Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st May 2015, 23:17   #30641  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
No. But please try these two (both debug builds):

http://madshi.net/madVR8810test3.zip

Please let me know if either of them works (or both). If either of them does *not* work, please upload a debug log for that. If both don't work, please upload a debug log for both. Thanks.
Neither of those worked. One slight difference I noticed was with the present queue is now stuck at 2-5/8 instead of the previous 1-4/8 on both builds. Here are the logs.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...19334988377767
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 23:29   #30642  |  Link
XRyche

I know this is the madVR thread but since Shiandow's debanding algorithm is being tested along side madVR's, I hope the thread will forgive me for the following.
In my tinkering with the deband algorithm's this weekend I have confirmed for myself a rather happy alternative use for Shiandow's algorithm set at 1.00 strength and .01 margin with grain. It does an excellent job of deblocking and denoising my old dvr rips at sub 480p resolution without totally killing detail (in tandem with nnedi3) and making it a fuzzy mess. Well more fuzzy than it already was.
This is just my opinion, but I think it would really be beneficial (for me and possibly even a small minority of users) if Shiandow might be able to optimize his debanding algorithm further down that path and possibly madshi could use it as a denoiser/general deblocker for madVR somewhere in the near future.
Not every user uses madVR for just relatively clean HD content. I for one have a lot of old dvr files that I just can't see myself getting rid of and no amount of recoding that I can personally do will improve the quality of these files.
This is just a suggestion an by no means a demand in any way, shape or form.
Old 1st June 2015, 01:09   #30643  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Code:
madVR v0.88.10

* fixed: some problems when using NNEDI3
* slightly modified "high" debanding preset, once more
I tried NNEDI3 again and it still doesn't work. What's interesting is that if I apply NNEDI3 frame quadrupling, it does change rendering times, but that's because it applies Jinc3 twice. See attached picture. I'm using dual-graphics Radeon HD 7670M on Windows 7 x64.

Last edited by MysteryX; 24th June 2015 at 06:08.
MysteryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 01:52   #30644  |  Link
huhn

have you checked it without profiles?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 03:57   #30645  |  Link
Asmodian

The double "> Jinc3 AR" report is normal if you weren't using doubling but were using upscaling refinement with the "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step" option checked. It looks like NNEDI3 doubling is unavailable or that profile isn't the one being used?

The bold text doesn't change once you open the settings page so changes to the source (probably not the issue here) or the settings can cause madVR to use one of the other profiles without any indication.
Old 1st June 2015, 04:46   #30646  |  Link
tobindac

Call me crazy but my favorite feature after the possibility for 10bit, was that the uninstaller/installer no longer does "DING!" everytime is run.
tobindac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 06:11   #30647  |  Link
Blackfyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobindac View Post
Call me crazy but my favorite feature after the possibility for 10bit, was that the uninstaller/installer no longer does "DING!" everytime is run.
I actually miss the "DING"
Blackfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 06:51   #30648  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The double "> Jinc3 AR" report is normal if you weren't using doubling but were using upscaling refinement with the "refine the image after every ~2x upscaling step" option checked. It looks like NNEDI3 doubling is unavailable or that profile isn't the one being used?

The bold text doesn't change once you open the settings page so changes to the source (probably not the issue here) or the settings can cause madVR to use one of the other profiles without any indication.
I was using upscaling refinement, but with the other option checked to do it only once. If I disable refinement, the double upscaling is gone.

It's using the right profile. NNEDI3 never worked on my computer, no matter the driver version, no matter if I reinstall Windows.

However... Jinc4 and Lanczos8 were removed, probably because NNEDI3 is a better alternative. But since I don't have NNEDI3, there are cases where Jinc4 and Lanczos8 serve me, so for now I'm better to stick to the old version.

Old 1st June 2015, 08:00   #30649  |  Link
MSL_DK

With v0.88.9 and v0.88.10 Average stats > rendering never stabilize, it jumps up and down and i've have frame drops. It applies to Jinc and jumps from 6ms to 22ms. If I choose Bicubic it settles at around 18ms after a few seconds. If you need more information about my sys and settings, say so.
MSL_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 08:33   #30650  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
Neither of those worked. One slight difference I noticed was with the present queue is now stuck at 2-5/8 instead of the previous 1-4/8 on both builds. Here are the logs.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=...19334988377767
The first log makes sense, but the 2nd doesn't. The 2nd log indicates that it wasn't from the build 2 I intended you to test. Either I uploaded the wrong file, or you tested with the wrong file. To be safe, I've uploaded the 2nd build again:

http://madshi.net/madVR8810test4.rar

Could you please test this build again? Thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 09:00   #30651  |  Link
Braum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryX View Post
I was using upscaling refinement, but with the other option checked to do it only once. If I disable refinement, the double upscaling is gone.

It's using the right profile. NNEDI3 never worked on my computer, no matter the driver version, no matter if I reinstall Windows.

However... Jinc4 and Lanczos8 were removed, probably because NNEDI3 is a better alternative. But since I don't have NNEDI3, there are cases where Jinc4 and Lanczos8 serve me, so for now I'm better to stick to the old version.
I don't think it matters because your rig isn't powerfull enough to upscale with NNEDI.

I got a i5 3570@4,5Ghz and a 7870XT and to upscale 1280x720 to 1680x998 I can't use Double NNEDI 16x.

I can use NEDI in double and quadruple tough.
Braum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 10:27   #30652  |  Link
huhn

the file in question is 280p that pretty easy to double at least.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 13:56   #30653  |  Link
rack04

What aspects of a video card are important for madVR performance? I currently have a GTX 680 and get frame drops with NNEDI3, 64 neurons when upscaling 720p to 1440p. I'm considering upgrading to a GTX 970.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 14:25   #30654  |  Link
aufkrawall

This should work, I used it myself that way. With OpenCL 1.2 driver, performance is even said to be improved.
I'd not buy a Radeon for NNEDI3 because AMD hasn't fixed OpenCL -> D3D interop bug for ages now.

However, now with SuperRes, you can also achieve very good results without NNEDI3, as long as you aren't watching cartoons.

If you want to play games with the card, I'd wait for AMD's Fiji release which should make the 980 less expensive. VRAM of 970 is crippled in an odd way.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 14:52   #30655  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
VRAM of 970 is crippled in an odd way.
That is of no consequence for video. In fact, its of very little consequence in general.
Old 1st June 2015, 15:19   #30656  |  Link
petran79

Finally! Nvidia GTX660 Vsync issue on Windows XP has been solved with latest Madshi and Nvidia drivers 347.88
After almost 2 years wait!

After every Nvidia driver update on Windows XP and every new madshi release I tested videos but had the same issue:

June 2013:
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=18951

Originally Posted by petran79
for a few seconds or even for 1 minute, at that said scene "display" goes at 0000000 Hz instead of 59

Madshi:

Oh, that. Yeah, sounds like a GPU driver issue. madVR highly depends on being able to get up-to-date vsync information all the time. If the display goes to 0000000 Hz that means that the GPU driver isn't reliably providing vsync information. There's probably not much I can do about it, sadly...

This time Vsync seems to be stable at 60 hz at full screen (no exclusive mode), sometimes 61.

In windowed mode it fluctuates from 52-55 hz before stabilizing at 59-60, but never at 0 hz, thus not dropping frames

I can finally watch movies in good quality and without tearing on Windows XP like 3 years ago. Windows 7 is too sluggish.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 15:24   #30657  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
That is of no consequence for video. In fact, its of very little consequence in general.
I was explicitly referring to games, and consequences can be enormous (I tested this myself).
But not for video, sure. GTX 970 is a very reasonable card for madVR, probably the best (if you don't need native HEVC decoding).
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 18:45   #30658  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braum View Post
I don't think it matters because your rig isn't powerfull enough to upscale with NNEDI.

I got a i5 3570@4,5Ghz and a 7870XT and to upscale 1280x720 to 1680x998 I can't use Double NNEDI 16x.

I can use NEDI in double and quadruple tough.
I won't use NNEDI3 for 720p videos, but will definitely for 288p videos! Then I'd have to test whether it would also work on 480p content.

I'm curious. Why were Jinc4, Jinc8 and Lanczos8 deemed "bad" algorithms?

Btw, kind of off-topic, but yesterday I realized that in a video game (with latest Catalyst driver), performance was *higher* when using full-screen windowed mode than when in exclusive mode! Not sure why. I tried that in madVR. There doesn't seem to be any performance difference between windowed mode and exclusive mode; but switching into full screen is much faster.

Old 1st June 2015, 18:52   #30659  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

is anyone able to tell if windows 10 has positive or negative impact on madvr (nvidia (mobile)) performance?
Old 1st June 2015, 18:59   #30660  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
is anyone able to tell if windows 10 has positive or negative impact on madvr (nvidia (mobile)) performance?
Personally, I would not risk it just yet, at least wait for RTM. For desktops Win10 might be ok already, but mobiles have their own weird problems, even on an already stable and feature-complete OS.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling