Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 18th August 2017, 23:07   #44821  |  Link
arrgh

Intel Kaby Lake + Win 8.1x64

@Madshi
since you have several times advertised to use Win81 instead of Win10, I have given it a shot…

the problem obviously are the graphics drivers; Intel & MS decided to support KBL graphics only in Win10 (in my case HD620)…

but one can patch it (e.g new driver 154519.4678.zip)…
enter in file „igdlh64.inf“ (in folder „Graphics“), section…

;=====================================================================
; Windows 8.1 Install - DT Only
;=====================================================================
[IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.3]

The following line (for HD620):
%iKBLULTGT2% = iKBLD_w10, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5916

Then install manually (with switched-off driver signature) by choosing this igdlh64.inf.
It works up to the point where I get the same problems with “jumping” frames (both, in 2D and 3D) which was already addressed some month ago for Win10 (…an Intel driver issue). You were able to fix it for Win10.
I know you are deep into other things… but maybe now, since in principle you know what the basic problem is, it would be easier to fix it for Win81… (the very same driver 154519.4678.zip works for Win10)

Thanks
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017, 23:39   #44822  |  Link
el Filou

Thanks a lot to madshi and nevcairiel, DX11VA is awesome!
Now I can watch 4K without any dropped frames when with DXVA2CB it was just a slideshow.
Additionally, it shaves 2-3 ms off the rendering time while at the same time making the graphics card consume 5-10W less Vs. DXVA2N, which is nice considering the boost in chroma quality.

Something strange I've noticed: I'm using ReClock, and it seems like madVR in DX11VA mode makes it behave differently: it detects a different system clock, it (finally) sees the display as 23/59 Hz instead of 24/60 previously (but it always detected the actual refresh rate correctly), and - last but not least - madVR now reports it expects one frame drop every 1 day instead of every 2.2 hours with DXVA2.
Can anyone explain this?
I'll also ask in the ReClock forum.

I also am seeing the 'custom modes' tab appear for a very short moment and then disappear from the GUI. I'm using a Panasonic plasma in RGB Full 8-bit on HDMI through a Denon AVR, and they are setup as such in madVR. The Denon has only one output and is configured as Repeater, not Scaler. I have no other display connected.

I also am seeing crashes with NNEDI set as chroma upscaler. Do you still need more crash reports for this?
Old 18th August 2017, 23:42   #44823  |  Link
mv

@madshi
Seems that custom mode tab disappears once a Profile is created.
Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/ldO6Vsl
http://imgur.com/215bOEk

Otherwise works really good!
Thanks for your great work.
mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 00:22   #44824  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
-
One suggestion I have about your receiver and the native resolution being listed as 720p. I have a Denon receiver that does the same thing if you have the receiver's dual HDMI output set to both. If I set the receiver's HDMI output to only one (not dual) the receiver's native resolution detected by window's becomes 2160p.
Thanks, as already reported this was due to HDMI Zone 2 being on by mistake. Switching it off solved it.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 00:24   #44825  |  Link
egandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Are the profiles inside of the "device" section? Are they covering the "diaplay modes" tab?

Got it to work if I move the display modes out side of a Profile Group, if I put it in a profile group it disappears.

ERIC
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 00:46   #44826  |  Link
aufkrawall

D3D11VA and new HDR default setting work like a charm here for SDR output, both performance and visuals are great. Very impressive, thanks.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 03:08   #44827  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
Fixed the nVidia 3D Vision issue, so although it's not MadVR related I thought I'd share the solution to save you (and others) some time.

At first I tried to run the wizard in Windows 8 compatibility mode, but although it allowed to go further, it was still crashing. So I did some registry exploration and a bit of internet research. Here is the digest:

All the 3D Vision related keys are in =[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D] for x64 machines, and [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D] for x86 machines.

There are two registry keys that need to be set to make it possible to enable 3D vision without going through the wizard:

StereoVisionConfirmed
and
StereoViewerType

Both need to be set to 1.

For the nVidia control panel, this means that 3D is set-up and that the wizard doesn't need to be run.

Unfortunately, there are no registry keys to enable the 3D Stereoscopic Vision option itself in the panel, so you need to run the nVidia nvstlink.exe utility in \Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision (that's where I found it even on my x64 machine).

nvstlink.exe /enable will enable 3D in the control panel
nvstlink.exe /disable will disable 3D in the control panel

This switch doesn't work if the above registry keys haven't been changed to 1 first, at least here.

I don't know if this will stick but there is a batch file here https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...x-3d-settings/ that can be called to do all this (and more) automatically.

I've made a shorter version to just deal with the two registry keys and launch the nvstlink.exe /enable utility.

If it doesn't stick, I'll put that batch file in my startup folder or will launch it using the group policy / task scheduler, but before doing this I'd like to check if it's necessary or not (i.e. if the 3D disables itself or if it sticks).

Hopefully that will do until nVidia/MS fixes this more permanently.

Of course enabling 3D permanently works for me because I'm in 2160p23 by default, so unless I need to playback 3D there is no downsides to having 3D on permanently, as it will simply be enabled when I switch to 1080p23 for 3D playback.

Someone using 1080p will have to switch manually otherwise having 3D permanently on will be detrimental to PQ in 2D.

Not a permanent fix, but a decent workaround. Hope this helps!

[EDIT]: once the registry keys are set, you can actually enable/disable the 3D option in the nVidia control panel without using the utility (and without the buggy wizard insisting to run), but it looks like it's not sticky. Viewertype had changed again, so I have to re-change it.
Looks like I'll have to run the batch file at startup.

Does the 3D works for you when you do it from the Windows Display ? Enabling 3D doesn't work, only Disabling disables it from NVCP when you change it from the Windows Display menu.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 05:29   #44828  |  Link
ryrynz

X7007… don't quote an entire post that big ever.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 07:13   #44829  |  Link
austinminton

3D broken with latest Nvidia drivers

First I would like to thank madshi for the latest madvr release. HDR10 now works fine with the latest nvidia drivers (385.28 on gtx 1080), even in FSE. Automatic switching works flawlessly as well. I have finally moved from 378.92 as it seems all HDR problems are now fixed with the latest drivers.

Unfortunately 3D has stopped working with the latest drivers. I am able to enable stereoscopic 3D and run the wizard successfully. But once 3D is enabled MPC-HC crashes as soon as it goes to full screen. I have tried with both 3D and non-3D mkvs. Even 4K files which will not launch in a 3D resolution crash MPC instantly on going into full screen (if stereoscopic 3D is enabled in nvidia).

Another minor problem is that enabling 3D in OS doesn't enable nvidia's setting, so the madvr settings on auto enabling nvidia stereoscopic 3D is broken.

I have another PC with a gtx 1080 still on the old drivers (378.92) on which 3D works fine with madvr 0.92.1. Both PCs are on windows 10 creators update. My feeling is something has changed recently on the nvidia 3D drivers. I humbly request madshi to please look into this problem as madvr 3D is a great feature.

Thanks.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 09:07   #44830  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
As long as you're able to switch your display to HDR manually (or using a device like the HD Fury Linker/Integral/Vertex)
This is the part I don't think works (at least on my system, a GPU directly connected to an LG OLED C7). My display needs metadata to enable HDR mode and how do you make sure the metadata is the same as what madVR sends?

To make a calibration 3DLUT for HDR output from madVR's HDR processing I need to set my display to use madVR's "DCI-P3 at 1000 nits" metadata (or whatever is set in madVR) when measuring the patterns, however I don't know how to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv View Post
I've compared Calman HDR10 Workflow readings with profiled i1D3 between madTPG+manual HDR switch (launched a HDR video file and then collapsed the player window) and calibration patterns from R.Masciola's HDR-10 UHD Test Patterns disk. Result were pretty close not 100% identical though.

Even took a crazy attempt to create a 3DLUT but of course it was a total failure because of the display tonemapping (LG OLED) which couldn't be disabled at the moment.
Doesn't this cause the TV to use whatever metadata that video had, not the metadata madVR would send when using a 3DLUT?

We need the display's tone mapping, that is the entire point of HDR, but we want to "correct" its input (by using a 3DLUT to generate a specific fixed set of metadata) so that when sent to that particular display, at its current settings, it produces the best image, based on a meter.

While writing this it made me think of a (hopefully) simple addition to madTPG. A button to enable HDR mode.

Edit: Even with this button, CalMAN doesn't have an option to create madVR HDR 3DLUTs (as far as I can tell).

Last edited by Asmodian; 19th August 2017 at 09:13.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 11:21   #44831  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Does the 3D works for you when you do it from the Windows Display ? Enabling 3D doesn't work, only Disabling disables it from NVCP when you change it from the Windows Display menu.
The 3D in the OS needs to be enabled, but that alone doesn't enable 3D. It also need to be enabled in the nVidia control panel.

I've made a batch file (adapted from the one in the link in my earlier post) to fix the registry keys and enable 3D on the fly (without having to go through the buggy 3D wizard). I now run this batch file every time I switch my PJ to 3D with iRule, so 3D works for me 100% of the time, whether it was enabled or not in the nVidia control panel. I hit the 3D button on iRule, it runs the batch file to make sure 3D is enabled in the nVidia control panel, selects the 3D mode on my JVC (high lamp) and 3D works reliably (finally!). Of course not as good as a driver/OS fix, but a very acceptable temporary workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Unfortunately 3D has stopped working with the latest drivers. I am able to enable stereoscopic 3D and run the wizard successfully. But once 3D is enabled MPC-HC crashes as soon as it goes to full screen. I have tried with both 3D and non-3D mkvs. Even 4K files which will not launch in a 3D resolution crash MPC instantly on going into full screen (if stereoscopic 3D is enabled in nvidia).

Another minor problem is that enabling 3D in OS doesn't enable nvidia's setting, so the madvr settings on auto enabling nvidia stereoscopic 3D is broken.

I have another PC with a gtx 1080 still on the old drivers (378.92) on which 3D works fine with madvr 0.92.1. Both PCs are on windows 10 creators update. My feeling is something has changed recently on the nvidia 3D drivers. I humbly request madshi to please look into this problem as madvr 3D is a great feature.

Thanks.
See above. My rig is similar to yours (see my sig below) and I have no crash, but I still have to use FSE for 3D otherwise I get 2D, even if the display switches to 1080p23FP and MadVR OSD reports D3D11 (3D). The picture definitely isn't 3D without FSE. With FSE, no crash, all perfect, and that's with the latest drivers.

Last edited by Manni; 19th August 2017 at 11:29.
Old 19th August 2017, 12:36   #44832  |  Link
austinminton

Thanks for your response. I too have the same batch file to enable and disable 3D in nvidia. I checked the registry entries and they were already enabled. Probably by the nvidia 3D wizard. I will try a full clean install next to see if that solves the issue. Not sure if this is relevant but I use my TV (Sony 75Z9D) to playback 3D.

Edit: I use FSE for playback but have tried both with and without FSE with the same crash.

Last edited by austinminton; 19th August 2017 at 12:37. Reason: Added FSE
Old 19th August 2017, 12:51   #44833  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmm... So you're saying the custom mode seems to be effective for D3D11 FSE, only, but not for fullscreen windowed mode? How's non-fullscreen windowed mode? Would be nice if you could test all the variants and report which modes are effected by the custom mode and which are not. Please reboot the OS, just to be safe, before you do the tests. And it might make sense to make the custom mode extra weird, to get totally clear results. E.g. make it 23.700Hz instead of 23.976Hz, or something like that (if your display syncs to 23.700). Thanks!
Ok, I had some time to tinker around and here are my findings (I did a reset of madvr settings on a clean driver install with madvr custom mode enabled and optimized for 2160p23).

- D3D version isn't a factor in this issue, it happens the same way regardless of which version I'm choosing.
- Non fullscreen windowed behaves the same as fullscreen windowed .

However I did find something interesting regarding display modes. Here are the step to reproduce it on my setup :
- Windows is set @2160p60
- madvr is set up with the following options
  • support for automatic mode switching and revert to original mode on exit.
  • 2160p23 mode is listed in madvr as an acceptable mode
  • FSE isn't enabled
- Open a 23.976 fps video file
- madvr switches to 2160p23 (it is shown as being the active mode in the custom modes tab)
- stats after things settled down (stats NOT coherent with the optimizations previously made with the custom modes feature) :
  • refresh rate : 23.97971hz
  • clock deviation : -0.00035%
  • Frame repeat every 4.4min
- while the movie is still playing, go into madvr settings and enable FSE
- there is a visible display mode change occuring.
- stats after things settled down (stats coherent with the optimizations previously made with the custom modes feature) :
  • refresh rate : 23.9569hz
  • clock deviation : -0.00035%
  • Frame drop every 1.1hr
- while the movie is still playing go into madvr settings and disable FSE
- stats after things settled down are identical to these obtained after enabling FSE, 2160p23 is still shown as being the active mode in the custom modes tab.
- Exit the media player, the display mode goes back to 2160p60
- Open the movie again, back to the 2160p23 unoptimized mode.

Side note : if I disable the revert to original mode on exit option and while I do not switch display mode while in 2160p23 optimized, I can reopen another 23p file and play it without a hitch.

So it seems I do have 2 competings 2160p23 modes on my setup : an unoptimized one that is called by the madvr switcher or the windows settings (I tried launching the file while being already in 2160p23, no difference), and the optimized one produced by madvr which is called upon entering FSE.

Regarding the 23.700Hz test, how would I go about trying this refresh rate ? Using the custom modes feature ?

Anyway, I hope my explanations were clear enough !
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 12:53   #44834  |  Link
austinminton

It worked! I did a clean uninstall + reinstall of mpc-hc, madvr, lav filters and the nvidia drivers. Enabled stereoscopic 3D in nvidia which ran the wizard successfully. Enabled 3D in madvr and FSE. Opened 3D mkv and voila, TV switches to 3D and no crash! Thanks again for the responses, gave me the confidence it could be done and just something was wrong at my end. Not too sure what it was, but clean install did the trick.

Thanks again to madshi for this fantastic new release of madvr. Now we have full HDR + 3D support on the latest drivers.
Old 19th August 2017, 13:13   #44835  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinminton View Post
Thanks for your response. I too have the same batch file to enable and disable 3D in nvidia. I checked the registry entries and they were already enabled. Probably by the nvidia 3D wizard. I will try a full clean install next to see if that solves the issue. Not sure if this is relevant but I use my TV (Sony 75Z9D) to playback 3D.

Edit: I use FSE for playback but have tried both with and without FSE with the same crash.
The main difference is I use MPC-BE, so you might want to try that. [EDIT: sorry didn't see your message above, glad it works for you too now]

Last edited by Manni; 19th August 2017 at 14:09.
Old 19th August 2017, 14:06   #44836  |  Link
andybkma

Just a heads up, pressing stop in Zoom Player with new mVR 92.1 causes Zoom Player to intermittenly crash. Previous version mVR 91.11 no such problem.

A user on the Zoom Player forum has also reported this problem but for him it was a secondary monitor. For me, it crashes on my one monitor (which is hooked up via HDMI to a laptop so perhaps it is also a secondary monitor). Cheers

Last edited by andybkma; 19th August 2017 at 14:12.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 14:13   #44837  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
This is the part I don't think works (at least on my system, a GPU directly connected to an LG OLED C7). My display needs metadata to enable HDR mode and how do you make sure the metadata is the same as what madVR sends?
This is why I said "or using an HD Fury device such as the Integral/Linker/Vertex". Any of these will allow you to force any display into HDR mode, even if you feed it SDR content.

Easier and cheaper to wait for the announced HDR support in MadTPG if that would be your only use for one of these
Old 19th August 2017, 14:33   #44838  |  Link
jmonier

It also consistently crashes for me when pressing stop in Zoomplayer. This happens on either monitor when there are 2 (or probably more) active. It does not happen when only 1 monitor is connected. The crash location is within madVR.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 14:59   #44839  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Seems we now have a link with all these crash reports... multiple monitors. I too have a monitor and a TV active. I tried again last night and looked for any useful info on the crash, but alas Windows 10 only has a pop-up that says PotPlayer crashed and the program will close. The only link I see from the reports is multi-monitors, the applications are various (PotPlayer, Kodi, ZoomPlayer, MPC, etc etc)... I'm on Widows 10 and use D3D11 for presentation with FSE... I also use AMD's Custom Resolutions built into the Radeon Settings. What about the other people with these crashes? What other info?

QB
Old 19th August 2017, 15:17   #44840  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Seems we now have a link with all these crash reports... multiple monitors. I too have a monitor and a TV active. I tried again last night and looked for any useful info on the crash, but alas Windows 10 only has a pop-up that says PotPlayer crashed and the program will close. The only link I see from the reports is multi-monitors, the applications are various (PotPlayer, Kodi, ZoomPlayer, MPC, etc etc)... I'm on Widows 10 and use D3D11 for presentation with FSE... I also use AMD's Custom Resolutions built into the Radeon Settings. What about the other people with these crashes? What other info?

QB
Single display here (HDMI @ 4K)

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling