Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Development

Old 25th January 2015, 20:08   #1161  |  Link
mike20021969

Is there a new stable round the corner?
mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 20:15   #1162  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hello,

Microsoft have just released a new version of Win 10 Pro (Build 9926). And now when I run LameXP I see the following: -

Sufficed to say, after pressing the 'ok' button, LameXP runs okay...

Cheers
Old 25th January 2015, 20:29   #1163  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Microsoft have just released a new version of Win 10 Pro (Build 9926). And now when I run LameXP I see the following

So, "Windows 7" is 6.1, "Windows 8" is 6.2, "Windows 8.1" is 6.3, but "Windows 10" is... 10.0 - at least in the latest preview build, it appears!

Order #1 for all Microsoft employees:
Invent the most stupid and inconsistent versioning scheme and, once everybody has gotten used to it and has implemented the required workarounds, let's break it once again by making it "sane" all of a sudden

Anyway, I will fix it for the next build. Also the mixed up title/text in that message box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
Is there a new stable round the corner?
Yes, but there are a few things that I want to address first. Also, my free time is more limited than ever before now. So there is no ETA yet...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 25th January 2015 at 20:42.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 20:46   #1164  |  Link
mike20021969

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Yes, but there are a few things that I want to address first. Also, my free time is more limited than ever before now. So there is no ETA yet...
No worries. Thanks.

mike20021969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 15:09   #1165  |  Link
Dogway

After a year your program becomes a PITA, showing a warning that I need to update, a stupid music sounds, and 10 seconds of my life down the drain.

Pair that with the (again) stupid decision of auto-labeling the output files, and you start to wonder if programmers want to ease your life or make it more complicated.

I leave this here so people know what to abide by. I think I am going back to a version prior to this "feature" (if there was one).
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 16:15   #1166  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
After a year your program becomes a PITA, showing a warning that I need to update, a stupid music sounds, and 10 seconds of my life down the drain.
I have to agree...

LameXP has an option to deactivate all update reminders. When I have selected this option then I really really do not want to be reminded for updates, even after more than a year.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2015, 19:47   #1167  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:

Pair that with the (again) stupid decision of auto-labeling the output files, and you start to wonder if programmers want to ease your life or make it more complicated.

I leave this here so people know what to abide by. I think I am going back to a version prior to this "feature" (if there was one).
Sigh. Yes, if (and only if) you have not updated the program for more than a whole year, then the update reminder becomes little more emphatic. And that is intentionally! People tend to be lazy when it comes to updates, so a little "motivation" is needed. If you really think that spending three minutes for updating the program once per year is asking too much - and let's not forget that the user interaction required during the update process is next to nothing - then I'm out of ideas.

Why would you want to stick with a version that is more than year old? During this year a lot of effort has been made to further improve the program. Why do you want to ignore all these efforts? If there is any understandable reason to stick with an outdated version, then it would be regressions in the current version. But, in that case, I highly recommend that you report the regressions which you have encountered, so that we can (hopefully) sort them out ASAP.

Last but not least, remember that is FOSS. So if you REALLY wanted to permanently stick with an old version for whatever reason, or should development ever be discontinued (which I currently have no plans for!), then you could simply remove the update reminder from the source code. I won't give you any specifics (and I beg others to not do this either!), but the required change would be minimal. Even with rudimentary programming skills you could figure this out in a minute or so.

(Addendum: There are various "freeware" sites out there, which are still distributing versions of my software that are many years old! These versions don't represent the current development state of the software at all and I don't want people to get the wrong impression. Consequently, we need to make sure that even those people, which happen to stumble upon an extremely old version of the program, will quickly be "upgraded" to a somewhat recent version)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 10th February 2015 at 20:39.
Old 10th February 2015, 22:14   #1168  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Jeez...

Don't you just love people who moan about 'free-ware' software. Yep, you just want to get-out there and give them all a big squishy hug... Yep, you really do!
Old 11th February 2015, 05:10   #1169  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks this is not a dictatorship and I can voice my opinion : )
That's why I will state the same words in the videohelp review comments. You @SeeMoreDigital are free to like or dislike them, but I will just say, this is the first time in my life a program insists on updating so annoyingly. I'm sorry for not being in the OCD update spiral, some people simply know when enough is good enough.
Old 11th February 2015, 20:20   #1170  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You are free to express your opinion. But I think you are way exaggerating things here. You still haven't explained what exactly you are complaining about: Why are you refusing to update to a somewhat reason version so eagerly? I assume that it can not be because the update process takes too long or because it is too much complicated - this can almost certainly be excluded. So it leaves two options: Either you want to stick with the deprecated version, because the new version has some problem that didn't exist in the old version, or you are complaining for purely "ideological" reasons. In the former case, I suggest you report the problem, so we (hopefully) can sort it out. In the latter case there is no way to make it right for you.

BTW: It is perfectly normal that software products will reach "end of life" after a certain period, at which point an update to a recent version is obligatory. Only that with most commercial products you'll have to pay to get an up-to-date version, while LameXP is free software and thus the update is offered to you 100% free of charge. Most people know how to appreciate this service.
Old 11th February 2015, 21:52   #1171  |  Link
Dogway

"so we can...", mandatory updates, EOL, 100% free of charge, service... isn't that a bit of megalomaniac? There's more than black or white, it's for both reasons, and I wrote them as a review in VideoHelp. I'm not going to ask or bug report (complain in you vocabulary) anything anymore after the way I was treated here before (censored and banned). I haven't seen you give in a single thing anyone told you in this thread, that speaks for itself.

I came only to let people know about the infamous 1 year update reminder.
At least and surprisingly is open-source, so that's something.

Last edited by Dogway; 11th February 2015 at 22:07.
Old 11th February 2015, 22:28   #1172  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
"so we can...", mandatory updates, EOL, 100% free of charge, service... isn't that a bit of megalomaniac?
Yeah, developing a software in your free time over a period of 10+ years and offering that software to everybody 100% free of charge is... megalomaniac

(If somebody offers free vanilla ice to you on a hot summer day, you are probably going to complain that you like chocolate better and ask why that moron does not offer chocolate ice for free)

Quote:
I came only to let people know about the infamous 1 year update reminder.
At least and surprisingly is open-source, so that's something.
You are complaining about something that only happens under extremely rare circumstances, i.e. when somebody really hasn't update the software for more than a whole year. Something that a responsible-minded user, who at least makes some effort to keep his software up-to-date, is never going to see. And, despite all of this, you a trying make it sound as if it was such a "big" affair - while in fact it's barely worth mentioning. Finally, you haven't been able to give any kind of explanation why in the world you are so eagerly refusing to update to a somewhat recent version. Consequently, I'm just going to take this for what it is: Complaining as a pastime, with no honest interest in resolving or improving anything.

(Telling the world that this software is going to remind you that you haven't updated your software for more than a whole year, iff indeed you haven't updated your software for more than a whole year, is like announcing that the sky is blue)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th February 2015 at 22:46.
Old 11th February 2015, 22:44   #1173  |  Link
Dogway

You seem to ignore the fact that a program update, like new programs can be "game changers". That in a production environment is consumed time (for learning the new rules), and that equals to money. Maybe NASA prefers using DOS based OS, banks are content with XP, and some users are fine using a certain program build because they have no time to update the 200 programs they have on their computer, or simply fits their necessities.
You don't have to make a fuss of it, I came here, voiced my opinion, over. There's no more to it. Learn to accept critics, or opinions ("complains" in your vocabulary).
Old 11th February 2015, 22:59   #1174  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You are not criticizing anything, that's the problem! When asked why exactly you eagerly want to stick with the old outdated version and/or what problems are preventing you from using the up-to-date version, you are not delivering any explanations whatsoever. Thus I have to assume that you haven't even tried the new version. So you are obviously not interested in getting any real problems fixed, because you have not encountered any real problem. Instead, you are complaining that the program is reminding you that you missed updating the program for more than a whole year, when indeed you missed updating the program for more than a whole year. This is like hurting yourself with a hammer and then complaining that it hurts!

So either report a real problem, make a constructive suggestion, or stop flooding this thread...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th February 2015 at 23:10.
Old 12th February 2015, 00:11   #1175  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Given the amount of choice in open source audio apps, the easiest solution to disliking a developer's personal style is to use another. It should be obvious by now that arguing about unusual design decisions won't ever change Mulder's mind, and that's a general truism for any single-developer software, no matter how right you think you are. It's their baby, after all.

Move on, let it go, you literally can't win.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015, 01:36   #1176  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
It should be obvious by now that arguing about unusual design decisions won't ever change Mulder's mind, and that's a general truism for any single-developer software, no matter how right you think you are. It's their baby, after all.

Move on, let it go, you literally can't win.

To make it clear: It's perfectly okay, if somebody expresses a different opinion. And if he/she has convincing arguments, I have no problem with accepting suggestions, as it has happened so many times before. But it definitely is not acceptable, if somebody comes along and proclaims what is "wrong" in my software, as if his opinion was a fact (which it is not!), or what I ought to change in my software, as if he was my boss (which he is not!). Furthermore, if he actually came here with goal to improve the software (not just for ranting), he would try convince me. And you convince people with convincing arguments. You do not convince people by repeating the same complaints over and over again, while refusing to provide any details. You do not convince people by ignoring explanations that have been given to you. And you certainly do not convince people by blackmail ("either you do what I want or I'm going to spread defamation about your software"). More than enough said.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 24th February 2015 at 19:19.
Old 17th February 2015, 21:17   #1177  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

LameXP v4.11 RC-1
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame...8.exe/download

Quote:
Changes between v4.10 and v4.11 [unreleased]:
* Upgraded build environment to Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 with Update-4
* Updated Qt runtime libraries to v4.8.7 snapshot-4 (2015-02-16), compiled with MSVC 12.0
* Starting with this version, LameXP is based on the MUtilities library + massive code clean-up
* Updated MediaInfo to v0.7.72 (2015-01-07), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated SoX to v14.4.2-Git (2012-10-06), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated Opus libraries to v1.1.x and Opus-Tools v0.1.9 to latest Git Master (2014-10-04)
* Updated mpg123 decoder to v1.21.0 (2014-10-11), compiled with GCC 4.9.1
* Updated Vorbis encoder to OggEnc v2.87 (2014-06-24), using libvorbis v1.3.4 and aoTuV b6.03_2014
* Updated Vorbis decoder to OggDec v1.10.1 (2014-06-25), using libVorbis v1.3.4
* Updated FLAC encoder/decoder to v1.3.1 (2014-11-26), compiled with ICL 15.0 and MSVC 12.0
* Updated GnuPG to v1.4.18 (2014-06-30), compiled with GCC 4.9.1
* Updated QAAC add-in to the latest to QAAC v2.44, including a fix for the --artwork option
* Fixed potential crash in Cue Sheet importer (occurred when all input files were missing)
* Fixed a severe performance bottleneck, especially with a large number of parallel instances
* Fixed a very rare problem that, occasionally, prevented the TEMP folder from being removed
* The limit for the maximum number of parallel instances has been increased to 32
* Experimental support for Windows 10 Technical Preview
Old 17th February 2015, 21:42   #1178  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

LameXP v4.11 RC-1 · Build #1678 (2015-02-17)

I'm happy to report that this version launches without any errors using Win 10 Pro (Build 9926)
Old 27th February 2015, 17:01   #1179  |  Link
kadajawi

Question: I want to convert the soundtrack of TV episodes into Opus, and they are in surround. The way I understand it the bitrate setting you use for Opus in LameXP is the overall bitrate... at which point having 256 kbit as the maximum is a bit low for 6 channels...? Any way to go higher?
kadajawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 17:34   #1180  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadajawi View Post
Question: I want to convert the soundtrack of TV episodes into Opus, and they are in surround. The way I understand it the bitrate setting you use for Opus in LameXP is the overall bitrate... at which point having 256 kbit as the maximum is a bit low for 6 channels...? Any way to go higher?
It's not currently possible. But I could allow for even higher Opus bitrate in future versions, if there actually is demand for it.

(BTW: Did you actually try 256 kbps for your source and result was not satisfying?)

Tags
aac, aotuv, flac, lame, lamexp, mp3, mp4, ogg, oggenc, opus, vorbis