Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd December 2015, 20:54   #34841  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That's just what the decoder reports, but not what madVR actually draws. Try frame stepping again, you should be seeing 24fps not 30fps.
Okay, so why does madVR not change the refresh rate to 24/1.001Hz or engage smooth motion (on a 60Hz display)? Forcing deinterlacing & film mode where it detects a 3:2 pattern on the clip seems to be the only way to get it to actually treat it like p23.976 content.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:26   #34842  |  Link
Warner306

Improving the anti-ringing of sharpen edges would be welcome. At 1080p -> 1080P, I like to use a small amount of sharpening to keep the appearance of the image consistent across all resolution profiles. I find sharpen edges looks the best when used alone because it doesn't alter image brightness, but it shimmers during panning scenes due to its ringing. It is really my last request after a year and a half of using madVR. Super sampling or another sharpening algorithm that resembles SuperRes would also be welcome.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:37   #34843  |  Link
Warner306

Also, I mentioned earlier that peak luminance should have a disclaimer next to this setting to the effect: "For HDR content mapping." Most people, like me, won't even know where to begin and would assume this applies to all content.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 00:22   #34844  |  Link
foozoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Improving the anti-ringing of sharpen edges would be welcome. At 1080p -> 1080P, I like to use a small amount of sharpening to keep the appearance of the image consistent across all resolution profiles. I find sharpen edges looks the best when used alone because it doesn't alter image brightness, but it shimmers during panning scenes due to its ringing. It is really my last request after a year and a half of using madVR. Super sampling or another sharpening algorithm that resembles SuperRes would also be welcome.
I agreed, supersampling is the best for sharpening.
This is why I still use avisynth at the moment.

@ madshi
I think it could be interesting to use upscaling refinement even without upscaling or add a similar option for post sharpening.
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 00:36   #34845  |  Link
Kirk Lazarus

MadTPG

I guys,
I'm running madVR 0.89.17 on a Pc with Win7 64bit.

I use this HTPC on an OLED UHD LG TV.
This tv do not support directly 0-255 levels so I set madVR to work in 16-235.

I've done a simple test...

I used Calman 5 and madTPG like pattern generator and measured a full 21 steps grey scale. the result is this:

After that I turned back in madvr >> "color & gamma"

and I set brightness to +50.

When I set +50 I've madvr displaying a near black flashing bar test pattern.
The +50 have an evident effect on the flashing bars ...

I turned back in madTPG and with Calman I performed another grey scale read ...

the result is identical like before!!

Maybe I found a bug?

or it is normal that a brightness setting do not effect the patches reproduced in madTPG ???

thank you all for any clarification.
Old 24th December 2015, 02:32   #34846  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
Your source filter simply doesn't deliver frames. I've told you before, the source filter should push frames until madVR blocks. But your source filter does not. There is NOTHING I can do to make the queues fill. It's the responsibility of your source filter. The key problem is that madVR's "delay" feature waits for frames to come from the source filter while the graph is still in paused mode. And in that mode it seems that your source filter doesn't send more than 1-2 frames. It only starts sending frames when playback in unpaused, and it never sends frames fast enough ("in advance") to allow the queues to fill.
Ah, I think I finally got it. Thanks for being patient with me. Also seems like setting an audio delay in MPC-HC doesn't help
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 10:57   #34847  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsu42 View Post
Is there some non-linear stretch option with MadVR I'm not finding in the various options ... i.e. like ffdShow warped resize or Cyberlink PanoVision(tm)(r)(c)(wtf)?

If not, would it be possible to implement this - the various tv sets all seem to have a 4:3->16:9 non-linear stretch feature as it's so convenient for watching older content on a newer wide-screen display. The catch with ffdShow is that it's software-only and is stuttering esp. when enabling other post filters.
madshi mentioned in the past that it might arrive but that it's not a priority for him. Personally I think that a configurable solution, as Lumagen scalers offer, can produce acceptable results by combining NLS with some cropping.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 12:45   #34848  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:

[code]
* fixed: DVD aspect ratio wasn't always shown correctly when using MPC-HC
Thanks a lot, it works now again.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 13:12   #34849  |  Link
bran

Hi guys, I have a question semi-related to madVR;

I have the flagship 65" JS9505 TV from Samsung, 10bit panel. Using HDMI via a Marantz SR6010 receiver and GTX980Ti so 10-bit and/or 4:4:4 RGB is supported.

However, seems like the current standard does not accept 4K @ 60Hz and RGB 4:4:4 coupled with 10-bit? At least I can't choose it in the nvidia control panel. If I go 4:2:2 I can choose 10 or 12bit.

What would your recommendations be? Go with 4K 60Hz RGB 4:4:4 8bit or Ycbcr 4:2:2 12bit (10bit in madVR)?
Not much (any) 10-bit content nowadays but in the future when HDR rec2020 comes, will that change the preferred settings?
Old 24th December 2015, 13:53   #34850  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

HDMI doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4K RGB 4:4:4 in 10-bit, only 8-bit, or lower refreshrate, or lower chroma.

Unless movies actually start being 60Hz or something at some point, using 24p in 10-bit is probably best.
Speaking of, I wonder if this is a viable setup and the resolution switcher can actually deal with it.... Switching between 60Hz 8-bit and 24Hz 10-bit automatically.
Old 24th December 2015, 14:25   #34851  |  Link
aufkrawall

According to AMD, there will be HDMI displays with FreeSync in Q1 2016.
Would it technically be a huge effort to change madVR's presentation logic to natively output the movie's framerate?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 14:37   #34852  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
According to AMD, there will be HDMI displays with FreeSync in Q1 2016.
Would it technically be a huge effort to change madVR's presentation logic to natively output the movie's framerate?
This has been answered plenty times in the context of GSYNC, which is really just the same, and the answer is yes. Presentation strongly relies on the V-SYNC interrupts for timing, which happens accurately in hardware.

madshi himself has also just recently said that his primary focus is on TVs or Projectors, not PC-focused displays, so unless a TV actually adopts something like this at some point....
Old 24th December 2015, 18:10   #34853  |  Link
Marsu42
Huba Huba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
madshi mentioned in the past that it might arrive but that it's not a priority for him.
Thanks for sparing me to search all forum posts :-) and I'll keep my fingers crossed that madshi will have pity on us sooner or later.

Now that I've tried ffdshow's nice, but slow version I'm really hooked to non-linear scale 4:3 or widescreen content to my 16:9 display ... but anything above sd resolution is a no go with my 2ghz dual-core. Esp. watching an old 4:3 tv series in widescreen is amazing.

Btw I also tried Cyberlink's version and it's horrible b/c zero config options how strong the distortion to the edges is to be. Their version shows that there is a large speed improvement possible over ffdshow though, that's why I wondered about MadVR.
Old 24th December 2015, 22:19   #34854  |  Link
bran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
HDMI doesn't have enough bandwidth for 4K RGB 4:4:4 in 10-bit, only 8-bit, or lower refreshrate, or lower chroma.

Unless movies actually start being 60Hz or something at some point, using 24p in 10-bit is probably best.
Speaking of, I wonder if this is a viable setup and the resolution switcher can actually deal with it.... Switching between 60Hz 8-bit and 24Hz 10-bit automatically.
Of course.. that thought never struck me. I could manually switch to 24p and 10/12bit when using madVR for movies! Hehe been so into getting everything to work that I overlooked that possibility

Would be awesome if this could be managed automagically
Old 24th December 2015, 23:53   #34855  |  Link
Nullack

Quote:

Apparently, amongst other things like dynamic metatdata support in HDMI 2.1, the future spec will support 10 Bpc 60Hz RGB in UHD res.

I would expect more films in UHD Blurays to be HFR - high frame rate - like what was offered in The Hobbit in cinemas.

In my test library of different video footage, all of my 60 FPS UHD HEVC content is from productions that are broadcast TV.

According to double blind studies its very difficult to see the difference in full chroma res vs chroma sub sampling for film content. Apparently the human eye is sensitive to black and white more than colour.

Cheers
Nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 23:59   #34856  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
According to double blind studies its very difficult to see the difference in full chroma res vs chroma sub sampling for film content. Apparently the human eye is sensitive to black and white more than colour.
Yes, in many scenes I literally can't tell the difference between bilinear chroma upscaling and NNEDI3-256. Someone did link a video where the difference is easily visible, however (if you pause it and look close, admittedly - but the difference isn't subtle), so it depends very much on the material.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 01:20   #34857  |  Link
firewater

When you change profile, an OSD message appears at the top left of the video mentioning which profile you've selected. Is there any way to hide this?
firewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 11:38   #34858  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:

I would expect more films in UHD Blurays to be HFR - high frame rate - like what was offered in The Hobbit in cinemas
Except that even in the cinema that's not the case. hobbit was the only movie where this was used so far. Unless more movies start using this in the cinema already, BDs also won't have it.
Old 25th December 2015, 15:15   #34859  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Except that even in the cinema that's not the case. hobbit was the only movie where this was used so far. Unless more movies start using this in the cinema already, BDs also won't have it.
And, notwithstanding directors' enthusiastic comments, I say good riddance. Watching "The Hobbit" in HFR has been such a pain for me that I enjoyed it so much more at home, watching it at 24fps... The scene where dwarves empty his food storage looked like a supermarket commercial in HFR.
Sorry for the off topic.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2015, 15:26   #34860  |  Link
Aktan

Quote:
Like Ver Greeneyes said, it really highly depends on the content. I know it is very noticeable on pixel art like NES games where 1 color is used on 1 pixel to show it's a light or something and the subsampling kills the color.
Aktan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling