Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th August 2019, 14:30   #11  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
What is exactly your issue ?
If it's difference between dither and ConvertXYZ, it's expected, as dither is only doing matrix convertion.
My only issue was expecting that when I do the same color conversion with programs X, Y & Z (pun intended), the result should be the same. I'm not sure that's unexpected.

Even when using the same program, I don't think many people would expect completely different results from the same kind of conversion. ie XYZtoYUV vs LinearRGBtoYUV.
Don't get me wrong, I finally understand why they're so different.

So rec.2020 conversions with DitherTools are effectively wrong?

As a side question, do you know how the average TV handles rec.2020? Amongst all the reading I did yesterday I stumbled on some posts in another forum somewhere, and they were discussing how at the moment the rec.2020 colorspace is something of a "future proof" colorspace, in that no TVs today are capable of displaying much more than the rec.709 range of colors. If that's true, I guess I'm asking if I upscale a HD video to UHD and convert the colors, for it to display correctly in an UHD TV's media player, should I be using the "matrix only" method or do it "properly" with the XYZ method. I don't have a UHD TV so I have no idea, but it seems silly to be up-converting the colors with a "matrix only" method if it won't display correctly.

Edit: It also makes me wonder what the point of ConvertToRGB(matrix="Rec2020") would be if it's only doing a matrix conversion which is technically wrong.

Just trying to get this whole thing straight in my head.

Cheers.

Last edited by hello_hello; 19th August 2019 at 14:50.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote