Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2008, 16:01   #2821  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rnivoro View Post
One more: As far as I understand, extracting "core" DTS from DTS-HD gives only 5.1 channels, right? I want to keep 6.1 (or 7.1 eventually) and reencode to DTS ES Discrete or Dolby Digital EX, the formats my Pioneer VSX-816 detects.
Core is standard DTS 5.1 @ 1536 kbps.

For keeping more channels (up 6.1 is possible with current decoders) you need to decode and re-encode the track.
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:11   #2822  |  Link
K-rnivoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Can you explain this better? I didn't understnd anything...
Re-read the edited post please.
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:24   #2823  |  Link
nautilus7

Well, there's no info about # of channels the truehd decoders output.

But, since we have a free truehd decoder, if it not supports more than 5.1. channels, it can in the future. I believe it would be easy for the developers to update the libav decoder with 6/7.1 support. All they 'll is such sample streams.

Do you actually have a truehd track with more than 6 channels?
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:25   #2824  |  Link
Jaja1

Sorry for the late reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does the EVO play perfectly (without even a hint of stuttering) on your PC? I'm
wondering whether PowerDVD eventually detects the incorrect VC-1 stream and just skips the damaged frame(s)?
But that should result in a little bit of skipping/stuttering.
I watched large parts of the Searchers using PDVD. No stutters or skipping at all, it plays back fine, both audio and video. So, if the stream is indeed somehow damaged, PDVD is not mislead by it. Pity, since PDVD is not the player I want.

BTW playback is improved using ffdshow as VC1 decoder. In fact it doesn't matter that much whether the libav codec or the WMV codec in ffdshow is used. The green garbled mess, that starts after a few seconds, is absent now. Audio is heavily distorted though. Same result with a total Sonic graph. Good video, bad audio. Converting eac3 to ac3 with eac3to results in a problematic ac3 track. So lots of things happening here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
So are your worries about VC-1 HD DVD movies gone now?
You bet! (for most of the titles )

Here is a sample from Robin Hood. Using Haali splitter video seems fine, however audio is distorted. Converting the eac3to track to ac3, this ac3 track has lots of strange noises in it. Here again the sample plays back fine in PDVD.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9nw2a4

Here is a sample from Unforgiven: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bwuj9r
Using Haali splitter and MS VC1 decoder, video is heavily distorted. Plays back fine in PDVD and using a Sonic chain in ZP. The video mess is not always present, some pieces of the movie are fine. Using ffdshow as VC1 decoder, there is no video distortion but video has strange speedups from time to time and audio goes wildly out of sync. See this sample for the speedup. http://www.sendspace.com/file/8s4vtx

Eac3to only sees the VC1 track and not the audio tracks in the original evo and the first sample. However the speedup sample coming from the middle of the movie gives the correct tracks with eac3to. So there might be some corruption at the beginning of the movie.
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:38   #2825  |  Link
K-rnivoro

Quote:
Do you actually have a truehd track with more than 6 channels?
No I don't, I was thinking on DTS-ES 6.1 tracks for the time being. I don't have any DTS ES 6.1 tracks to test eac3to outputting seven wavs files. You have a sample of a DTS ES 6.1 track?
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:40   #2826  |  Link
nautilus7

But, i already answered you that sonic can output 6.1 audio tracks.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:22   #2827  |  Link
K-rnivoro

Quote:
But, i already answered you that sonic can output 6.1 audio tracks.
Oh I got that Nautilus, I'm asking a 6.1 DTS ES sample to try on my Pioneer receiver and also encoding it to Dolby Digital EX.
Old 22nd January 2008, 18:28   #2828  |  Link
nautilus7

No, i don't have any 6.1 dts-es.
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:41   #2829  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

btw. I noticed that for some of the last times I converted a blu-ray LPCM track to flac I didnt get this message "this is problably a blu-ray (LP)PMC track. will re-map channels accordingly" or what it was. so is this normal, is everything still ok (I didnt experience any errors at plaback at least (on a 2 speaker system))?
Old 22nd January 2008, 21:43   #2830  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Just tested the latest version on a pair of EVOs that worked with version 2.14 (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), and I get an error "The VC-1 pulldown remover didn't receive the format information."
Any ideas?

Cheers, Beastie.

PS I'm afraid that I can't upload a sample for a while, I'm on a temporary dial-up connection and it's sloooow
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:03   #2831  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

btw. just a little info for those who want to use/convert the audio from the infernal affairs blu-ray: this movie runs at 24 fps and not 23.976. together with the lives of the others these are the only 2 movies with 24 fps ive encountered so far
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:09   #2832  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
Just tested the latest version on a pair of EVOs that worked with version 2.14 (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), and I get an error "The VC-1 pulldown remover didn't receive the format information."
Any ideas?

Cheers, Beastie.

PS I'm afraid that I can't upload a sample for a while, I'm on a temporary dial-up connection and it's sloooow
Me and another member had this problem. Look a few pages back. Madshi is aware of it.

Last edited by nautilus7; 22nd January 2008 at 22:16.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:28   #2833  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
EDIT: 2nd evo (original & rebuilt with evodemux) results in 100% playable/seekable mkv with both haali and vmr9 renderers.
And I've cut the first few MBs of the damaged EVO file and the rest of the sample behaves just fine for me. So the problems really seem to come from the damaged EVO beginning. It's the same with both Million Dollar and with Unforgiven. Both have corruption in the first second of the EVO file while the rest of the movie is just fine. I think PowerDVD just handles such problems better. But I really do think the EVO files are damaged. I don't know whether the damage comes from bad ripping (have you tried reripping) or whether it's an authoring fault of the studio.

P.S: Cutting the first few MBs of the EVO file is not as easy as it might sound. You have to cut at the right place, sadly...
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:34   #2834  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
The pulldown removal does save quite a bit of time for XBox 360 compatibility. After reading the thread linked above, I think that both the pulldown and interlaced flags need to be removed, so removing the pulldown flag is one step closer to BluRay compatibility. Or am I wrong here?
For Blu-Ray compatability the current solution is not good enough. But for Xbox 360 compatability seemingly it is, right? I don't think I'll add interlaced flag removal. That seems to be really difficult/dangerous. A little bug and the whole video gets screwed. No thanks...

Quote:
There have been a few posts regarding the speed of eac3to processing. Can I ask what kind of speeds you would expect for processing a movie. I have a Athlon X2 @ 2.5Ghz and read/write across 2 seperate HDDs (so not I/O bound) and, for a 2hr movie, it takes approx 1hr 20min to extract video and audio to wavs, and 1 hr if I do the audio only.
I don't see much speed difference between either Nero or libav decoders.
It's difficult to say if you ask eac3to to do multiple things at the same time. Currently there's some extra overhead because I'm always running the libav E-AC3 decoder in the background when you decode E-AC3 with Sonic or Nero. I'll remove that in the next build again to bring (hopefully) speed up to old levels.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:34   #2835  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
I also added a sample of syriana, its the same problem here. works with eac3to 2.14 and not with 2.16 in both cases.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BPUQ477M
Both samples mux perfectly fine to MKV on my PC. Are you sure that these samples don't work on your PC? What happens exactly for you?
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:44   #2836  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
I watched large parts of the Searchers using PDVD. No stutters or skipping at all, it plays back fine, both audio and video. So, if the stream is indeed somehow damaged, PDVD is not mislead by it. Pity, since PDVD is not the player I want.
I did watch large parts of it, too, until suddenly I had garbled output. It may only be one frame which is bad. My playback system doesn't seem to be able to recover from that. I guess that PowerDVD is just much better with hiding such imperfections.

Quote:
Converting eac3 to ac3 with eac3to results in a problematic ac3 track.
With which decoder and which eac3to version?

Quote:
Here is a sample from Robin Hood. Using Haali splitter video seems fine, however audio is distorted.
With which audio decoder?

Quote:
Converting the eac3to track to ac3, this ac3 track has lots of strange noises in it.
With which audio decoder?

The Robin Hood sample seems to behave just fine with the latest eac3to build (v2.16) with both Nero and libav decoders. No problems with the audio tracks in that sample, as far as I can see/hear. Tested only audiotrack 1, though.

Quote:
Here is a sample from Unforgiven: http://www.sendspace.com/file/bwuj9r
Using Haali splitter and MS VC1 decoder, video is heavily distorted. Plays back fine in PDVD and using a Sonic chain in ZP. The video mess is not always present, some pieces of the movie are fine.
It's the same as with Million Dollar. The EVO file seems to be damaged during the first second of playback. The rest of the sample is just fine.

Have you tried reripping?

Quote:
Using ffdshow as VC1 decoder, there is no video distortion but video has strange speedups from time to time and audio goes wildly out of sync. See this sample for the speedup. http://www.sendspace.com/file/8s4vtx
With eac3to v2.16 I can remux this to MKV and the resulting MKV plays perfectly fine including audio with no artifacts and no speedup. I had to edit the EVO a bit, though, cause it was cut in such a way that the video started at the middle of a frame. As a result eac3to didn't detect the video stream.
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:44   #2837  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
btw. I noticed that for some of the last times I converted a blu-ray LPCM track to flac I didnt get this message "this is problably a blu-ray (LP)PMC track. will re-map channels accordingly" or what it was. so is this normal, is everything still ok (I didnt experience any errors at plaback at least (on a 2 speaker system))?
Depends on how you demuxed the LPCM track. The remapping message should appear if you demuxed with xport. If you demux by using Haali's filters, the message will not appear. Hopefully Haali's filters then remapped the channels correctly. Don't know about that...

Quote:
btw. just a little info for those who want to use/convert the audio from the infernal affairs blu-ray: this movie runs at 24 fps and not 23.976. together with the lives of the others these are the only 2 movies with 24 fps ive encountered so far
Can I have a sample, pretty please?
Old 22nd January 2008, 22:59   #2838  |  Link
Richum

v2.16 breaks file recognition

I installed v2.16, I just extracted to the v2.14 directory and allowed overwrite all, then eac3to -test showed nero, sonic and MKVsplitter not installed. MKVtoolnix installed. OK so just reinstall the programs I thought.

Uninstalled the Matroska Splitter rebooted re-installed the splitter, still not recognized.

So I just extracted v.2.14 eac3to.exe and allowed it to overwrite v.2.16 eac3to.exe only and changed nothing else, now nero, matroska and sonic are recognized again.

It seemed to me that after re-installing Matroska and it not working that it was pointless to try the others.

So what is the proper upgrade procedure to avoid this?
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:04   #2839  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

eac3to v2.17 released

http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

Code:
* fixed VC-1 pulldown removal
* VC-1 pulldown removal must now be activated by the new option "-stripPulldown"
* improved VC-1 gap/overlap detection
* new option "-ignoreGaps" disables VC-1 gap/overlap detection
* libav E-AC3 decoder background decoding removed again
Hopefully the improved gap/overlap detection will now only fire if there's *REALLY* a gap somewhere. If all else fails, you can disable the gap/overlap detection now by using the new option "-ignoreGaps". When doing this you should get a MKV file which is roughly identical to what eac3to v2.14 had output. The only differences should be that (1) v2.17 should be noticably faster cause it does everything in one step while v2.14 needed two steps. And (2) With v2.17 there's no fps stored in the MKV header, sadly. Shouldn't be a big problem, though. And maybe (3) the v2.17 MKV could be ever so slightly more fluid? But I don't really think so.

So please test again with some VC-1 movies. Please check whether eac3to posts any warnings about gaps/overlaps in the video track. Hopefully not. Also, does anybody have the USA HD DVD of Phantom of the Opera? I really would like to have that tested cause it didn't work with v2.14, but should work now with v2.15-17.
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:06   #2840  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richum View Post
I installed v2.16, I just extracted to the v2.14 directory and allowed overwrite all, then eac3to -test showed nero, sonic and MKVsplitter not installed.
You're the 2nd person who reports this problems. Anybody else? To be honest, I've not the slightest idea why v2.16 doesn't work for you. Could you please retry v2.17?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to