Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 14th October 2019, 03:29   #1  |  Link
voightkampfferror

noob questions.

I Have some basic questions for you guys. I've admittedly not done too much research on this forum but what I have I haven't come up with too much. figured some of you superstars may be willing to help me directly

1. sometimes bd rebuilder doesn't launch a decoder at all. right now I'm rebuilding a movie that is in MPEG4 format and it isn't using LAV for decode. I'm wondering about this because my processor isn't anywhere near fully optimized and when BD rebuilder uses LAV it uses all cores close to 100%. is there something I can or even should change to make the jobs faster in this regard? This is on an AMD 2700x if that matters.

2. If I have any hardware decoding available to me should I be using it? I would love to cut down on job times but I've read a lot of info that claims quality suffers and I don't want to budge on that front. Is that info out of date at this point? I have a GTX 1070 card. (I usually go with a dvd9 backup of blu-ray.)

oh and to everyone responsible for this software and its progression over the years, a huge thank you to you all!
voightkampfferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2019, 03:50   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by voightkampfferror View Post
you superstars
Flattery will get you everywhere.

Quote:
If I have any hardware decoding available to me should I be using it? I would love to cut down on job times but I've read a lot of info that claims quality suffers and I don't want to budge on that front.
Decoding is always bit correct no matter whether you do it on the CPU or GPU. If HW speeds things up, go for it!

Welcome to the forum, a haven for all that channel the divine, and champion what is right and correct.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 02:50   #3  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Decoding via hardware or software should be the same quality.

When it comes to encoding, hardware had been inferior. There has been steady progress on the hardware encoding front with GTX10xx being better than GTX9xx, etc., and again with Nvidia's RTX series, and the GTX1660/1660ti (gtx1650 has older hardware encoder) which have improvements. So much so that there is said to be little, if any difference between software and hardware encoding quality, with better speed when using the GTX20x0 or GTX1660/1660ti. Unfortunately BD Rebuilder isn't using hardware encoding.

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 8th June 2020 at 03:05.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2019, 05:44   #4  |  Link
voightkampfferror

I think in this case flattery is warranted, my knowledge in this forum is script kiddie level at best.
you've put me into a good position to do some major research and testing at this point so thank you!
voightkampfferror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2020, 10:49   #5  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Generally speaking the descrete graphicscard WILL VERY MUCH participate in the decode part. That's the whole point of Nvidia's NVDEC. If you were to use the latest BDRB with nvenc support, and you'll pull up windows task manager on the GPU part, you'll very clearly see a decoder and encoder section being used. Where's that used? Right on the GPU! So what were you saying again about the gpu not doing any decoding?

AV1 support also isn't a claim, it's a fact.

BTW Nice 1yr old thread necro
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote