Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th July 2018, 20:31   #51721  |  Link
Asmodian

We already have a neural networks based artifact removal feature in madVR today so the idea cannot be off topic. We also don't want to deep dive into something that could never be part of madVR.

RCA is part of NGU and very effective compared to old deblocking methods, even if it is not part of the decoder.
Old 12th July 2018, 21:35   #51722  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Then it may be a case for the decoder, because different video formats may produce different kinds of artifacts and may profit from format dependent artifact filters.

So, maybe ask for an option in LAV Filters. But I still believe that a renderer is the wrong place.
No idea what you are talking about. For GPU processing the video renderer is the right place for sure and there are already filters to remove artifacts in madVR. So whats your point?
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 22:26   #51723  |  Link
veggav

Back here to ask a few more things, since you guys have a huge patience with me

I use JRiver because it's the only player that can do UHD BD menus with MadVR but the latests version of JRiver still uses an old version of MadVR.
The new one has tons of goodies like denoising and some image processing that are a must.

I know what I'm going to ask is related to JRiver but if I go ask in their forums they will tell me the newer version of MadVR is not supported that's why I'm asking here.

When playing a full UHD disc the subtitles only show if the menu is showing or at least the timeline bar when you pause the movie.
When playing the M2TS file directly this doesn't happen and this problem didn't occour in the older MadVR version bundled with JRiver software.

Do you guys have any idea of something I could try here to solve the problem?

And an unrelated question, do I really have to use exclusive mode for HDR?
My monitor goes HDR mode and it seems fine in D11 Windowed (10Bits). So if it's not broken don't try to fix it? Or am I missing something?
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2018, 22:31   #51724  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
When playing a full UHD disc the subtitles only show if the menu is showing or at least the timeline bar when you pause the movie.
When playing the M2TS file directly this doesn't happen and this problem didn't occour in the older MadVR version bundled with JRiver software.

Do you guys have any idea of something I could try here to solve the problem?
Its a bug in the newer madVR versions, thats why JRiver Media Center still uses the old one until a release is made available that fixes it. I made madshi aware of that bug and hopefully the next one has it fixed, although he has been busy for longer then I would have hoped.

I'm not aware of a work-around.
Old 12th July 2018, 22:53   #51725  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its a bug in the newer madVR versions, thats why JRiver Media Center still uses the old one until a release is made available that fixes it. I made madshi aware of that bug and hopefully the next one has it fixed, although he has been busy for longer then I would have hoped.

I'm not aware of a work-around.
I guess I'll let UHD BD menus aside for now since I really enjoy MadVR features in the newer versions.

This must be a really small bug because M2TS works and when you pause the subtitles are rendered so I don't think this might be hard to fix.

When you spoke with Madashi, did he mentioned a reason why this happens?
Old 13th July 2018, 00:12   #51726  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
When you spoke with Madashi
*madshi

Last edited by ryrynz; 13th July 2018 at 00:15.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 00:46   #51727  |  Link
veggav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
*madshi
Oops.

Cellphone typo.
Old 13th July 2018, 01:42   #51728  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
We already have a neural networks based artifact removal feature in madVR today so the idea cannot be off topic. We also don't want to deep dive into something that could never be part of madVR.

RCA is part of NGU and very effective compared to old deblocking methods, even if it is not part of the decoder.
Sorry, probably should have mentioned artifact removal is already in madVR and be done with it. Typing with a morning coffee and not always paying attention.

I thought it was interesting and somewhat relevant. Nuff said..

Last edited by Warner306; 13th July 2018 at 01:45.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 07:16   #51729  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

That was new for me too. My personal opinion is not always right, especially with missing background knowledge...

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 07:34   #51730  |  Link
Asmodian

I appreciated the post and link, it is cool to see what might be possible for madVR with next gen hardware. I just wanted to point out that we also shouldn't go off on a tangent about it either. It is so easy to go off topic for pages in this thread.
Old 13th July 2018, 09:24   #51731  |  Link
mrmojo666

Hi Mclingo, have you had a chance to try latest 18.7.1 ?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...rad-win-18-7-1
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 13:54   #51732  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
Hi Mclingo, have you had a chance to try latest 18.7.1 ?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...rad-win-18-7-1
Not yet and reluctant to be honest, i've been having an odd problem since I tried multiple driver versions the other day, its shafted my pc a bit. I was getting a red cross on my speaker task bar icon every reboot suggesting the win audio service wasnt fully started when my PC booted, this turned out to be an issue with the win audio service not have service rights to some of the MMdevices reg keys, I think I have this fixed now but it has cropped up again randomly a couple of times now. My second issue is really odd, sometimes when I turn my TV off my PC just stop responding, nothing in events, no network nothing, its like it goes to sleep and wont wake up but the fans are still running and HDD lights are flickering like its doing something. I went back to 18.2.2 to see if this solved this, I havent tested it yet, I want to get stable again before trying this new driver.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 23:00   #51733  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I'm creating 72hz custom resolution and I was wondering which way is better - via nvidia control panel or via CRU. I'm using nvidia drivers 385.41
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 23:09   #51734  |  Link
Asmodian

I only use CRU as a last resort. Custom Resolutions are still a bit... unstable... and I don't think we have a good "this way works better" figured out, it seems to vary based on system and driver versions without a lot of patterns.
Old 14th July 2018, 23:34   #51735  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I got a new SSD recently, so I reinstalled Windows (1803) with newest nVidia drivers.
I used to use nVidia custom resolution to get perfect 23,976Hz. But now, custom resolutions don't work. Maybe that's because they improved 23,976 (still not as good as "my" 23,976), maybe it's a new bug.
In the end, I use CRU to delete some resolutions (allowing me to avoid black screen when I switch my preamp on) and no nVidia custom resolution (since it's broken) so I have a frame repeat every 11-12 minutes. I'll live with this. :/
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 23:42   #51736  |  Link
Manni

Installed Build 1803 today, tried the latest nVidia drivers and still the same mess with the JVCs (video levels botched in 12bits, HDR botched in 8bits etc). Back to 385.28.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 00:06   #51737  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I only use CRU as a last resort. Custom Resolutions are still a bit... unstable... and I don't think we have a good "this way works better" figured out, it seems to vary based on system and driver versions without a lot of patterns.
You are probably right, but I hope other users will share their experience with the custom resolutions.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2018, 00:43   #51738  |  Link
SamuriHL

I had custom res' working but at some point in the last couple weeks after an upgrade it stopped working. I'm in the same boat with the 11-12 minute frame repeat that we get by default now. It's better than it used to be.
Old 15th July 2018, 01:05   #51739  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
You are probably right, but I hope other users will share their experience with the custom resolutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I had custom res' working but at some point in the last couple weeks after an upgrade it stopped working. I'm in the same boat with the 11-12 minute frame repeat that we get by default now. It's better than it used to be.
MadVR custom res still work fine here: 2160p@23p, one drop every hour or so using the EDID/CTA parameters of my JVC.

That's with 385.28. Last driver that works perfectly here with my JVC.

Only downside compared to the 398.xx is the 3D (1080pFP) which has a frame repeat every 3mn vs 13mn. But this improvement isn't worse all the other issues with custom res, bit depth, HDR in 8bits, levels in 12bits, etc.

Some of these issues are JVC specific, but still, too many things are broken with more recent drivers. I'm going to stick to 385.28 until a JVC owner reports that a more recent driver works perfectly. No point wasting time installing/uninstalling with each new version.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 08:25   #51740  |  Link
waldnebel

On Samsung TVs there's a special display mode to simulate HDR effects on SDR content called HDR+. It is used together with a function called optimal contrast.

Can we get such a feature for madVR? I guess those calculations done on the TVs are pretty low in quality?
waldnebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling