Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th April 2015, 20:33   #28641  |  Link
dbezerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbezerra View Post
Since Madshi announced the integration of MadVR with Kodi via DSplayer (yess!!!) I started to play with it. Unfortunately I found an issue that seems odd to me:

Issue: Some MKV videos have very dark pictures (wrong, missing colors) when I play them in Kodi using MadVR in either full screen exclusive or full screen overlay. As soon as I press CTRL+Enter to get out of Full screen mode, the picture corrects itself. but if I press CTRL+Enter again, the same problem comes back.

I tested DSPlayer with EVR, MPC-HC with same MadVR / LavFilters and MediaBrowser Theater with LAV & MadVR but I couldn't repro this bug in any of the other environments. So I assume it's something to do with DSPlayer and MadVR integration.

Here are screenshots:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pxhs1fgk4...zWaICkxsa?dl=0

My GPU is a NVidia GTX 760 running the latest NVidia drivers.

Any clue of what may be causing this ?
I managed to pin point the issue. I can only see this problem in the following scenario:
1. Only when using DSPlayer (Kodi) with MadVR as a renderer in either Full screen exclusive or Full screen overlay
2. Have luma doubling set (# of neurons doesn't seem to matter)
3. Have the downscaling done by any of the custom pixel shader options (I use Catmull-Rom)

As soon as I change the downscaling to DXVA2 the problem goes away. It repros with version 0.87.17.

Question - do you know what could be causing this behavior only on DSPlayer? Do I lose quality by using DXVA2 instead of Catmull-Rom (looks like DXVA2 equals Bilinear for my NVIDIA card)
dbezerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 12:17   #28642  |  Link
sexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Zoom Player's OSD elements are very responsive when rendered through madVR. I notice no delay in the OSD at all even when in fullscreen exclusive mode.

I think this is a player issue not a madVR issue.
zoomplayer is a exception then , cause i get this in dsplayer kodi build and potplayer, so something in madvr is causing this , i dont get this with EVR or any other renderer, you can easily test this for yourself
sexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 12:47   #28643  |  Link
huhn

this is a know issue with the current kodi builds. lowering lower present frames in advances helps but this has to be fixed in kodi.

madVR renderers frames and stores them if the program renders the OSD on those frames they are delayed.

try low GPU queue and stuff like this.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 13:34   #28644  |  Link
garson

Several pages back I've reported issues, on WinXP 32bit, nV GT730, latest MPC-HC and MadVR.
I had sound and no image. I've downloaded latest madVR v0.87.17 and now I have image again.
Thanks, madshi.

Edit:
Just tried now madVR 0.87.14, not working, madVR 0.87.15 is working.

Last edited by garson; 5th April 2015 at 13:52.
garson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 13:52   #28645  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexus View Post
zoomplayer is a exception then , cause i get this in dsplayer kodi build and potplayer, so something in madvr is causing this , i dont get this with EVR or any other renderer, you can easily test this for yourself
MadVR offers different ways to render an OSD, some of which are better with display delay. ZP may just be doing it right!

FWIW, I don't understand why Kodi doesn't just render the video with madVR and any elements needed during playback, but keeps the main GUI on a separate 3D renderer, with no delay at all. But oh well, their design choice I guess.
Old 5th April 2015, 18:19   #28646  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
If I only have HD3000 (2520m), I can't use the Error diffusion (DX11) right? because the HD3000 only supports (DX10.1)
Nope. Its because your OS (setup) doesn't provide DX11.
Windows 8.1 x64 here and G1820 with simple HD graphics and it supports DC and ED.

Of course G1820 is rather slow for ED. Rendering time is about 40,3ms for 40ms upscaled movie but for HD3000 and above it should better.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 18:42   #28647  |  Link
vivan
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

IIRC he uses Windows 7 which, of course, supports DX11.

G1820 is Haswell, it should be similar to HD4600, not 3000. And HD3000 doesn't suppport ED, but HD4600 does.
vivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 22:15   #28648  |  Link
sexus

so , what , this is a kodi and potplayer issue afterall? guys you confuse me, setting prerendered frames to 1 or 8 in madvr doesnt do diddly for the lag

gpu queue is set to 24 and cpu to 48

update> ok ive just found out setting gpu queue to 4 fixed the OSD lag on kodi and potplayer this was the lowest setting there was no option to completely disable it oddly enough , i hope i didnt do anything wrong cause i always thought 24 was appropriate for my my unlocked titan gtx , ive left cpu queue at 48 , i recon this is ok for a i7 980x 4.3ghz oc , right? all gpu queue settings are set to flush for both windowed and fullscreen

btw theres still lag now when you backout during playback into the kodi homescreen , is there a fix for this?

Last edited by sexus; 5th April 2015 at 22:52.
Old 5th April 2015, 22:38   #28649  |  Link
huhn

by not rendering frames in the same instance.

BTW. 4 GPU queue isn't save at all try at least 6 or even simple things like deinterlacing can fail.

and the lag is at least 4 frames even with GPU queue of 4
Old 5th April 2015, 22:44   #28650  |  Link
sexus

ok so ive reset my gpu queue to 24 and my cpu queue to 48 and posted nevcairiels answer to kodi dsplayers thread , hope they can fix this , matter of fact maybe madshi can help with this , to have madvr use a seperate renderer for OSD elements , since as of currently even on the latest madvr build there is atleast 4 frames of OSD lag on both kodi and potplayer , as stated by huhn

Last edited by sexus; 5th April 2015 at 23:08.
Old 5th April 2015, 23:07   #28651  |  Link

Quote:
so , what , this is a kodi and potplayer issue afterall? guys you confuse me, setting prerendered frames to 1 or 8 in madvr doesnt do diddly for the lag
Don't do this - it's likely to cause lip-sync errors.
I don't know about Kodi or Potplayer's OSD elements, but using anything other than the old Windowed path will be slow to respond to inputs - and it gets slower the more frames you present in advance. That's one of the reasons I have stuck with the old windowed path for so long.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2015, 23:09   #28652  |  Link
sexus

yeah youre reply is abit late as you can see

btw whats this windowed path youre talking about?

is this a lag free 2nd renderer that both potplayer and kodi could have madvr use for OSD elements? cause this is what we need , thanks to nevcairiel for the idea

btw ive got my flush settings set to :

flush
flush and wait
dont flush
flush

for both windows and exclusive , i recon these are right, and ive got both set to prerender frames to 8 as anything above that introduces frame skipping ive noticed aka present several frames in advance for exclusive mode with 16 frames does this, so its been disabled

Last edited by sexus; 5th April 2015 at 23:18.
Old 5th April 2015, 23:21   #28653  |  Link
Kirk Lazarus

Fullscreen Exlusive mode 4K = Black screen

Hi guys,
I use my HTPC with a 4K TV but If I set MadVR to "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" I see black screen immediatly after the muose arrow vanish.

If I disable it I've no problem.

I've an AMD card and I exit at 2160@23p RGB 4:4:4

If I set my HTPC to output in 1920x1080 I can use "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" without any problem.

My setup is:
Windows 8.1 pro
AMD R9 280X with Catalyst 14.12
MadVR 0.87.14

Sorry If my question is stupid, I'm very new about HTPC and MadVR.

Thank you
Old 5th April 2015, 23:54   #28654  |  Link
macycat

madVR crash when dragging video

I noticed something odd. When I drag a window with a playing (or paused) video from one monitor to a second monitor, madVR crashes. Sometimes I get the following error:

madVR Error:

- creating Direct3D device failed (80070005)

When I select "enable windowed overlay" in general settings, I can move the window with the playing video from one monitor to the other with no crash.

I am using MPC-HC with Windows 7 64 bit and a GTX 670 video card.
macycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 00:27   #28655  |  Link

Quote:
btw whats this windowed path youre talking about?
Disable Full-Screen Exclusive, Windowed Overlay, and the present several frames in advance option for Windowed Mode to use the old path.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 00:42   #28656  |  Link
sexus

funny cause ive never use any of those in my regular playback which im testing this OSD lag issue on, so the old path doesnt help with this
Old 6th April 2015, 00:55   #28657  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
ok so ive reset my gpu queue to 24 and my cpu queue to 48 and posted nevcairiels answer to kodi dsplayers thread , hope they can fix this , matter of fact maybe madshi can help with this , to have madvr use a seperate renderer for OSD elements , since as of currently even on the latest madvr build there is atleast 4 frames of OSD lag on both kodi and potplayer , as stated by huhn

first of all the default for madVr is 16 CPU and 8 GPU.

and i'm not sure if the madVR osd has a lag of at least 4 frames. it looks like this with MPC-HC. the MPC-HC progress bar has no delay at all.

but the trick is it to not use the madVR OSD to render kodis OSD at all.
Old 6th April 2015, 02:33   #28658  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
first of all the default for madVr is 16 CPU and 8 GPU.

and i'm not sure if the madVR osd has a lag of at least 4 frames. it looks like this with MPC-HC. the MPC-HC progress bar has no delay at all.

but the trick is it to not use the madVR OSD to render kodis OSD at all.
I know madshi personally involved himself in integrating madVR into Kodi, so I don't know that you are going to get anywhere. Many people won't notice the lag at all. But if it bothers you a lot, you might have to use a separate player with Kodi as an alternative set-up.

Kodi was not designed with madVR in mind. I don't know of a more sophisticated media front-end that supports madVR, so what is there is a significant accomplishment. Player performance, in terms of rendering and picture quality, is excellent. It will never be perfect.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 02:49   #28659  |  Link
baii

Wddm 2.0 AMD driver (windows 10) is pretty broke with madvr now. Not that you can't make to work by changing queue/frame in advance/exclusive mode(completely broke on my machine), just not worth the fiddling. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Sent from my 306SH
baii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 08:57   #28660  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I know madshi personally involved himself in integrating madVR into Kodi, so I don't know that you are going to get anywhere. Many people won't notice the lag at all. But if it bothers you a lot, you might have to use a separate player with Kodi as an alternative set-up.

Kodi was not designed with madVR in mind. I don't know of a more sophisticated media front-end that supports madVR, so what is there is a significant accomplishment. Player performance, in terms of rendering and picture quality, is excellent. It will never be perfect.
someone else has a huge problem with that not me.
and i wouldn't be shocked if this gets fixed sooner or later. if it is a new OSD mode in madVR or by changing the presentation of the kodi OSD to another renderer instance. MPC-HC clearly shows it is possible why shouldn't it possible with kodi?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling