Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 12th August 2019, 02:04   #57081  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
I think everyone is making this "benchmark"/comparison for too complicated.
I agree! However, your idea is impossible due to GPU boost so we need to come up with something easy to do reasonably accurately that provides a numeric score we can easily compare. Getting my 2080 Ti to run at full speed will definitely cause dropped frames on a 1650.

I am very familiar with madVR's options and the NGU quality levels and even I don't get a sense of how fast chros'es 1060 is compared to my 2080 Ti based on that report. Comparing GPUs with pages of those kind of reports is not easy so we really need a better test method.
Old 12th August 2019, 02:08   #57082  |  Link
ksio89

Nevermind, already found the solution to my question.

Last edited by ksio89; 12th August 2019 at 02:18.
ksio89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 03:13   #57083  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I need a little help. I have a R9 270X that is still kicking (even after it died and I baked it in the oven to bring it back to life), It was more than enough when I had my 1024x768 rectangular pixel "720p" Plasma. When That TV died and I replaced it with a 55" LG C8, I tried playing 4k HDR though the PC, but it didn't work and I just chalked it up to a GPU with only 2GB RAM and HDMI 1.4 so since then I played the 4k HDR content using the TV's built in player.

But today I was farting around with a 4k HDR Blu-ray and it worked on the PC. I can even do HDR.... It took a little tweaking to work in super high bitrate scenes. I cranked CPU and GPU queues to the max (48/24) which makes no sense since queues that big make normal playback of 1080p or less a choppy mess, but the 4k HDR plays like silk (and turns into a choppy mess with 16/8 queue default queue depths) plus queues that big should cause serious RAM shortages shouldn't they? This card has just 2GB... it's odd, but I digress.

Now that I realize can "tone map HDR using pixel shaders", I am curious what should I set "target peak nits" to... I read the C8 can do 820 nits, but I don't have a meter to verify. I know there are a few C8 users here, just trying to pick your brains

QB
Old 12th August 2019, 06:14   #57084  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
12% is not enough before madVR starts "batch" dropping at some point madVR even runs async.
I am not sure this is true with all setting combinations, I get similar results with NGU high that results in 38.7% frames dropped. Standard deviation for 10 runs was only 217 (1.43%).

I have a proposal, I wonder if it gives reproducible results? There is a lot of noise in the results on my system so I think we need to run it at least three times and average the results, 10 or more would be even better.
  1. Set your display refresh rate to 23 Hz
  2. Reset your madVR settings and use this settings.bin. Do not change any settings.
  3. Use this video
  4. Set LAV to DXVA2 Native for H.264, or software decoding if you cannot get DXVA2 native to work
  5. View the video at 1920x1080, either fullscreen or windowed depending on your native resolution
  6. On startup pause and seek to the start of the video
  7. Use ctrl-R to reset the stats
  8. Unpause
  9. When it ends use ctrl-j to view the number of frame dropped
  10. Repeat as many times as you can and average the results

Make sure your player does nothing when the video ends, just leaves the last frame up paused. I suggest MPC-HC or Zoom Player.

A check to make sure it is working correctly is that the upload queue is at least 1-8 for the entire playback. Watching with the OSD open seems to give the same results. Make sure you do not have any hidden file/folder options enabled as the settings file cannot change those.

My 2080 Ti drops an average of 4584 frames with a standard deviation of 265 (5.8%) over 10 repeats.
Old 12th August 2019, 12:05   #57085  |  Link
huhn

1. that limits the number of test system quite a lot

6. stop pause wait til the queues are full should be more reliable.

9. i had the OSD on

10. to time demanding for a benchmark and maybe not needed.

i run it 2 times at 60 hz and got very reliable results from this both runs where pretty much spot on 33000 dropped frames.
is forcing SM the trick so it doesn't go "mad"?
my upload queue survived for some reason with 2-8.

i had ShowRenderSteps active but i didn't run this for the numbers now more to see if something is odd.
SM had 0 ms so madVR is skipping it the same for one final step.

just to be sure that BBB 60 at 4x speed so around 38160 frames so
not even 14 % survived in my case so about 30 MS per rendered frame?

DXVA native may cost a lot of processing power here. at 23p these settings are a joke and that's only a difference of 10 time which is matching so this worked for me with these settings.
this is far better then i expected.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 19:57   #57086  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I have a proposal, I wonder if it gives reproducible results? There is a lot of noise in the results on my system so I think we need to run it at least three times and average the results, 10 or more would be even better.

My 2080 Ti drops an average of 4584 frames with a standard deviation of 265 (5.8%) over 10 repeats.
I have been reading the discussion about benchmarking madvr for the various graphics cards. I think I am not interested in such a benchmark, because it is useless in my opinion. The results tell me little. I cannot base by choice on this.

I am interested in how a graphics card (example an AMD 5700 XT or a RTC 2070 Super) performs at its BEST when scaling 2K to 4K. What are the settings for the best possible video quality? What are the experiences? Different cards end up with different settings but perhaps with almost equivalent quality. Comparing these settings (and parameters) would be more useful. The cards can be ranked by medium, high and very high quality with or without certain features. The maturity of the drivers also need to be considered, like are 3D or HDR supported. Price is also an important parameter.

My AMD RX 480 is default a medium performer, but with specific settings it becomes a high performer. Very high performance (very high NGU) is too much for this card, but the difference between high NGU and very high NGU is very small on my projector screen. Thus far, I am satisfied with high NGU and the video quality. However, many features had to be disabled and I cannot crank up the quality with this card. Doubling fps and smooth motion would further improve the video quality, but this card cannot do this for high NGU and up; e.g. in the past BlueSky improved the video quality quite a lot. This is why I am interested in a new graphics card, such as the AMD 5700 XT, to find out if the video quality can be significantly improved.

I am more interest in what a particular graphics card is up to with madvr.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 20:06   #57087  |  Link
huhn

that the point of his test. because there are to many combination of setting a GPU that has a better ranking will be able to do more settings in general.
Old 12th August 2019, 20:27   #57088  |  Link
Asmodian

I am simply not interested in putting together that kind of benchmark/database of user reports. There are way too many variables and what is important changes from person to person. Can we do both adaptive sharpen and thin edges while doing 720p -> 4K with NGU 2x very high and 2x high? What about with NGU direct 4x very high? How about with SSIM100 downscaling or Lanczos3?

It is simply never ending.

My benchmark is simply a "madVR performance score". Once we have enough data we could say what score you need to do 1080p24 -> 2160p with NGU high "with some headroom", or any setting we are interested in. The same with adding BlueSky or similar. If users report their experiance with a particular GPU and a particular configuration we could compare the performance score of their GPU with another no one has posted anything about to decide if it is likely to work.

Of course, my benchmark is mostly a NGU benchmark (NGU low and medium to be exact), we don't know if the score would compare well for other settings too... honestly we really don't have any good data sets now. All these reports like, "I use NGU very high for 1080p24 -> 2160p60, all artifact removal disabled, ordered dithering, smooth motion, and a 3DLUT on my 2080 Ti" aren't very useful. If the benchmark does not test this combination for a pass/fail it isn't useful for me because it doesn't test my use case and it is really hard to use a big collection of these to come up with something useful, not to mention the effort involved in collecting and presenting it all. There is a reason popular benchmarks always return a single numeric score.
Old 12th August 2019, 20:40   #57089  |  Link
ng4ever

Is it true Nvidia RTX cards have a freezing issue with madVR ?
ng4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 21:51   #57090  |  Link
Asmodian

I have no issues with current drivers on my 2080 Ti.
Old 12th August 2019, 22:02   #57091  |  Link
ng4ever

Quote:
I have no issues with current drivers on my 2080 Ti.
Thanks.
Old 12th August 2019, 23:13   #57092  |  Link
fourbigkids

Washed out video

Hi all. I have been having problems with madvr for some time. The latest issue occurred when I upgraded the driver for my video card, a Gigabyte Nvidia RTX 2060, and then had to downgrade to an earlier driver when the latest gave me a black screen when running two displays.

I use MPC-BE. When Madvr is selected as the video renderer, the colours are washed out. These are just ordinary DVD or blu-ray rips. Nothing fancy. If I change the renderer, or if I use a different player such as VLC or Media Player, the colour appears normal, just not with madvr. The TV is UHD and automatically handles the colour gamut and madvr is setup for PC 0-255. I have reinstalled MPC-BE and madvr (since the downgrade in the driver), but no luck. Still washed out compared to any other player or renderer.

Appreciate any pointers you might have.

Cheers,

Allan
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 00:02   #57093  |  Link
Asmodian

Do you have a "this display is already calibrated" display setting configured? Set it to BT.709 with a 2.2 gamma.
Old 13th August 2019, 02:26   #57094  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Is it true Nvidia RTX cards have a freezing issue with madVR ?
Freezing, no. There are microstutter issues that some of us have. But we've worked around it 1 of 2 ways. Either use D3D9 or set the present frames in advance to 1 if you are impacted by the issue.
Old 13th August 2019, 02:27   #57095  |  Link
ng4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Freezing, no. There are microstutter issues that some of us have. But we've worked around it 1 of 2 ways. Either use D3D9 or set the present frames in advance to 1 if you are impacted by the issue.
Cool. Thanks!
Old 13th August 2019, 02:50   #57096  |  Link
fourbigkids

Quote:
Do you have a "this display is already calibrated" display setting configured? Set it to BT.709 with a 2.2 gamma.
Thanks Asmodian. That fixed it! You're a star! :-)

Cheers,

Allan
fourbigkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 10:15   #57097  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Why does that need to be configured? Isn't that the default setting? Or maybe he had another configuration and set "disable calibration..." does the same?
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2019, 19:24   #57098  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i run it 2 times at 60 hz and got very reliable results from this both runs where pretty much spot on 33000 dropped frames.
MSI 1060 Gaming X 6GB, 9 runs, median: 36855
36898 , 36469 , 36921 , 37039 , 33106 , 36855 , 36900 , 36964 , 35671

What does it tell us? (Apart from 2080TI is faster than 1060 6GB)
Old 13th August 2019, 19:25   #57099  |  Link
huhn

i was using a 960.
Old 13th August 2019, 19:38   #57100  |  Link
Asmodian

I am not even sure this method is useful... we don't have enough data (yet?) but it is odd that the 960 seems faster than the 1060 based on your reports.

Upload queue was 1-8 or higher the entire time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
What does it tell us? (Apart from 2080TI is faster than 1060 6GB)
Did you see my previous post?

Quote:
My benchmark is simply a "madVR performance score". Once we have enough data we could say what score you need to do 1080p24 -> 2160p with NGU high "with some headroom", or any setting we are interested in. The same with adding BlueSky or similar. If users report their experiance with a particular GPU and a particular configuration we could compare the performance score of their GPU with another no one has posted anything about to decide if it is likely to work.
Edit: There are 38073 frames total, maybe dropping that many is testing some interop step more than NGU speed.

Last edited by Asmodian; 13th August 2019 at 19:53.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling