Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th October 2017, 18:32   #46241  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Correct, it doesn't expose the SEI data. While one could parse that manually out of the bitstream before giving it to CUVID, thats just not done, and would also be quite annoying.
Old 6th October 2017, 18:37   #46242  |  Link
bitterman

I seem to have a problem with x265 (H.265) video files.

The image freezes but the audio continues playing, resulting in massive dropped frames.

It happens sporadically.

I made a video about it with madvr statistics enabled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljlp67uHH_0

It even happens with a 300mb re-encode video file. Such as with e.g. Annabelle.2014.BluRay.1080p.H265-20-40.

If needed here is the Mediainfo output of the file:
https://pastebin.com/p2M9X2QM

My pc specs are:
- i7 4770k
- geforce gtx 650 ti (latest drivers)
- 8gb ram
- w7 64 bit

My MadVR settings are close to default.

And my settings in LAV are also on default. I only changed the hardware decoder to dxva2 copy-back.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this to happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 18:41   #46243  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Correct, it doesn't expose the SEI data. While one could parse that manually out of the bitstream before giving it to CUVID, thats just not done, and would also be quite annoying.

It's really good to have D3D11VA support now, probably avoids a fair amount of trouble or oddities for every driver.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 18:48   #46244  |  Link
iSeries

Using D3D11 copyback, the crop black bars/zoom functions do not seem to work. They work fine with DXVA2 copyback. Is that expected?
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 18:52   #46245  |  Link
huhn

yes it by default it is using native mode for copyback select a GPU in the drop down menu.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 18:54   #46246  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
yes it by default it is using native mode for copyback select a GPU in the drop down menu.
Yeah I did that, I made sure it is using copyback. Zoom function doesn't work with it
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 19:09   #46247  |  Link
huhn

well working perfectly fine here: https://abload.de/img/workingfine3wukf.png
Old 6th October 2017, 19:24   #46248  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman View Post
I seem to have a problem with x265 (H.265) video files.
[...]
- i7 4770k
- geforce gtx 650 ti (latest drivers)

And my settings in LAV are also on default. I only changed the hardware decoder to dxva2 copy-back.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this to happen?
I don't know what is causing it but I would recommend to simply deactivate hardware decoding for HEVC and move on. Neither i7-4770k nor GTX 650 Ti have ASIC for HEVC. Not worth the trouble.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 19:35   #46249  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I don't know what is causing it but I would recommend to simply deactivate hardware decoding for HEVC and move on. Neither i7-4770k nor GTX 650 Ti have ASIC for HEVC. Not worth the trouble.
Thanks. So upgrading to a GTX 970 would fix this?

This is almost pretty unbelievable that you need a super high end system just for playing x265 (h.265) files. I'm stunned.

I can't imagine how many people are still in the same boat as me.
Old 6th October 2017, 19:38   #46250  |  Link
sneaker_ger

GTX 970 is not good. GTX 950, GTX 960 or GTX 10xx (Pascal) would be better. (Or Intel Kaby Lake and later)

But why not just use software decoding? Your CPU is more than fast enough for at least 1080p, probably also for most 4Kp24 stuff.
Old 6th October 2017, 19:40   #46251  |  Link
huhn

no a 970 can't do it you need a 960/950 or newer card pascal card.

and of cause you need new hardware for new codecs how could a GPU old than a new codec have fixed function hardware decoder for it?

even 1030 has a fixed function hardware decoder so no need for high end hardware you just need new hard.
Old 6th October 2017, 19:45   #46252  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:
GTX 970 is not good. GTX 950, GTX 960 or GTX 10xx (Pascal) would be better. (Or Intel Kaby Lake and later)

But why not just use software decoding? Your CPU is more than fast enough for at least 1080p.
So just by disabling HEVC in LAV would do the trick?

And it will automatically use my CPU instead of my GPU?

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out.
Old 6th October 2017, 19:57   #46253  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no a 970 can't do it you need a 960/950 or newer card pascal card.

and of cause you need new hardware for new codecs how could a GPU old than a new codec have fixed function hardware decoder for it?

even 1030 has a fixed function hardware decoder so no need for high end hardware you just need new hard.
But I find it super silly that even a 300mb h.265 re-encode can't even play properly on my system. I understand that 4k or 1080p files maybe can't handle the job, but a simple transcode?! So weird if you ask me.

EDIT:
It must be the GTX 650 Ti then. Oh well.

Last edited by bitterman; 6th October 2017 at 20:17.
Old 6th October 2017, 20:21   #46254  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I think it's also just a myth that Cuda deinterlacing would be better in terms of quality. [...] still inferior to YADIF.
Are you quite sure of this?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 20:42   #46255  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Are you quite sure of this?
To my eyes it does, it subjectively shows temporal aliasing which isn't there with YADIF. You could argue that YADIF shows other artifacts, but I can't imagine how anyone would find them more severe.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 21:00   #46256  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
I'm not using any processing/enhancement/refinement, and yet on my system the picture looks more similar to your madVR screenshot than to your VLC one (albeit with more banding artefacts).
I noticed that madVR produces a 1920x800 image and your VLC screenshot is 1920x804, the aspect ratio is different. I don't know much about VLC, but what renderer and decoder does it use? If it's DXVA and/or EVR, are you sure your graphics card video 'enhancements' are not processing the image? And how does it produce screenshots? Or did you use print screen?
I also tried basic EVR, and the resulting image is 1920x804 like your VLC screenshot, but with the same brightness levels as madVR. I think the VLC image is the bad one here.

Edit: this scene is a very good showcase of how much better at rendering madVR is than GPU drivers & EVR, btw!
I just caputerd the image in vlc by the in buil function.

So you say that brightness is the right thing to have? Talking about madvr here.
Old 6th October 2017, 21:05   #46257  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:

But why not just use software decoding? Your CPU is more than fast enough for at least 1080p, probably also for most 4Kp24 stuff.
One more question. The other day I tried to reproduce my problem on my fathers pc, since I didn't had a clue what was going on and he has a R7 240. So far his pc didn't had the freeze image issue (maybe if I waited longer it still could have happened). But does this mean that the R7 240 supports HEVC?

Last edited by bitterman; 6th October 2017 at 21:09.
Old 6th October 2017, 21:10   #46258  |  Link
sneaker_ger

No, R7 doesn't support HEVC at all. Then LAV simply falls back to software decoding. Good software decoding is often better than "bad" (no ASIC) hardware decoding.

If you open LAV Video settings during playback it will tell you which decoder is currently active. ("avcodec" = (ffmpeg) software decoder)
Old 6th October 2017, 21:15   #46259  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
To my eyes it does, it subjectively shows temporal aliasing which isn't there with YADIF. You could argue that YADIF shows other artifacts, but I can't imagine how anyone would find them more severe.
Do you have screenshot comparisons that verify this?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 21:32   #46260  |  Link
Drakko01

Quote:
Can't judge SVP, haven't really ever used it. I'd expect that there are no differences as long as system performance is sufficient.
One possibility might also be that Cuda applications are favored for best performance by the driver over other applications.
For my I can't live without (svp, madvr and lav filters), I wanna narrow down the reason for the major improvement that was talking about, to share with other users of SVP, and for that I need help of the people in this forum who's have a bast knowledge of interaction of settings between programs filters and renders
Drakko01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling