Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st June 2015, 11:41   #4521  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
Yes, DirectShow by design isn't frame accurate so DDS2 isn't usable for certain scripts, on the plus side is efficient hardware decoding and it's nice it don't need indexing. I think even hardware deinterlacing is possible. It's not as good as DGDecNV but free.
it is theoretically possible to use DXVA deinterlacing and copyback but i don't know a DS filter that can do it.

and in the end way to risky anyway. if the result isn't frame accurate not sure if any benefit is worth that.
and it should made as clear as possible to new people "don't use DSS/DSS2".
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 12:26   #4522  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it is theoretically possible to use DXVA deinterlacing and copyback but i don't know a DS filter that can do it.

and in the end way to risky anyway. if the result isn't frame accurate not sure if any benefit is worth that.
and it should made as clear as possible to new people "don't use DSS/DSS2".
Do you know where exactly it fails?
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 13:48   #4523  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Do you know where exactly it fails?
i haven't used it in years.

but an easy way to see the issue was this.

directshowsource("yoursource")

and a script with

ffmpegsource2("yoursource")

and load it in vdub.

it was totally normal that the first frame was missing in the dss source script and if i'm not mistaken even the total number of frames where different.

adding a textsub makes things even worse.

and the next problem is what directshow decoder and splitter is used. so reproducing an issue with someone using DSS is pretty hard.

dss2 does a way better job but still.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 16:01   #4524  |  Link
hello_hello

Zathor,

Is the updating of the TimeStretch plugin still a work in progress?

I ask as TimeStretch.dll appears to have been added to the "MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin" folder but MeGUI is still loading the old plugin from the other plugin folder like this (Win XP):

AddAutoloadDir("C:\Program Files\MeGUI\tools\avs\plugins")

(Edit: What's the reason for the two plugin folders anyway?)

When the new TimeStretch plugin is eventually being used, the warning about destroying the phase relationship probably should be removed from the log file.

The above applies to MeGUI using the portable version of Avisynth or Avisynth+. When it's using Avisynth 2.5.8 or 2.6 etc, MeGUI still seems to be using the "built in" TimeStretch function rather than the new plugin. It would need to be loaded differently, I think.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...59#post1723059

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 1st June 2015 at 16:09.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 20:02   #4525  |  Link
kalehrl

I encoded a couple of files from mkv and mp4 format to xvid avi and the resulting files all had this strange entry in the mediainfo:
Code:
Frame rate                     : 47.952 fps
Original frame rate            : 23.976 fps
The frame rate is 2x the normal frame rate of the source.
lsmash was used which seems to be the default of late.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 03:07   #4526  |  Link
hello_hello

kalehrl,
I think "original frame rate" is the frame rate written to the video stream. The other one is the frame rate written to the container. I guess for the moment you could fix it by muxing the video and audio manually as it seems it's a muxing problem.
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:05   #4527  |  Link
kalehrl

I did mux audio and video manually using avi muxer in megui and it produced this.
I don't think it's avimux-gui's problem but rather ffmpeg's or lsmash's one.
Old 2nd June 2015, 20:42   #4528  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
Is it expected for avi files to be muxed with avimux_gui instead of ffmpeg?
I encoded a file in xvid and it was automatically muxed into avi using ffmpeg and the original m4v file was deleted.
When I wanted to mux audio with it, avimux_gui was used with a warning that
Yes, this is correct. FFmpeg is only used to create proper files for reuse in AViMuxGUI or MkvMerge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Is the updating of the TimeStretch plugin still a work in progress?
I haven't even started to work on that topic :-) I have only updated already the package as I had to update vsfilter.
Two plugin folders are there btw because of standalone AviSynth+ and general plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
I encoded a couple of files from mkv and mp4 format to xvid avi and the resulting files all had this strange entry in the mediainfo:
Code:
Frame rate                     : 47.952 fps
Original frame rate            : 23.976 fps
The frame rate is 2x the normal frame rate of the source.
lsmash was used which seems to be the default of late.
Post the log and if possible a sample file.
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:31   #4529  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
I haven't even started to work on that topic :-) I have only updated already the package as I had to update vsfilter.
Two plugin folders are there btw because of standalone AviSynth+ and general plugins.
I guess I just assumed, as TimeStretch.dll in the MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin folder is dated 17th may 2015 so I assumed it was a recent addition. The version I have in the MeGUI\tools\avs\plugins folder is January 2014.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to hassle you.....
Old 3rd June 2015, 14:48   #4530  |  Link
kalehrl

Quote:
Post the log and if possible a sample file.
Logs sent via pm.
Sample shouldn't be necessary because every single file with frame rate of 23.976 exhibits this.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:45   #4531  |  Link
Zathor

Thanks. FFmpeg does not set the frame rate in the correct way when it is not forced with -r.

Code:
2561 [AVI Muxer]            improved logging
2560 [FFmpeg Muxer]         force source frame rate (regression of 2546)
2559 [MP4 Muxer]            support UTF-8 for track names. Patch by Eli Bildirici #68
Old 4th June 2015, 11:58   #4532  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
I guess I just assumed, as TimeStretch.dll in the MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin folder is dated 17th may 2015 so I assumed it was a recent addition. The version I have in the MeGUI\tools\avs\plugins folder is January 2014.
It is a recent addition (together with the vsfilter plugin). But in order to use it also MeGUI itself has to be modified.
Btw. does this new plugin really fix the destroying of the phase relationship?
Old 4th June 2015, 20:09   #4533  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathor View Post
Btw. does this new plugin really fix the destroying of the phase relationship?
I've only briefly tested it but the old plugin resulted in obvious phasing after encoding and then downmixing the encoded audio to stereo on playback, whereas the new plugin did not.
I think that was the whole point of the new version. To update SoundTouch to something more recent.

http://www.surina.net/soundtouch/README.html
Change history.
1.8.0:
Added support for multi-channel audio processing

Last edited by hello_hello; 5th June 2015 at 09:52.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:51   #4534  |  Link
hello_hello

Given Avisynth+ development isn't moving at a hectic pace, could I suggest updating the version MeGUI uses (r1576?) to r1825?
According to the info here it's considered to be more stable than the official stable version.

I'm suggesting updating it as I found an issue with r1576 that's apparently not an issue with r1825.
InpaintFunc.avs - Different result depending on Avisynth version
I haven't tested the newer Avisynth+ myself yet, but from what I understand after reading Groucho2004's posts in the above thread, Avisynth+ r1576 produces a different result to Avisynth 2.6.0.6, whereas Avisynth+ r1825 and Avisynth 2.6.0.6 produce the same result with the InpaintFunc script.
Old 24th June 2015, 12:10   #4535  |  Link
stax76

Another problem with r1576 is it's not compatible with recent ffmpeg versions.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:56   #4536  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Another problem with r1576 is it's not compatible with recent ffmpeg versions.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I have Avisynth 2.6 installed but unfortunately there's still some sort of memory issue when using MeGUI/ffms2 with MKV source files and the "installed" Avisynth. It causes the Script Creator to produce errors when cropping or resizing if you don't do it very slowly and it's fairly annoying. Unfortunately that's a combination I use quite a bit so I'm forced to stick with the portable version of Avisynth that comes with MeGUI.
Old 25th June 2015, 12:05   #4537  |  Link
Barough

I manually updated to AviSynth+ r1825 like a month and a half ago and it works really well with MeGUI. I also update ffmpeg like once a week or so. Haven't stumbled over any issues so far........
Barough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 12:31   #4538  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

I have Avisynth 2.6 installed but unfortunately there's still some sort of memory issue when using MeGUI/ffms2 with MKV source files and the "installed" Avisynth. It causes the Script Creator to produce errors when cropping or resizing if you don't do it very slowly and it's fairly annoying. Unfortunately that's a combination I use quite a bit so I'm forced to stick with the portable version of Avisynth that comes with MeGUI.
There is a memory leak in ffms2 C plugin but MeGUI probably don't use the C plugin. StaxRip isn't effected by any ffms2 problem but it's different in that it uses VFW avifile for both AviSynth+ x64 and VapourSynth x64.
Old 25th June 2015, 14:11   #4539  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barough View Post
I manually updated to AviSynth+ r1825 like a month and a half ago and it works really well with MeGUI. I also update ffmpeg like once a week or so. Haven't stumbled over any issues so far........
MeGUI puts Avisynth.dll in lots of it's own folders (each encoder folder, the avs folder etc). Is it safe to replace each one with the new file or will MeGUI just over-write them all with the old version again when it runs?

I'm assuming you're referring to using the portable Avisynth+ as opposed to installing it?
Old 25th June 2015, 14:27   #4540  |  Link
Barough

Quote:
MeGUI puts Avisynth.dll in lots of it's own folders (each encoder folder, the avs folder etc). Is it safe to replace each one with the new file or will MeGUI just over-write them all with the old version again when it runs?

I'm assuming you're referring to using the portable Avisynth+ as opposed to installing it?
I just replaced the files in the avs folder and that was it. Haven't seen the Avisynth.dll file in any other folders.

The portable version is what i use.
Barough is offline   Reply With Quote