 2019, 13:46   #551  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Yeah, sure, I could ask that question. But I don't care all that much for one simple reason: the update check transmits & reveals less information about the user than what they reveal when visiting the MKVToolNix web site with a regular browser as Qt's network library only transmits a very limited set of headers. Here's the full request:

Code:
GET /latest-release.xml.gz HTTP/1.1
Host: mkvtoolnix.download
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,*
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
The same request will be made for "/releases.xml" for populating the list of changes.
Update check itself is not a big problem for me. You can easily turn it off, except for the very first time.

What I don't really like is, when the GUI shows info about new version(s), a link to youtube is shown in such a way that the user may think it's a link to the release note. If you click such a link, youtube.com is called, then indirectly gstatic.com, accounts.google.com, etc. While one might argue this trick-to-click is okay because mkvtoolnix.download itself is affiliated with Google anyway, I think the link should honestly say "Search this on youtube" if it's a link to youtube.

Related to the DPI problem (cosmetic): v40 on Win7; it seems that the "Disable scaling for high DPI displays" option doesn't change anything when the GUI is closed and restarted: tested three 3 dpi values (113; 120; 138).

PS Win7 users should be aware that just because you don't use Win10 doesn't make you "safe."
Old 23rd November 2019, 19:16   #552  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisachan View Post
What I don't really like is, when the GUI shows info about new version(s), a link to youtube is shown in such a way that the user may think it's a link to the release note.
Ah, I see. Before you only talked about the update check. So even if this is moving the goalposts a bit, I think this problem can be easily fixed by changing the layout of the headings, e.g. to something like this:

Quote:
MKVToolNix news & changes (view full list online)

Version 40.0.0 "Old Town Road + Pony" (listen on YouTube)
That better?

Old 26th November 2019, 00:58   #553  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

@Mosu
For me, the root of the problems is that random applications try to connect to remote addresses when the user does not ask/allow them to do so. Such a behavior might have been frowned upon 10 or 20 years ago. Today people seem okay with that. MKVToolnix GUI is just one of many such “today” tools. The solution is obvious (a firewall set up to block/intercept every connection by default). The update check of this GUI does not cause any real problem, easy to disable, and perhaps many people today love automatic checking. So I'm not requesting any changes about this. I block its connection and don't use that dialog box, so its links are not my problem.

What I'm unhappy about is not your GUI, but this trend in general. Even free software (e.g. firefox) doesn't necessarily respect your privacy anymore. Free/nonfree and privacy-oriented/Google-like, are two different dimensions.

Anyway, I'd like to report something different. In /doc/en/mkvmerge.html

1) 12. Attachments: in the example, TTF is attached with --attachment-mime-type application/octet-stream (!!) Yes, I remember I used this MIME in early days. I really hope that the Matroska specs will have a footnote, clarifying which MIME types should be supported as an embedded font.

2) --aac-is-sbr is explained as “needed if a) the source file is an AAC file (not for a Matroska(tm) file) and”... this "not for" is a bit confusing. Perhaps you mean "not from", "not stored in" or something like that?
Old 27th November 2019, 17:19   #554  |  Link
DMD

Good morning
I need to create MKV files with multichannel audio, with audio files in RF64 format, is there no way to make this format compatible with MKVToolnix?
Thanks
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:40   #555  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Good morning
I need to create MKV files with multichannel audio, with audio files in RF64 format, is there no way to make this format compatible with MKVToolnix?
Thanks
I've just enhanced mkvmerge's WAV reader to be able to handle RF64 files, too. Please give the latest pre-build from here a try. If it doesn't work for you, I'll need a sample file for which mkvmerge fails.

Old 2nd December 2019, 23:01   #556  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
Good morning
Thanks
This is interesting...

Why RF64 and what playback device are you intending using?
Old 4th December 2019, 12:58   #557  |  Link
Sharc

Portrait / landscape

.mp4 files have a 'rotation' parameter which ensures that portrait filmed clips (for example from mobile phones) are played back in portrait orientation on TV etc.
When remuxing such files to .mkv the orientation flag seems to get lost and the portrait clip is shown in landscape orientation (90° flipped). Is there an option for keeping the rotation flag in .mkv, or would I have to resize and re-encode the source before remuxing it to .mkv?
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2019, 16:21   #558  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

There is an element called ProjectionPoseRoll, but this element is nowadays not supported.
You can use Matroska Tags (3 players support it) with a SimpleTag -> TagName = ROTATE; TagString = 90 or 180 or 270
and in the Targets element you add a TrackUID element with the UID of the video track.

You could try chapterEditor.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2019, 22:21   #559  |  Link
Sharc

Thanks, will try. But as you write it seems not to be widely supported by players.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 19:38   #560  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v41.0.0 released

Hey,

here's one last release before the end of the year, and it's a bit bigger than the previous ones. Have a look at the news below for details.

Nothing's changed for package maintainers.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available over the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 41.0.0 "Smarra" 2019-12-06

New features and enhancements
  • mkvmerge: Matroska reader: Vorbis tracks: stream comments (aka Vorbis comments) will be converted to Matroska attachments (for cover arts) and Matroska track tags (for other comments). Additionally the stream comments will be removed from Vorbis headers.
  • mkvmerge: MP4 reader: added support for reading Opus audio from MP4 files. Part of the implementation of #2673.
  • mkvmerge: MP4 reader: added support for reading VP9 video from MP4 files. Part of the implementation of #2673.
  • mkvmerge: Ogg reader: Vorbis, Opus & VP8 streams: stream comments (aka Vorbis comments) will be converted to Matroska attachments (for cover arts) and Matroska track tags (for other comments). Additionally the stream comments will be removed from Vorbis headers.
  • mkvmerge: WAV reader: added support for reading RF64 files.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the list of predefined track names is now split up into three lists, one for each track type (audio, video & subtitles). Part of the implementation of #2654.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when trying to add thumbnails for a Blu-ray the GUI will determine the thumbnail's pixel size from the thumbnail files if the XML file doesn't contain that information. This works for JPEG and PNG files. Implements #2674.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: general: line edits & combo boxes will now have a "clear text" button appear whenever they're not empty. Part of the implementation of #2654.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: update check: the dialog showing the latest news & version information states explicitly where the links take the user (the MKVToolNix "NEWS.md" file and YouTube respectively).

Bug fixes
  • mkvmerge: Matroska reader: mkvmerge did not copy the codec's private data when reading WavPack from Matroska files. Fixes #2685.
  • mkvmerge: MPLS handling: re-added caching when using MPLS playlists as input files. Fixes #2666.
  • mkvmerge: MPEG TS reader: when reading an MPLS playlist, the calculation of the minimum timestamp to use for shifting all output timestamps to zero was wrong. It was wrongfully considering timestamps from packets it would not copy due to the MPLS's timestamp restrictions. This could lead to the first timestamps in the output file being quite large, e.g. more than a couple of minutes, causing sync problems when multiplexing together with other files. Fixes #2670.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the automatic switch between aspect ratio & display width/height wasn't reflected in the configuration generated for "mkvmerge". The user had to change between the two settings manually. Fixes #2660.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the progress dialog shown when scanning a Blu-ray wasn't closed properly in certain situations. Fixes #2678.
  • MKVToolNix GUI: general: the configured font was not applied to a lot of controls (e.g. the file & track lists or the menu entries) on application startup. Instead the user had to open & close the preferences in order for the font to be applied to all controls. Fixes #2671.

Have fun

Tags
matroska