Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd November 2016, 14:56   #40641  |  Link
huhn

you can use 64 bit openCL in 32 bit mpc-hc try the workaround.

delete the reg key start a 64 bit player and use nnedi3 and than try the 32 bit player again.

madVR is only creating one openCL kernel if the first openCL kernal is 64 bit this may work.

i can't remember a change to this behavior so it should work. give it a try...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:29   #40642  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

nice idea but that didn't help either. I just think that it doesn't work with nvidia in 32bit applications. I'm gonna ask a friend to try out, I know he has a GTX 980 TI (Maxwell). and I'm eager to hear what 32bit player ryrynz was using.
Sp00kyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:20   #40643  |  Link
StinDaWg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Not posting like your stupid is a good start.
You're

Lose the attitude.
StinDaWg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:26   #40644  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
just tried the LOW setting of NGU, but still no dice. my hardware is to weak i guess..(gtx670)
@ madshi

greetz
You should be able to use NGU, because my my GTX-680 does even medium NGU !
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:31   #40645  |  Link
VHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotik View Post
Hello,

Either I am doing something totally wrong or things are not supposed to work the way I expect them to.

I ripped countless of times my Avatar 3D BluRay disc with latest MakeMKV v1.10.2 and yet the 3D subtitles are not working properly, for that matter they are not working properly even when I directly play the movie from my disc.

The 3D effects of the movie most of the time cut through the subtitles, and it doesn't matter which subtitle language I am using.

I am using latest madVR build + latest LAV, I tried with both xySubFilter and with MPC-HC internal subtitle engine.

I remember a couple of months ago madshi mentioned that 3D subtitles are supposed to work with xySubFilter.

FYI I got a passive 3D TV and madVR 3D setting set to auto, the movies themselves do work fine it is just the subtitles in both the bluray disc and the .mkv rip are not really working properly.

So am I the only one with this issue? am I doing something wrong? or 3D subtitles were never meant to work with madVR + LAV?

Thanx in advance.

You are not alone. I've had the same problem since the day one when I started usind madVR+LAV with 3d movies. Movie is fine but subtitles are in wrong depth. I've also tried different subtitle engines, original BluRay discs etc. but with no luck.
VHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:32   #40646  |  Link
pose

RX 470 user here. Win7 64bit, 16.11.4 driver. Ive tested a few different scenarios and basically when using the new algo as image doubler for luma NGU-med = NNEDI3 64 and NGU-high = NNEDI3 128 performance wise for me. Changing upscaling from Jinc to CR gave me -1ms of rendering time. Anime with NGU looks really good to me. Thanks!

Just tried a movie as video source and it looks hecking "natural". Well done, madshi!

Last edited by pose; 23rd November 2016 at 19:18.
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 18:22   #40647  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Quote:
Not posting like your stupid is a good start.
You're

Lose the attitude.
Totally agree.
Sp00kyFox made a good description, is polite etc. If you don't want to help, just don't post, instead of being that aggressive.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 19:42   #40648  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

okay my friend with the GTX 980 (v375.95) just reported back and to my suprise the NNEDI3 problem doesn't occur on his system. he tried it with the 32bit version of MPC-HC. so it seems as if this bug indeed only happens with Kepler and Pascal GPUs but not on Maxwell ones. how weird.

Last edited by Sp00kyFox; 23rd November 2016 at 19:48.
Old 23rd November 2016, 20:02   #40649  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00kyFox View Post
okay my friend with the GTX 980 (v375.95) just reported back and to my suprise the NNEDI3 problem doesn't occur on his system. he tried it with the 32bit version of MPC-HC. so it seems as if this bug indeed only happens with Kepler and Pascal GPUs but not on Maxwell ones. how weird.
I have a Pascal GPU (Titan X Pascal) and I don't have any issues with NNEDI3 and 32-bit Zoom Player.
Old 23rd November 2016, 20:11   #40650  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

then it must be another determining factor. well, maybe someone will figure it out. I'm out of ideas at the moment.
Old 23rd November 2016, 20:58   #40651  |  Link
jkauff

After more testing with several SD movies, I've gone back to NNEDI3 128 from NGU-high. A large part of my collection is B&W SD, with widely varying source quality.

madshi is right that NGU works best with high-quality sources. My Blu-rays look great with NGU-medium (the most my GTX 1060 can manage for high bitrate sources).

Thank goodness for profiles!
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 21:47   #40652  |  Link
AngelGraves13

madshi, I'd probably rename NGU-low/medium/high to 1X/2X/3X so that people know that they're passes and not really lower quality.

I'm able to do NGU-low for chroma and doubling luma + chroma w/ Jinc downscaling on my 1080 GTX to 1440p. NGU-med causes my MAX (5s) stats to hit 47ms once in awhile, so it's unacceptable to use it.

Last edited by AngelGraves13; 23rd November 2016 at 21:57.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 22:01   #40653  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
not assuming that people don't know what they talking about would be. you're making one wrong assumption after the other instead of conceding that your discussion partner may be as competent as you are and taking him by the word.
Without continuing this discussion too much, if you test then specify you've tested and and post a relevant screenshot to what was stated in the post. And just perhaps if told it's a driver problem with your system, you could believe it rather than focusing on how wrong I am.

Quote:
the previous version I had was v375.63. before I posted here I did try all the driver versions from the nvidia archive beginning with v359.06 (1.12.2015) with no avail.
Unfortunate, I'd be surprised if all working versions had this issue though or perhaps it's something else related to the system.

Quote:
your assumption is wrong again. I did put several hours into it before I decided to ask if someone else knew this problem. which did help.
Fair enough, your assumption was wrong also. And yes StinDaWg I know when to use that word, talk about a petty post.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 22:59   #40654  |  Link
Sp00kyFox

Quote:
Without continuing this discussion too much, if you test then specify you've tested and and post a relevant screenshot to what was stated in the post. And just perhaps if told it's a driver problem with your system, you could believe it rather than focusing on how wrong I am.
the screenshot in my initial post was relevant to the problem, that's why I posted it. I even explicitily stated that it is not a performance or heat problem, knowing that this will be the first thought of some people. and it's not a question of believe. I just already considered the idea that it might be a driver problem. maybe it is but then it is not something that is specific to a certain version and thanks to your information we know that this can't be the only causing factor since you're using the same driver version without this problem.

Quote:
Unfortunate, I'd be surprised if all working versions had this issue though or perhaps it's something else related to the system.
well it must be then. perhaps it is the GPU and the factor is more specific than the overall architecture type.

Quote:
Fair enough, your assumption was wrong also.
I had various theories about the problem that haven't worked out so far. I'm still interested to hear what 32bit player you were using though.
Old 23rd November 2016, 23:31   #40655  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
the screenshot in my initial post was relevant to the problem, that's why I posted it. I even explicitily stated that it is not a performance or heat problem, knowing that this will be the first thought of some people.
Pays to have what you say and what you link match for reference in future, but that wasn't that big a deal.

Quote:
I had various theories about the problem that haven't worked out so far. I'm still interested to hear what 32bit player you were using though.
It won't be related to the player. I used MPC-BE x86.
Given that this issue occurs with quite different systems in the same area (32 bit OpenCL) it might possibly not be a driver bug. This will not be easy to troubleshoot, I can't recall ever having visual corruption with NNEDI3.
Did you try what huhn suggested? Also did you try running the reset defaults batch file in the madVR directory? I've found this to fix the odd issue like this over the years.

Also, just for the hell of it test madVR 0.87.21 & 0.87.0 which are the first revisions where NNEDI3 made an appearance in case any madVR code changes have affect on the output.

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th November 2016 at 00:10.
Old 23rd November 2016, 23:45   #40656  |  Link
Kotik

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHT View Post
You are not alone. I've had the same problem since the day one when I started usind madVR+LAV with 3d movies. Movie is fine but subtitles are in wrong depth. I've also tried different subtitle engines, original BluRay discs etc. but with no luck.
Nice to know that i am not the only one having this issue.
Kotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 00:11   #40657  |  Link
steakhutzeee

I've this issue, only running Madvr.

Only when reproducing (not in pause) and mostly noticeable on dark background, i've this sort of "flickering" like barely visible translucent horizontal bars. Like a sort of "signal interference". This can't be captured on screenshot.

What could be?
Old 24th November 2016, 00:14   #40658  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

//nevermind...

Last edited by Q-the-STORM; 24th November 2016 at 00:55.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 00:25   #40659  |  Link
YxP

Well NGU seems to be pretty damn awesome. I can use NGU-low for chroma AND both luma and chroma doubling with my AMD HD7850 GPU and the fan isn't even 100%. I know that at least luma doubling is working, because of the obvious quality change, but from what I quickly gathered from this thread, this might not be how it is supposed to be? Should my setup be struggling? OSD seems to be working. Anyways, I'm not using either chroma or chroma doubling NGU other than for testing purposes. However, bilateral-NGU could be interesting, if it's within reasonable performance requirements.

On a personal note, I'm very happy to see NGU to land, since this is probably the first time that even my friends, who don't normally care for picture quality, actually noticed that things on the screen changed when I switched from super-xbr 100 to NGU-low. Can't give higher praise to madshi than that.

@leeperry Looks like you still have your 7850 and 13-series drivers? Could you report some numbers for comparison? I'm on the latest 64bit crimson. Same card.

@ryrynz You saw it necessary to tell me that big screens don't matter, only the distance from the screen. You do have some attitude and nobody is being too much of a dick about it. Let's all be friends, shall we?
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 00:29   #40660  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YxP View Post
@ryrynz You saw it necessary to tell me that big screens don't matter, only the distance from the screen. You do have some attitude and nobody is being too much of a dick about it. Let's all be friends, shall we?
Here I'm looking at a 24" screen I'm about 1 1/2 feet away from it.
My 65" TV is about 2 1/2 meters away, my 24" screen encompasses more of my vision than the 65" TV does and I can resolve more detail too.
This isn't attitude it's simple science mate.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling