Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 9th June 2010, 02:36   #1  |  Link
cybercat

Macroblocking Issues with MPEG2 DVDs

Hello friends, I need some tips on how to approach this problem I've been having. Basically all the DVDs I've been burning have medium/severe macroblocking and freezing issues when played back on a normal DVD player. The issue seems to be sporadic but happens around halfway into the disc. Reburing the disc causes it to show up somewhere else.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the actual content, I use Nero to burn and the "verify" function says the data checks out. Also Nero ScanDisc surface scan says all burned sectors are good. So that makes me think it's at least not a physical problem with the disc. The discs play back perfectly fine on my PC with VLC so it looks like it's not a file-level issue either.

The actual content is sourced from an MPEG2 file rendered out from Vegas which is simply re-encapsulated into a VOB without recompression in DVD Architect and burned to a DVD using Nero. Anyone had this issue before? I could find incredibly little information about it, unfortunately.

The burner is an LG GSA-H22N for what it's worth.
cybercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 02:47   #2  |  Link

Have you tried other DVD players? Maybe yours is faulty.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 02:53   #3  |  Link
cybercat

I'm hoping it's just the player, but I don't know. They do play on the computer DVD player fine, as I said. I don't have another DVD player to test though. It does play commercial DVDs without any problem, and it seems like I used to be able to play my burned DVDs with it ok. The player is a Toshiba SD-K770.

The main reason I posted on this particular forum was because I was wondering if it could possibly be a problem with the MPEG2 settings I was rendering it out to on Vegas (which get passed along to DVD Architect). Vegas uses MainConcept and I used the default settings for DVD expect for 4,200,000 bps at CBR.

Last edited by cybercat; 9th June 2010 at 02:57.
Old 9th June 2010, 03:26   #4  |  Link

It's very unlikely to be your MPEG2 encoding.

You should use a cleaner on your player and also take one of the disks to try on a friend's player.

I like your avatar.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 04:07   #5  |  Link
cybercat

Thanks, yours is cool too.

I think you might be right, I forgot a had a cheap Coby DVD player in the closet so I gave one of the problematic discs a spin on that and it didn't seem to have any issues. So that's a bit of a relief, but still there would have to be a reason that the Toshiba player would have an issue with it in the first place right? I mean it doesn't have any issue with all those other DVDs...
Old 9th June 2010, 13:58   #6  |  Link
pandy

check quality of already burned DVD by some statistic tool (KProbe or similar), try to mark (change bookmark or bit setting) DVD as a DVD ROM, try to use DVD+R instead of DVD-R, reduce speed of recording to lowest acceptable by disc (not always best but anyway seems that better in terms of reliability)
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 12:27   #7  |  Link
Nexin

If that doesn't work try a another software - ImgBurn
Nexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 17:46   #8  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The issue seems to be a bad burning. I think that if you test them into a different recorder (LiteOn, Plextor etc.) they will show up with bad values.
The reason you don't get burning errors is due to the fact that the LG burners are one of the best readers that exist. And that cheap coby DVD player of yours surely doesn't employ a Pioneer optical pickup .
Change the burner, change the disk brand, change the speed. And switch to imgburn.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd, macroblocking, mpeg2