Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 1st February 2015, 02:05   #141  |  Link
legolad

Thanks

Thanks so much, r0lZ. I will try this first thing in the morning and let you know how I do. The good news is that the DVD is very simple. Only 1 film, one Main Menu, a few chapter pages, and the Subtitle Menu. That will make it easier to trace, I hope.
legolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 20:02   #142  |  Link
legolad

Thanks!

Thanks, Roland.

I have sent you an email.

I used the Trace feature as you suggested. The Trace window shows that the ON button is setting the GPRM 6 to 64. There is no SetSTN command being used there. So I think what I need to do is insert a SetSTN command somewhere.

I attached the Zip file to my email. If it is too large, I can put it on Google Drive for you.

Many thanks for all your help!
Old 1st February 2015, 20:17   #143  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I know that the button sets 64 in GPRM 6. It's what its command does. That value must be transferred to SPRM 2 later, not immediately. You have to continue the trace up to the playback of the movie, to verify if (and where) that transfer is executed.
Anyway, I'll have a look at your IFOs tomorrow...
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 13:32   #144  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, there is indeed a big bug in your DVD.
As I have explained above, the two buttons of the subtitle menu change only GPRM 6, and they do not select the subtitle stream directly. A GPRM is a variable, that can hold any value. Setting a GPRM to a specific value has no interest, unless that GPRM is used later to do some thing according to its value. In this case, the DVD authoring should set the subtitle stream on or off according to the value of the GPRM. Changing the subtitle stream must be made either manually with the remote, or with the SetSTN command. The SetSTN command appears only at one place in the whole DVD: it's the second pre-command of the main movie PGC (VTS 1, 1). However, that command is not correct:
Code:
[51 00 00 00 C0 00 00 00]   2  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = 0, on
As you can see, that command selects subtitle track 0 and turns it on anyway, regardless of the value of GPRM 6. Since that command is always executed before the main movie begins to play, the subtitle is always on.

To use the value contained in GPRM 6 and therefore to take into account the user choice, you should modify that command, like this:
Code:
[41 00 00 00 86 00 00 00]   2  (SetSTN) Set Sub-picture track = gprm(6)
That commands uses the value in GPRM 6 to select subtitle #0 and turn it on or off. (Double-click the command to modify it. In the command editor, select the option "Set audio, sub-picture and/or angle to GPRM". Then, in the "sub-picture" frame, leave the "set to" option unchanged, but change the GPRM number from 0 to 6. OK the dialog.) Now, when you insert the DVD, if you go to the subtitle menu and use the ON or OFF button, and then you play the movie, the subtitle selection will be correct.

However, that's not sufficient to solve all problems related to the subtitles. Currently, GPRM 6 is never modified, unless the user goes to the subtitle menu to explicitly change it with one of the two buttons. Since the value of a GPRM is 0 by default, if the movie is played directly, without going to the subtitle menu first, that value will be used to select the subtitle. 0 means select subtitle #0 and turn it OFF. If it's not what you want by default, you should initialize the value of GPRM 6 to do what you want by default.

There are 3 possibilities. You can set the value to 0 to turn the subtitle OFF be default, or set it to 64 to turn it ON by default, or set it to 62 to let the player decide if the stream must be turned on or off according to its language settings. Anyway, to do that, select the First Play PGC in the left pane, be sure to select the very first line (with "*** pre commands") in the right pane, click the "Add After" button in the bottom of the main window. You should see a new NOP command as pre-command #1. Double-click that command to open the command editor. Use the "Alphabetically" menu to select the "Set" command. Now, change the "Set GPRM 0 = Mov Value 0" to "Set GPRM 6 = Mov Value N", where N is 0, 64 or 62, depending of what you want by default. OK the dialog.
For example, to turn the subtitle #0 ON by default, the new command should be:
Code:
[71 00 00 06 00 40 00 00]   1  Set gprm(6) =(mov) 64
Save the DVD and test with a good software player before burning it.

BTW, IMO there is another little problem in this DVD. The main movie has no "Root Menu", and it is therefore impossible to return to the menu during the playback of the movie, except by clicking the Title Menu button. It's unusual, and it is easy to fix that problem if you wish. Click on the "VTST 1, 1 TTN 1 (2:04:17) Title 1" PGC in the left pane, and select the 4 post-commands with the mouse in the right pane, and then click on the "Copy" button to copy them in the clipboard. Now, right-click on the same PGC in the left pane, and select "New Menu" in the popup menu. You should see a new "VTSM 1, LU1 (en), 1 ..." PGC just above the main movie PGC. In the right pane, select the first pre-command and click the "Paste Replace" button. The 4 post-commands of the main movie should now replace the default command of the new menu PGC, like this:
Code:
VTSM 1 , LU 1 (en) , 1  (dummy)  RootM

********** pre commands:
[71 00 00 03 00 00 00 00]   1  Set gprm(3) =(mov) 0 
[71 00 00 07 00 01 00 00]   2  Set gprm(7) =(mov) 1 
[61 00 00 06 00 82 00 00]   3  Set gprm(6) =(mov) sprm(2:Sub-picture track number) 
[30 06 00 01 00 C0 00 00]   4  (JumpSS) Jump to VMGM PGC 1 
********** post commands:
********** cell commands:
(The 4th command is different than in the main movie PGC, but it's normal.) Save and test. Now, it is possible to use the normal Menu button on the remote to return to the menu during the playback of the movie.

Now your DVD should work perfectly. Enjoy!

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd February 2015 at 13:42.
Old 3rd February 2015, 02:29   #145  |  Link
legolad

Thanks!!!

Wow. You really are a wizard at this.

I see now what happened and it's all my fault.

At the very beginning of this adventure, after I created the original DVD, the Subtitle options didn't do anything. Also, the director asked me to turn on the Subtitles by default, but still allow people to turn them off.

Before I solved the menu, I followed a Doom9 guide to set the Subtitles to ON by default. The guide showed me how to add the SetSTN command in the beginning. I didn't know GPRM was a variable, so it never occurred to me that these things were related.

I followed your excellent instructions. I even fixed the root menu problem.

I just finished testing and it all works flawlessly! If you were here I'd buy you a beer <or your alternative celebratory beverage of choice>.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Old 3rd April 2017, 23:03   #146  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi r0IZ

I have tested the new version with the PGC2mkv plugin with Alien DVD Title 1.
There some bug's: converting sup2sub: ERROR: Too many input files. -> no sub file was created) and the audio (eng) is asynchronous near the end of the movie.

In the subtitle selection section you named the german subtitle 0x24 "FORCED ONLY", where can I find this info in the IFO?
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 12:13   #147  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have no idea why there is an error when converting the subtitles. Please post the log here. (I can't test the problem myself because I don't have the DVD.)

A stream can be globally marked as forced in the VTSI_MAT table (like all other information about the subtitle: for children, director comments, large, normal etc...) But that info is usually not specified (another thing that most authors of commercial DVDs do very badly), and the fact that a stream is not marked as globally forced doesn't mean that it is not forced. Furthermore, a subtitle track can have some forced subtitles and other subtitles that are not forced. For that reason, the SetSTN command has a parameter to display all subtitles or only the forced ones.

In the subtitle stream, each individual subtitle has a "forced" flag that can be set or clear. The IFO contain the "forced subtitles" information only for the whole stream, but cannot tell that a stream contains only SOME forced subtitles. When the stream is converted by BDSup2Sub, it can extract only the subtitles with the forced flag set and generate an output stream with the forced subtitles only. That's handy, since most (all?) MKV players cannot distinguish the forced subtitles in a stream with forced and unforced subtitles. So, if you want to let the user chose to display either all subtitles or only the forced subtitles with any player, you have to generate two streams: one with all subtitles and the other with the forced subtitles only.

Unfortunately, since it is not possible to know if a stream contains some forced subtitles just by analyzing the IFO, it is only possible to know that after the demux of the whole stream. So, the plugin presents you the two streams in its GUI: the original full stream, and a "pseudo-stream" with the forced subtitles only. If you select the latter one, BDSup2Sub will be used to extract the forced subtitles and generate a "forced only" stream. Of course, if there are no forced subtitles at all in the stream, it will not be possible to generate that stream, and PGC2MKV will simply issue a warning in the log and skip the forced only stream.

Note that SubtitleCreator can be used instead of BDSup2Sub to convert the subtitles, but SubtitleCreator cannot extract the forced subtitles only. Therefore, if you have selected SubtitleCreator in the settings of the plugin, you will not see the "FORCED ONLY" pseudo-streams in the GUI. Also, the plugin will not add the forced only pseudo-stream in its GUI if the stream has already a global type like Director Comments, as it doesn't make sense to flag some subtitles as forced in that kind of stream. And of course, if the whole subtitle has the forced flag in VTSI_MAT, the forced only pseudo stream is not added, since by definition all subtitles are forced (even if they do not have the individual forced flag set).

[NOTE to other readers] This reply and the previous post by hubblec4 follow a discussion started in another thread. A new beta version of PgcEdit 9.4 and the PGC2MKV plugin, not officially released yet, are necessary.

Last edited by r0lZ; 4th April 2017 at 12:47.
Old 4th April 2017, 12:30   #148  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
The IFO doesn't contain the "forced subtitles" information. But in the subtitle stream, each individual subtitle can have a "forced" flag set or clear. .....

Unfortunately, since that info is not stored in the IFO, it is only possible to know if a specific subtitle stream has some forced subtitles after the demux of the whole stream. So, the plugin presents you the two streams: the original full stream, and a "pseudo-stream" with the forced subtitles only. If you select the latter one, BDSup2Sub will be used to extract the forced subtitles and generate a "forced only" stream. Of course, if there are no forced subtitles at all in the stream, it will not be possible to generate that stream, and PGC2MKV will simply issue a warning in the log and skip the forced only stream.
Ok, I understand and make sense to me.
The forced subtitle extraction is a task which run in my DVD2mkv editor automatically (at the end of demuxing).
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 12:56   #149  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Please note that I have edited my previous post. The quote in your post contains a part of the old version, and is partially wrong. There IS an info about the forced subtitles in the IFO, but only for the whole stream, not for individual subtitles within the stream.
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:48   #150  |  Link
LogicDeLuxe

I have one big suggestion for a simple enhancement:
Some DVDs have lots of fake titles, and you get this popup a lot:
"Warning in VMG_TTSRPT table! The Titles 1 and 2 are assigned to the same PGC...
Since Title 2 is not the last one in the table, PgcEdit cannot remove it..."
Can you add an "OK to all" button to that, so you don't have to click on OK almost a hundred times?
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:55   #151  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I'll try to do it, but don't expect it soon. Currently, I'm not working much on PgcEdit...
Old 24th June 2017, 08:23   #152  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

@LogicDeLuxe: Hum, I've just verified my code, and the dialog has already an "OK to all" button. It should work.
What version of PgcEdit do you have?
Old 24th June 2017, 09:56   #153  |  Link
ggtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
@LogicDeLuxe: Hum, I've just verified my code, and the dialog has already an "OK to all" button. It should work.
What version of PgcEdit do you have?
I requested that feature 6 years ago in this thread.
I use the beta you provided since then.

Looking into the latest "official" beta from this thread it looks like the feature is still there.

@LogicDeLuxe: Just download an test it. There also a new menu entry under "Tiltle -> Remove duplicate title numbers" which is more than helpful. Thanks to r0lZ

ggtop

Last edited by ggtop; 24th June 2017 at 10:01.
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 10:21   #154  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks ggtop! I forgot completely that that feature has been added only in the beta. I will try to release a new version soon...
Old 25th June 2017, 14:41   #155  |  Link
ggtop

I couldn't believe it is 6 years ago. But looking into an mirror it's propably correct
Forums are collective brains. There's always the chance someones remembers.
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:38   #156  |  Link
Ghitulescu

If it's not too late, the only one feature I would like to see in the new PGCedit is the possibility to freely manipulate the VID/CID in a PGC (adding, removing, renaming/renumbering).

For instance to be allowed to add any VID/CID, even if not existent, and if not existent to be a blank one.
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:59   #157  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I'm not sure I understand whet you want. Do you want to be able to change the order of the cells, delete or add new cells in a PGC, for example to remove the credits of the movie or swap chapters? That's already possible with the PGC Editor. Just click on any VID/CID to assign it another VID/CID or replace it with a new tiny black cell. Of course, you cannot physically change the VID/CID in the VOB files, and the cells will not be moved in the VOBs, but you can already modify the playback order of the cells of the PGC. And if you replace a cell with another one, you can get rid of the original VOB cell with FixVTS or VobBlanker. I can't do much more.

If you want a real VOB editor that can modify the order of the cells in the VOB files, then it's not possible, and that will never be possible with PgcEdit. It's a very big job, requiring a full video editor with the constraints of the DVD VOB files (nav packs, buttons etc...) It's the job of a full featured authoring program, but certainly not of an editor that has to work on the final VOB and IFO files. As its name implies, PgcEdit is a PGC editor, not a VOB editor.

However, it is already possible to add a blank tiny cell at the end of the VOB file, but you can't insert it elsewhere, and therefore its VID/CID is determined by the other cells already present in the VOB, and it cannot be modified. I've added that possibility to be able to blank a cell (or a whole domain) by replacing it with a new tiny cell, but nothing more.

It is also possible to edit the menu parameters in the nav packs of the VOBs (with the menu editor), but that feature is also somewhat limited, and was necessary anyway to be able to control the whole navigation of the DVD.

Note also that there are already several programs that can somewhat manipulate the VOB files, like VobBlanker, IFOEdit, VOBEdit and FixVTS. In conjunction with PgcEdit, it is already possible to do many things.

Anyway, I don't have the time, the knowledge and the motivation to do a full VOB editor. Sorry.
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:14   #158  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I was not clear, maybe...

This function exists in 9.3, so it is possible

Just that if one (I in this case) wants to add a cell to an existing PGC, the new cell will have a new VID (2 if the whole PGC was 1, 3 if it had 1 and 2 and so on). This artificially logically adds a new "segment" - and some other programs interpret this as two parts (like eg main feature and its trailer or studio/authorhouse logo - there are commercial DVDs employing this scheme).
My suggestion was to increase the CID not the VID.
Or alternatively to give me the possibility of setting VID and CID.
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:16   #159  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Attached Images

Old 3rd July 2017, 17:24   #160  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I understand. It is possible to easily add a new VOB (a cell with a new VID) because it's an independent VIdeo Object (you call it "segment"), and despite the fact that it is in the same VOB files, after other VOBs, it is totally independent and self-contained. But it is not as easy to add a new cell to an existing VOB (with the existing VID and a new CID) because the cell must be a part of the same continuous stream, with continuous time codes and a lot of links between the new cell and the previous cell. And many tables in the IFO must be modified as well. Again, that requires a full featured video editor, that PgcEdit is not.

For the same reason, you cannot simply change the VOB/CELL ID of a cell to magically link it to the other cells of the previous VOB. In fact, I think that to do it, you may have to re-encode completely the video, or at least process it through a specialized muxer that can concatenate several VOBs. IMO, even the excellent muxman is unable to do that, and I don't think that such a muxer exists. Perhaps VideoReDo? (But you will certainly lose the DVD structure.)

Sorry again, but what you want is far beyond the scope of PgcEdit.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd July 2017 at 17:34.