Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 12th August 2010, 11:28   #1  |  Link
vineet

Severe banding in videos

Hey,

I came across this particular video my friend had encoded as MJPEG, when I try to encode it using x264, it gets severe banding in 40 frames in middle of the video and colors totally blow out.Same is true with ffmpeg. I inquired further and understood that he had compiled some png images from different sources. Now when I try to make some png's from different encoders into a movie with ffmpeg, i get the same artifacts. Any clues how to overcome this?
vineet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 11:54   #2  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet View Post
Now when I try to make some png's from different encoders into a movie with ffmpeg, i get the same artifacts. Any clues how to overcome this?
Try using a batch image encoder to convert the images to compatible PNG files first. This is a lossless process if no scaling/cropping is required. ImageMagick's convert tool is one possible alternative.

If you'd like to get the potential ffmpeg bug fixed, post your image files (as a package) and the command-line that you are using so we can replicate the issue.

Last edited by nm; 12th August 2010 at 11:56.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 14:16   #3  |  Link
poisondeathray

I'm guessing there is a levels issues with your mjpeg decoder and the actual content. Can you post a sample? Try converting to PC or TV levels
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banding, ffmpeg, x264