Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th December 2019, 05:45   #58221  |  Link
JoelArt

Does anyone know if its possible to get stutter free or perfectly smooth 3:2 pulldown for 24p with a 60hz refreshrate on a PC with an Nvidia card. This would be super nice on my Sony Z9F as it can extract and do frame interpolation of 24 sources in 60hz streams, but so far all player and renderers I've tried will skip frames and render the pulldown unevenly and thus confusing the Motionflow algorithm making panning a frustrating stutter.

I know I can change the refresh rate to get smooth playback but then the mouse movement and windows will feel super sluggish and switching between refresh rates is super annoying manually, and even if I set up the player to do it automatically the whole screen goes black for a moment making jumping in and out a video to check something in a browser, eg a word or an actor/ess really jarring. I quite often have a show or a movie in progress but minimized while I work on other stuff where 60hz is required, it would a sooo incredibly nice to be able to keep the refreshrate at all times.

Is this possible?

PS. the MPC-HC Sync Renderer comes pretty close to a perfect 3:2 pulldown but it still stutter too often.

Last edited by JoelArt; 25th December 2019 at 05:48.
JoelArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2019, 13:28   #58222  |  Link
Msarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
Is this possible?
You could try:
- Enabling Smooth Motion in MadVR.
- Using ReClock as your audio renderer. It's only 32-bit, though.
Msarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2019, 20:56   #58223  |  Link
VBB

Smooth motion is the way to do this, but I'd only recommend this on an OLED. It does make motion ever so slightly more blurry, which helps with the stutter on the super fast OLED panels. Try it on the LCD and see if you like it.
Old 25th December 2019, 23:11   #58224  |  Link
el Filou

If JoelArt's TV can really reconstruct 24p from 3:2 60p, then it may be better for him to try and get perfect 3:2 playback using a custom resolution or ReClock than with Smooth Motion.
Old 25th December 2019, 23:13   #58225  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Most modern TVs can do that, but madVR is not designed to offer that perfect 3:2 pattern - and madshi said as much.
Old 26th December 2019, 03:02   #58226  |  Link
JoelArt

I've tried the smooth motion in madVr but the blended frames disturbs my TV's motion interpolation algo. and you still kinda get stutter so it's not a good solution. I tried ReClock but I haven't found any setting in it that works with potplayerm MPC-HC or BE versions. Does someone know how to set up perfect working ReClock with any of those?
Old 26th December 2019, 04:36   #58227  |  Link
Zenvota

Any news on convergence correction?
Zenvota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 06:17   #58228  |  Link
VBB

Quote:
I've tried the smooth motion in madVr but the blended frames disturbs my TV's motion interpolation algo. and you still kinda get stutter so it's not a good solution.
If you need to use interpolation, smooth motion is not for you. They don't go together.
Old 26th December 2019, 12:01   #58229  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

I wish if smooth motion could be more refined, less blur and more natural look like multiple x24 refresh rate...and less sharpness loss.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 12:26   #58230  |  Link
huhn

as said many times before everything that changes the results will make it mathematical incorrect.

the not neutral look, blur and sharpness loss are just a problem of your screen.

smooth motion will never be able to beat frame rate matching at best you will not see the difference but your device has to be up to this task.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 12:41   #58231  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
I tried ReClock but I haven't found any setting in it that works with potplayerm MPC-HC or BE versions. Does someone know how to set up perfect working ReClock with any of those?
What do you mean no settings that work? ReClock is automatic. Its icon should turn yellow and it should say something like "Cannot sync this CINEMA video to your hardware, but to improve playback media will be played at 24.000 fps".
Old 26th December 2019, 13:05   #58232  |  Link
Morgin187

Hey folks. I've been trying so many settings but cant get rid of colour banding. My question is what settings in Madvr, TV (samsung qled) and pc effect colour banding and artifacts in dark scenes (purple'ish box's). I've tried everything. please help
Morgin187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2019, 13:28   #58233  |  Link
JoelArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
What do you mean no settings that work? ReClock is automatic. Its icon should turn yellow and it should say something like "Cannot sync this CINEMA video to your hardware, but to improve playback media will be played at 24.000 fps".
Ah yes I get that with ReClock as well but the frame cadence isn't stable and my Motionflow stutters a lot.

But I might have finally found a working solution: In PotPlayer 32-bit, if I install (don't know if its build in but I have it installed) and use AviSynth and put this in the script:
Code:
potplayer_source()
ChangeFPS(30)
I get a very stable frame cadenced and far and few stutters. So it seem I now can keep my desktop refresh rate at 60hz and watch 24p movies as I wished for. I have tried it on a couple of movies, aniem and even with HDR and madVR and it seem to work just fine but I need more testing to be sure.

Last edited by JoelArt; 26th December 2019 at 14:20.
Old 26th December 2019, 16:45   #58234  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
your device has to be up to this task.
By device you mean monitor or video card?
Old 26th December 2019, 18:32   #58235  |  Link
VBB

He means the display. Having used smooth motion myself for about half a year now, I can say that, at least on my OLED, it does not alter the original look at all. And like I said earlier, the slight blur is welcome, because without it, OLED motion is too harsh at 24Hz. In order for smooth motion to work, you have to disable all interpolation and pull-down/cadence processing, and of course run everything at 60Hz.
Old 26th December 2019, 19:11   #58236  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
He means the display. Having used smooth motion myself for about half a year now, I can say that, at least on my OLED, it does not alter the original look at all. And like I said earlier, the slight blur is welcome, because without it, OLED motion is too harsh at 24Hz. In order for smooth motion to work, you have to disable all interpolation and pull-down/cadence processing, and of course run everything at 60Hz.
That's true, I'm using a refresh rate of 72 hz with reclock on a monitor, tested 2 days ago smooth motion on 60 hz, and it felt little weird to me. But as huhn said, in one review I read that my monitor has mediocre motion handling...

Last edited by Siso; 26th December 2019 at 20:25.
Old 27th December 2019, 01:22   #58237  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post
Having used smooth motion myself for about half a year now, I can say that, at least on my OLED, it does not alter the original look at all. And like I said earlier, the slight blur is welcome, because without it, OLED motion is too harsh at 24Hz.
It's noticeable to me on mine. It was most noticeable on animated content which is also where I noticed it more on my plasma too. The overall crispness of the picture was slightly dulled making it less vibrant and less pleasing to look at. I didn't think it would matter as much on an OLED based on Asmodian's testimony of the same but the difference to me is rather apparent. I'll sacrifice the motion smoothing in this case.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019, 02:18   #58238  |  Link
VBB

What I mean by original look is there is no interpolation applied with smooth motion. SM only blends frames. It does nothing else to the picture.
Old 28th December 2019, 04:11   #58239  |  Link
WuNgUn

Whenever I'm watching a movie, and subtitles come on, I get a stutter and then playback just starts dropping frames....
If I stop and restart, playback is fine again, until subs are shown again.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
WuNgUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 14:34   #58240  |  Link
huhn

if you use the new subtitle interface then there is little you can do about it to really fix it.

madVR knows there are subtitles but it doesn't prepare to render them the needed rendersteps are not loaded and when it has to display subs is has to do this instantly which is not possible under all situations and after that it buffers them it will stop after a while if subtitles aren't shown for a long time so the issue can happen more then one time per file.

you can try small queue a different subtitle renderer like xy vsfilter and settings that doesn't make your GPU do much work so it maybe fast enough to avoid the dropping of frames.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling