Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 29th November 2018, 06:58   #1  |  Link
maetel99

UHD drives

I was interested in playing around with UHD discs a bit so I tried using my Pioneer BDR-XD05LE2 and BDR-XD07BK drives, both of which are supposedly capable of handling BD-XL triple layer discs. Unfortunately, neither drive seems to be willing to mount UHD discs.

Can anyone explain how the drive situation works for UHD? Are the only drives capable of mounting and accessing UHD content the ones listed on the DeUHD web site? What about other drives that claim to support UHD and ship with player software?
maetel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 17:10   #2  |  Link
dizzier

Official UHD drives that "ship with a player" certainly can read UHD discs. But you cannot use them to make a copy of your disc. You can only use included player and even then only if you have CPU with necessary extensions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Guard_Extensions).
If a drive does not state compatibility with UHD, but supports BD-XL... then it depends. Some cannot read UHD, some can. Those that can are the so called "UHD-friendly" drives. The nice thing is that you can use them to make a working copy of the disc.
I highly doubt that DeUHD list contains all the drives that can read UHD. But if you are not willing to spend money and hope for the best then just buy something from that list as it was tested.
dizzier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2018, 22:12   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Take a look over at this topic over on the AVS forum.

I bought myself an ASUS BW-16D1HT drive and changed its firmware so it can now read/back-up UHD Blu-ray disc's with MakeMKV