Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 2nd April 2019, 10:16   #821  |  Link
Tehnicni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
I presume you have tried RawTherapee, SilkyPix and the likes?
Of course. I would like RAW data before gamma and tone curve correction. Only lens and chromatic aberration correction.
Tehnicni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 13:30   #822  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehnicni View Post
Of course. I would like RAW data before gamma and tone curve correction. Only lens and chromatic aberration correction.
I have tried to make input driver based on libraw. I can share it but the problem is per-image metadata which I have nothing to do about.
If you can deal with just pixels it will do the job.

Btw I think dcraw command line has options to turn off any unnecessary processing, the input driver I mentioned above is merely a handy way to read bayer pixels without external tools.

Last edited by shekh; 2nd April 2019 at 13:33.
shekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2019, 19:44   #823  |  Link
Tehnicni

I'm afraid I do not have enough knowledge for anything like that. The problem is that it would need partially processed RAW data, lens and chromatic aberation.

I'm looking for a holy grail, perfect sunset time lapse.
My idea is to (on the basis of shutter information and the tendency of darkening) multiply raw pixels with a changing factor, to get a smooth transition from day to night. Lightroom & LRTimelapse is not good enough for me. I have IDE for basic picture manipulation to do some functions. Not enought for let say perfect resize. VirtualDub precise bilinear resize (~4K to 2K) do realy great job, they greatly reduce noise.

Last edited by Tehnicni; 2nd April 2019 at 19:56.
Old 2nd April 2019, 20:26   #824  |  Link
shekh

This is something else. At first I thought you want the 'rawest' bayer picture.
I'm too no raw expert, afaik the processing is something like this:
1. debayer (demosaic)
2. normalization (using various curve/matrix stuff embedded in picture)
3. lens/aberration (or it can be before #2, idk)
4. user adjustments
5. tonemapping (shrinking to 8 bits and limited dynamic range)

So do you mean you want to mathematically control #4 to apply transition? And without it, the sequence is perfectly smooth, without any jumps?
In that case sounds like you want to export to some hdr format.
Old 2nd April 2019, 21:29   #825  |  Link
Tehnicni

Sequence is not perfectly smooth, because in Auto Exposure mode shutter time jump in ~2% steps, so you get fast micro flickering (5 flicker/s) which is mainly seen as fast moving pixelation and banding. Deflickering is not a solution because if pixel binary value is let say 50, changing value for +-1% produce no change (50.4999 = 50).

My idea is to use a fixed exposure and manually changing it as needed, let say 1/2 EV every few minutes douring darkening. Or to use external intervalometer with standard auto shutter mode (with fixed ISO and apperture) and hope, that you get much bigger shutter jump, so pixelation and banding change in slow step. Then simultaneous deflickering and ramping.

My video with fast moving pixelation and banding, especially in fadeout portion. Best seen on high contrast OLED display like Samsung Galaxy S7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lne9vsg1sa...2C4Mb.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Tehnicni; 2nd April 2019 at 23:06.
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:48   #826  |  Link
shekh

Nice view. But I see prominent jumps in overall brightness, much bigger than "moving pixelation".
Some silly idea: what if you apply deflickering to initial bayer image (which is closest to exposure math), and store it back to raw format, to trick LightRoom that shutter steps were much finer than 2%.
Also maybe possible to do deflickering on 16-bit tiff export (do you process jpegs)?
Old 4th April 2019, 00:28   #827  |  Link
Tehnicni

I'm working with jpeg, because I can't inport dng in VD. All dng SW with tiff export option export gamma corrected pictures. I'm working with Panasonic raw and found, that in 16 bit tiff all useable data is in upper 8 bits, so there is almost no difference versus jpg.
After half a year of bumping, today I find banding and pixelation (which I talking about in previous post) to cause OLED display - horible. On LCD there is almost no banding and pixelation.

I remembered MSUdeflicker 1.3 and got quite decent and well compressed Time lapse. A small secret, the images were captured with the Samsung Galaxy S7
It's OK for LCD displays, but there is no hope for OLED
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7e03xfq9z...ltSet.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Tehnicni; 4th April 2019 at 01:12.
Old 4th April 2019, 09:27   #828  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
I'm working with jpeg, because I can't inport dng in VD. All dng SW with tiff export option export gamma corrected pictures. I'm working with Panasonic raw and found, that in 16 bit tiff all useable data is in upper 8 bits, so there is almost no difference versus jpg.
Personally I don't create JPEG still image sequences, I convert to PNG, which work well with VirtualDub...
Old 7th April 2019, 23:07   #829  |  Link
Tehnicni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Nice view. But I see prominent jumps in overall brightness, much bigger than "moving pixelation".
Some silly idea: what if you apply deflickering to initial bayer image (which is closest to exposure math), and store it back to raw format, to trick LightRoom that shutter steps were much finer than 2%.
Also maybe possible to do deflickering on 16-bit tiff export (do you process jpegs)?
I have tried MSU deflicker v1.3 and in normal mode works fine. If I set 1st and 3rd setting on max, the result is perfect, no flicker.
With 10% jumps in brightnes MSU deflicker does not work.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tehnicni; 7th April 2019 at 23:11.
Old 8th April 2019, 01:05   #830  |  Link
Tehnicni

From SilkyPix I exported 16 bit tiff (from Panasonic rw2 RAW), imported it into RAWTherapee, raised exposure compensation on 8, and exported part of the picture in jpg, to see the bit depth of the tif image. For comparison, I added also a picture made from 8 bit tiff.
The same 16 bit tif images imported into VirtualDub2 with the level filter input white level 31 gives the image with less bits, posterization is seen in the dark parts of the image.

I can upload the original RW2 (22MB) or 16bit tif (117MB) to my Dropbox.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tehnicni; 8th April 2019 at 01:12.
Old 8th April 2019, 08:35   #831  |  Link
ChaosKing

@Tehnicni "Attachments Pending Approval" it can take very long on this board. Better use an external service, like dropbox.
Old 8th April 2019, 09:53   #832  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
I can upload the original RW2 (22MB) or 16bit tif (117MB) to my Dropbox.
Not sure what I could do with rw2 but it is good to have just in case.
16bit tif: if it is too big you can crop some smaller piece (vd2 should not spoil it if you just use open, crop, save image).
Do you think the 8-bit and 16-bit tiiffs from SilkyPix are otherwise identical? 16-bit may be in linear light or something.

A thing to keep in mind is pixel formats conversion.
Few filters can work with 16 bits, for the rest the image is downconverted (to rgb32 for most 3rd party filters like MSU).
If in doubt look at the filters gui, it shows formats before/after.

So if you want to tweak 16-bit don't use "levels"; try "rgb levels" or "6-axis color".
Old 8th April 2019, 16:31   #833  |  Link
Stereodude

FFMPEG's compression options don't work with Fast recompress Mode. Is that expected? I have a YUV420 source. I'm saving to YUV420. The compression settings show no conversion is necessary. But when I try to save the AVI file I get the following error, "Video format negotiation failed: Use normal-recompress or full mode". Isn't that going to result in no longer lossless handling of the input file to FFMPEG with a unnecessary color space conversion to RGB and back to YUV420?
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2019, 18:44   #834  |  Link
shekh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
FFMPEG's compression options don't work with Fast recompress Mode. Is that expected? I have a YUV420 source. I'm saving to YUV420. The compression settings show no conversion is necessary. But when I try to save the AVI file I get the following error, "Video format negotiation failed: Use normal-recompress or full mode". Isn't that going to result in no longer lossless handling of the input file to FFMPEG with a unnecessary color space conversion to RGB and back to YUV420?
This is weird, will look into issue (repeated with FFV1 codec).

However, I have trouble getting "fast recompress" concept.
From docs:
Quote:
VirtualDub automatically chooses a intermediate video format to use between the codecs
Indeed, historically the choice for output format is disabled.
To me, this is least conservative promise.

If you want to control unnecessary conversion, is is better to rely on the line "no conversion necessary" in normal/full mode. If the conversion is necessary you can still see if it is trivial like YUYV->YUV422 or involves any colorspace change.
Old 8th April 2019, 22:04   #835  |  Link
Tehnicni

rgb level works very weird, see the orange surface behind the fence which became yellow regardless of the illumination. Gray is now OK.

Source 16 bit tif https://www.dropbox.com/s/dygmdo08kn...tCrop.tif?dl=0

It would be a good idea to add an Exposure correction slider to the rgb level plugin.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tehnicni; 8th April 2019 at 22:08.
Old 9th April 2019, 00:40   #836  |  Link
shekh

This is normal for per-channel clipping. If you amplify orange by 4 both r+g channels are maxed out.
What is exposure correction? "6-axis" has intensity slider, it works in YCbCr space / better for color consistency.

Your attachments are only visible to you, try to log off and view this page. Use service like postimages.org
I used to report posts with attachments and now the report button is gone! Is it just me? Maybe moderator had fed up with it
Old 9th April 2019, 01:26   #837  |  Link
Tehnicni

These all around yellow is because these orange have no blue

Attachment can download those who have Dropbox account.

For exposure correction I don't know exactly. Effect must be the same as shutter increase or decrease, 1 step in exposure correction is the same as doubling shutter time (1 stop).
Old 9th April 2019, 23:44   #838  |  Link
Tehnicni

Rgb scale filter is OK for exposure correction, but I could not found tone curve filter (level filter with more point between input black and white level) or level filter for 16 bit source. These type of filter is esential for transformation 16 bit source to 8 bit output, let say to create HDR.
Old 10th April 2019, 07:04   #839  |  Link
osgZach

Has anyone noticed issues with hotkeys. I'm trying to assign hotkeys for starting/stopping video capture, while in video capture mode, but they never work unless the program has focus
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 21:30   #840  |  Link
lansing

I have a frame counting problem with the program. I was loading the same vpy file with vs editor and virtualdub2, while both shows a total frames of 62, vs editor ended at frame 61 but vd2 ended with a gray frame at frame 62.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote