Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th January 2016, 21:48   #35621  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
Any ideas why present queue shows 2 as the max value, regardless of what is set in madVR's settings? Previously everything has worked fine. Sometimes the OSD shows the correct present queue number at first but quickly changes to 2 and is then stuck there.
Fullscreen or windowed? If fullscreen, you may have limited the pre-rendered frames to 3 or less in the GPU control panel.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2016, 22:02   #35622  |  Link
IceB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Well... download different older madVR builds, until you find two consecutive builds where build X works and build X+1 shows the problem.
Thank you @madshi, the issue is solved for me.
I have checked the previous build of madVR I had installed prior to the update - it was 0.80.20. So I have placed it back and rechecked. The issue still exists - queue drops to 0 after a couple minutes of playback.
In fact, as you have mentioned, I have updated my GPU AMD drivers about a month ago and probably have not noticed that the issue exists since the CRIMSON driver update. So I have disabled the crossfire and restarted the PC and rechecked the playback - no queue drops - everything is smooth. I have enabled the crossfire back - the queue drops again.
So I have uninstalled the crimson driver and cleaned the system from the AMD leftovers with the DDU. Then I have installed the latest crimson 16.1 hotfix drivers without the mew settings panel and the installed the CCC from the latest pre CRIMSON 15.1.1 AMD drivers. The disabled all the advanced video stuff in CCC as I did prior the CRIMSON update and rechecked the palyback with the Crossfire enabled. No queue drops - the render times are about 35 with Chroma Upscaling NNEDI3 128 with no glitches. The rendr back to normal.
So my conclusion is that the new AMD CRIMSON edition settings panel, which is lack of the advanced video settings is the source of the issue. It definitely related to the way it handles the crossfire.
This info might hopefully be helpful to anyone with the similar issues.

Cheers
IceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 00:34   #35623  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
Others don't crash and properly filled.
But madVR is the single one which can do smooth playback and excellent sync.
EVR is working more or less but there's a problem with video framerate when it's encoded with VC1.

Ok, thank you for the effort, it's really a problem but not a huge one.
There're not so many videos with height not dividable by 4.
"Real" BD's and remuxes go just fine.
Ok, here's the next try:

http://madshi.net/madVR93b.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-doer View Post
Um.. Not only is it working in 32 bit, its now working in 64 bit too. Unless Im somehow missing the magical feature that makes it crash. This is a real mystery now. Ill keep messing with settings and see if I can find what does it.
Maybe you had 3D enabled, when using an NVidia GPU? That sometimes produces crashes, when using D3D11 presentation.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 00:38   #35624  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceB View Post
Thank you @madshi, the issue is solved for me.
I have checked the previous build of madVR I had installed prior to the update - it was 0.80.20. So I have placed it back and rechecked. The issue still exists - queue drops to 0 after a couple minutes of playback.
In fact, as you have mentioned, I have updated my GPU AMD drivers about a month ago and probably have not noticed that the issue exists since the CRIMSON driver update. So I have disabled the crossfire and restarted the PC and rechecked the playback - no queue drops - everything is smooth. I have enabled the crossfire back - the queue drops again.
So I have uninstalled the crimson driver and cleaned the system from the AMD leftovers with the DDU. Then I have installed the latest crimson 16.1 hotfix drivers without the mew settings panel and the installed the CCC from the latest pre CRIMSON 15.1.1 AMD drivers. The disabled all the advanced video stuff in CCC as I did prior the CRIMSON update and rechecked the palyback with the Crossfire enabled. No queue drops - the render times are about 35 with Chroma Upscaling NNEDI3 128 with no glitches. The rendr back to normal.
So my conclusion is that the new AMD CRIMSON edition settings panel, which is lack of the advanced video settings is the source of the issue. It definitely related to the way it handles the crossfire.
This info might hopefully be helpful to anyone with the similar issues.

Cheers
Thanks, that gave me the idea to try the same thing to see if it could resolve the issues I have with Crimson, unfortunately it doesn't.

I installed the latest Crimson 16.1 and the latest pre-crimson catalyst CCC (which is 15.7, not 15.1.1 by the way).

1) The dynamic range option in the old CCC has no effect on Crimson (similar to RadeonMod), so it's still not possible to select RGB Full for MadVR and 16-235 for PDVD or other apps using the Windows renderer.

2) Crimson still crushes white in 3D above 230 with PDVD, so until LAV+MadVR are able to support 3D BDMV/SSIF I have to keep PDVD for 3D Blurays.

For anyone not using non-MadVR software it's a good way to get more control and the latest drivers.

Back to 14.12 as far as I'm concerned.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 00:52   #35625  |  Link
evil-doer

Quote:
Maybe you had 3D enabled, when using an NVidia GPU? That sometimes produces crashes, when using D3D11 presentation.
Ive never enabled 3D, and have an AMD 290x
evil-doer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 01:46   #35626  |  Link
SamuriHL

Definitely an interesting build. My observation is that it's better for MC21 but I have to do some weird stuff to get it to fully work.

With all the options checked in the 3D settings page for madvr....

Play a 3D MKV in MC21....plays in 2D but the OSD says it's D3D11 3D
Pause playback, minimize the player
Open up the OS display properties and head to advanced
You'll see 3D is enabled. Change NOTHING....just close it
Go back to MC21 and unpause....I now have 3D that works with or without the MC UI. Crazy!!

EDIT:

Ok, I did some different stuff and it seems I was wrong. Just pausing, taking it out of fullscreen, and bringing it back to fullscreen and unpausing is all that's needed. Sweet!

Last edited by SamuriHL; 25th January 2016 at 01:50.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 07:52   #35627  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Ok, here's the next try:

http://madshi.net/madVR93b.rar
This one is much more interesting.
It doesn't crash at all.
"Normal" videos play excellent.
"Problematic" videos play too. Video starts, stops, resizes without problems.
The only remaining problem is that there are two groups of greened-out lines:
- bottom group. It's constant and wouldn't be a problem if they were black, not green.
- a group on the video image. This group of lines is not constant, it appears on random position and at random time.
Have a look at the screenshot. Ignore the size, it's taken via RDP session, image on the TV is just the same.

Thank you.

Last edited by bbsc; 25th January 2016 at 08:43.
bbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 08:49   #35628  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Can you double check whether this is a new problem with v0.90.x or whether this also occurs with v0.89.19?
I have enabled debug with version madVR93b

link: madVR93b_Debug

Do I still have to test with <v0.90.x
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 09:35   #35629  |  Link
x7007

Whoever has windows 8.1 and windows 10 , do like that, it boosted my performance in Skyrim from 28 to 60+ . windows 8.1 and windows 10 are bugged with full of bad settings that worked in windows 7 just fine. In windows 7 I got 100+ fps in skyrim. even with LOW everything the FPS stayed 28 , no way it is possible with 970 GTX and 3770K 4.3 Ghz I will get this kind of fps. This setting from here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-...-speed-1516413 Fixed the issue. I will do it on my laptop 8.1 too and see how it improved things. it might fix stupid bugs in the media player that we use, because we use Exclusive mode and it's like gaming, should work the same. And don't forget to disable the Xbox DVR . from Start > Xbox DVR > Log in your account without password (you can skip the password) > Settings > Xbox DVR Recording .. > disable .
Should fix a lot of input lag and other things too.

Last edited by x7007; 25th January 2016 at 09:39.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 10:41   #35630  |  Link
4h4h270

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand: Does this frame drop problem only occur with 3D playback, or also with 2D playback?
The frame drop only occur with 3D playback, especially frame packed 3D.
4h4h270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2016, 17:39   #35631  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
This one is much more interesting.
It doesn't crash at all.
"Normal" videos play excellent.
"Problematic" videos play too. Video starts, stops, resizes without problems.
The only remaining problem is that there are two groups of greened-out lines:
- bottom group. It's constant and wouldn't be a problem if they were black, not green.
- a group on the video image. This group of lines is not constant, it appears on random position and at random time.
Have a look at the screenshot. Ignore the size, it's taken via RDP session, image on the TV is just the same.

Thank you.
Turns out it was my fault, after all. The decoder is quite buggy, but in this specific case it was a bug in madVR which only occurred if the decoder sent data in YUY2 format (4:2:2) with an unusual video height and when having DXVA processing (scaling, deinterlacing) active. Should be fixed in this build:

http://madshi.net/madVRbbsc2.rar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL_DK View Post
Do I still have to test with <v0.90.x
Yes, please. It's important to know if it's a new problem and which exact build introduced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4h4h270 View Post
The frame drop only occur with 3D playback, especially frame packed 3D.
Well, unfortunately I don't have any idea about that one. Nobody else has reported this specific problem yet. I would ask for a debug log, but if it only occurs after an hour of playback, by that time the debug log will probably have filled the rest of your harddisk free space, no matter how large it is...
Old 25th January 2016, 18:05   #35632  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
Yes, please. It's important to know if it's a new problem and which exact build introduced it.
I do it later tonight. DispcalGUI must be finished before I can do anything else.
Old 25th January 2016, 19:14   #35633  |  Link
bbsc

Quote:
Should be fixed in this build:

http://madshi.net/madVRbbsc2.rar
Excellent.
Now everything is working as it should to. Playback, resizing, everything...
You're the best

Thank you very much.
Now my old HTPC has a chance to live a couple of years longer.
bbsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 01:33   #35634  |  Link
scollaco

I'm having issues getting 3D to work. I'm a noob so maybe I missed something.

1) I have windows 10 and the latest 6th generation NUC with Intel Iris Pro 540 Graphics. (NUC6i5syk).
2) I installed madVR v.0.90.3 and the latest LAV filters fromt he nightly builds (0.67.0-65).

This is what I did:
1) I set the display control panel to have 3D "on".
2) In madVR I turned off "exclusive mode". I enabled "use Direct3D11 for presentation (is this correct?) and also check marked "present a frame for every VSync" (Is this a needed step too?)
3) I didn't touch any settings in madVr's stereo 3D area besides the default that si checked "enable stereo 3d playback"

When playing a 3d mkv made using makemkv, I see that LAV filters is using the "msdk mvc" decoder.

on playing a movie, the projector correctly switches resolution to 1920x2205 for framepacked 3D. However the image that shows up is frozen and the movie doesn't play any further. At that point I cannot exit out of my MPC-BE player and need to kill it using the task manager. I'm stuck because it looks like it all correctly switches to 3d and I have a proper 3d image on screen, but it is frozen and refuses to play the movie.

I also tried setting my scaling algorithms to the most basic but still same issue. Any advice what I'm doing wrong or what step I'm missing?
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 09:52   #35635  |  Link
Tarzan

Problem with autodetected black bars

Hi!

I'm trying to run a automatic CIH setup by cropping the bottom and top part om my ~2,37:1 screen, using only an active screen area of 1920x810, but I cant get it to work. By work I mean always setting the height of the active area of the image to 810 pixels, unless the AR is wider than 2,37:1 of course.

What i've done is:
Screen config:
Define visible screen are by cropping masked borders: 135 bottom and 135 top.
Zoom control:
[x] automatically detect hard coded black bars
[x] zoom small black bars away
[x] crop black bars

In mpc-hc the video frame is set to touch window from inside.

For now the only option that seem to do anything is "if there are big black bars ... zoom the bars away completely", but this option also crops bottom and top content from 16:9 content and doesn't respond to changes in AR in a movie at all. Am I missing something?

Other than not having to manually set the zoom for cinescope content within a 16:9 video I would be happy to be able to watch grand budapest hotel showing a minimum of black bars throughout the movie.

I'm using Windows 10, MPC-HC, Madvr v0.90.3 and a Sony vpl-hw20 (which doesn't have a lens memory function).
Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 10:45   #35636  |  Link
Clammerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
and doesn't respond to changes in AR in a movie at all.
Make sure you don't have the MPC option View->Video Frame->"Keep Aspect Ratio" enabled.
Clammerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2016, 11:03   #35637  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
I'm having issues getting 3D to work. I'm a noob so maybe I missed something.

1) I have windows 10 and the latest 6th generation NUC with Intel Iris Pro 540 Graphics. (NUC6i5syk).
2) I installed madVR v.0.90.3 and the latest LAV filters fromt he nightly builds (0.67.0-65).

This is what I did:
1) I set the display control panel to have 3D "on".
2) In madVR I turned off "exclusive mode". I enabled "use Direct3D11 for presentation (is this correct?) and also check marked "present a frame for every VSync" (Is this a needed step too?)
3) I didn't touch any settings in madVr's stereo 3D area besides the default that si checked "enable stereo 3d playback"

When playing a 3d mkv made using makemkv, I see that LAV filters is using the "msdk mvc" decoder.

on playing a movie, the projector correctly switches resolution to 1920x2205 for framepacked 3D. However the image that shows up is frozen and the movie doesn't play any further. At that point I cannot exit out of my MPC-BE player and need to kill it using the task manager. I'm stuck because it looks like it all correctly switches to 3d and I have a proper 3d image on screen, but it is frozen and refuses to play the movie.

I also tried setting my scaling algorithms to the most basic but still same issue. Any advice what I'm doing wrong or what step I'm missing?
Are you using x86 or x64 version of MPC-BE? If you're using x64, try x86 instead, just to double check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
I'm trying to run a automatic CIH setup by cropping the bottom and top part om my ~2,37:1 screen, using only an active screen area of 1920x810, but I cant get it to work. By work I mean always setting the height of the active area of the image to 810 pixels, unless the AR is wider than 2,37:1 of course.

What i've done is:
Screen config:
Define visible screen are by cropping masked borders: 135 bottom and 135 top.
Zoom control:
[x] automatically detect hard coded black bars
[x] zoom small black bars away
[x] crop black bars

In mpc-hc the video frame is set to touch window from inside.

For now the only option that seem to do anything is "if there are big black bars ... zoom the bars away completely", but this option also crops bottom and top content from 16:9 content and doesn't respond to changes in AR in a movie at all. Am I missing something?

Other than not having to manually set the zoom for cinescope content within a 16:9 video I would be happy to be able to watch grand budapest hotel showing a minimum of black bars throughout the movie.

I'm using Windows 10, MPC-HC, Madvr v0.90.3 and a Sony vpl-hw20 (which doesn't have a lens memory function).
Ok, let's analyse what's going on: Please create an empty file named "ShowBlackBars" in the madVR folder. If you do that, madVR will draw a green rectangle around the detected "active video area". Does this rectangle show the correct video area? If so, at least the black bar detection works correctly. If not, black bar detection itself fails for some reason. Are you using native DXVA decoding, maybe? Currently black bar detection doesn't work for native DXVA decoding. Any other mode should work, though.

One more thing to test would be to run natively encoded cinemascope, 16:9 and 4:3 movies (without any black bars inside of the encoded video area), just to check whether the video is zoomed correctly in your setup then?

FWIW, with Budapest Hotal don't always expect instant detection of new black bar configurations. Depending on the situation detection *can* be instant, but it can sometimes also take 10-15 seconds. Once one specific black bar configuration was detected, though, switching back to it again should be instant then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
Make sure you don't have the MPC option View->Video Frame->"Keep Aspect Ratio" enabled.
Hmmm... Doesn't that only affect AR and not the whole zoom? Not sure, though.
Old 26th January 2016, 12:12   #35638  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Whoever has windows 8.1 and windows 10 , do like that, it boosted my performance in Skyrim from 28 to 60+ . windows 8.1 and windows 10 are bugged with full of bad settings that worked in windows 7 just fine. In windows 7 I got 100+ fps in skyrim. even with LOW everything the FPS stayed 28 , no way it is possible with 970 GTX and 3770K 4.3 Ghz I will get this kind of fps. This setting from here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-...-speed-1516413 Fixed the issue. I will do it on my laptop 8.1 too and see how it improved things. it might fix stupid bugs in the media player that we use, because we use Exclusive mode and it's like gaming, should work the same.
I'll be curious whether win8.1 will be also fixed by this. It's an old trick (from WinXP age). Do you have SSD in both or just HDD?
I'm not sure whether I've applied this on my laptop that has SSD (win8.1) but I'll check it this evening and if not I'd definitely set this! Thanks for mentioning!
Old 26th January 2016, 12:24   #35639  |  Link
MSL_DK

Quote:
I do it later tonight. DispcalGUI must be finished before I can do anything else.
Okay ... I have tested with version 0.89.16 Same problem. Everything is updated to the latest version, Lav Filters, etc.
Old 26th January 2016, 12:28   #35640  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I get an error in the upper left corner that says something like: Could not read display mode. It only happens if I disable FSE. AMD control panel crashes and windows behave very strangely and I will have to restart.

Windows 10 x64
MPC-HC x86 latest
madVR x86 latest
AMD R9 270 with latest driver
Display 1920x1080 60Hz
Try installing a different GPU driver. It's probably a GPU driver bug. Or if you have a Crossfire setup, try disabling Crossfire.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling