Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 1st November 2009, 22:32   #1  |  Link
crl2007

Guide for adding a subtitle on a Blu-Ray Disc keeping the original menu

Guide for adding a subtitle on a Blu-Ray Disc keeping the original menu and its functions

Necessary software and codecs:

Codecs:

Before installing these codecs, uninstall all codecs that you may have installed on your computer.

ffdshow + haali

For Windows 7 users: Preferred Filter Tweaker for Windows 7 - it's free and straight forward

FOR HAALI: TAKE ONLY THE VERSION LISTED HERE.

Always take the latest version.

Software:

1. tsMuxer GUI - free
2. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum or PowerDVD 9 - not free
3. BDInfo - free
4. Bluray.bat - free It's a file that will make the BD structure compatible for creating the .iso file, so the file can be played with PowerDVD.
5. ImgBurn - free
6. Clown BD - free ( Only for BD's with video split across multiple *.m2ts files )
7. BDEdit - free

Let's begin. DON'T SKIP ANY STEP. READ CAREFULLY AND DON'T RUSH IT.

Choose a partition with at least 100 GB free. Create a folder called "Workspace". In this folder, create other two folders, called "Original" and "Remuxed". In the folder called "Original" copy the original disc, the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders. The "Remuxed" folder is for the results coming further below.

1. Open BDInfo and look for the folder containing the Bluray or, if it is a disc, the corresponding letter of the drive it's inserted in.

You can see which mpls in the PLAYLIST PLAYLIST contains the movie.

2. Open tsMuxer and press the ADD button, choosing that mpls file, in our case 00003.mpls.

Identify the subtitle you want to replace. Press the Remove button in order to delete it.

3. Add, again with the ADD button, the .srt file you have prepared on your hard drive.

With the UP button take it on to the 10th position, initially occupied by the subtitle deleted at the second step.

Select RON ( Romanian ) from the language menu. ( You can do it for your native language )

4. Now do the following settings:

GENERAL:

Blu-Ray:

Don't make any changes in the "Custom chapters list", as that information is taken directly from the mpls. At the "First MPLS file" choose 3, since we have 00003.mpls, the playlist containing the movie. If we had 00100.mpls containing the movie, we would have chosen 100. At "First M2TS file" choose 3, as well, following the same idea. Uncheck "Add blank playlist for cropped video" as it has no use. It's no problem should you forget it checked, it doesn't bother with anything.

Split & Cut:

Leave everything as it is.

Subtitles:

Press "Font" and choose the following settings: Press OK and you'll get the result in the screenshot above.

5. Select "Blu-ray disk" as Output and choose the folder where you want to have the remuxed version. That is X:\Workspace\Remuxed. X is the letter of the partition where you do the work.

6. Press "Start muxing" and wait. It should take a pretty long time, depending on your computer's preformance.

7. After tsMuxer finishes the work, stop it and open the "Remuxed" folder. Now, we will replace the files in the original folder with the modified ones. Before doing that, create a BACKUP folder, where you should save the files that you will replace in the Original folder. Go to the X:\Workspace\Remuxed\BDMV\STREAM folder and CUT the 00003.m2ts. Go to the X:\Workspace\Original\BDMV\STREAM folder and PASTE that file here. Press OK for replacing and wait for it to copy.

8. Go to X:\Workspace\Remuxed\BDMV\CLIPINF and CUT the 00003.clpi file. Go to X:\Workspace\Original\BDMV\CLIPINF and PASTE this file here. Press OK for replacement.

9. Open your "Original" folder in BDEdit. Go to PLAYLIST Tab and find the main movie mpls. After you find it, do the following:

If a Blu-Ray has 2 mpls for the main movie, do the same for both of them. For discs to work with TMT 5 you have to copy the IN_OUT Times and chapters from the mpls created with tsmuxer in the one you edit with BDEdit.

Additional information for the BDs with the movie split in several m2ts files: The same method applies for them as well. Write in tsMuxer the number of the playlist and, then, the number of the first m2ts contained. For these discs you will have to skip step 9 and copy the remuxed mpls in your "Original" folder. Go to X:\Workspace\Remuxed\BDMV\PLAYLIST and CUT the 00003.mpls file ( example ). Go to X:\Workspace\Original\BDMV\PLAYLIST and PASTE this file here. Press OK for replacement.

10. After finishing steps 1-9, copy the file bluray.bat in the folder "Original", next to BDMV and CERTIFICATE. Play it and wait to finish. After it's done its work (complete the disc files in order to have a proper iso file) delete it from the "Original" folder.

11. Open ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum and drag and drop the "Original" folder. TMT reads from folder, PowerDVD 9 does not, that is why you must use TMT in order to ensure that everything is functional: the menu, the chapters, the subtitle.

12. After you make sure everything is all right, open ImgBurn and follow these steps:

12a) Choose to make ISO from files and folders.

12b) From the folder "Original", drag and drop the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders and make the following settings in ImgBurn:

After the iso file is done, load it in Daemon Tools or in the Virtual Drive you prefer and test it once again with TMT and PowerDVD 9. Someone told me it also runs perfectly on PowerDVD 8. But keep the software up to date.

ATTENTION:

1. Some discs have 2 video tracks. Like this: One 1080p, which is the movie, and one 480p, which is a bonus, or part of an extra. Should this be the case, to succesfully insert the subtitle and for the movie to run, with the UP button, move the video track from the second position to the first position and it will run correctly. DO NOT DELETE THE 480p TRACK, ONLY MOVE IT ON THE SECOND POSITION.

2. Some discs have the video split across multiple *.m2ts files. This discs are containing the Rated and Unrated version, or some extra titles. When you come across one of them, DO NOT USE tsMuxer directly, because tsMuxer does not handle well seamless branched discs. First demux the streams with CLOWN BD ( it's a pretty intuitive program ) and then feed them into tsMuxer. You'll find the demuxed streams in "eac3to output" folder. For chapters, copy the text from chapters.txt that results after demuxing with CLOWN BD, only the time values. Like this: The rest remains exactly the same. Be sure to insert the streams in the correct order.

3. Sometimes, with discs that are having the video split across multiple *.m2ts, you will find out that some of your streams are duplicated after the remux. This is not a problem. Feed the *.mpls from the "Remuxed" folder in tsMuxer, remove the duplicated entries and start muxing again. The same settings as before apply here too. Just don't set the "Subtitles" tab again. It's redundant, as now the subtitles are already in the stream.

4. It's a problem on certain blu-ray discs. tsMuxer isn't reading correctly the playlist and the chapters get screwed up, as well as the end time of the movie. The fix for this is to open the original BD in BDEdit, go to Playlist TAB, choose the movie playlist and then click save chapters. This will save a list of chapters, the correct list and you paste it in tsmuxer, in Custom Chapters List.

ADDING SUBTITLE TO A SERIES BLU-RAY KEEPING THE ORIGINAL MENU

After prolonged tests, I've developed a method for series discs too.

Let's say that we have a series blu-ray disc with 3 episodes.

1. In the "Remuxed" folder we will make 3 new folders, "Episode 1", "Episode 2", "Episode 3".

2. We follow the 1-6 steps from the tutorial above. We will do these operations for all 3 episodes. In most cases, the structure is this: 1 big mpls that contains all 3 episodes and 1 or two mpls files for each individual episode. WE WILL NOT INSERT THE BIG MPLS IN TSMUXER. NEVER ! You will see with BDInfo which playlists are containig the individual episodes.

3. After tsMuxer finishes and we have all 3 episodes edited in our "Remuxed" folder, we will replace the m2ts + clpi files from the "Original" folder with the ones from "Episode 1", "Episode 2", "Episode 3" folders.

4. Open your "Original" folder in BDEdit and edit the IN time for the individual episodes playlist + the big mpls that contains all episodes. You can see these playlists number in BDInfo:

Edit the IN time as in the picture below for all of them ( individual episodes playlists and the big mpls containing all episodes )

Some discs will have in the big mpls some extra credits, like this:

They are depicted with blue. For those DO NOT edit the IN time. Edit the IN time only for the episodes.

The same method applies for discs containing both Theatrical and Extended versions. The same steps, only that you'll repeat them for 20+ m2ts files.

Enjoy and I'll wait for feedback from you. Should something not succeed from your first attempt, don't give up. The guide will be completed as new editing methods appear. In some cases, not all the extras can be kept. This method was made by me, after testing several BDs, with various structures. If you have something useful to add, feel free to do so. There are many variables to a blu-ray disc. Recently I've had one where I had to modify a *.xml file in order to run the movie to the end and select the correct playlist for all the regions. There are so many variables, that any input from you is extremely useful. Thank you very much.

Last edited by crl2007; 11th January 2011 at 21:04.
crl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 06:23   #2  |  Link
Mtz

Nice. After the DVD Guide (made by TheMatrix), now the Blu-Ray Guide made also in Romania.
Congratulations.

enjoy,
Mtz
Mtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:49   #3  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl2007 View Post
NOTA BENE: I also succesfully edited the menu.

PROOF:

I will not include that in the guide. For now, there isn't a unique method. When I'll find one method for all discs, I'll return with details.
It would've been really impressive if you really succeeded in editing the menu. Looking forward for more info about the subject.
Of course, we should be talking about editing m2ts menu files with IGS (not some JAVA referenced PNG/BMP images used in BD-J).

Last edited by deank; 2nd November 2009 at 11:52.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:22   #4  |  Link
crl2007

Menus with IGS are very rare these days. IGS was used in the past, now BD-J is used for almost all BD's. Those with IGS only have a Pop-Up menu. I see that this section of BD editing software is kind of dead, not even BDEdit is not updated anymore. And not all menus have referenced png/bmp, some of them, like the one in my example, has another way of editing it. One far more easy than anything. Others require editing the java code, etc. In this domain, only IGS menus are something that I can't do, and this because they are encrypted. When a suitable renderer will be available, those will be edited too. As for "It would've been really impressive if you really succeeded in editing the menu.", I think I already did that. A menu edited is a menu edited. So you can say that at DVD's the menu isn't really edited, just because you edit a bmp file. What would be really impressive is if someone could make an app like VobBlanker for BD's.

Last edited by crl2007; 2nd November 2009 at 14:26.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:32   #5  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

May be you're right about IGS... I don't have any Blu-ray titles nor I follow what are the latest implementations of menus. Since BD-J is not supported in AVCHD I gave up on java menus earlier this year and I was hoping you got that figured out somehow

IG streams are not encrypted - just RLE encoded like PGS. The problem is that there is no muxer to mux IGS with H264+AC3.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:54   #6  |  Link
crl2007

No, IGS are still a problem. I couldn't open them with anything known till today. RLE streams could be open somehow. That's why I concluded that they are encrypted somehow. The only BD with an IGS menu that I saw recently was a CEE one. And another problem, despite the non-existence of a muxer, is that there is no demuxer either. And the worst thig is that these menus are a PNG/BMP file encoded as *.m2ts. That's really an irony, not to be able to edit the most easy menus. I have an idea to modify this kind of menus, but it's too expensive. Considering that it's only a simple menu, a picture, you could re-author with Adobe Encore CS4. Keep the original movie and extras ( no re-encoding ), and do a menu yourself. It's a working method, but time consuming and expensive. Adobe Encore is not cheap. Now, IGS should be edited for PiP extra features on BD discs. Like Cine-Explore on the UP BD and the timeline feature on Public Enemies BD.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:06   #7  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

You can extract/demux IGS with tsRemux. The stream describes all buttons, HDMV navigational commands to be executed when buttons are activated/clicked, sounds, menu pages and in the end, RLE encoded representations of all button/popup graphics. There is no difference between menu IGS and pop-up IGS.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:14   #8  |  Link
crl2007

tsRemux always says "stream is not supported". That's why I said that there's no demuxer either. I've tried. This are the simplest menus and imposible to edit.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:16   #9  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

tsRemux - do not confuse it with tsMuxeR.

Anyway, menu discussion is off-topic, because you posted a guide for subtitles.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:23   #10  |  Link
crl2007

With the sources that I've tried, tsRemux said that they are unsupported. Maybe with some sources it works, but then it remains the muxer problem. Any way we take it, IGS works against us.

It's not so offtopic, maybe we can figure something out. You have an excellent application, but it doesn't keep the original menu, this way you can keep the original menu too. Maybe, in the future, if you will have the occasion and the software necessary, you could develop a muxer for these kind of files too and include it in multiavchd.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:32   #11  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

Yep, multiAVCHD is kind of an 'authoring' software. I believe jdobbs is much closer to implementing the feature you described in the guide, since BD-Rebuilder already handles stream changes/removal, while keeping the original menu/pip/popups...
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:55   #12  |  Link
crl2007

I received feedback from some of my BD discs testers and they said that after running it through BD Rebuilder it could be seen on standalone players. I received feedback from NMT owners too. If BD_Rebuilder could support insertion of an external subtitle stream and keep the IGS features in the process, with original menu, it would be trully awesome. Because the menu could be modified after that.

I think that, for the moment, the only viable method for that kind of IGS menus is the one with Encore CS4.

That's my end goal, to replace a subtitle stream, to modify the menu and keep the original movie, without re-encoding it. Point 1 and 3 are solved, 2 only 98% solved, and that because of IGS. Lucky for us that these BD's are very rare these days and BD-J is preferred.

Last edited by crl2007; 2nd November 2009 at 16:50.
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:07   #13  |  Link
deank
Programmer (or just 教务长)

The way I implemented it in multiAVCHD it may be possible to replace menu background (the static picture) with any background - just the way you mentioned DVD menus or replacing/editing images in BD-J.

I'll give it a try later and will post back... I didn't think of it until now (muxing h264 stream with an existing m2ts file)

Furthermore, it is possible to extract the MENU, export as BMP, edit and reimport in the menu m2ts.

On the other hand, it is possible to automate your GUIDE with a simple tool that will do everything that you described.

edit: btw, why do you need avisynth?

Last edited by deank; 2nd November 2009 at 16:11.
deank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:19   #14  |  Link
crl2007

If you export it as BMP, it will be excellent. Some menus have the highlights depending on java. This might be tricky.

Avisynth doesn't play any role in this guide, but it's good to be in everyone's PC. That's my opinion.

I'm glad that I gave you an idea. Maybe it could work.

And if you could create a tool to automate my guide, it woud also be AWESOME.

Last edited by crl2007; 2nd November 2009 at 21:05.
Old 9th December 2009, 06:30   #15  |  Link
pio011

@crl2007

Where are your screenshots?
It would be nice, if you could re-post the screenshots, because I am trying to use your guide. With screenshots it's much easier
pio011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 00:38   #16  |  Link
crl2007

For the time being the image host is down for maintenance. It will be up again in a few days. If not, I will find another host.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:36   #17  |  Link
pio011

I don't understand the steps 10-12. Why not check the disc with TMT from folders and burn the folders directly with imgburn without the steps 10-12??
Old 11th December 2009, 10:05   #18  |  Link
crl2007

At step 10, the bluray.bat file is a command line that will create various bd folders if they don't exist. It is possible that some folders are missing.

Steps 11-12 are describing the use of ImgBurn to make a compatible BD ISO.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:40   #19  |  Link
pio011

Quote:
Originally Posted by crl2007 View Post
There are some Blu-Ray Discs that have a popup menu directly linked to the video stream. They have only one m2ts file that contains the movie. In order to keep the menu functional, it is no longer necessary to rewrite the *.mpls and *.clpi files. Keep the original ones and rewrite only the *.m2ts containing the movie.[/b]
Well, I don't think that is true: I have replaced two streams (audio and subtitle) in the way your guide describes it. The whole Disc (menus, new streams etc.) works well, BUT: I cannot open the pop-up menu which shows up while the movie is running. But if I do not replace the original *.mpls and *.clpi files with the new ones (like you said in the quote), the movie won't play at all! That means: If I try to start the movie from the main menu, nothing happens. Do you know why?
Old 12th December 2009, 22:55   #20  |  Link
crl2007

I don't understand your question. That situation described by me is only for discs with IGS menus. This movies are having only that pop-up, they don't have a main menu, and if they have, they only start the mpls of the main movie, so this shouldn't be a problem. Everything I've stated in my guide are situations encountered by me, that's why I said at the end of the guide that if someone encounters another situation and finds a solution, should post the solution and I will include that situation in the guide. There are so many variables with bd discs, that you can't think of all of them untill you encounter one. You must be doing something wrong if the main menu doesn't play your mpls. You can try replacing only the mpls, leaving the clpi intact, or the other way around.