Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 4th October 2020, 18:11   #41  |  Link
manolito

Overshooting the desired target size happens frequently, it is more likely to happen with 1-pass encodes than with 2-pass encodes. A specific encoder may be more prone to it than a different encoder. And it has a lot to do with the source characteristics.

DVD-RB has some hidden settings in "Rebuilder.ini" where the number of target sectors can be changed. You can find this in the Rebuilder help file under "Hidden Settings".
Quote:
All optional settings MUST be placed in the '[Options]' section of the .ini file, otherwise they will be ignored. Any settings changed here will not be activated until the next time you run DVD-RB.

Target Output Size

TargetSectors= nnnn
CCETargetSectors=nnnn
ReJigTargetSectors=nnnn
QuEncTargetSectors=nnnn
HCTargetSectors=nnnn
ProcodertSectors=nnnn

Use Sectors, 1 sector = 2Kb.
Example: CCETargetSectors=2236400

As a reference the default for DVD-RB is 2236400 sectors and the maximum for a DVD-5 is around 2267500. You should always leave a some room for error.

TargetSectors will be the default for all methods. Other, mode specific, target sector settings will override it when using that mode.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 4th October 2020 at 18:13.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 20:21   #42  |  Link
dr_ml422

I'm not going to make too much of an issue with this, though a couple of bytes here and there and you're looking at DVD DL instead of DVD-5. I went in there and didn't see the default value. Is it hidden? Also does HCenc permit 2 pass encodes because I couldn't find any setting for 2 pass encoding. Thanks.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 22:18   #43  |  Link
manolito

AFAIK HCenc uses 2-pass by default unless you explicitly specify 1-pass. Of course you will not see any TargetSectors entry in the INI file, the default value is used unless the user enters the desired TargetSector value.

If you result is only slightly oversized (less than 10%) then I would recommend to use DVDShrink or DVD2one to reduce the size. The quality loss will be minimal for such low reduction values.
Old 17th October 2020, 21:17   #44  |  Link
dr_ml422

Thanks manolito. Everything is working fine! I'm going to search for the Closed Captioning use with DVD-RB Pro. I know I either posted a question about it or saw how to use it.

Ok so I couldn't find how to use the closed captioning option. Can you point me to where it's at? I checked the Help Files etc... and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Last edited by dr_ml422; 17th October 2020 at 23:15. Reason: Additional help.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:25   #45  |  Link
manolito

I found this in the DVD-RB version history from April 30th, 2006 (v1.09.3) - only applies to the Pro version:
Quote:
As closed captioning support appears to be stable, it has been removed from "beta" status and can now be enabled/disabled from the "Settings" menu.
Old 19th October 2020, 21:01   #46  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

And it says "Keep Closed Captions" only , so I guess that one can not mux CC in ?
Haven't used it for some time, got to fire it up again at a point when I have a CC project.
Well, DLP can mux CC in.

Last edited by Emulgator; 19th October 2020 at 21:18.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2020, 18:53   #47  |  Link
dr_ml422

Just enable it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
I found this in the DVD-RB version history from April 30th, 2006 (v1.09.3) - only applies to the Pro version:
Hi manolito, I couldn't get any precise guide/suggestion as how to actually use the Closed Caption option. At least I couldn't find any. Do we just have to enable it and that's that? Thanks.
Old 25th October 2020, 06:55   #48  |  Link
manolito

I do not use the Pro version, so I cannot test it. But if I understand Emulgator correctly then this option only has an effect if the source already has Closed Captions. Then if you enable the option these Closed Captions will be kept, if the option is disabled then they will be removed.