Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 21st April 2019, 15:43   #1  |  Link
IgorQ9

x265 preset changes 2.7 ---> 3.0

Hi, I used to encode my DVDs using QTGMC, x265 v2.7 and preset "veryslow". I recently upgraded to 3.0, but I'm noticing differences i'm not sure im happy with.

FFmpeg 4.1 (using version 2.7 x265)
Test_clip.mp4: Size 11,6mb (veryslow crf 19)

FFmpeg 4.1.1 (using version 3.0 x265)
Test_clip.mp4: Size 12,8mb, Encode speed vs old version: >100% faster (medium, crf=19)
Test_clip.mp4: Size 13,5mb, Encode speed vs old version: >100% faster (slow, crf=19)
Test_clip.mp4: Size 13,8mb, Encode speed vs old version: 5% slower (slower, crf=19)
Test_clip.mp4: Size 13,7mb, Encode speed vs old version: >100% slower (veryslow, crf=19)

I am aware that this comparison is not equal and the new version is probably superior, despite the numbers showing otherwise. I liked using the old version "veryslow" because it was just about as slow as QTGMC, so they lined up nicely. With the new version whatever preset I choose, I will end up with a file atleast 10% larger. Lets say I decide to use "slower" and crf=19.5 that should get me closer to the size of the 2.7 encode. Did anyone test if it has equal or superior quality? Does anyone know exactly what changed so I can test out feeding the settings in manualy to see the results with the new version?

Im also tampering with encoder settings for x265 like no-sao=1, no-strong-intra-smoothing=1 and aq-mode=3. There is a lot of hate on sao on different encoding threads, but most of it seems to be dated. Did you guys test this?

Thanks
IgorQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 22:01   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

SAO is awesome at most typical bitrates. If you're going for total transparency you'll still probably want to disable it.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:43   #3  |  Link
IgorQ9

Thanks guys. After examining what HolyWu posted and reading the the blog post under I'm more comfortable using the new version.

http://x265.org/revamped-veryslow-sl...-x265-ver-3-0/
IgorQ9 is offline   Reply With Quote