Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th October 2015, 06:34   #33521  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it doesn't work like this.

first the frames are scaled and than SM is used. so the number of frames nnedi3 is used on doesn't change.
Probably more effort than what it's worth. Nvidia's Pascal ain't that far off.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 07:19   #33522  |  Link
huhn

there is a bug some where SM should be kind of free compared to nnedi3.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 07:27   #33523  |  Link
Asmodian

Dithering is performed after SM; when using ordered dithering the hit from smooth motion is much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Probably more effort than what it's worth. Nvidia's Pascal ain't that far off.
It isn't that it is not worth the effort, it doesn't make sense, smooth motion is something that happens to the frames after scaling.

NNEDI is never run on smooth motion frames, only calibration and dither happen after smooth motion.

Last edited by Asmodian; 13th October 2015 at 07:31.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 08:09   #33524  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
NNEDI is never run on smooth motion frames, only calibration and dither happen after smooth motion.
Then SM is buggy.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 08:24   #33525  |  Link
MrBonk

Finally*
I've been trying to get my account to work for ages. Needed a PW reset but email would never come.

Anywho.

I just wanted to ask, with DX11 exclusive mode. Is it normal on W7 for it to simply say "D3D9 Exclusive (New Path)"

Afterburner's OSD shows DX9 and not DX11

Is something wrong here?

http://u.cubeupload.com/MrBonk/mpchc201510130023299.png
(This is just a screenshot I loaded into MPC to show/use as a test)
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 08:47   #33526  |  Link
huhn

d3d11 is not working for you for some reasons.

you may start with your system specs.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:07   #33527  |  Link
huhn

about the SM/nnedi3 issue.

we should first make sure we all talk about the same issue.

my issue is that i get very high rendertimes with nnedi3 and SM most of the time using d3d9 new path none FSE.
Old 13th October 2015, 09:11   #33528  |  Link
MrBonk

I don't think it could be a specs issue.

Core i7 950 @4Ghz
12GB DDR3 @1600Mhz
GTX 980 with a modded Vbios (Issue happens regardless whether it's modded or not)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

No matter whether "Use Direct3D11 for..." is ticked or not. I only get D3D9 Exclusive (new)

Last edited by MrBonk; 13th October 2015 at 09:13.
MrBonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 09:27   #33529  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.89.9 released

For now: Please double check with v0.89.9 if your subtitles are drawn correctly or not. With "correctly" I mean especially the size and aspect ratio of the subtitles.

I have limited experience with subs, never paid too much attention to them before. But since you are asking for feedback, here is mine (Using mVR 89.9 & Subfilter 3.1.0.744):

1) Right away noticed that sub font size was much bigger than before, so reduced the font size from 100% to 80% which seems better

2) If the sub is one line then it is completely inside the bottom black bar which am sure is the intended effect. But if the sub contains two lines then the top line is still up in the video picture and bottom line is now in the black bar. Not sure if this is intended or if both sub lines are supposed to be inside in the black bar. Only Subfilter default setting I changed is the font size as stated above.

Hope this helps
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 10:41   #33530  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Then SM is buggy.
Why? I get about +3ms due to SM when also using ED dithering, with or without NNEDI3 image doubling, but <1ms hit from SM when using ordered dithering. This is using an overclocked 980 Ti, no trade quality for performance options, 720 -> 1440, overlay, and Win10. NNEDI3's OpenCL might interact a little bit with Error Diffusion's Direct-Compute for a small extra performance hit but I cannot measure it on my system.

It has always been this way.
Old 13th October 2015, 10:45   #33531  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Indeed, if you use ED dithering on a 4K output, then 6ms for SM seems normal. Switch to OD to avoid this hit.
Old 13th October 2015, 13:36   #33532  |  Link
x7007

Madvr has issues with DPC using in Potplayer x32 newest not beta , has terrible high DPC and slow motion high cpu after seeking couple of time. didn't happen with madvr 89.6

MPDN x64 2.42.4.3407 doesn't have the issue.

EDIT : on version 89.8 and 89.9 Very high DPC and high cpu with stuttering randomly and slow motion if seeking more than 5-6 times till it's back to normal after 7 seconds and still continue with high randomly high DPC jumps

EDIT : The slow motion and high jumps happens when Subtitles are shown.

Last edited by x7007; 13th October 2015 at 14:32.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 14:16   #33533  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Madvr has issues with DPC using in Potplayer x32 newest not beta , has terrible high DPC and slow motion high cpu after seeking couple of time. didn't happen with madvr 89.6

MPDN x64 2.42.4.3407 doesn't have the issue.

EDIT : Using Madvr 89.8 still doesn't happen and working properly, only on version 89.9 Very high DPC and high cpu with stuttering randomly and slow motion if seeking more than 5-6 times till it's back to normal after 7 seconds and still continue with high randomly high DPC jumps

The DPC latencies here seems ok with 0.89.9 + mpc-be 1.4.5 stable.

Last edited by Siso; 13th October 2015 at 14:28.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 14:59   #33534  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
The DPC latencies here seems ok with 0.89.9 + mpc-be 1.4.5 stable.

Something with the subtitles, with a movie which I have the issue, on very same spots where I have subtitles enabled it slows down.

When subtitles disable it doesn't freeze.

The upload , render , present Queues are going to low number 1-3,1-2,1-2, 0-3 .

Why there is always issue with subtitles.

I am using the built in Potplayer subtitles.

EDIT : Kinda fix for this specific movie . Using Subtitles Output : Disaply on Overlay / VMR/ EVR Surface fix the Queues drops when subtitles enabled.

Using Display on Video / TV OUT makes specific sections in the movie dropped Queues. But using EVR in 3D movies with potplayer get the render time to 115 ms when using 3D subtitles , even with Super-xbr .
Can't figure why subtitles output so important.

Last edited by x7007; 13th October 2015 at 15:03.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 16:14   #33535  |  Link
JohnLai

Anyone noticed the weird flickering with Intel HD4600 IGPU with every madvr version when DirectX 11 being used to render the video?

The flickering occurs when fast forward or even changing full screen exclusive to windowed while video is playing.
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 20:03   #33536  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
I have limited experience with subs, never paid too much attention to them before. But since you are asking for feedback, here is mine (Using mVR 89.9 & Subfilter 3.1.0.744):

2) If the sub is one line then it is completely inside the bottom black bar which am sure is the intended effect. But if the sub contains two lines then the top line is still up in the video picture and bottom line is now in the black bar. Not sure if this is intended or if both sub lines are supposed to be inside in the black bar. Only Subfilter default setting I changed is the font size as stated above.
This.

It's possible to adjust the margin/gutters for subs such that double-line subs are entirely within the black space, but then single line subs are way at the bottom and look sorta weird. Right now I have this compromise using gutters and spacing where single subs look fine, and double subs half overlap into the video area.

Is there any possible way to adjust subs to snap to the top of the bottom black bar? However, I'm not sure how >2 line subs would then be handled.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 20:31   #33537  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
??? Other players offer options to move subs too. What are you referring to?
default settings
Old 13th October 2015, 20:36   #33538  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by har3inger View Post
Is there any possible way to adjust subs to snap to the top of the bottom black bar? However, I'm not sure how >2 line subs would then be handled.
Position the subtitles relatively to the top.
Old 13th October 2015, 23:18   #33539  |  Link
hannes69

Quote:
Posted by madshi:
I think the software solution should be much more reliable. I've added the "command line to execute" feature to profiles for the exact reason that people might want to automate anamorphic lenses or screen masking or lens memories or stuff. So the plan was that every time a profile is switched, madVR calls some command line, maybe passing some parameters. However, I'm not sure if that's what you need? It would allow you to e.g. switch between CinemaScope and 1.85:1 movies. But maybe you want a "perfect" solution which tells you exactly (with 1 pixel precision) where the black bars are? That's somewhat more complicated because currently I've no feature in madVR that would transport that kind of information to you. Shouldn't be hard to add, but the big question is how to do it in a useful and intuitive way, so that other users could reuse the same feature...
In my opinion the software based solution should be better too.
The screen masking should be very exact: uncovered areas would appear as grey edges, covered image areas would appear as light areas on top of the masking boards. Maybe corrupted image boarders would need the new cropping feature. And there are different cinemascope ARs like 2.40:1, 2.39:1, 2.35:1 and so on. So 1 pixel precision is welcome (and needed ).
Now the question how to transport the information out of madvr. I think for several purposes some kind of interface between madvr and an end-user is needed / useful:

- controlling of projector related stuff like masking, external calibration boxes, ...
- leaner "trade quality for performance"-list (main items for the "normal" user in the list, special commands for the "pro" user by interface; no more excuses "the list is already too long"
- probably no more need of filenaming-tricks
- user wishes like 538 different adjusting options in the image refinement section
- customizable OSD with 50+ displayable parameters for control freaks

There are many reasons for such an interface.
Of course it makes no sense to give an end-user too much control, but on the other side there are many "pros" (and I think madvr is developed for enthusiasts) who know to make use of more controlling possibilities in a right way.
I think an interface would be the right way out of blowing up the GUI with too many options for a beginner but preserve much more freedom for the advanced user.
Iīm not a "real" programmer so I canīt say what would be the best solution for such an interface.
For my application case the following would be nice (donīt know if that is easy to do):
To control the motors of my masking system I plan to make a simple GUI application with Visual Studio (GUI to have some knobs, sliders and so on for real time adjustments for the system and a manual override possibility in case of automatic failures). The system is controlled through a serial connection (RS232).
The needed information from madvr (in my case target rectangle) can be gathered like that: there exists a madvr_communication_to_end_user.dll which I can simply import to my project (add reference) and then I can directly make use of the many well-prepared and well-documented methods of the dll (using madvr = madvr_communication_to_end_user; int w = madvr.target.width(); )
That would be really nice for programming purposes.
For me it doesnīt matter HOW to gather the needed information from madvr, it matters THAT I can gather it ...
You are a real programmer madshi, itīs up to you to decide about the right interface
Hannes.
hannes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 00:24   #33540  |  Link
XMonarchY

Off-topic, but I never thought Subtitles can be THAT important to some people... They are just Subtitles...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling