Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th October 2017, 21:52   #46261  |  Link
huhn

are you using native or copyback?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 22:47   #46262  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
I just caputerd the image in vlc by the in buil function.
So you say that brightness is the right thing to have? Talking about madvr here.
Can you share what exact frame from your sample you took the VLC picture from? I have a hard time matching the exact shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Do you have screenshot comparisons that verify this?
Comparing temporal aliasing can't be done with screenshots. But aufkrawall has posted screenshots several pages back.
Old 6th October 2017, 23:11   #46263  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Can you share what exact frame from your sample you took the VLC picture from? I have a hard time matching the exact shot.
I have to see from the original file, the shot is from the original movie and not from the sample.

Btw, from the sample, i think it's 00:53 sec.

I don't understand what you say about the aspct ratio and the EVR, i'm not so good at this
Old 6th October 2017, 23:45   #46264  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Today I've discovered that Motion Interpolation from my Samsung TV causes judder only with madVR and only with 59/60Hz. Strange bug. The strange part is the fact it's only with madVR. With EVR or another player like mpv, 0 judder. I don't know what madVR does which bothers the TV.

Fortunately with 23Hz, 0 problem. And even if I don't like soap opera, the custom settings allows no soap opera and better motion: perfect combination.
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2017, 23:47   #46265  |  Link
Drakko01

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
are you using native or copyback?
I was gonna say native but when I see the screenshot , I think copyback direct , right
Attached Images

Drakko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 00:59   #46266  |  Link
Drakko01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
Today I've discovered that Motion Interpolation from my Samsung TV causes judder only with madVR and only with 59/60Hz. Strange bug. The strange part is the fact it's only with madVR. With EVR or another player like mpv, 0 judder. I don't know what madVR does which bothers the TV.

Fortunately with 23Hz, 0 problem. And even if I don't like soap opera, the custom settings allows no soap opera and better motion: perfect combination.
Hi pirlouy, that as to be the smooth motion frame rate convertion of the madvr under rendering option, on 23hz dont kick in and the tv made the interpolation.
Drakko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 02:03   #46267  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
smooth motion would mess up a TV's motion interpolation. Make sure madVR's smooth motion is off and the TV should process the video normally.
Old 7th October 2017, 09:03   #46268  |  Link
pirlouy
_

I checked that and I let it disabled. I was so surprised, that I restored default settings, and tried lots of madVR versions (resetting settings each time). But all had this behavior (I went until first 64 bit version).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 09:57   #46269  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Been noticing a few instances recently with seeking where the picture freezes but audio continues. Seeking sometimes fixes it. Was using NGU Sharp and d3d11.
Only appear to have this happening when I pause.
So I'm not having this happen when I select lanczos, although I do see the render and present queue hit zero when I pause the OSD then the render queue fills back up and present queue goes to 1-1, why is it kept so low?

I can't seem to duplicate the freeze with NGU whilst using DXVA2 CB.. but then this is pretty random.. I now can't duplicate using D3D11 either so. *shrug* Guess this is a wait n see.

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th October 2017 at 10:02.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 10:55   #46270  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
I figure it out. Nothing to do with madvr. Sorry. I had to change a few settings from my Samsung TV. It has an option for 'Colour space', and it was set to 'auto'. I changed it to 'Native' and voila, colours now look right. Funny enough if I go back to 'auto' they also look good now.
I also had to change the 'hdmi black level' setting -which is an option for 16-235 or 0-255- from full to limited. Or else I would get washed out blacks. Now it looks great. Thanks for your time.
Glad to hear you got it solved. It's always difficult to diagnose these kind of problems remotely because every TV behaves differently, and some have rather weird options...

Quote:
I use a 1920*1080 full hd monitor, and mpc-be. Zoom settings in madvr are configured to move subs to the bottom.

I tried with ISR, VSFilter and XySubFilter but subs are not showed in the black bars, but on top of video. How can i solve?

As i can see (using xysubfilter), the subs are on top of video for a portion of time, then go in black bars, then returns on the video area... don't know why...
There are various different issues at play here:

1) VSFilter does its thing before madVR is involved, so the subtitle placement it totally out of madVR's control.
2) I think MPC-BE's ISR doesn't fully support madVR's subtitle positioning options. You *may* have more luck with MPC-HC's ISR. IIRC kasper93 had invested some time to make it work. But I'm not sure how well it's working.
3) The ideal solution would be XySubFilter or AssFilterMod. However, there's a bug in XySubFilter when playing *external* text subtitles which have italic subs in them. You can workaround this issue by either removing the italic sub, or by muxing them into the MKV. It's on my to do list to try to fix this in XySubFilter, but since I don't know the XySubFilter source code at all, it's very hard for me, so I've been pushing this back for a long time already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
Content type reported to the display does nothing when I change it because HDMI Content Type is disabled on the TV. Therefore, the TV ignores such signals from the PC. I do not really need it since I can force the best HDMI Content Type for movies from the TV instead of waiting for NVIDIA's CP signal. Now, changing the HDMI Content Type to anything but "Graphics" and "Photos" gives an unnatural image. Graphics and Photo modes have a less dynamic image, showing less vibrant and not so rich colours (as if the gamut range is crippled) and although the TV's main menu settings seem unchanged, brightness and gamma seems lower as well. Cinema is a weird mode that is disabled from factory defaults (so it won't activate on its own) and can be forced on, but it seems a bit washed out and dark, brightness and gamma are too low and it forces warm colours, looks similar to the so called "THX Cinema" mode, which is complete crap. Game is a mode I cannot force on but it should be able to activate automatically - I do not know under which circumstances it activates and what it does but I am pretty sure it will not do any good for movies with madVR. Lastly, NVIDIA's CP "Auto" Content type will always sent a "Graphics" signal when madVR is playing and the TV will treat it as such if I have everything turned on. If I force the content type from NVIDIA's CP to "Movies" the TV will treat it as "Off" (no mode) by default unless I have Cinema mode on, which is not a factory setting.
Sounds complicated. But if you look at "el Filou"'s recent posts, he also reported issues with black & white levels, and for him the "content type" was involved in finding a solution.

For me it's extremely difficult to help in this case because every TV behaves differently, and some have really weird options. E.g. look at mrmarioman's recent post. He had to switch a very specific option in this TV to make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulist View Post
The HDMI RGB Range has 3 settings: Auto, Full, Normal. For some reason the TV means "Full" = 16-235 and "Normal" = 0-255. This is an inconsistency which I never really noticed since I always used "Auto", until recently that I started fiddling with NVIDIA's CP output and madVR's settings. The TV's "Normal" (0-255) will force a 3rd black crushing level when activated which is slightly more unnatural than the black crushing NVIDIA's CP / madVR does when set to their equivalent "0-255" - as if there is a loss in quality. Auto seems to almost always use "Full" (16-235) or Limited for everything else, and this is what it defaults to when receiving signal directly from the blu-ray disc or any signal in general, in all my tests it never switched to its 0-255 levels. This mode does nothing when YCbCr signal is sent.
Well, I would need to have my hands on your PC and TV to figure out what's going on exactly. I can't really solve this issue remotely. It's possible that your TV is simply broken in such a way that it can't properly handle RGB input with correct black & white levels from your GPU, for some reason. Or maybe it needs a very specific set of options to be activated.

In any case, as the other users already indicated, THX and Cinema modes are *usually* the most accurate modes. If you don't like them that could mean that they're broken on your TV. Or it could mean that you're so used to the "wrong" modes that the accurate modes look bad to you now. It's impossible for me to judge. When using THX or Cinema modes, if you disregard the warm colors and bad "look" to your eyes, do the black & white levels at least work correctly? If so, that would be a clue as to why they might not work correctly in the other modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandronb View Post
Hi guys. I noticed that in recent madvr versions image upscaling and doubling are now on the same page, most guides i checked was on older versions, so i am wondering which option should i choose.
I have a GTX 1070 and was using dxva2 on most options, very low render time but i read that i was losing some image quality. So which settings are considered the best to use on a good gpu?
Also if i have a good gpu, is there a reason to not use dxva2 on image downscaling? Isn't downscaling only used when the window is not on fullscreen?
Edit: I use a 1080p display.
I also notice how little resources dxva2 uses. I put every possible setting on dxva2 and only chroma upscaling on nnedi 128 neurons gives me 0,3ms render time, gpu is almost at idle.
I already tried some settings but it seems that it doesn't make much difference.
I tried one that uses NGU and other settings enabled that put my 1070 to really work hard but not really sure if I saw any difference.
I tried with 720p and 1080p sources, all with high bitrates.
When playing 1080p sources on a 1080p display, none of the image up- and downscaling options have any effect because image scaling is simply not used. However, chroma upscaling is still active, but differences in chroma upscaling quality can be difficult to see, unless you test with specific scenes and know exactly what you're looking for.

720p playback on a 1080p display is a different situation. There image upscaling is the most important setting. But it's not a very large upscaling factor, so the difference between different upscaling algorithms will not be as large as when e.g. playing an SD video, or when upscaling to a 4K display.

I don't recommend DXVA scaling. Try NGU Standard or NGU Sharp for image doubling with "High" quality. And I'd recommend SSIM1D downscaling. Downscaling in your situation will only be active if you play 4K content. For chroma upscaling I'd suggest NGU Anti-Alias Medium quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
Is HLG support in the backlog ?
It's on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasch View Post
AMD CP is set to RGB Full 4:4:4, madvr 0-255 10bit or more.
all automatic switching + hdr let madvr dec.

Playing 1080p 8bit everything fine.
4k50 looks good for me, madvr says 10bit but Avr still says 8bit
4k23 HDR, HDR working says 10 bit, AVR still says 8bit.(colors looking right)

If i set AMD CP to 10bit
1080p 8bit colors are wrong(AVR says 10bit)
4k50 madvr says 10bit, AVR 8bit(Colors i.o)
4k23 HDR, madvr and AVR report 10bit(Colors i.o).
I think HDMI doesn't have enough bandwidth to do 10bit RGB at 50fps, but I'm not sure right now. It definitely doesn't work for 60fps. So that's probably the reason why you're getting 8bit at 50fps. I'm not sure if the AMD driver dithers down to 8bit in this situation. So if you really want to use 4Kp50, then it might make sense to use a profile to enforce madVR to output 8bit at 50fps, so you get madVR's high quality 8bit dithering.

1080p 8bit colors looking wrong sounds like a driver issue. You're not using anything DXVA, right? If you're using DXVA anything, check if disabling DXVA solves that. (DXVA copyback is safe to use, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
when the frame 40.00ms is equal to average stats rendering 40.00 ms

graphics card at the limit?
Yes.

Quote:
http://madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSharp.png I do not like
http://madshi.net/madVR/NGU/clown4xNguSoft.pnghow much do I like, what are the settings to observe them?
sd to 1080p
The settings for the 2nd image are NGU Standard with a bit of grain added (in the upscaling refinement settings).

Please note that this test image is very sharp, sharper than most movies, and the upscaling factor is very large (400%). The difference between various upscaling algos will be much smaller if you have a smaller upscaling factor, and if the video is softer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
There seems to be something very counter-intuitive about the new custom mode creation interface.
With v0.92.4, I can not longer create a new custom mode or optimize an existing mode.
When I try to add a custom mode I press add then fill in 47 or something.
The next screen shows the timings for the standard modes.
I select the first and press test.
Unlike with the previous version, there is no longer an apply button to select and confirm.
All I get is the TEST and CANCEL button!
With v0.92.3 there was an additional APPLY button and if pressed I was asked to reset the GPU.
What happened to the APPLY button??
I'm sorry, that's my fault. I wanted to improve the user interface for Nvidia users, and I actually did, but in the process I accidently broke optimization capability for Nvidia users. This will be fixed in the next build.

Let me explain the reasons for the change: The Nvidia custom mode API requires me to "test" a new mode before it can be saved/applied. In the old GUI you could test a mode, and then "apply" it. The "apply" button internally had to first invoked testing, only afterwards I could tell the Nvidia driver to save the mode. This was somewhat ugly and I wasn't sure it would always work right.

The new GUI now works more similar to how Nvidia's own custom mode control panel works: You first have to "test" a new mode, then in the small window that appears while testing the mode, you can "save" the mode, if it works. This "save" button has the same effect as the old "apply" button, except that the "save" button works directly, without having to internally "test" first, because we're already in "test" mode in that moment.

The bug is that the "save" button in the small window doesn't prepare the registry for measurements / optimization, while the "apply" button does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I have a problem with madVR freezing when watching the premier of Star Trek Discovery recorded from my local CBS (1080i) station. 91.11 and 92.4 both do it. EVR does not freeze. The video and overlay will freeze and audio keeps playing. The spots for freezing are not consistent. The file is clean with no MPEG-2 errors.

It seems to be an issue with the "automatically detect hard coded black bars" feature. With it off (unchecked) playback is okay. This is probably the first IVTC'able 1080i60 content with hard coded black bars I've ever played. The feature seems to work fine in 1080p24 Blu-ray content as I haven't ever had a lockup like this before. Similarly, full screen 16:9 1080i60 (without hard coded black bars) IVTC's fine with no freezes.

I'm using MPC-HC 1.7.13 x64 / Win 8.1 Pro / Nvidia 1080.
How quickly does the freeze occur? After a couple of seconds of playback? Or minutes? Or hours?

Can you try to create a freeze report by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Pause/Break? If you can get a freeze report, please upload it to pastebin for me to look at. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpage View Post
Madshi, would there be plan to bring NGU to MPDN as well? Or is there a way I could interface your files with the render script there?
Unfortunately no plans for that. There will "soon" (sorry, no ETA) be support for applying madVR algorithms in Avi/VapourSynth scripts. So in theory you could create a Avi/VapourSynth script using madVR to upscale the video via NGU and then play that script with MPDN (if MPDN supports "playing" Avi/VapourSynth scripts). However, it's not very comfortable because you'd have to adjust the script for any new movie you're playing. Still, if you absolutely need it, it would work this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
I was traveling for more than 2 weeks and had therefore no Chance to test or to answer; now I have catched up and updated to the newest Software Versions of madVR, LAV and MPC-BE;
the Problem still persists; 2D is fine; 3D is playing fine (TV is set to 23p/3D mode), but when I close the player the refresh rate is not reverted to 50p (my standard for PAL-TV) and MPC-BE stays open with a black full screen; only a restart of the PC helps since I can not bring other windows on top;

when I switch off the "3D toggle" for my TV in the Windows controls, then I get a side by side picture on the screen; the TV informs me that a 3D-signal was recognized and I could manually switch to 3D mode; still, if I close the player it hangs too;

I switched to 32 bit LAV and MPC-BE and could use the Tracer tool, but only with MPC-BE in a window; otherwise I can not access the tool; it seems that the outcome is the same like in x64 and full sreen... MPC-BE hangs; TV stays in 23p;

https://mega.nz/#!bgFhiBpb!sNYjbZgMI...KuZRy3LGAXPofc

had no time yet to look into Win8.1; but the studder was on a regular basis every maybe 2 sec;

forgot to mention in the title : Intel KBL i5 7200U / hd620 graphics
I can't see anything interesting in the freeze report. From what I can see, madVR is already freed and mostly gone. So it's hard to say why MPC is frozen. However, there's still some hope to analyze this further: If you can repeat this with an MPC build with matching PDB debug symbols for MPC (and ideally also for LAV), the freeze report will also tell us what MPC (and LAV) are doing in the freeze situation. That information may help to figure out where the media player is stuck and maybe why.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 10:56   #46271  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
The way it worked before was:

1. "Apply" was initially greyed out
2. "Test" would cause the new mode to be tested and then return to the previous screen.
3. "Apply" button is now active and would apply the new mode.

I believe that the way it's supposed to work now is:

1. "Test" causes the mode to be tested (so far, this is really no different than before since "Apply" was not an available option then).
2. The Test screen now has an option to save the mode. I believe this is meant to be equivalent to exiting the Test screen and then doing an "Apply". (My opinion is that this is an improvement over the previous method.)

The real problem is that (for me, at least) it does NOT save the mode. If you look at the registry (HKCU.Software.madshi.madVR.DisplayModeMeasurements), the new mode is NOT there.
Spot on right!

(Well, the mode is saved/applied in that way that it's sent to the Nvidia driver, but madVR's own registry storage for the mode is missing, which makes optimization measurements fail.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Mark View Post
You have indicated in the latest version that we can track on why refresh rate optimization is not working in certain instances. How do we do this?
By creating a debug log and upload it somewhere for me to look at (don't attach to this forum, please). However, if you look above in this post you'll see that v0.92.4 has a bug which prevent optimization from working with Nvidia GPUs. So it might make sense to wait for v0.92.5 first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgh View Post
I installed the Intel driver 154519.4678 (zip version) by copying this patched inf (https://mega.nz/#!C811WayR!n6l6R1qW4...yGTxXDaNcEkabA) into the grafics folder and installing manually the driver by choosing this inf; driver signatures of windows must be deactivated;

2D and 3D playback is flashing back (jumping); 2D every 3-4 sec; 3D more, maybe every 2 sec.; if I go from full screen to a window, flashing is constantly present (both in the x64 and x32 versions of the software packages); I have done some screenshots again and used the TracerTool (maybe it helps);
https://mega.nz/#!ylsXTIqA!o_gxDPfx4...l6TcRtDZRnQtR0

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php...1506611058.jpg
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php...1506610827.jpg
I appreciate the effort with the screenshots and freeze reports etc. FWIW, freeze reports are really only useful if the media player is frozen. The screenshots seem similar to the ones you posted a while ago.

But if you want to move this all forward, you really need to start answering my questions. In this post:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...81#post1816681

I had asked you ""Also"? So this is not a new problem?" but I didn't get a reply to that. I need to know if this is a new problem introduced in the latest madVR builds, or if the problem has always existed.

And in this post:

And in this post I have also asked a couple of questions which you didn't reply to yet:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...13#post1817413

Quote:
If it's of interest with anyone with an NVIDIA, Windows 1703 and issues with RGB Full on HDMI to a TV (in this case a Panasonic plasma): I've found a (tedious) workaround to my problem: every time the graphics card causes the TV to resync, i.e. restart or wake up from sleep or change of refresh rate etc., I need to go to NVIDIA Control Panel => Adjust desktop colour settings, and change the Content type reported to the display setting. It actually doesn't matter what I change it to and it has no effect at all on the TV not even a resync, but when I change it to anything other than the current value it magically fixes the levels in RGB Full!
This is definitely a bug with the NVIDIA driver because when I boot into Safe mode or if I uninstall all drivers and switch back to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter then the levels are always OK.
This seems really bad. I'd suggest that you report this to Nvidia customer support. I've no idea if there's any hope to have this fixed, but reporting is all you can do at this point, I guess.

Quote:
How does that work? I keep pressing it. But nothing happens. (Only the windows prompt for an unresponsive app appears.)
In that case try this tool:

http://madshi.net/madTraceProcess32.zip

(Only works for 32bit media players, though.)

Quote:
Is there any workaround/tweak/hack I can try to get deinterlacing to not break with progDVB?
This problem will be fixed in the next madVR build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telion View Post
Thanks. It's good that you did 6 of them, because only the 6th contained somewhat useful information...

Please let me know if v0.92.5 fixes the issue (when it's released, don't know yet when that will be).

Quote:
Hey now! It looks like I managed to make a couple: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...UpvTmg4REhyTG8
Great - thanks! I hope to have this fixed in the next build.

Quote:
once madVR gets access to deblocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Ive been wondering why for a long time why when I upscale Pal DVDs 720x576 to 4K why they never quite fit the left and right side of my motorised masking when set to 4x3. Top and bottom is fine but the left and right sides are less than the masking....
You're saying they're not 4:3, but maybe 3.9:3 or something like that? Must be the fault of the studio doing the encoding then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
I really wish madshi would make some smaller zoom steps e.g. 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, this would fix these incorrect sizings from some DVDs on 4x3 material.
Adding smaller steps is on my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Need some help with 23.970 Fps movies. When watching 1080p23.970 movies the sound is a bit off.
Does this problem only occur when using madVR? Or also when using other video renderers? If it also occurs with other video renderers then it can't be a bug in madVR and no configuration option in madVR will help.

Quote:
What's the difference between 'crop black bars' and 'if there are big black bars'? With the second I can effectively crop the bars away. What about the first?
With "crop black bars" active, madVR actually cuts the black bar pixels away, so madVR has less pixels to process. With "crop black bars" unchecked, madVR is aware of which pixels belong to the black bar and which don't, but the pixels are not cut away, so they're still being processed, they might just be zoomed away, eventually.

Cutting the pixels away will save GPU performance, but it might also cut away TV channel logos and burned in subtitles, which you may or may not want. Hence the option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrojan View Post
Anyone tried sending HDR metadata through their receiver? I have RX-1040 which has HDMI 2.0, but is said to not support HDR since it doesn't support HDCP 2.2, but madVR has no HDCP.
You can check the "identification" tab in your madVR settings to see if your AVR reports HDR to be supported or not.

Quote:
because between bilinear the smallest of the scalers and the NGU the most powerful scaler you do not notice any difference. depends on the video card, the fullHD TV or what?
I am inexperienced, how to notice the difference?
Which movie resolution and TV resolution did you test with? E.g. if you play a 1080p movie on a 1080p TV, no scaling is active, anyway, so whether you choose bilinear or NGU doesn't matter. The bigger the upscaling factor, the bigger the visible difference between different scaling algorithms should be. E.g. upscaling a DVD to a 4K TV will look dramatically different with Bilinear vs NGU. But upscaling a 720p movie to 1080p will only show a relatively small difference.

Also the quality of the video matters. If the video is very soft, the difference between Bilinear and NGU will be much smaller than for sharp/detailed videos.

Quote:
Same movie, first image with MPC-BE with Madvr, second with VLC without Madvr. With Madvr i can notice that the image is too much bright and less detailed as i can see, what i've to change?
First try to reset madVR settings to default. If that doesn't help, in the madVR display device setup try "PC levels" vs "TV levels". Does that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
Now I'm trying my luck on getting a custom resolution to work, created a custom 2160p24 mode in the nvidia GUI (I couldn't create the custom mode in madVR, since 24Hz is listed as a standard mode and I couldn't override it, so I created the mode in nvidia's GUI) and then opened a 23.976fps video (over 30min, has audio).

Went to custom modes tab in madVR, the 24Hz mode is correctly being displayed as active and with "custom timings, not measured yet". Pressed the optimize button, got the message I'm supposed to get, clicked OK. So far so good.

Closed madVR options and started to play the video and watched it over 30min, paused and went back to custom modes tab. Still shows "custom timings, not measued yet".
There are 2 problems:

1) Currently you need to create the custom mode with madVR, otherwise the whole optimization procedure doesn't work. I might remove this limitation in the next build, I'm not sure yet.

2) There's a bug in v0.92.4, unfortunately, which stops optimization from working at all with Nvidia GPUs. Will be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
Because I can't.

23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 50, 59 and 60 Hz are being listed as "standard mode" and I can't edit them ("GPU driver rejected this mode, for unknown reasons.")
I have the same problem on my PC, it's an Nvidia driver bug. Nvidia is aware of it, and my contact said he'd look into it, but without any ETA.

Generally, in this situation it *seems* that the Nvidia custom mode control panel works, but it doesn't, really. Try rebooting your OS and the custom mode you created through the Nvidia control panel should be gone (it is on my PC). The Nvidia control panel doesn't report failure of the Nvidia custom mode APIs, while madVR does. That's why it seems to work in the Nvidia control panel (but doesn't survive a reboot, or a GPU reset), while madVR properly detects the failure and reports it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingblue View Post
Has the full/limited issue been fixed with new nvidia drivers?
Selecting RGB Full in both desktop section and video section, is 0-255 correctly displayed?
Which bug? It works fine for me, has for a long time. If all else fails, you can try the "madLevelsTweaker" tool shipping with madVR.

Quote:
Would it be possible for madVR to store the settings.bin in %ProgramData% ? That folder has the advantage of having write access even for standard users.
IMHO you either want a portable installation or a normal installation. If you want portable, you want the settings file to be in the same folder and definitely not in %ProgramData%. If portable is not necessary, then saving to registry should work just as well as saving to %ProgramData%. So I see no reason to save to %ProgramData%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
I'm noticing small white horizontal dashes (most of the time white, but on occasion black) flash on the screen at what may be random times during playing of videos. I've also noticed they flash on quite frequently (although not always) right after I pause videos too. Its a brief flash, and doesn't remain on the screen making me unable to take a screen shot.
(MadVR, MPC-HC 64, LAV-64, XySubfilter)

I'll post my settings if needed, but before that I thought it may ring a bell to a few of you who may have encountered it yourselves in the past. Any theories on what may be causing it, or a setting I should try changing to remedy it?
Could be a GPU hardware defect (or overclocked VRAM or GPU), or a faulty HDMI cable, or a faulty TV HDMI input port. But this doesn't sound like anything madVR would be at fault for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
Quick question.
So what's the better/right option here for HDR movies?

madVR: 0-255 nvidia: 0-255 TV: 0-255
madVR: 0-255 nvidia:16-235 TV: 16-235

in some movies with everything set to full-rgb the blacks look washed out.
See FAQ in 2nd post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman View Post
I seem to have a problem with x265 (H.265) video files.

The image freezes but the audio continues playing, resulting in massive dropped frames.

It happens sporadically.

I made a video about it with madvr statistics enabled.
The decoder queue goes empty in the moment when this happens. Which means that the decoder is not sending madVR any frames in this situation. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't seem like it's likely to be madVR's fault. Have you tried another video renderer like VMR9 or EVR? If the problem also occurs with them, then that would prove that it's not madVR's fault.

Quote:
So I'm not having this happen when I select lanczos, although I do see the render and present queue hit zero when I pause the OSD then the render queue fills back up and present queue goes to 1-1, why is it kept so low?

I can't seem to duplicate the freeze with NGU whilst using DXVA2 CB.. but then this is pretty random.. I now can't duplicate using D3D11 either so. *shrug* Guess this is a wait n see.
In paused mode GUI/OSD responsiveness (low lag) is more important than not dropping frames, so the presentation queue is intentionally left almost empty.

It's on my to do list to improve D3D11 decoder handling. This may or may not fix the freeze you've been seeing, I'm not sure.

Quote:

Which video fps are we talking about? 24fps or 60fps? madVR is currently not very good at playing 24fps at 60Hz, if smooth motion is disabled. The pulldown interval is pretty random, which may confuse your TV. You should really play 24fps content at 24Hz, not 60Hz. Or alternatively use smooth motion.
Old 7th October 2017, 11:01   #46272  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
In paused mode GUI/OSD responsiveness (low lag) is more important than not dropping frames, so the presentation queue is intentionally left almost empty.
Yeah, thought so, though personally I'd rather have no dropped frames after resuming.
Old 7th October 2017, 11:08   #46273  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Yeah, thought so, though personally I'd rather have no dropped frames after resuming.
Fair enough. But the render queue does fill up, doesn't it? Pre-filling the present queue for resumed playback is not possible because presentation is executed by D3D immediately. So as soon as I fill the presentation queue with resumed playback, playback will resume.
Old 7th October 2017, 11:11   #46274  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah no probs with the queues, I can live with it. Hope there's some nice new features coming soon xD
Old 7th October 2017, 11:15   #46275  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Hope there's some nice new features coming soon xD
Old 7th October 2017, 12:05   #46276  |  Link
Sebastiii

the future next version looks promising as usual

Last edited by Sebastiii; 7th October 2017 at 12:26.
Sebastiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 14:14   #46277  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
I have to see from the original file, the shot is from the original movie and not from the sample. Btw, from the sample, i think it's 00:53 sec.
It's not from 00:53, the hand is not in the same position. I've found it in your sample: it's frame 1352 / time 00:56.389
Here are two screenshots I made of that same frame:

with madVR (only chroma upscaling and output to 8-bit ordered dithering, no image enhancement or refinement): https://postimg.org/image/1d54jnqpob/
with EVR (all video processing options disabled in NVIDIA control panel): https://postimg.org/image/8yft217gjf/

As you can see, the brightness and artefacts coming from the compression are the same with madVR as with the graphics card driver's own rendering, that's why I think your VLC screenshot is the one with a problem.

Quote:
I don't understand what you say about the aspct ratio and the EVR, i'm not so good at this
The video frame of your sample is 1920x800. madVR renders this exact size but for some reason your VLC screenshot, as well as Windows' system default EVR renderer (on my system at least), render at 1920x804 by stretching the image vertically 4 pixels taller. You can see that by comparing your own screenshot with the two I made. (Edit: I cropped the madVR screenshot to 804 too so you can see the two 2-pixel high bands above and below the image)
I don't why that is but it's not good for the image quality. (maybe someone elses know why? I used MPC-HC for both EVR and madVR shots)

Edit: aaah, I think I found the cause in the filter's Pin Info:
Code:
- Connection media type:
Video: NV12 2048x800 (191:80) 23.976fps
The aspect ratio is computed as 2.3875:1 which gives 1920x804 (also the image is transmitted as 2048 wide but the renderer probably crops it to 1920).
This also happens with Windows' own Films & TV app too, so I think it's an EVR bug.
If you still needed one, that's another reason to use madVR to be sure you've got the best rendering quality possible!

Last edited by el Filou; 7th October 2017 at 15:10.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 15:19   #46278  |  Link
steakhutzeee

Quote:
It's not from 00:53, the hand is not in the same position. I've found it in your sample: it's frame 1352 / time 00:56.389
Here are two screenshots I made of that same frame:

with madVR (only chroma upscaling and output to 8-bit ordered dithering, no image enhancement or refinement): https://postimg.org/image/1d54jnqpob/
with EVR (all video processing options disabled in NVIDIA control panel): https://postimg.org/image/8yft217gjf/

As you can see, the brightness and artefacts coming from the compression are the same with madVR as with the graphics card driver's own rendering, that's why I think your VLC screenshot is the one with a problem.

The video frame of your sample is 1920x800. madVR renders this exact size but for some reason your VLC screenshot, as well as Windows' system default EVR renderer (on my system at least), render at 1920x804 by stretching the image vertically 4 pixels taller. You can see that by comparing your own screenshot with the two I made. (Edit: I cropped the madVR screenshot to 804 too so you can see the two 2-pixel high bands above and below the image)
I don't why that is but it's not good for the image quality. (maybe someone elses know why? I used MPC-HC for both EVR and madVR shots)

Edit: aaah, I think I found the cause in the filter's Pin Info:
Code:
- Connection media type:
Video: NV12 2048x800 (191:80) 23.976fps
The aspect ratio is computed as 2.3875:1 which gives 1920x804 (also the image is transmitted as 2048 wide but the renderer probably crops it to 1920).
This also happens with Windows' own Films & TV app too, so I think it's an EVR bug.
If you still needed one, that's another reason to use madVR to be sure you've got the best rendering quality possible!
Thank you very much!

So actually VLC is enlarging the picture and is having artifacts. Madvr instead is processing all the right way.

Well, but point is that i can't see all that brightness with VLC, maybe it's the right way it has to be processed but what if i should have a 'less bright' image?

Hope i understood your point and that i'm not asking something very noob :P So the question, where that brightness come from in MadVR?

Here are my settings if you want to try with them: http://www95.zippyshare.com/v/Sf5ZlMlX/file.html

Last edited by steakhutzeee; 7th October 2017 at 15:25.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 15:33   #46279  |  Link
arrgh

Win8.1 x64; Kaby Lake i5 7200U/HD620;

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

But if you want to move this all forward, you really need to start answering my questions. In this post:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...81#post1816681

I had asked you ""Also"? So this is not a new problem?" but I didn't get a reply to that. I need to know if this is a new problem introduced in the latest madVR builds, or if the problem has always existed.
And in this post I have also asked a couple of questions which you didn't reply to yet:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...13#post1817413
yes, also older versions show this behavior; at that time I updated to 0.92.2, so all the 92 have it; one or two weeks ago I downloaded a 91-version, I think it was 0.91.5; this did also hang;

to the flashig frequency, I tried to answer here https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...27#post1820027
but i have some "new" details; after those different tests, also with the 32bit versions and a hint by ryrynz to try d3d9, I just today rechecked the madVR settings in that respect (0.92.4) with 64bit software;

outcome :
if I deactivate in renderer/general all Options, especially "full exclusive" and "direct3D11", than there is no studder anymore (not in 2D and not in 3D);
if I activate "exclusive" then 2D still works but 3D starts to studder every 1-2 sec; if I add 3d11 the studder becomes hectic in 3D and regular, but slower, in 2D;
in all settings the player does not come clean out of 3D and hangs;

so, I'm a little bit confused, since I'm quite sure I have tried allready all possible permutations in those settings in the past; and I thought that 3D automatically starts 3D11, or am I wrong?
mabe it was also some hickup in the registry settings?

so, at least I have a somewhat working system (not sure whether I'm limited performance/feature wise); the shutdown problem remains to be solved
arrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 15:43   #46280  |  Link
el Filou

@steakhutzeee The brightness isn't coming from madVR, rather it's the darkness that is coming from VLC.
The overall brightness levels of your madVR screenshot are identical to mine and, more importantly, to EVR too, so the most probable cause is that it's VLC that is modifying the image brightness and not madVR.
I don't know why that is, I've never used VLC and I hope you'll understand I won't discuss it here.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling