Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th October 2017, 10:49   #46641  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwalker View Post
Sorry but i try to put link on "image" options with no success!
it's better this way a link for an image is perfect.

try to change the nvidia power setting to adaptive. nvidia control panel - manage 3D settings and try adaptive.

you can also check in GPU-Z if the PCIe speed is at least x16 2.(the question mark on the graphic card page) thsi may help with DXVA copyback.

your GPU-z screens shoots show that your Vram usages is close to 2GB in window mode if you get high rendertiems in fullscreen you can try to reduce the render queue to 6 and if you have to even to 4.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:51   #46642  |  Link
Blackwalker

Quote:
According to your screenshots, the only way the decoder is fast enough is to use "DXVA native". Is playback not smooth that way, either? The madVR OSD (Ctrl+J) does seem to suggest that the queues are properly filled, so it should play smoothly?
it play better yes, but not so smoothly, maybe i have to ugrade cpu/motherboard and ram?

thx huhn:

Quote:
it's better this way a link for an image is perfect.

try to change the nvidia power setting to adaptive. nvidia control panel - manage 3D settings and try adaptive.

you can also check in GPU-Z if the PCIe speed is at least x16 2.(the question mark on the graphic card page) thsi may help with DXVA copyback.

your GPU-z screens shoots show that your Vram usages is close to 2GB in window mode if you get high rendertiems in fullscreen you can try to reduce the render queue to 6 and if you have to even to 4.
thx a lot for your answer
i'll do more test later !!
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:55   #46643  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

madshi's posts have become so long, they need titles, abstracts, results and acknowledgements...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:57   #46644  |  Link
Werewolfy

5) I'd like to add to my previous post that I was a little too much harsh with this new option. With low strengths it doesn't make sense to use it because it just misses some compression artifacts but with higher strengths it can be useful because it does help to retain some texture details that are otherwise blurred.

I'd suggest if you really want to remove the choice for this option to create low strength presets without it and high strength presets with it. If you think it's a good idea, let me know and I will do more.

Edit : your reply was not available when I began to post my reply. So I will do more tests based on that.

Last edited by Werewolfy; 17th October 2017 at 11:01.
Werewolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 11:01   #46645  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Actually, #12-13 now contain information for MPC-HC, which is useful! Still no information for LAV yet, though. Maybe you can make that work somehow, too?
Well, all I did was use the 32bit version...

Well, the last thing I can think of is to use external LAV. I managed to produce two hangs (#14-15), which I added, but it was much harder now.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 12:09   #46646  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
First you seem to love the "don't reduce texture detail" option, then you say "switch away IMO". That seems to contradict each other?
You said you were looking to remove the standard RCA version, so hence this is switching to the "not reduced texture detail" option as the default.

Quote:
Ok, so it's probably unlikely that whole videos are as blocky as that. So maybe RCA 11 + 12 will only be useful for VapourSynth/AviSynth guys to "fix" just a couple of frames.

Using those strengths is more destructive than anything, trying to remove all block shapes when your entire frame is comprised of blocks I think is a bit foolish.

Last edited by ryrynz; 17th October 2017 at 12:12.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 12:47   #46647  |  Link
omw2h

Quote:
AdaptiveSharpen:
Just to be sure there are no misunderstandings: "the old" on is the one from v0.92.5+6, and "the previous one" is the one from v0.92.4? How much better do you still like the v0.92.4 version than the v0.92.7 version?
Sorry, i did not catch the ambiguity. Just compared v0.92.7 to v0.92.4, old and previous are the same AS in v0.92.4 .
I find the new AS clearly better for movies and videos but worse for anime content of various quality. For that i wish the previous AS finds its way back. So how much better depends on the contenet.
omw2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 12:48   #46648  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Hi!

I'm having some serious horizontal tearing on the top of the screen (tv) but only if I choose a refresh rate over 60hz (72hz for example) is there any way to fix this? I have aero enabled (windows 7), maybe is my tv the one causing the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 16:05   #46649  |  Link
gyulaipal

possible filename token for signalling HDR material

Hello,

can MadVR be "forced" into thinking that a video is HDR (and apply the transfer function conversion accordingly)?

Maybe there is an (undocumented?) filename token, similarly as we can put the "primaries" and "matrix" tokens in the name to signal the BT2020 color space? These work nicely!

I have to route the video image through avisynth(plus) before I can project it on the screen. This is nicely working for SDR/Rec.709 but not for HDR.

Also, I am afraid avisynth(plus) can NOT pass the HDR MetaData to MadVR, so, detecting HDR based on MetaData seems to be impossible.

If there would be a way to "switch on" HDR->SDR conversion, it would save my life (I mean my projector's life :-)

Any help will be appreciated!
gyulaipal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 17:00   #46650  |  Link
xabregas

You know what would be great? For Madvr to support audio rendering and some enthusiast start developing it by making it optimized for all the different audios out there. Im frustrated by having to change audio decoders and settings because the different audios are becoming worst every day.
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 18:49   #46651  |  Link
darkrenata

Does madVR not use the normal 3DLUT calibrations when HDR video is playing? It looks like they have no affect? I was trying to get a LUT to calibrate just BT2020, since I have a JVC projector. I tried HDR 3DLUT, but that seemed to completely changed my custom gamma curve.
darkrenata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 19:21   #46652  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwalker View Post
it play better yes, but not so smoothly, maybe i have to ugrade cpu/motherboard and ram?
Please switch to fullscreen mode (ideally even fullscreen exclusive mode), turn the OSD (Ctrl+J) on, and then check during playback if the queues stay full all the time during playback, and whether the "dropped frames", "delayed frames" and "presentation glitches" counter keep increasing during playback. Or do they stay contant, once playback has been running for a couple of seconds?

FWIW, your display is running at 60.000Hz, while your movie has a framerate of 23.976fps. This can't be totally smooth. Maybe that's already what you're seeing? Try turning on "smooth motion" in madVR, does that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
5) I'd like to add to my previous post that I was a little too much harsh with this new option. With low strengths it doesn't make sense to use it because it just misses some compression artifacts but with higher strengths it can be useful because it does help to retain some texture details that are otherwise blurred.

I'd suggest if you really want to remove the choice for this option to create low strength presets without it and high strength presets with it. If you think it's a good idea, let me know and I will do more.
Well, seems you had the same thought as I had. Now the big question is if the expert users in this forum can agree on the best setting for each strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Well, all I did was use the 32bit version...

Well, the last thing I can think of is to use external LAV. I managed to produce two hangs (#14-15), which I added, but it was much harder now.
Thanks, now I get information for both MPC-HC and LAV, too! But only #15 is useful, #14 is not for some reason. Maybe you could add 2 more? According to the freeze report, the MPC-HC version you're using is "1.7.13.0", and LAV is "0.70.2.1". I'm not completely sure right now if this is the complete version information? Do MPC-HC or LAV show more complex/complete version information somewhere? I'll have to look into MPC-HC and LAV source code to fully understand what they were doing at the time of the freeze.

FWIW, I can't promise that any of this will help, but at least I'm going to try to figure out what's going on. Maybe I'll be able to, maybe not. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
You said you were looking to remove the standard RCA version, so hence this is switching to the "not reduced texture detail" option as the default.
Ah, I understand now. Have you seen Neo-XP's and ABDO's posts, though? They don't seem to like the new option. So I'm not really sure what to do now.

Maybe the three of you and Werewolfy and everyone else (thank you guys) can find a way to agree on whether the "don't reduce texture detail" option should be enabled or disabled for every specific strength setting? As a reminder, the option will *definitely* go away. But I'm willing to make this option on/off for any specific strength setting, if you guys can agree on that somehow. I'll not work on different quality levels or adding finer strength steps before this is sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Using those strengths is more destructive than anything, trying to remove all block shapes when your entire frame is comprised of blocks I think is a bit foolish.
To each their own. With extremely blocked images like that, I prefer smoothing over blocky, but I'll keep that decision in the hands of Vapour/AviSynth guys. I want to give them at least the option to go crazy on deblocking settings, if they feel the need to do so for a couple extra bad frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw2h View Post
Sorry, i did not catch the ambiguity. Just compared v0.92.7 to v0.92.4, old and previous are the same AS in v0.92.4 .
I find the new AS clearly better for movies and videos but worse for anime content of various quality. For that i wish the previous AS finds its way back. So how much better depends on the contenet.
Have you tried "linear light" on vs off for the new AS? I think with "linear light" off it's not so much different to the previous AS for Anime content? If you don't like the slightly stronger grain sharpening, you could add "reduce compression artifacts" strength 2, which would probably clean up the grain in Anime content? Please understand that I don't want a million different algorithm variants. That would only confuse the normal user. Furthermore, maintaining a lot of different algorithm versions is extra work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
I'm having some serious horizontal tearing on the top of the screen (tv) but only if I choose a refresh rate over 60hz (72hz for example) is there any way to fix this? I have aero enabled (windows 7), maybe is my tv the one causing the problem?
Could be the GPU or the TV, it's hard to say. Have you tried FSE mode? If the tearing also occurs in FSE mode, even after a reboot, that would point to the TV being at fault, but it's still no definite proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyulaipal View Post
can MadVR be "forced" into thinking that a video is HDR (and apply the transfer function conversion accordingly)?
Not at the moment, unfortunately.

I have to route the video image through avisynth(plus) before I can project it on the screen. This is nicely working for SDR/Rec.709 but not for HDR.

Quote:
Also, I am afraid avisynth(plus) can NOT pass the HDR MetaData to MadVR, so, detecting HDR based on MetaData seems to be impossible.
I believe FFMS2000 is able to transport HDR metadata, but of course ffdshow raw doesn't support it.

Quote:
If there would be a way to "switch on" HDR->SDR conversion, it would save my life (I mean my projector's life :-)
I guess adding that wouldn't be too hard. I'll see what I can do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
You know what would be great? For Madvr to support audio rendering and some enthusiast start developing it by making it optimized for all the different audios out there. Im frustrated by having to change audio decoders and settings because the different audios are becoming worst every day.
Almost wanted to say "never going to happen", but you know, never say never. But still, it seems very unlikely right now that I would ever do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrenata View Post
Does madVR not use the normal 3DLUT calibrations when HDR video is playing? It looks like they have no affect? I was trying to get a LUT to calibrate just BT2020, since I have a JVC projector. I tried HDR 3DLUT, but that seemed to completely changed my custom gamma curve.
Depends on the HDR mode you've chosen. I don't have enough information to answer your question. Which setting have you chosen in the madVR "hdr" tab, with which sub-settings? If you have chosen "let madVR decide", does madVR actually switch your JVC into HDR mode, and is that what you want?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 19:26   #46653  |  Link
Outcasst

Is there a disadvantage to not using MadVR filters with 1:1 Ripped UHD content?

Would I really see much of a difference on already top quality content? At the moment I only use MadVR to pass through HDR.
Outcasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 19:30   #46654  |  Link
ABDO

Quote:
reduce compression artifacts:

so we need to come to a decision whether to have "don't reduce texture detail" enabled or disabled. *however*, i'm willing to compromise by turning "don't reduce texture detail" on or off, depending on the selected strength. So e.g. We could have it off for strength 1-3, and have it on for strengths 4-12, or something like that.

What do you guys think?
its difficult choice,for Anime content, some times i forcd to use RCA*7 or *10 to clean the image, while "don't reduce texture detail" left little artifacts, and adding some RRN to fix it cost extra gpu power, and blur the image slightly, i really do not know, but i think get rid of "don't reduce texture detail" will be good for me, thanks for your effort @madshi.

Last edited by ABDO; 17th October 2017 at 20:07.
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 19:39   #46655  |  Link
Razoola

NVIDIA 387.92 DRIVER WARNING

This has been touched apon already in this thread but the situation is a little worse than suggested. The problem is really quite simple, when playing HDR content the driver acts as expected and BT2020 is passed over HDMI. On stopping the playback of HDR the driver does not return to the standard RGB color space. This has happened to me twice with a GTX 980 card on windows 7 x64 and the 2nd time I looked at it more.

Once this situation has happened there is _NO WAY_ to turn off BT2020 going over the used HDMI port at the refresh rate used while HDR was playing. This means for example if you were playing HDR content at 23Hz or 24Hz, the only way to turn BT2020 off (after playback has stopped) is to change to a different refresh rate (25Hz, 50Hz, 60hz, etc).

Great you think a workaround.... Well no.... As soon as you go back to a 23Hz/24Hz refresh rate BT2020 is once again again passed over HDMI even if its not HDR.

The result is any future non HDR content played via madVR (or other) will have a picture that looks over saturated.

During testing I have found the following actions will not fix the situation.

- System reboot or cold boot.
- Disabling and re enabling the display.
- Unplugging and re plugging in the HDMI lead (with cold boot between).

The following will fix the situation.

- Plugging a different panel to the offending HDMI port and setting it to the offending refresh rate. Then reverting to the previous panel.
- Going back to 382.33 drivers. This worked for me though I did not try any other drivers.

I hope this info is helpfull to anyone thinking their picture is looking somehow weird. It took me a good few hours to work out this was the issue. I was getting quite worried that I had a fault on my AVR or OLED.

Last edited by Razoola; 17th October 2017 at 20:11.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 19:51   #46656  |  Link
j82k

Great I just installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and of course it included the broken nvidia driver 387.92.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 20:09   #46657  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
Great I just installed the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and of course it included the broken nvidia driver 387.92.
I think in win 10 there is a HDR option in the OS. You might be able to use that as a workaround fix although I have no way to confirm if thats the case.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 20:14   #46658  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Thank you so much for your reply madshi, I think too it's the tv fault.

Great work as always with the new version and the new denoise filters, maybe I will try to compare them with the one in ffdshow to see if is the time to say goodbye to ffdshow.
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 20:20   #46659  |  Link
ABDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
Thank you so much for your reply madshi, I think too it's the tv fault.

Great work as always with the new version and the new denoise filters, maybe I will try to compare them with the one in ffdshow to see if is the time to say goodbye to ffdshow.
yes .. you will say goodbye to ffdshow
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 21:41   #46660  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Thanks, now I get information for both MPC-HC and LAV, too! But only #15 is useful, #14 is not for some reason. Maybe you could add 2 more? According to the freeze report, the MPC-HC version you're using is "1.7.13.0", and LAV is "0.70.2.1". I'm not completely sure right now if this is the complete version information? Do MPC-HC or LAV show more complex/complete version information somewhere? I'll have to look into MPC-HC and LAV source code to fully understand what they were doing at the time of the freeze.

FWIW, I can't promise that any of this will help, but at least I'm going to try to figure out what's going on. Maybe I'll be able to, maybe not. Fingers crossed!
Excruciatingly I could make three. #16-19 (17 and 18 are from the same hang but the latter is after the alert sound, when unusually the player was still hung)

I think MPC-HC has some anti-hang mechanism that activates when I hear the windows alert sound, which usually resolves the hang. Not always. Especially when I try to interact with the GUI it doesn't activate, but then I can't make a freeze report with madVR either.

As for the version information I don't know, I don't use mpc normally. LAV it seems displays less detailed information (0.70.2) in its settings windows.

Whether it turns out to be fruitful or not thanks for the effort! I've been complaining to the Potplayer/ProgDVB devs about the hangs (maybe even in the LAV thread) but none of them were willing to investigate.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling