Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th May 2019, 02:14   #56341  |  Link
huhn

that's how throttling works. as soon as the throttling temp is reach in your case ~80 it will lower the clock to avoid going over that temp.

the normal boost clock of a maxwell GPU is over 1200 mhz.
your system is "killing" itself right now. your system is throttling so hard i doubt the cooler is still working.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 03:34   #56342  |  Link
Asmodian

It is possible for the thermal paste in an old laptop to harden and "crack" off the GPU or cooler. This hurts cooling performance a lot and also shows that really fast throttling behavior because there is no thermal mass for the GPU to heat up before it starts throttling.

Not related to madVR, any 3D load like a game will have the same problem.
Old 27th May 2019, 06:44   #56343  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
So i have a weird one that started happening maybe a month ago. Basically when I open a video with a player that is using MadVR, there is a chance that my computer will hard-lock. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I have tried with both Potplayer and MPC-HC.

I'm running a 3770K and a 980ti. I had the CPU overclocked, but returning to stock seemed to have no effect.

There have been 2 situations where I've noticed it.
  1. I'm opening a video - I never see a picture before it locks, it's always before there is a picture. This is without going fullscreen.
  2. Changing out a 3Dlut.

I'm pretty solidly convinced that it is not a hardware/stability issue. I can game all day long without issues. I have stress tested the CPU with IBT and the GPU with 3dmark stress test and have had absolutely no issues with that or doing anything else. The PC is watercooled and my temps are fine. There are no WHEA errors or any other kind of hints in the event log either.

I have tried all of the different decoders in LAV. I have tried it without LAV installed at all. I have tried several different Nvidia driver versions, using DDU with each install.

I'm convinced it has something to do with MadVR, because I have tried to replicate it using the default renderer and it doesn't happen. It also seems to be completely random. Sometimes I'll have opened several videos before it happens, and then go several more before it happens again. Sometimes it will happen 5 times in a row.

The thing that gets me though is that I had made no changes to anything from before it started to when it started. I was running the same GPU driver, hadn't changed any MadVR settings or any other filter settings. Maybe there was a Windows 10 update that did it? I've been on 1809 for several months.

any help would be appreciated.

edit: also, most of my video is played over a network, so to rule out anything network/harddisk related I tried it with local videos as well and it will still happen.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I still cannot figure it out, and this is the only situation that anything like this happens. My computer is otherwise perfectly stable.

I've tried everything I can think of short of re-installing windows.
ttnuagmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 07:05   #56344  |  Link
huhn

try debug mode and look into the log after you reboot. don't except anything from this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 07:17   #56345  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas on this? I still cannot figure it out, and this is the only situation that anything like this happens. My computer is otherwise perfectly stable.

Make a note of your madVR settings, and copy any scripts into a text file. Then run the "restore default settings.bat" file found in the madVR folder. Chances are good that the problem will be gone. Add your settings back one at a time until you get the problem again--if you do.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 07:24   #56346  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkauff View Post
Make a note of your madVR settings, and copy any scripts into a text file. Then run the "restore default settings.bat" file found in the madVR folder. Chances are good that the problem will be gone. Add your settings back one at a time until you get the problem again--if you do.
I've uninstalled MadVR and reinstalled it, would that not accomplish the same thing?
Old 27th May 2019, 11:25   #56347  |  Link
ryrynz

No, there are registry settings also. Restore default settings.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 12:53   #56348  |  Link
ttnuagmada

No dice.
Old 27th May 2019, 13:05   #56349  |  Link
clsid

Use the debug version. Then you can see what madVR does right before the hang occurs.

Scan your harddrive for bad sectors.
Scan for damaged Windows files.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2019, 14:18   #56350  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:

i had a similar issue a couple of times before, maybe not exactly the same though.

before resorting to a full windows rebuild, have you chucked the full monty at it in one go, rather than doing everything bit by bit?, before you do a full rebuild try this all in one go.
  • Remove NVIDIA driver using DDU and reboot.
  • Remove MADVR completely
  • Remove Lav completely.
  • Reboot again
  • reinstall Nvidia driver.
  • Install MPC-BE and run up a movie just to check all is working ok at this point.
  • install LAV
  • Install MADVR in a !!NEW!! location
  • Switch MPC-BE render to MADVR and try it, leave MADVR at stock settings for now.
Old 27th May 2019, 14:38   #56351  |  Link
el Filou

@ttnuagmada have you tried disabling fullscreen exclusive mode? (I think it's enabled in the default madVR settings)
Old 27th May 2019, 14:50   #56352  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
@ttnuagmada have you tried disabling fullscreen exclusive mode? (I think it's enabled in the default madVR settings)
Since a few releases, it is disabled by default.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 02:57   #56353  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
I have not, but the lockups dont occur at full screen. It happens the second the video is opened in a window. I don't have it set to go fullscreen automatically.

Last edited by ttnuagmada; 28th May 2019 at 03:00.
Old 28th May 2019, 03:01   #56354  |  Link
ttnuagmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Use the debug version. Then you can see what madVR does right before the hang occurs.

Scan your harddrive for bad sectors.
Scan for damaged Windows files.
i'll try this when i get home.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:03   #56355  |  Link
njfoses

Nvidia driver 430.86 released.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 12:57   #56356  |  Link
veggav

Madvr uses the private nvidia api to enable hdr.

Can someone or madshi show the api?
I want to make a script for other things to enable hdr by command line interface.

@Madshi can you post the API, please?
veggav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 14:26   #56357  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggav View Post
Madvr uses the private nvidia api to enable hdr.

Can someone or madshi show the api?
I want to make a script for other things to enable hdr by command line interface.

@Madshi can you post the API, please?
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi
https://developer.nvidia.com/high-dy...ay-development
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 15:58   #56358  |  Link
veggav

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for.

The white papers even bring the code ready.
I'm just wondering, the APIs are part of nvidia drivers now? Or those need to be installed?

If I'm getting this right, all I need to do is copy and paste the code to the player and it will trigger HDR.

Also again, much appreciate the help.
Old 28th May 2019, 16:32   #56359  |  Link
Alexkral

No, you don't need to install anything else.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 17:55   #56360  |  Link
veggav

Great thank you.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling