Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th May 2020, 13:17   #741  |  Link
Nejiro

Greetings to all, I am new to this forum and I apologize if I use a translator, I use MKVToolNix on Ubuntu 20.04 lts, I have some 1: 1 bluray in which I removed the various languages that I do not need by transforming the m2ts file into mkv, all it works well but I noticed with mediainfo that the bitrate of the video on the mkv file is lower than the m2ts, so I lose quality on the mkv file compared to the m2ts? Or does mkv remove things that are not needed without me losing quality?
Thanks
Nejiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 13:38   #742  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Overhead for an M2TS is higher than for MKV. The actual video is not affected in any way.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 14:17   #743  |  Link
Nejiro

Perfect, thank you very much for your reply, so with an mkv file you won't lose anything, that's what I wanted to hear ......
Old 5th May 2020, 15:32   #744  |  Link
Nejiro

Excuse me another question, when I create mkv files with Handbrake I have the possibility to insert in appropriate spaces plot of the film, director, year etc ... with MKVToolNix is it possible to do it? I can't find where to insert this data .....
Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 15:46   #745  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

One possibility:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...ile-attachment

MKV gurus here may know more about it.

And, oh, welcome to the forum!

Last edited by videoh; 5th May 2020 at 15:48.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 17:36   #746  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejiro View Post
Excuse me another question, when I create mkv files with Handbrake I have the possibility to insert in appropriate spaces plot of the film, director, year etc ... with MKVToolNix is it possible to do it? I can't find where to insert this data .....
Thanks
Such things could be preserved with Matroska Tags.
MKVToolNix has no Tags editor you could try chapterEditor for this task.

Last edited by hubblec4; 5th May 2020 at 22:55.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 18:54   #747  |  Link
Nejiro

I imagined there wasn't a tag editor like on Handbrake, creating an html file I wouldn't know how ...
Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 11:38   #748  |  Link
Nejiro

Excuse me another question, I have an mkv file in which an audio track starts about 5 seconds behind the video, how can I synchronize them? I select the audio track and in the audio delay field I enter 5,000? I don't know how it should be inserted exactly the value 5000 or 5.000? If instead it is the opposite and that is that the audio is in advance I have to put the minus sign in front, that is -5000?
Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 13:05   #749  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

The "delay/sync" functionality simply adds the number of milliseconds given in the box to all timestamps. So if audio is 5s behind your video you have to subtract 5s, which means: add "-5000" ms. So you enter "-5000".

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 21:11   #750  |  Link
Liisachan
李姗倩 Lǐ Shān Qiàn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejiro View Post
insert in appropriate spaces plot of the film, director, year etc ... with MKVToolNix is it possible to do it?
Like others say, it's easy once you know how to tag MKV files. At first, you may feel XML files are difficult, but once you create your "template", you can just reuse the same file again and again, with just editing the tag values.

There is, however, one subtle, tricky aspect...
MPC and MPC-HC parse DESCRIPTION and show it as Description in Information (Ctrl+3).
MPC-BE parses the last COMMENT and shows it as Description.
Because of this, if you'd like to get a consistent result (for both HC and BE), set the last COMMENT identical to the global DESCRIPTION tag (as a workaround). If you only use a global tag file, this simply means COMMENT and DESCRIPTION have the same value in it. If you use par-track tag file(s) too, the COMMENT of the last tag file matters: e.g. if you have not only global.xml but also video.xml, audio.xml, and sub.xml and the track order is video audio sub, then COMMENT in sub.xml matters.

If you don't mind such minor detail (HC/BE compatibility) you can safely ignore this It's just a (weird) workaround for specific players, not at all required in the matroska specs.
Liisachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 21:42   #751  |  Link
markfilipak

Pairing automatic (forced) subs with audio streams

I'm not sure what MKV supports and I doubt that what I want can be done, but perhaps someone less ignorant than me will pitch in.

What I want, and what a BD player does, is pair audio & subtitles in particular ways.

A particular BD movie has English dialog & French dubs. It has infrequent German dialog during scenes set in Berlin. If English dialog is selected (default), then German-to-English translation subs are automatic. If French dubs, then German-to-French translation subs are automatic.

Streams:
1 English audio
2 French dub
3 English subs
4 French subs
5 German-to-English translation subs for scenes in Berlin
6 German-to-French translation subs for scenes in Berlin

Playback of BD disc (e.g., PowerDVD):
1 (+5 automatic) -- part-time translations only
2 (+6 automatic) -- part-time translations only
1 (+5 automatic) + 3 -- full-time English subs & translations
2 (+6 automatic) + 4 -- full-time French subs & translations

Playback of MKV remux (e.g., MPV):
1 -- no subs, no translations
2 -- no subs, no translations
1 + 3 -- English subs but no translations
2 + 4 -- French subs but no translations
1 + 5 -- translations but no English subs
2 + 6 -- translations but no French subs

Is there any way to pair 1 & 5 and 2 & 6 (as though forced subs) so that an MKV remux duplicates the behavior of a BD disc player?
1 (+5 automatic) + 3 -- full-time English subs & translations
2 (+6 automatic) + 4 -- full-time French subs & translations

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited by markfilipak; 18th May 2020 at 15:41. Reason: Clarification, simplification
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 20:21   #752  |  Link
sneaker_ger

The MKV specs don't offer the possibility to bind any specific audio track to a specific subtitle track (or vice versa). I vaguely remember something about a possibility using editions though I think players didn't support it anyways so ...

(Back in the day "Haali's Splitter" offered support for non-spec "TRACKSETEX" to offer such pairings but I don't know if there is any player support outside of the deprecated Haali Splitter.)

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 18th May 2020 at 20:25.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 20:22   #753  |  Link
odino

Is there a way to delete a language from the ISO list? Church Slavic bla bla bla is so long the right-hand panel in the multiplexer is stretched unnecessarily. I will never ever use it among a few others I could trim.
odino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 21:14   #754  |  Link
stax76

Dotnet just calls this Church Slavic. Maybe somebody finds the staxrip approach interesting:

https://postimg.cc/XXzpvxdX
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2020, 21:28   #755  |  Link
markfilipak

Pairing automatic (forced) subs with audio streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
The MKV specs don't offer the possibility to bind any specific audio track to a specific subtitle track (or vice versa).
Thanks for the info. -- Mark.

PS: I found the MKV specification, but github is a show stopper. I searched for MKV editors, but turned up only video editors.

Is there an IFOEdit-style editor for MKV that will at least allow me to see into an MKV and see/copy metadata?

Last edited by markfilipak; 18th May 2020 at 21:55.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 06:07   #756  |  Link
odino

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Dotnet just calls this Church Slavic. Maybe somebody finds the staxrip approach interesting:

https://postimg.cc/XXzpvxdX
Yeah, so I'm sure it can be configured somehow.
Old 19th May 2020, 08:31   #757  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by odino View Post
Is there a way to delete a language from the ISO list? Church Slavic bla bla bla is so long the right-hand panel in the multiplexer is stretched unnecessarily. I will never ever use it among a few others I could trim.
Preferences → GUI → Often used selections

Old 19th May 2020, 09:26   #758  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfilipak View Post
Thanks for the info. -- Mark.

PS: I found the MKV specification, but github is a show stopper. I searched for MKV editors, but turned up only video editors.

Is there an IFOEdit-style editor for MKV that will at least allow me to see into an MKV and see/copy metadata?
The GUI's info tool and header editor give you access to pretty much all of that.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2020, 11:02   #759  |  Link
odino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Preferences → GUI → Often used selections
That only works if I select the tickbox to "only include often used in list" but that defeats the point of an often used list.
Old 19th May 2020, 12:41   #760  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by odino View Post
That only works if I select the tickbox to "only include often used in list" but that defeats the point of an often used list.
Not really, it just allows you to use the selections in two different modes, depending on what you prefer: either the full list with certain entries located at the top or only those entries you tend to use over and over. Most people I talk to prefer the latter.

Don't get hung up on the name.

Tags
matroska