Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 1st September 2016, 18:54   #24821  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauguru View Post
TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--pmode --pme
TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--pmode --pme

TWEAK_X265=--pmode --pme

serve to both? X265 to X264?

Parallel Mode Analysis
When --pmode is enabled, each CU (at all depths from 64x64 to 8x8) will distribute its analysis work to the thread pool via a bonded task group. Each analysis job will measure the cost of one prediction for the CU: merge, skip, intra, inter (2Nx2N, Nx2N, 2NxN, and AMP).

At slower presets, the amount of increased parallelism from pmode is often enough to be able to reduce or disable frame parallelism while achieving the same overall CPU utilization. Reducing frame threads is often beneficial to ABR and VBV rate control.

Parallel Motion Estimation
When --pme is enabled all of the analysis functions which perform motion searches to reference frames will distribute those motion searches to other worker threads via a bonded task group (if more than two motion searches are required).
I think TWEAK_PASS_ONE&TWO are only for x264 command line.
Here, "well-working" x264 command line tweaks are --threads auto and
--thread-input. My cores are saturated even when using only these two tweaks.

Regarding x265 command line, at first try --pmode. If you are not saturating the cores add --pme as well and let us see the utilization of your CPU.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 21:32   #24822  |  Link
lauguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
I think TWEAK_PASS_ONE&TWO are only for x264 command line.
Here, "well-working" x264 command line tweaks are --threads auto and
--thread-input. My cores are saturated even when using only these two tweaks.

Regarding x265 command line, at first try --pmode. If you are not saturating the cores add --pme as well and let us see the utilization of your CPU.
if I understood correctly for x264, the tweak is written as:

TWEAK_PASS_ONE=--threads auto --thread-input
TWEAK_PASS_TWO=--threads auto --thread-input

?
lauguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 01:09   #24823  |  Link
DoctorM

Two things.
First, is FRIMEncoder only ABR 1-pass? I thought 2-pass was the default.

Second, I'm a bit confused about 3D rebuilds. They can be output as folders, even Movie-Only now (as opposed to .ISO), but that lacks the SSIF data.
Is that still burnable and functional? I've never really gotten my head around how BD3D does its thing.

Edit: Also, FRIMEncoder doesn't MultiProcess? All cores seem to normally be in use on my AMD chip, but I never exceed 75% utilization.
MultiProcess=1 doesn't show up as engaging while encoding 3D.

Last edited by DoctorM; 2nd September 2016 at 01:27.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 01:46   #24824  |  Link
jdobbs

FRIM doesn't support 2 pass (nor does, I believe, the underlying Intel libraries) -- so, no, it's not the default.

There are several ways you can do 3D in Bluray that are supported within the standard. The SSIF folder is just one of them. BD-RB does it the best way for a particular purpose while staying within the abilities of TSMUXER. The problem with output to folders is that you can't have portions of different files appearing as two in the file structure (as can be done in a write to ISO and as happens in an SSIF structure) without almost doubling the size (with redundant data), so you MUST use a non-SSIF method. You also can't do a full-backup using SSIF because TSMUXER only supports movie-only output to ISO.

You can't do multipass because 3D requires FRIMDECODE and it doesn't support random seeking.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd September 2016 at 01:55.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 06:12   #24825  |  Link
DoctorM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
FRIM doesn't support 2 pass (nor does, I believe, the underlying Intel libraries) -- so, no, it's not the default.

There are several ways you can do 3D in Bluray that are supported within the standard. The SSIF folder is just one of them. BD-RB does it the best way for a particular purpose while staying within the abilities of TSMUXER. The problem with output to folders is that you can't have portions of different files appearing as two in the file structure (as can be done in a write to ISO and as happens in an SSIF structure) without almost doubling the size (with redundant data), so you MUST use a non-SSIF method. You also can't do a full-backup using SSIF because TSMUXER only supports movie-only output to ISO.

You can't do multipass because 3D requires FRIMDECODE and it doesn't support random seeking.
Thanks, that covers everything. Good to know the whole SSIF thing is not a requirement of a functioning 3DBD. Which now makes me wonder why they do it that way at all.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:43   #24826  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
if I understood correctly for x264, the tweak is written as:

?
Yes, but there is no need to use them as separate parameter for TWEAK_PASS_X, because jdobbs already inserted them in the command line, so they are used as default (note: as a hiddenopt you can modify THREADS=auto to THREADS=x in the ini file through BD-RB menu, so you can specify more than 1.5xlogical cores if that one still does not saturate your cores).
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:15   #24827  |  Link
lauguru

Quote:
Yes, but there is no need to use them as separate parameter for TWEAK_PASS_X, because jdobbs already inserted them in the command line, so they are used as default (note: as a hiddenopt you can modify THREADS=auto to THREADS=x in the ini file through BD-RB menu, so you can specify more than 1.5xlogical cores if that one still does not saturate your cores).

According to this processor, my setup is rebuilder.ini bd: what you think is right?
EXTENDED_GOP = 1 also improve image quality bd50tobd25?

[Options]
VERSION=0.50.0.18

MULTIPROCESS=6
TWEAK_X265=--pmode --pme
THREADS=12
EXTENDED_GOP=1
B_PYRAMID=1

ENABLE_TEST=1
DEFAULT_LANG=spa
MIN_PLAYLIST_MINS=1
MIN_M2TS_SIZE=5

IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM=1
NEW_CRF_PREDICTION=1

ARCHIVE_ENABLE=1
ARCHIVE_CRF=13.7
ARCHIVE_QUALITY=3
ARCHIVE_LIMIT=0
ARCHIVE_265=1

Last edited by lauguru; 2nd September 2016 at 09:41.
Old 2nd September 2016, 13:23   #24828  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Good to know the whole SSIF thing is not a requirement of a functioning 3DBD. Which now makes me wonder why they do it that way at all.
Otherwise you will not get full 1080p resolution. Side-by-Side or Top-Bottom options result in a lost of resolution.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:15   #24829  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Otherwise you will not get full 1080p resolution. Side-by-Side or Top-Bottom options result in a lost of resolution.
You do not lose resolution just because you don't use a SSIF folder. The blu-ray standard allows for the MVC information to be kept in a additional stream within the same M2TS file. It doesn't use over-under or side-by-side. The output is identical to the MVC stream you will have if using a SSIF.

Last edited by jdobbs; 2nd September 2016 at 15:20.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:23   #24830  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
The blu-ray standard allows for the MVC information to be kept in a additional stream within the same M2TS file. It doesn't use over-under or side-by-side. The output is identical to the MVC stream you will have if using a SSIF.
You are right, I totally forgot about that.
Old 2nd September 2016, 17:07   #24831  |  Link
mparade

Quote:

According to this processor, my setup is rebuilder.ini bd: what you think is right?
EXTENDED_GOP = 1 also improve image quality bd50tobd25?

[Options]
VERSION=0.50.0.18

MULTIPROCESS=6
TWEAK_X265=--pmode --pme
THREADS=12
EXTENDED_GOP=1
B_PYRAMID=1

ENABLE_TEST=1
DEFAULT_LANG=spa
MIN_PLAYLIST_MINS=1
MIN_M2TS_SIZE=5

IMPORT_PAL_TO_FILM=1
NEW_CRF_PREDICTION=1

ARCHIVE_ENABLE=1
ARCHIVE_CRF=13.7
ARCHIVE_QUALITY=3
ARCHIVE_LIMIT=0
ARCHIVE_265=1
Would you like to reserve the menus as well in your output or is your aim to get movie-only backups and to burn them to BD-25?
Old 2nd September 2016, 20:53   #24832  |  Link
lauguru

Quote:
Would you like to reserve the menus as well in your output or is your aim to get movie-only backups and to burn them to BD-25?
if, keeping the menus and make BD25
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:17   #24833  |  Link
mparade

@jdobbs

When making batch jobs, is the filter used in the avs filter editor of BD-RB saved in the job itself? I would like to use different crop values for the different jobs then putting them in the batch queue. Is it possible?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by mparade; 3rd September 2016 at 14:30.
Old 3rd September 2016, 14:29   #24834  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
if, keeping the menus and make BD25
Do you prefer archiving using x265 to x264? I think there will currently be some problems when playing it back with the menus.

If I were you, I would use x264 with the excellent automatic features of BD-RB (if the output required is BD-25 with menus). To make everything as simple as possible just use the preset&tune system of x264. Additionally, I would use some of the hiddenopts to "fine tune" the encode. If you don't know what is a hiddenopt for, just search for it in the "history".txt file located in the BD-RB root folder or here:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MeGUI/x264_Settings
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:48   #24835  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
@jdobbs

When making batch jobs, is the filter used in the avs filter editor of BD-RB saved in the job itself? I would like to use different crop values for the different jobs then putting them in the batch queue. Is it possible?

Thanks for your help!
The moment you put something in the queue all the settings are fixed at that time. Any changes after that point don't affect a queued job. So yes, it's possible.
Old 3rd September 2016, 19:27   #24836  |  Link
mparade

Quote:
The moment you put something in the queue all the settings are fixed at that time. Any changes after that point don't affect a queued job. So yes, it's possible.
Nice job!
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:42   #24837  |  Link
lauguru

Quote:
Do you prefer archiving using x265 to x264? I think there will currently be some problems when playing it back with the menus.

If I were you, I would use x264 with the excellent automatic features of BD-RB (if the output required is BD-25 with menus). To make everything as simple as possible just use the preset&tune system of x264. Additionally, I would use some of the hiddenopts to "fine tune" the encode. If you don't know what is a hiddenopt for, just search for it in the "history".txt file located in the BD-RB root folder or here:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MeGUI/x264_Settings
x264 currently use very slow, with the configuration rebuilder.ini I put a post above, I would like to use X265 ARCHIVE_MODE for maintaining full backup bd50tobd25 menu, although to this day can not be played on a player, sure if it will be possible soon
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:10   #24838  |  Link
lauguru

@jdobbs
there is no way to speed up the encode by gpu?
Old 4th September 2016, 02:32   #24839  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
x264 currently use very slow, with the configuration rebuilder.ini I put a post above, I would like to use X265 ARCHIVE_MODE for maintaining full backup bd50tobd25 menu, although to this day can not be played on a player, sure if it will be possible soon
You will never get x265 compiled videos to be played on a Blu-ray player. While the menu will show up, the video will not play.

I suspect that the menu structure for UHD discs/players is a little bit different than Blu-ray menu structures, so that means there will need to be a UHDRB program.

So, for the time being, if you want menus, you use x264 encoding.
Old 4th September 2016, 03:09   #24840  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Pretty the menu structure has nothing to do with it at all, what matters is that the x265 codec simply isn't supported by standard blu-ray players and that same x265 is the official codec for UHD discs.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote