Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th May 2018, 11:11   #50621  |  Link
huhn

the difference is a VP9 profile 2 decoder.

3 GB will work for sure if NGU is not used. it should work with NGU and well you may need tweaking.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 11:39   #50622  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Whilst not strictly related to MadVR, one last thing to share for those with a Samsung SUHD set with MadVR - set your display to Games Console and set picture mode to Game for SDR and HDR material (Colour Space set to Native for SDR and Auto for HDR) - this disables virtually all image destroying features, leaving you to enjoy MadVR in all it's glory.
Old 4th May 2018, 11:41   #50623  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That rule pretty much applies to most TVs - in Game Mode or PC Mode, you basically get a "dumb" screen that just displays what its given.
Old 4th May 2018, 12:05   #50624  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Hmm, my present queue isn't filling up anymore, it stays at 0-2/15 and I'm dropping frames all over the place. I probably should have noticed this before but I haven't watched a lot of videos using MPC-HC in the past few days. I just went back to the previous GeForce drivers (391.35) so I think it must be the Windows 10 April 2018 update causing it. FSE freezes for me, too. Is this what others have been seeing? I don't have the game bar or any other overlays enabled.

Edit: Going to try the hotfix driver (397.55), saw some people reporting it fixes FSE mode.

Edit2: FSE mode seems to be working (and queues fill up in FSE mode), though there's a big delay so I'm wondering if I just didn't wait long enough before. Windowed mode is still busted. I noticed that FSE mode also switches my display mode back from 60Hz to 59.95Hz, annoyingly.

Edit3: Okay, I got it to use 60Hz by explicitly adding 2560x1440p60 to the list of modes it's allowed to switch to.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 4th May 2018 at 12:40.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 12:06   #50625  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That rule pretty much applies to most TVs - in Game Mode or PC Mode, you basically get a "dumb" screen that just displays what its given.
Yeah, that's what I thought, but with the Samsung SUHD's, PC mode activates crap that Games Console set at Game Mode deactivates.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 4th May 2018 at 12:23.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 12:24   #50626  |  Link
huhn

only Pc modes stops downsampling on Samsung screens and it is often only available at 30 and 60 hz.

so GL with gaming mode and full glory madVR on Samsung screens.

if chroma subsampling is not image destroying feature than what is one?
Old 4th May 2018, 12:49   #50627  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
only Pc modes stops downsampling on Samsung screens and it is often only available at 30 and 60 hz.

so GL with gaming mode and full glory madVR on Samsung screens.

if chroma subsampling is not image destroying feature than what is one?
I don't do gaming, so my rig is exclusively set as a HTPC, and 99.999% of all content I watch is 23.976.

Anyway, sorry for being off topic, was only sharing my findings that may help other Samsung SUHD owners who use MadVR.

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 4th May 2018 at 13:07.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 13:54   #50628  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Whilst not strictly related to MadVR, one last thing to share for those with a Samsung SUHD set with MadVR - set your display to Games Console and set picture mode to Game for SDR and HDR material (Colour Space set to Native for SDR and Auto for HDR) - this disables virtually all image destroying features, leaving you to enjoy MadVR in all it's glory.
What about the LG OLED TV's ? B6 , C6

for HDR you need to choose Game Console/HDMI instead PC Input , And choose HDR Standard Picture mode

what is GL ?
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 14:24   #50629  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Is there any hard data for suggesting a 4GB card over a 3GB one for 4K?
Yes. I and others have reported that 4k uses about 3.5 GB.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 14:28   #50630  |  Link
huhn

it is possible to make 3 GB work(i can even make 2GB work) but i stay at my Vram statement get a 4 Gb card for UHD.
Old 4th May 2018, 14:55   #50631  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
What about the LG OLED TV's ? B6 , C6

for HDR you need to choose Game Console/HDMI instead PC Input , And choose HDR Standard Picture mode

what is GL ?
Sorry I don't have an LG.

I have no idea what GL means.
Old 4th May 2018, 15:20   #50632  |  Link
huhn

GL=good luck
Old 4th May 2018, 16:06   #50633  |  Link
x7007

So which mode should I use ?

Windows HDR Enabled + Madvr 10bit + HDR Passthrough + TV GameConsole/HDMI Input + Full Windowed or FSE ?

Windows HDR Disable + " + " " + " " + Full Windowed or FSE ?

Because Windows HDR gives 8 bit + Dithering in Windowed and maybe FSE I think, and MadVR gives 8 bit when Full Windowed mode.

So which is the best choice ?

Would I notice any quality differences between 8bit Windows HDR and Madvr 8 bit Nvidia ? and also differences in MadvR 10 bit FSE ?
Old 4th May 2018, 16:30   #50634  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

Windows HDR Enabled + Madvr 10bit + HDR Passthrough + TV GameConsole/HDMI Input + Full Windowed or FSE ?

Because Windows HDR gives 8 bit + Dithering in Windowed and maybe FSE I think, and MadVR gives 8 bit when Full Windowed mode.

Would I notice any quality differences between 8bit Windows HDR and Madvr 8 bit Nvidia ? and also differences in MadvR 10 bit FSE ?
It is unknown what Windows does to the image, but the images should be identical between the two.

The best set up is to use the Nvidia private API (passthrough - send metadata), so you don't have to toggle HDR on and off. This is clearly most convenient.

To get 10-bit passthrough, you must enable fullscreen exclusive mode until there is a fix a the driver level for banding with 10-bit HDR passthrough when set to windowed mode. SDR playback is unaffected by this bug.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 16:31   #50635  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:

Windows HDR Disable + " + " " + " " + FSE

Edit - looks like Warner306 and I commented at the same time
Old 4th May 2018, 16:36   #50636  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It is unknown what Windows does to the image, but the images should be identical between the two.

The best set up is to use the Nvidia private API (passthrough - send metadata), so you don't have to toggle HDR on and off. This is clearly most convenient.

To get 10-bit passthrough, you must enable fullscreen exclusive mode until there is a fix a the driver level for banding with 10-bit HDR passthrough when set to windowed mode. SDR playback is unaffected by this bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Windows HDR Disable + " + " " + " " + FSE

Edit - looks like Warner306 and I commented at the same time

Ok thanks . FSE is so annoying, takes ages until the images start to play when going in FSE. out is ok
Old 4th May 2018, 17:54   #50637  |  Link
truexfan81

whats going on here?

evga 1050ti fw latest nvidia driver, windows 10 1803 madvr 0.92.10
any idea whats going on here?

thanks
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 17:55   #50638  |  Link
Asmodian

Try small buffers, I like 6 for GPU buffers and 4 fames presented in advance. I have noticed that smaller buffers perform better than giant ones.

Also, it looks like you are not using the default flush and wait options? Put those back to the defaults.

Quote:
FSE is so annoying, takes ages until the images start to play when going in FSE.
Can you actually see any difference with 10 bit compared to 8 bit? I simply use 8 bit all the time, 10 bit is very unimportant for madVR's video out. Dithering FTW.

Last edited by Asmodian; 4th May 2018 at 17:59.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:04   #50639  |  Link
truexfan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Try small buffers, I like 6 for GPU buffers and 4 fames presented in advance. I have noticed that smaller buffers perform better than giant ones.

Also, it looks like you are not using the default flush and wait options? Put those back to the defaults.

Can you actually see any difference with 10 bit compared to 8 bit? I simply use 8 bit all the time, 10 bit is very unimportant for madVR's video out. Dithering FTW.
edit: I got it, had to add another profile for my image enhancements to turn them off for 50/60fps videos.

Last edited by truexfan81; 4th May 2018 at 18:24.
truexfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2018, 18:31   #50640  |  Link
Asmodian

The reason this wasn't immediately obvious when looking at the OSD was because you turned off all the "wait" options in the "when and how shall the GPU be flushed:" section of windowed mode, "after the last render step" should be one of the wait options so madVR can report rendering times.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling