Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 15th May 2020, 18:51   #1  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

NVenc main10 needs 10 bits?

I am starting to play with StaxRip and NVenc.

I am a bit confused about --profile main10 and --output-depth 10.

I mean: I read that standard hw decoding needs 10 bit hevc, what have I to set to have a compliant stream? Both? One of them only?

P.S: source is 8 bit. I am planning, if encoder is fast enough, to work on HBD.
Old 16th May 2020, 02:08   #2  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
I am starting to play with StaxRip
Fatal mistake.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 07:59   #3  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
Fatal mistake.

Need to try encoding options before using direct command line
Old 16th May 2020, 18:10   #4  |  Link
stax76

But you still need mulders launcher, so not true command line yet.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 18:19   #5  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

I was just kidding. staxrip is a very fine application.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2020, 18:19   #6  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
But you still need mulders launcher, so not true command line yet.

Read the first message again...
Old 16th May 2020, 19:56   #7  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

If you set --output-depth 10, the encoder should be smart enough to set the profile to Main10.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:24   #8  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
If you set --output-depth 10, the encoder should be smart enough to set the profile to Main10.
Ok but what is the difference among

--profile main --output-depth 10
--profile main10 --output-depth 10
--profile main --output-depth 8
--profile main10 --output-depth 8
Old 17th May 2020, 11:54   #9  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

The second and third one are correct as they are not contradictory. At least x265 will check what parameters you give it and will not encode if you try to set an output bitdepth which is not supported in the profile you set. I never set output-depth, I just set the profile to Main10.
Old 17th May 2020, 12:01   #10  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
The second and third one are correct as they are not contradictory. At least x265 will check what parameters you give it and will not encode if you try to set an output bitdepth which is not supported in the profile you set. I never set output-depth, I just set the profile to Main10.

Am I wrong or the majority of HW decoder support 10 bits only?
Old 17th May 2020, 12:12   #11  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Am I wrong or the majority of HW decoder support 10 bits only?
With current hardware, 10bit encoding is probably the most compatible way but I think (without looking at any UHD specifications), Main profile is often also supported. Nevertheless, there really is no reason not to encode at 10 bits even if your source is 8-bit.
Old 17th May 2020, 12:40   #12  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Nevertheless, there really is no reason not to encode at 10 bits even if your source is 8-bit.
Performance maybe, fewer bits are easier to process.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2020, 13:17   #13  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Encoding-wise maybe, decoding-wise it was not an issue on my previous media player when I tested it. I expected 10-bit decoding to require more CPU power but the difference was negligible.
I'd still say the pros like less banding and possibly smaller files outweigh the cons of slower encoding.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:49   #14  |  Link
StormMeows

Since we are on the topic of NVenc 10 Bit HW encoding and Staxrip. I would like to know what the best manual settings would be to use for this for 1080p blu-ray encodes and 4K encodes. I have tried using Handbrake for NVenc encodes, but notice there is no 10 bit option. It only gives you Profile "Main" as an option, instead of Profile Main10. I want to retain the original 1:1 audio quality and get the video portion of my HW encode the best possible quality that I can. I do not care about the file size, as long as I save some space over the RAW .MKV that MakeMKV provides. For instance, if I do the HW encode and use my 2080 RTX Super Card in Handbrake and select "Slow" for the preset and 16 CFR I can take a 31GB movie down to 16GB, which is fine to me. I just want the best absolute quality on the video portion. Can anyone help with manual settings that I would use to obtain this? I want 2 or 3 pass of course. My processor is an i7 8700k which takes about 8 hours to do a x265 10 Bit encode of the same file. I know it gets it smaller than HW NVenc but if I can obtain a similar video quality with NVenc compared to x265 slow and the file size is bigger, that's perfectly fine to me. I know some users use like -1:-1 deblocking, etc etc. I just want to know the best possible manual settings that I can just input into StaxRip every time and get the best encode quality using NVenc. Hopefully someone can help out a newb to this. Thank you in advance!
StormMeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 20:59   #15  |  Link
RanmaCanada

if you want to get the absolute best video quality, then you do not want to use NVENC. There is an entire thread https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172618 where near the end Turing NVENC is compared to x265 and it's not even close. There are also multiple other threads that discuss "current" best methods, though some are 2 years old. It may be best to start a new thread, as things have changed, and it would be easier for other users to find to discuss. I'll be honest, I don't even know what's good to use these days either, and could do with some help also! All these new commands and switches to increase quality or speed it up might as well be ancient Greek at this point.

On a side note, 8 hours is pretty fast. If you just want to get faster, grab a 3900x as it's almost twice as fast as your chip. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-3700x/13.html (also uses less power)
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:21   #16  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanmaCanada View Post
if you want to get the absolute best video quality, then you do not want to use NVENC.
There are videos where you don't care really a lot about video quality, such as pr0n, tv grab and vhs reverse. It just needs to be fast and hassle free.
Old 23rd May 2020, 15:04   #17  |  Link
RanmaCanada

Quote:
There are videos where you don't care really a lot about video quality, such as pr0n, tv grab and vhs reverse. It just needs to be fast and hassle free.
OP specifically states they want the absolute BEST video quality. They are doing bluray encodes, not pr0n, tv grabs or VHS (which should be in huffy at minimum).
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 00:18   #18  |  Link
StormMeows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanmaCanada View Post
if you want to get the absolute best video quality, then you do not want to use NVENC. There is an entire thread https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172618 where near the end Turing NVENC is compared to x265 and it's not even close. There are also multiple other threads that discuss "current" best methods, though some are 2 years old. It may be best to start a new thread, as things have changed, and it would be easier for other users to find to discuss. I'll be honest, I don't even know what's good to use these days either, and could do with some help also! All these new commands and switches to increase quality or speed it up might as well be ancient Greek at this point.

On a side note, 8 hours is pretty fast. If you just want to get faster, grab a 3900x as it's almost twice as fast as your chip. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-3700x/13.html (also uses less power)
Thanks so much for your input! I think for now it is probably best for me to just use something like MakeMKV and leave the files in their native form without any additional compression. I don't think the time it is going to take is worth the quality I lose and I do have the money and hard drive space on my NAS to be able to do everything uncompressed . Thank you for replying though and I agree that there should be more threads discussing the various different script that can speed up encodes and increase the quality.
StormMeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2020, 08:04   #19  |  Link
hydra3333

people recode pr0n ? now iv'e heard everything.

i used to have to tinker with some tv captures of really-fast-moving-action sporting events due to the broadcaster badly limiting bandwidth and making it much too blocky.
nowadays they've got enough better so I just leave it as-broadcast, like you propose. "good enough" for home viewing which is usually once in a blue moon.
having said that, occasional mpeg2 SD type captures get put through the filter/nvenc mill, and it's still "good enough" for rare home viewing.

depends if you're a video buff I suppose, in which case you will do what your needs tell you to do
good luck with buying disk space, you must be rich !
hydra3333 is offline   Reply With Quote