Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd September 2018, 18:04   #23001  |  Link
clsid

You can set a source filter as preferred with this registry key:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.ts]
"Source Filter"="{B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}"
Value in above example is for LAV Splitter Source.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:05   #23002  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You can set a source filter as preferred with this registry key:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Media Type\Extensions\.ts]
"Source Filter"="{B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}"
Value in above example is for LAV Splitter Source.
Well, I set it as preferred internally in MPC, but didn't help.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:21   #23003  |  Link
clsid

That usually doesn't work as expected for source filters because the above overrides the merit system.
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:32   #23004  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
That usually doesn't work as expected for source filters because the above overrides the merit system.
Well, the internal LAV filter is loaded instead of what I have set so I'm not so sure this is the case.
Anyways, making the change to the registry key doesn't seem to change anything.
Old 2nd September 2018, 18:55   #23005  |  Link
clsid

Can you upload the SmartDVB filter somewhere?
Old 2nd September 2018, 19:00   #23006  |  Link
mkver

I have now downloaded and tested SmartDVB64 myself:
1. If I open the file via Open Media File, all of your files play well regardless of whether I use LAV or Microsoft's splitter/decoder. Even the MS splitter+LAV decoder is good.
2. If I use LAV's decoder and play via "Play Transport Stream DVB file", SmartDVB uses its own source filter and I get stutters with your two sports video, but not with the National Geographic documentary.
3. If I remux the bicycle race file so that each of the fields is in its own PES packet (with own timestamps), the additional stutters that one saw in 2. are gone. Here is the file. Note: The procedure I used to create said file unfortunately also increased the pts to dts offset a bit, but I don't think that this is important.
4. I also tested LAV 0.69 (that's before LAV decoder decided to not parse when connected to LAV filters) and it doesn't differ from more recent versions.
The differing behaviour of 2. and 3. confirms my suspicion that it is a result of there being two fields with only one timestamp.
I don't know why the National Geographic file seems to work; it could be because ffmpeg is able to guess the pts of the second field. Or it could be that we don't see the stutters because the video content is actually progressive. Or it could be because the National Geographic file uses only two reorder frames, whereas the bicycle race file uses three. I don't know. Hopefully SmartDVB's developers can find out more.
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2018, 19:32   #23007  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkver View Post
I have now downloaded and tested SmartDVB64 myself:
1. If I open the file via Open Media File, all of your files play well regardless of whether I use LAV or Microsoft's splitter/decoder. Even the MS splitter+LAV decoder is good.
2. If I use LAV's decoder and play via "Play Transport Stream DVB file", SmartDVB uses its own source filter and I get stutters with your two sports video, but not with the National Geographic documentary.
3. If I remux the bicycle race file so that each of the fields is in its own PES packet (with own timestamps), the additional stutters that one saw in 2. are gone. Here is the file. Note: The procedure I used to create said file unfortunately also increased the pts to dts offset a bit, but I don't think that this is important.
4. I also tested LAV 0.69 (that's before LAV decoder decided to not parse when connected to LAV filters) and it doesn't differ from more recent versions.
The differing behaviour of 2. and 3. confirms my suspicion that it is a result of there being two fields with only one timestamp.
I don't know why the National Geographic file seems to work; it could be because ffmpeg is able to guess the pts of the second field. Or it could be that we don't see the stutters because the video content is actually progressive. Or it could be because the National Geographic file uses only two reorder frames, whereas the bicycle race file uses three. I don't know. Hopefully SmartDVB's developers can find out more.
Hi!

Thanks for the info. Indeed the Open Media File doesn't use the same filter chain. When viewing tv channels LAV cannot be used.

The big question is, why does the issue only present itself when I use LAV for deinterlacing. When using a different decoder, or turn off deinterlacing (and use madVR, EVR deinterlacing) the issue doesn't present itself. It might be a LAV bug yet.
Old 2nd September 2018, 19:35   #23008  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Can you upload the SmartDVB filter somewhere?
Here's the filters folder (Most recent version):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gF...a8Zc2_2oslNLgE
Old 2nd September 2018, 22:09   #23009  |  Link
VictorLS

About https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=22960 and from https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=22982 to https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...ostcount=23011
I've spent evening to get positive result of playing Zee TV20180716-203544.ts in Win7x64 with MPC-HC and app SmartDVB https://www.videohelp.com/download/AviSynth_260.exe and https://www.videohelp.com/download/f...0929_clsid.exe and yadif17.zip in the bottom of https://avisynth.org.ru/yadif/yadif.html
Unpack yadif.dll at root of disk C. In LAV Video Decoder set Deinterlacing mode Disabled (Progressive)
add in SmartDVB's Connection, Video Process (or in External filters of MPC-HC) ffdshow raw video filter
with my Avisynth script there:
LoadCPlugin("C:\yadif.dll")
ffdShow_source()
AssumeFieldBased()
Weave()
Yadif(mode=3,opt=3,order=-1)
PS. For ТНТ HD20180722-203510.ts I had to use None hardware acceleration instead of NVIDIA CUVID to get sync audio and video.
PPS. Bad thing is not automatic switching between ordinary and half vertical sized files - that's why I wanted to LAV Video Decoder could process such streams.

Last edited by VictorLS; 3rd September 2018 at 18:31.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 07:50   #23010  |  Link
Plutotype

Hi folks,
Just wondering, is it possible to support HDR10plus content or its the same situation as with Dolby Vision on a LAV/MADVR based HTPC? I mean passing through the dynamic HDR metadata to HDMI and display.
Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 10:20   #23011  |  Link
mclingo

Not sure it makes sense to put any work into this right now, HDR is still in flux, probably better to wait a couple of years to see which versions win out before spending time coding for this.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 22:28   #23012  |  Link
Megalith

Is there any real point to hardware acceleration if you already have a powerful CPU and GPU?

I've been dealing with an issue in which my CPU/motherboard will make "chirping" noises during playback of 4K video. Turning off video acceleration and stressing the CPU seems to make it go away.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 22:38   #23013  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Hardware accelerated decoding (which mainly means, letting the GPU help at least partially in the decoding) is less important if your CPU alone is powerful enough for software-only decoding, but it can make a difference if your CPU alone is a bit late in cases of complex and high-resolution video. If your GPU supports (at least partial) decoding of this specific video format.

Chirping noise is already a known issue. You could search for it.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 15:18   #23014  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.72.0-12 and newer have experimental support for AV1 decoding using libaom - software only, of course.
https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/LA...-0.72.0-12.exe

It is planned to replace the libaom decoder with a ffmpeg built-in decoder once that becomes available, hopefully later this year.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th September 2018 at 15:20.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 16:28   #23015  |  Link
clsid

Awesome.
Old 12th September 2018, 16:30   #23016  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That build above is fully automated from latest Git, so my "nightly" build managed just fine with the included build scripts. Must be something weird on your end. -lpthread should actually be coming automatically through the aom.pc file anyway.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 12th September 2018 at 16:32.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 00:22   #23017  |  Link
RealSnoopyDog

This one also sounds interesting:
Quote:
Add preliminary support for passing Closed Caption data to a renderer
RealSnoopyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2018, 14:27   #23018  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
LAV Filters 0.72.0-12 and newer have experimental support for AV1 decoding using libaom - software only, of course.
https://files.1f0.de/lavf/nightly/LA...-0.72.0-12.exe

It is planned to replace the libaom decoder with a ffmpeg built-in decoder once that becomes available, hopefully later this year.
It get a crash when trying to play mkv's produced by youtube-dl/ffmpeg. Maybe it's not standardized yet, but crashing is a little harsh.

The extension is automatically chosen. Not sure why, maybe ffmpeg can't mux AV1 into webm yet? Which is odd since it can mux it into mkv.
(And it never could mux the opus audio into mp4, so that's bypassed.)
Old 13th September 2018, 18:41   #23019  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I just tried that, and no crashes.

Code:
youtube-dl -f 399+bestaudio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qgadSvNyU
Output file works fine for me.
Old 13th September 2018, 20:03   #23020  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I just tried that, and no crashes.

Code:
youtube-dl -f 399+bestaudio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qgadSvNyU
Output file works fine for me.
Doesn't seem as straightforward as it first did. It doesn't always crash, bat apparently always if I try to play after a fresh start of the player.

I only get this message:

So I have no clue how to verify if the crash in fact happens within LAV.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter