Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th September 2013, 15:55   #20081  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
im occasionally hearing of problems of stuttering from people when madvr switches their display to 23.976hz.
I'm not sure, but I think I have the same problem, not often, though. Stuttering is gone after switching to exclusive mode and go back to windowed...
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 22:11   #20082  |  Link
mastrboy

Have a question about usage/scaling:
If I set the following settings in Madvr, switch to mathing display mode - when media player goes fullscreen, restore original mode - when media player leaves fullscreen, and the list of display modes to 720p60,1080p60 only.
Will madvr then play back 720p content at 720p resolution and 1080p content at 1080p resolution, while still upscaling everything below 720p to 720p?
Old 19th September 2013, 07:17   #20083  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi folks, dont know if this is correct thread, but:
a. How much does a 65x3 3D LUT takes approximately in Gb? How much takes 256x3 3D LUT in storage capacity?
b. Does 3D LUT processing using madVR take significant CPU % when imported into madVR? Does it utilise significantly more CPU or the GPU?

thanks
Pluto

Last edited by Plutotype; 19th September 2013 at 07:26.
Plutotype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 07:27   #20084  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
a. How much does a 65x3 3D LUT takes approximately in Gb? How much takes 256x3 3D LUT in storage capacity?
b. Does 3D LUT processing take significant CPU % when imported into madVR? Does it utilise significantly more CPU or the GPU?
a. My 3DLUTs are all at 96MB. I'm not sure how measurement data is stored/compressed and/or padded in the 3DLUT therefore I cannot claim that the size is fixed.

b. GPU consumption
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 08:02   #20085  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutotype View Post
The default 8-bit LUT (256x3) is 96MB.
A 6-bit LUT (64x3) would be only 1.5MB

And for good measure, a 10-bit LUT (1024x3) would be 6GB.

They are not compressed.
Old 19th September 2013, 10:01   #20086  |  Link
e-t172

…and to make things perfectly clear, the way you calculate this for an N-D LUT is:

Code:
((size)^N)*N*(output bit depth) = (size in bits)
A full (256x256x256) madVR 3DLUT has a 8-bit input bit depth and a 16-bit output bit depth, so the size is (256^3)*3*16 = 96 MB.

Last edited by e-t172; 19th September 2013 at 10:04.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 23:36   #20087  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post
how in the world do I use pixel shaders with MadVR in KMPlayer?

It's a lot easier in PotP, put them all in its /PxShader/ subdirectory, et voilą:
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 19:37   #20088  |  Link
phneutral

Nvidia vs AMD Radeon

Hi there,

At the moment I have an AMD Radeon HD 5500 videocard in my i7 pc, and no matter what settings/codec packs/combinations I use, I keep getting judder with panning scenes. Except when I use the smooth video project codec pack, but then playback really looks as smooth as a home video. Not really appealing.

Are there any other options to get less judder? I can't seem to set my Samsung Syncmaster LCD Monitor to 24hz either. Would that be a limit of my videocard/drivers? I haven't tried something like "Powerstrip" yet, to add resolutions with custom Hz.

And do you guys think there's any difference between Nvidia and AMD in general? How they/their drivers handle the Hz/fps issue? Then maybe I'd consider buying a reasonable priced Nvidia card.

Hope someone can give me some options to try.

Kind regards,
Dennis
phneutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 22:02   #20089  |  Link
mindbomb

the easiest thing to do is to enable smooth motion in the madvr settings.
if you are not satisfied, set a custom resolution with Custom Resolution Utility, http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU, with a 72hz refresh rate and use reclock as your audio renderer.

Last edited by mindbomb; 20th September 2013 at 22:04.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 00:44   #20090  |  Link
phneutral

Quote:
the easiest thing to do is to enable smooth motion in the madvr settings.
if you are not satisfied, set a custom resolution with Custom Resolution Utility, http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU, with a 72hz refresh rate and use reclock as your audio renderer.
Thanks for your reply Mindbomb!

I tried smooth motion. Unfortunately, it gives more of a slight constant "vibration" in the video's.
Coincidently I stumbled upon the Custom resolution Utility, and tried to manually add 72 Hz, or 71.928, with the values: 1920, Front porch: 30, Sync width: 40, Back porch: 45 and 1080, Front porch: 3 lines, Synch width: 4 lines, Back porch: 5 lines.

Then when I switch to this new resolution, my desktop is moved to the left, and stretched weird. Text is readable, but a little bit unsharp... Am I doing something wrong with the Utility?

My screen shoud support up to 75, but don't know if it can handle 72 then?
Old 21st September 2013, 03:24   #20091  |  Link
mindbomb

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1670817

try those settings except use a 72hz refresh rate.
Old 21st September 2013, 12:40   #20092  |  Link
phneutral

Quote:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1670817

try those settings except use a 72hz refresh rate.
I tried that, but then desktop still doesn't seem to fit anymore on my screen. Also, everything seems a little unsharp. Adjusting it with my LCD Monitor doesn't really seem to work, I don't seem to have the options on my monitor to reduce the size of the viewarea. It seems to handle it automatically.

Also, with these settings, moving windows around, seems to go with judder now, haha. Any other idea's?
Old 21st September 2013, 16:55   #20093  |  Link
burfadel

I have my main screen at 75 Hz, seems the smooth motion doesn't work properly at this rate. It does work at 60 Hz though (and on a connected TV), but it would be nice if it would function at 75 Hz.

Another major point about smooth motion, shouldn't this be available as an option for different screens? That is, if you have a couple of different screens available, some people may want it turned on if playing on one screen, but turned off if playing on another. At the moment the setting is universal and requires toggling.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 18:03   #20094  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by phneutral View Post
I tried that, but then desktop still doesn't seem to fit anymore on my screen. Also, everything seems a little unsharp.
i guess your monitor can't do refresh rate changes. go back to 60hz and use smooth motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
Another major point about smooth motion, shouldn't this be available as an option for different screens? That is, if you have a couple of different screens available, some people may want it turned on if playing on one screen, but turned off if playing on another. At the moment the setting is universal and requires toggling.
i don't see why. if you select the "only if there is judder" smooth motion option, then it wouldn't turn on if the other screens are running a refresh rate with no judder.

Last edited by mindbomb; 21st September 2013 at 18:08.
Old 21st September 2013, 23:47   #20095  |  Link
phneutral

Quote:
i guess your monitor can't do refresh rate changes. go back to 60hz and use smooth motion.
Gives a weird vibration to the video's..
Old 22nd September 2013, 03:56   #20096  |  Link
burfadel

Well, even if smooth motion isn't added as screen independent, the fact is it doesn't like 75 Hz on my main monitor .
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:27   #20097  |  Link
GCRaistlin

What should I write to "list all display modes madVR may switch to" field if I have a generic 17" LCD monitor that supports 60, 70, 72, 75 Hz frequencies?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:13   #20098  |  Link
michkrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
What should I write to "list all display modes madVR may switch to" field if I have a generic 17" LCD monitor that supports 60, 70, 72, 75 Hz frequencies?
Probably none. 72hz should be enough, since it's a multiple of 24fps in which most movies are shot. Might be better to set your screen to 72hz for desktop too, so you don't have to switch back and forth. It also depends on your results with SmoothMotion enabled. Keep in mind that you should use your LCD's native resolution and use madVR for scaling for best quality, even if you get lower refresh rate at native resolution.

I would suggest you try madVR in native resolution with highest possible refresh rate and SmoothMotion enabled or go for 72hz.

If you really need to list different modes it goes like that:
Code:
768p72, 768p75
if you have 1024x768@72hz and 1024x768@75hz available. You list the vertical resolution. It's usually safe to assume your PC screen only accepts progressive signal, hence the p.
Also madVR won't switch to a resolution/refresh rate unavailable to Windows.
michkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:24   #20099  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRaistlin View Post
I have a generic 17" LCD monitor that supports 60, 70, 72, 75 Hz frequencies
You should make sure that the monitor is not lying to you, and is not dropping/repeating frames when you request these refresh rates. I have yet to see a "generic 17" LCD monitor" that actually supports anything other than 60Hz. If you play a movie at 72Hz and it doesn't look smooth, your monitor is probably lying to you.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:45   #20100  |  Link
GCRaistlin

michkrol
Thanks for the answer. I already have my monitor set to 72 Hz. But I see no difference in comparison to 60 Hz of the "preset mode". As long as I remember I have read once that all of these LCD frequencies aren't "fair", the frequency of a LCD monitor is always 60 Hz and all other frequencies are just emulated. But I may be wrong.
I believe native resolution for 17" LCD is 1280x1024. If I don't use 25-to-24 fps conversion by ReClock, should I type
Code:
1024p75
there? Actually, I'm going to use this conversion, but I'd like to understand this madVR feature.
What about a generic CRT TV? I plan to connect it finally to my videocard. Will the following values be valid here:
Code:
600p50,600p60
Or are they wrong? Or are there some other valid ones?

e-t172
Quote:
You should make sure that the monitor is not lying to you, and is not dropping/repeating frames when you request these refresh rates. I have yet to see a "generic 17" LCD monitor" that actually supports anything other than 60Hz.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean.

Quote:
If you play a movie at 72Hz and it doesn't look smooth
That's the question. It looks smooth enough for me, but maybe it may be a bit more smooth? Let's consider my monitor is lying to me. Then? Should I set it to "fair" 60 Hz and leave the field empty? Or should I type:
Code:
1024p60
?

What about smooth motion - should I enable it anyway?

Magically yours
Raistlin
GCRaistlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling