Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 9th April 2017, 17:47   #25821  |  Link
mparade

@jdobbs

Maybe a bug?:

I have just finished testing a bit the Quick-play menu feature of BD-RB. After importing my complete Tom&Jerry Classic DVD Collection Volume 1. I just wanted to burn them (6xDVD5) directly to a BD-25 media. I have used my own menu page for this job. The bug I recognized described in steps as follows to be able to repeat:

- I played an item from the Quick-play menu;
- During play I changed audio from English to e.g. Hungarian and the subtitle language to e.g. Hungarian;
- After watching 3 items sequentially I entered the Quick-play menu to play an other item from the end;
- During watching that one I realized that both the audio and subtitle language had set back to English, however I finished playing the previous item with a Hungarian audio and subtitle language chosen;

It seems after entering the Quick-play menu both the audio and subtitle language tracks chosen set back to the defaults due to some unknown reason. If I play items sequentially without entering the menu, the tracks will not be set back.

It is not really convenient because each time I enter the menu (for the purpose of playing an other item among the 70-80pcs in this case) and play an other item I have to set back my preferred language manually using my remote controller both for the subtitle and the audio tracks which has already been done previously.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by mparade; 9th April 2017 at 17:56.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 19:02   #25822  |  Link
Denner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Your system probably isn't stable. I've seen this a hundred times with people trying other stress tests -- they are meaningless. The only real stress test is X264. Slow down your clock and see if it goes away.

It's also possible it could be an incompatibility with the version of X264 included with BD-RB that is used for X264/LAVF (it's different than the one used for other frame-serving types). Try using DirectshowSource.
Just tried a DirectshowSource encode, no problems at all, no x264 crashing, but problem is that both first and second pass are way slower than using x264 LAVF, is there any way of settin up BD-Rebuilder so that it can mach the encoding speed achieved by x264 LAVF ?

If not what is the fastest setting when not using x264 LAVF ?

Also tried replacing the x264L-64 with the x264 version RipBot is using and just renamed it to x264L-64, and encoding with that version of x264 using x264/LAVF as fremserver caused no crashing, ut it had a painfully slow first pass with around 40fps and with the original x264L-64 i get aroud 160fps in the first pass.....
Denner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 23:15   #25823  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denner View Post
Just tried a DirectshowSource encode, no problems at all, no x264 crashing, but problem is that both first and second pass are way slower than using x264 LAVF, is there any way of settin up BD-Rebuilder so that it can mach the encoding speed achieved by x264 LAVF ?

If not what is the fastest setting when not using x264 LAVF ?

Also tried replacing the x264L-64 with the x264 version RipBot is using and just renamed it to x264L-64, and encoding with that version of x264 using x264/LAVF as fremserver caused no crashing, ut it had a painfully slow first pass with around 40fps and with the original x264L-64 i get aroud 160fps in the first pass.....
That's the reason a different version is used. Something has changed in X264 that makes the use of LAVF extremely slow. So I used one of the old versions for X264/LAVF encoding. You could try other old version (look at the version of X264L-64 in BD-RB and work back from there).

My own tests of X264 don't show much difference between X264/LAVF and DirectshowSource -- but different processors can make a big difference.
Old 9th April 2017, 23:19   #25824  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
@jdobbs

Maybe a bug?:

I have just finished testing a bit the Quick-play menu feature of BD-RB. After importing my complete Tom&Jerry Classic DVD Collection Volume 1. I just wanted to burn them (6xDVD5) directly to a BD-25 media. I have used my own menu page for this job. The bug I recognized described in steps as follows to be able to repeat:

- I played an item from the Quick-play menu;
- During play I changed audio from English to e.g. Hungarian and the subtitle language to e.g. Hungarian;
- After watching 3 items sequentially I entered the Quick-play menu to play an other item from the end;
- During watching that one I realized that both the audio and subtitle language had set back to English, however I finished playing the previous item with a Hungarian audio and subtitle language chosen;

It seems after entering the Quick-play menu both the audio and subtitle language tracks chosen set back to the defaults due to some unknown reason. If I play items sequentially without entering the menu, the tracks will not be set back.

It is not really convenient because each time I enter the menu (for the purpose of playing an other item among the 70-80pcs in this case) and play an other item I have to set back my preferred language manually using my remote controller both for the subtitle and the audio tracks which has already been done previously.

Please help.

Thank you very much.
I'll have to look at it. But I'm guessing it's because the menu is using the default track and doesn't have other languages as an option.
Old 9th April 2017, 23:55   #25825  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I don't understand this request.
With BDRB, multiple menu items cannot be selected. If you click on one item and then do a ctrl-left-mouse click on another item, the first one is deselected. (Or shift-left-mouse click to select a range of items).

The selection of an item is to allow for editing of the text and potential moving of the item within the menu.

If multiple items are selected, just blank the area that is used for text editing until only a single item is selected. This will still allow for the move of the selected items to a new location in the menu.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 01:31   #25826  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Anybody else experiencing issues with e-mail delivery of notifications related to new posts? Until today I don't think I've gotten any in over a week at least -- even though there have been plenty of posts.
Yep, just realized the other day that I hadn't gotten any notifications from this thread in a LONG time (I'm a bit slow... ) so, I'm just NOW seeing your post about 3 weeks later
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 01:33   #25827  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
It's started to work again for me too. Just a temporary glitch, I guess.
It must be because of something with my personal system or setup, but like when I've used CC Cleaner before, I always have to come back and choose 'instant e'mail notifications' on the threads or I won't get notified. Perhaps whatever happened here had the same effect where in MY case it didn't come back on.
Old 10th April 2017, 01:44   #25828  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Hi, I have built a dedicated x264 encoding rig, it has a Ryzen 1700, 750gb SSD and 16gb ram, only thing on the machine is Windows 10 and BD-Rebuilder as it will only be used for blu-ray re-encoding.
System is stress tested and with Prime 95 ( 24 hour run ) and OCCT ( 12 hour run ) and is 100% stable when overclocked to 3800GHz and ofcause at stock speed of 3000GHz.

Problem is that I BD-Rebuilder keeps crashing or x264 does and I keep getting a pop up window with this message "x264.exe has stopped working...." , I have now tried installing RipBot to see if this crashes x264 too, but no problems there at all, RipBot have been running for 12 hours straight encoding a lot of blu-ray rips that crashes BD-Rebuilder without crashing, so I tried encoding with BD-Rebuilder again this morning and same problem is still there, I am at a loss, because I have the excact same setup on my "normal" pc except it is an intel processor and it never crashes, even on the same disk ?

Here is the log from BD-Rebuilder:

I am using x264's internal LAVF for frameserving and the only tweak I have enabled is tune film for BD-Rebuilders second pass, have tried with no tweaks enabled but it still crashes

Have anyone had the same prolem and what did you do to solve it ?
Hmmm, don't know if it's relevant, but I've not been able to use 'tunings' in BDRB or 'tune film' as a 'tweak' It didn't accept it. I just put in the cmd line codes separately.
Old 10th April 2017, 01:54   #25829  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
I've not been able to use 'tunings' in BDRB or 'tune film' as a 'tweak'
It's working fine on my system
Must be on your end, Lathe

Last edited by gonca; 10th April 2017 at 02:04.
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 06:36   #25830  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
It's working fine on my system
Must be on your end, Lathe
Gonca, if I've told you once, I've told you twice...

Don't talk about my END!

... and, if it's any of your business, the last time I checked it, there was nothing ON it!
Old 10th April 2017, 08:10   #25831  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
I'll have to look at it. But I'm guessing it's because the menu is using the default track and doesn't have other languages as an option.
OK. Thank you. Simpler said, I think the missing feature of the current Quick-Play Menu is that it should simply "recall" (because the problem only happens when entering the menu) the audio and subtitle language tracks that were set by the user last time manually on remote.

Maybe you should even consider adding hidden opts (to help for the Quick-Play Menu to choose the language required at first loading) like:

IMPORT_DEFAULT_SUB_LANG=s
IMPORT_DEFAULT_AUDIO_LANG=s

Your help is much appreciated.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 09:09   #25832  |  Link
Denner

Quote:
That's the reason a different version is used. Something has changed in X264 that makes the use of LAVF extremely slow. So I used one of the old versions for X264/LAVF encoding. You could try other old version (look at the version of X264L-64 in BD-RB and work back from there).

My own tests of X264 don't show much difference between X264/LAVF and DirectshowSource -- but different processors can make a big difference.
Cool and thanks, is there a place where I can download older versions of bd-rebuilder?
On ryzen 8 core cpu the difference is huge...

Noticed that when encoding with DirectshowSource x264 32bit version is used, is this normal or am i doing something wrong?

Last edited by Denner; 10th April 2017 at 09:11.
Old 10th April 2017, 10:52   #25833  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
the last time I checked it, there was nothing ON it!
How can you see all the way back there
Old 10th April 2017, 13:31   #25834  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Cool and thanks, is there a place where I can download older versions of bd-rebuilder?
On ryzen 8 core cpu the difference is huge...

Noticed that when encoding with DirectshowSource x264 32bit version is used, is this normal or am i doing something wrong?
You can't use the 64 bit version with 32 bit AVISYNTH. In my tests the difference in speed between the 32 and 64 bit versions is negligible.
Old 10th April 2017, 14:27   #25835  |  Link
Denner

Quote:
You can't use the 64 bit version with 32 bit AVISYNTH. In my tests the difference in speed between the 32 and 64 bit versions is negligible.
Cool, thanks, right now I am testing with the x264 64bit version from BD-RBV04414 and so far no problem /crashing with this version of x264, best thing is that I am getting 35fps on second pass using the Highest ( very slow) compared to 22fps ( second pass ) on the same settings encoder settings using directshow, so that is quiet a boost in encoding speed using x264 vs directshow

Thanks for the help so far
Old 15th April 2017, 00:32   #25836  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
Anybody else experiencing issues with e-mail delivery of notifications related to new posts? Until today I don't think I've gotten any in over a week at least -- even though there have been plenty of posts.
Yep. I've been occupied by other things and hadn't gotten a message in a bit. Recently I got 2 and there were more than 2 new replies.
Old 18th April 2017, 16:03   #25837  |  Link
Denner

A quick update, I found a version of x264, that seemes to be optimal for encoding with Ryzen 8 core cpu's, where I am hitting 40 to 60fps, slowest setting, on the second pass, depending on the encoding bitrate and it almost maxes out all 8 cores in both first and second pass... and most important no crashes....
If any one am having the same problems with Ryzen and bd-rb crashing I would be glad to help and share the x264 version I am using
Old 18th April 2017, 17:18   #25838  |  Link
Taurus

@ Denner:
Please share your insight.
I'm about to buy a Ryzen and everything cleared beforehand
is stopping me from wasting time on experiments.
Thank you.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 07:52   #25839  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
A quick update, I found a version of x264, that seemes to be optimal for encoding with Ryzen 8 core cpu's, where I am hitting 40 to 60fps, slowest setting, on the second pass, depending on the encoding bitrate and it almost maxes out all 8 cores in both first and second pass... and most important no crashes....
If any one am having the same problems with Ryzen and bd-rb crashing I would be glad to help and share the x264 version I am using
Wow, dude that REALLY is fast! Getting that speed using the ridiculously ultra-slow setting is bloody amazing! I just use the 'High' setting 2 Pass when I'm trying to be 'Mr. Anal' (so to speak, no cracks please...) and, granted, with a couple of x264 'tweaks' on the 2nd pass I MIGHT get like 5 or 6 fps, usually slower... I guess that's what 8 frigg'n smok'n cores will do for you
Old 19th April 2017, 10:49   #25840  |  Link
gonca

@Lathe
Quote:
Mr. Anal,... cracks
You are trying to make it easy