Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th January 2018, 16:03   #22401  |  Link
mclingo

[QUOTE=Manni; ...... So I try to post less [/QUOTE]

by all means try to post even less.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 16:07   #22402  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
Thanks for the advice, but the only thing on your list that I haven't tried is the FSE part, but I am not sure that is the problem.
It goes fine into 3D mode. I have to use the glasses to see the stats, and they pop out at me.
The problem is that the decoder queue does not fill, and it is stuck on 1.

If it matters, the computer is connected to an Integral, which is connected to my Denon AVR, which is in turn connected to my Optoma 1080p projector.
yeah, there could be more than one issue here but AMD card must have FSE turned on in MADVR, this cant be disputed, although I bet someone will
Old 13th January 2018, 16:38   #22403  |  Link
fluffy01

I just tried activating FSE, but it didn't do any difference, so I deactivated it again.

My biggest problem with FSE is that it causes the system to renegotiate the HDMI-handshake every time it enters and leaves FSE, and my projector is VERY slow at reaquiring the HDMI signal (10+ secs). So since we got FS Windowed mode, I haven't used it.
fluffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2018, 16:40   #22404  |  Link
fluffy01

If there is an easy way for me to test the 3D output directly from LAV, without using the player or madVR, then I can test if it is indeed a problem with LAV, or it lies somewhere else.

Does anybody know if this is possible?
Old 13th January 2018, 17:05   #22405  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, dont think its possible, its MADVR which triggers 3D mode in this setup, not LAV, Lav just does the decoding. why dont you plug you PC directly into your projector to rule out any issues with your chain.

The files you are playing have you encoded them youself, are you sure they are ok, try this, I always use this for testing.

Is 3D turned on in windows in display settings, are you definitely outputting 1080p?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx...dRZF9XMDA/view
Old 13th January 2018, 17:37   #22406  |  Link
fluffy01

The movie is a 3D Bluray played directly from the media (With AnyDVD HD). The 3D is definitely turned on. It is running in frame-stacked 3D 1080p23.
And like I said before, the entire system is definitely running in 3D mode. The only thing missing is the picture of the video.
And it is the same whether I am running in full screen windowed or in regular windowed. The system is running in 3D mode, video is just blank. Everything else works.

Hmm. Almost missed your link to the mkv clip. I downloaded it, at that one works flawlessly!!! So I guess that for some reason LAV just wont play my 3D Blurays?!? I tried 2 different Bluray 3D disks, and neither of them worked, but your clip did.

So at least now we know, that my 3D is working after all, and now we need to figure out why it will not play my 3D Bluray disks.
Old 13th January 2018, 17:37   #22407  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy01 View Post
If there is an easy way for me to test the 3D output directly from LAV, without using the player or madVR, then I can test if it is indeed a problem with LAV, or it lies somewhere else.

Does anybody know if this is possible?
You can temporarily use another renderer, and check that LAV is still using "msdk mvc" as a decoder. You'll only get a 2D image, but as long as "msdk mvc" is used in LAV, it does 3D decoding.

Note however that the MSDK decoder is quite a blackbox, and if it just doesn't work, there isn't that much anyone can really determine remotely.
Old 13th January 2018, 17:48   #22408  |  Link
fluffy01

Thank you nev. Just testet with default EVR-Custom presenter, and LAV is still using "msdk mvc" and the screen is still black, and after a while the entire player freezes and needs to be killed with the task manager.

But as you can see by the comment I posted a few seconds before yours, mclingo's clip works flawlessly here, so it apparently works if you remux the entire disk into mkv, but not when played directly from the 3D Bluray.

I haven't tried remuxing the disk here by myself, as I am not aware of a free tool that can do this. As far as I know, MakeMKV is not free, right?
Old 13th January 2018, 18:02   #22409  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

MakeMKV is free while in beta. How long that'll last is anyones guess, but so far its been quite a long while. For that matter if you use it regularly, its always nice to recognize the work of others and actually pay.

Actual 3D Blu-rays should also work though, I just tried one and it still seems fine here. Which version of LAV are you using? Latest release or a nightly?
Old 13th January 2018, 18:04   #22410  |  Link
SamuriHL

Not to turn this into a tool thread, but, CloneBD is also free for the use case you're looking to do. As long as you don't require compression, you can use CloneBD to repackage into an MKV.
Old 13th January 2018, 18:11   #22411  |  Link
fluffy01

Ok. I have no problems paying for software that I regularly use, but I was hoping that I didn't have to use it at all and just play the disks directly without having to mux them to my harddisk first.

I am using latest nightly (0.70.2-83).
Old 13th January 2018, 19:06   #22412  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Do you have an active Intel GPU? Or, more helpful, does it work with build 0.70.2-70 or earlier?
Old 13th January 2018, 19:20   #22413  |  Link
fluffy01

I posted my specs in my first post about this problem. My CPU is a Intel 6700T Skylake CPU, and if I use FRIM through AviSynth to decode the bluray, then it works fine.

I will test older versions of LAVFilter later. I am currently watching a movie with my wife.
Old 13th January 2018, 21:10   #22414  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The CPU alone doesn't necessarily indicate if the GPU is actually enabled and installed in Windows - it usually requires some additional steps to setup multi-gpu mode with the integrated GPU and a dedicated one. But lets see first if the old version works or not, that might rule out that particular topic anyway.
Old 13th January 2018, 21:43   #22415  |  Link
fluffy01

I just tested the official 0.70.2 build, and it works!

I will do some more testing and see if I can pinpoint the nightly build that makes it stop working.

I installed the Intel GPU drivers on the system, but I do not have any displays connected to it. But all versions after Windows 7 should allow the use of the GPU even if there is not display attached to it, right?
Old 13th January 2018, 21:56   #22416  |  Link
fluffy01

I just finished testing, and 0.70.2-71 is the last working version. 0.70.2-74 and forward all fails.
Old 13th January 2018, 22:07   #22417  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Sounds about right. Those newer versions try to use GPU-accelerated decoding if available. Apparently something fails there. My main dev box doesn't have an Intel GPU, so i'll have to poke it on another box again.
Old 13th January 2018, 22:49   #22418  |  Link
fluffy01

Ok. If you want me to try out some test builds with some extended logging, so perhaps it can be easier to see what is going wrong, then I can do that for you.

On a related note: Have you considered using DXVA decoding of MVC content? Maybe that will solve the problem, and also remove the dependency on the Intel SDK, for those with a GPU capable of decoding MVC.
Old 13th January 2018, 23:30   #22419  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

DXVA decoding basically requires having a software decoder for MVC (because a lot of stuff still needs to be handled in software), so until such a time when FFmpeg adds MVC decoding, unfortunately using DXVA for that is not easily possible.
Old 14th January 2018, 00:33   #22420  |  Link
bisse

MPLS angles support

@nevcairiel: In case you missed my earlier post, could I get a yes or no on this feature request quoted below? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisse View Post
Could this function quoted in these old messages below still be implemented?

I've just purchased a bunch of GKIDS BD's that uses the MPLS angle feature to differentiate between credit sequences. As of now I'm forced to watch them with English credits, but I'd strongly prefer the original Japanese credits. Very frustrating.

I've tried using the modded mpc-hc with dslibbluray (with madvr, navigating blindly through the BD menu), but the subtitles seems to have a life of their own. They don't follow the timecode. I've tried both XYsub and the built in subs renderer.
I've also tried using the seamless playback function in Potplayer by adding each corresponding m2ts file the playlist, but with this method there's loads of audio glitches/skippings and the audio always gets out of sync, regardless of which audio decoder/renderer I use.

Is there any other method I can use if madvr is mandatory? Ripping is not an option.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
There are some new features of mpls playlists being used on some blurays. The german version of "Grand Budapest Hotel" uses multi-angle mpls files to select the different language versions (they differ by localized inserts and title cards). Unfortunately LAV only picks the first playlist-angle out of such a mpls playlist, without any option to choose the other (sub-playlist) versions. This is completely different from multi-angle video streams.
Quote:
This purely a matter of an mpls feature. The playlist file contains all the "angles" - no bd-j logc necessary. At the moment LAV plays the first angle of such playlist files. It would be nice if it would expose a choice of which angle to play - just like LAV has chapter support. This is not hugely important and might not even be on the agenda of the LAV developers, but maybe its easy to implement. And even if not, then i hope its still interesting to see that such mpls files exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Even if it did allow switching of angles, there is no guarantee that there is any information which angle is which, so you would probably still have to guess which to play.
Quote:
This would be no different from having to guess which subtitle track is for the hearing impaired, contains only forced subtitles or is the regular subtitle track. Also with audio tracks sometimes it's not obvious which track is which (due to wrong language flags, or multiple english tracks for SDH, commentary, music only etc.).

With "Grand Budapest Hotel" it would not involve much guessing as the first localized titlecard appears right after the credit sequence.

Anyhow - it's not a "crucial" feature or anything. But as LAV opens mpls files it would be nice if it also supported this feature. And as you are aware now (or have been all along) that these files exist my mission is complete - the rest it up to your judgement, mood and time.
bisse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter