Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th July 2015, 01:09   #32181  |  Link
jewshawn2

Just a follow up. The bug I reported has been fixed in the latest release.

madVR v0.88.21

* OSD rendering back to 0.88.16 logic, except when low latency mode is active
* fixed: DXVA processing failed when video stream switched resolution
* fixed: render times weren't shown correctly
* fixed: SuperRes bigger radius values could cause artifacts
* fixed: low latency mode sometimes wasn't turned off when it should

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewshawn2 View Post
I am reporting a bug that was introduced since v0.88.17.

In order for OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) to capture video in Potplayer with madVR, you have to use "Game Capture" source. I was told by someone on the OBS forum that this uses OpenGL to capture video. And it is the only method to capture video with madVR as the renderer.

Since v0.88.17 video capture using OBS (both versions) and Potplayer causes unwatchable jittery/stuttering video. The video looks perfectly fine on screen. But the OBS capture window shows jittery video. v0.88.16 was the last release that worked fine.

The bug can be reproduce on both of my PCs using the default madVR settings and default PotPlayer settings. However, if I use a different video player like MPC-HC x64 or bsplayer with madVR the video capture in OBS is fine. But when I adjust volume level the OSD causes stuttering video in the capture window.

I don't expect this bug report to get a lot of attention since it's very specific but I still wanted to report it for documentation purposes. I hope other forums members can reproduce the bug and verify my claims.

These were the changes introduced to madVR, perhaps one of these changes broke functionality between madVR, Potplayer, and OBS:
v0.88.17
* madVR now renders in paused and stopped mode, too
* added automatic OSD low latency logic
* added SuperRes anti-ringing filter
* fixed little SuperRes quality detoriation introduced in v0.88.16
* fixed: high GPU consumption in paused mode (PotPlayer, Kodi DSPlayer)
* all (useful) IVideoWindow APIs now work even when no pins are connected

My setup:

madVR v0.88.17 thru v0.88.20

x64 bit Potplayer [1.6.55124] 2015/07/10

x64 OBS Multiplatform 0.11.1

x64 OBS Original 0.652b

x64 Win 7 / Nvidia 8800 GTS
jewshawn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 01:20   #32182  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You should all really stop speculating on things that don't have a shred of proof that it matters. NNEDI clearly still works. If you want to test something, check if its slower or something.
sorry nnedi3 doesn't work with 353.50, 353.54 and 353.62.
this should be proof enough: http://abload.de/img/nnedi3h0sib.png

and the only thing that is clearly changed in the driver is the removed cl_nv_d3d9_sharing.

if madVR isn't using cl_nv_d3d9_sharing than the reason is something else.

but what so ever nnedi3 doesn't work but openCL in general does work.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 02:00   #32183  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
maybe im too stupid, but how can i change lq / hq super ress?
i know i read it somewhere but cant find it anymore..
i cant see teh setting HQ/LQ . or did i miss something?
LQ mode was removed. IIRC madshi said you can get something close to it using AdaptiveSharpen, though obviously there will be some performance cost. Edit: But see Unr3al's post for a hidden way to enable it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA13 View Post
also, i cant see any difference with super ress on or off.. what do i have to look for?
Try using more than 1 pass, at 3 or 4 passes the difference should be pretty clear as long as you're actually upscaling.

Last edited by Ver Greeneyes; 28th July 2015 at 13:36.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 02:27   #32184  |  Link
Anima123

What do you guys think the default value of 'radius' of SuperRes should be? I really like it be 0.77 or so, to me it's a good balance and the result effect is quite impressive.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:35   #32185  |  Link
pirlouy
_

@BetA13: For SuperRes HQ/LQ, you have to use .15 version (link in the first post)

@Anima123: Careful; what you like is not what it should be. The only chance to judge is with screenshots comparison to original image.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...55#post1730855
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:36   #32186  |  Link
mindz

Quote:
Looks like it, yes. Thank you.

By the way, are there any known issues with "use Direct3D 11 for presentation" or "use separate device for presentation" with HD4000 IGPs? On my laptop using either of these options leads to major presentation issues (frames jumping about all over the place). Not a big deal since I can disable both options, just wondering if you knew.
I second that. Im using a HD4600 on my desktop. When enablding D3D11, the frames skip and flicker all over the place, it is not watchable.
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 13:01   #32187  |  Link
Unr3aL

Just FYI, LQ SR might still work as this originates from 0.88.19b:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

(P.S: leeperry, you can create an empty file called "BilinearSuperRes" in the madVR folder. That means HQ turned off. I pretty much hate the look it produces, though, so use it at your own "risk".)

Last edited by Unr3aL; 28th July 2015 at 13:04.
Unr3aL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 13:21   #32188  |  Link
abotiz

Help with MPC HC/Madvr

Hello

I need help to understand what I'm going to set the MPC-HC and Madvr.
I have a HTPC that is connected with HDMI to AV Marantz 6900sr and play with EPSON Tw7200.
Should I set something on Madvr or MPC, or fix Marantz everything.

thanks in advance
abotiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 17:38   #32189  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Any word on this from madshi regarding this? Does NNEDI3 use CL_NV_D3D9_SHARING?

With 353.49 Hotfix drivers, my OSD shows "Chroma > NNEDI64" and below "Image > Catmull-Rom AR" . It doesn't say NNEDI3 64, but just NNEDI64. Does that mean NNEDI3 is being used or not?
Nvidia's next Windows 10 drivers, 353.62, seem to still be missing this (the OSD, rendering times, and look all indicates NNEDI isn't running). I am worried this will be the norm going forward but Nvidia still hasn't released a driver newer than driver 353.30 themselves, only Windows Update drivers.

I think 353.49 still has it, that is probably the newest driver that works for madVR NNEDI3. 353.54 is when I noticed NNEDI3 stop working.
Old 28th July 2015, 17:39   #32190  |  Link
ashlar42

Does SmoothMotion when activated "always" in the settings works (and taxes system resources) only when a frame drop/repeat would occur? From all I've read (that it doesn't create extra frames as other "smooth" options do on TVs) I would say this is the case, but I'd like to know for sure. Not just for system resources but to be sure that the video stays untouched unless needed (to avoid frame drops/repeats, that is).
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 18:31   #32191  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Does SmoothMotion when activated "always" in the settings works (and taxes system resources) only when a frame drop/repeat would occur? From all I've read (that it doesn't create extra frames as other "smooth" options do on TVs) I would say this is the case, but I'd like to know for sure. Not just for system resources but to be sure that the video stays untouched unless needed (to avoid frame drops/repeats, that is).
smooth motion is only blending frames and doesn't create motion interpolated frames.

smoothmotion is blending frames based on the video clock and the audio clock/referance clock so it is kind of blending frames the whole time.

the performence impact is about nothing at all.
Old 28th July 2015, 19:46   #32192  |  Link
aufkrawall

Geforce driver 352.62 is now available as a package directly from NV:
http://international.download.nvidia...ational.hf.exe
Of course cl d3d9_sharing extension is still missing (since it's the same driver version as the driver from WU).

SM5.0/DirectCompute NNEDI3 implementation badly needed.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 19:51   #32193  |  Link
Akeno

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
smooth motion is only blending frames and doesn't create motion interpolated frames.

smoothmotion is blending frames based on the video clock and the audio clock/referance clock so it is kind of blending frames the whole time.

the performence impact is about nothing at all.
Is there any advantage to using smooth motion when your refresh rate is an exact multiple of the video frame rate or is it just wasted resources?
Akeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 19:53   #32194  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Geforce driver 352.62 is now available as a package directly from NV:
http://international.download.nvidia...ational.hf.exe
Of course cl d3d9_sharing extension is still missing (since it's the same driver version as the driver from WU).
Which extensions are available now?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 19:55   #32195  |  Link
aufkrawall

The smaller the difference between video fps and refreshrate is, the more motion blur you get with smooth motion.
However, if you want to eliminate repeated frames at all costs (e.g. if 1 frame is repeated per hour or so), it would be still useful if motion blur doesn't annoy you.
Old 28th July 2015, 19:55   #32196  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Which extensions are available now?
http://abload.de/image.php?img=353.62x5pbz.png
Old 28th July 2015, 20:00   #32197  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
The smaller the difference between video fps and refreshrate is, the more motion blur you get with smooth motion.
However, if you want to eliminate repeated frames at all costs (e.g. if 1 frame is repeated per hour or so), it would be still useful if motion blur doesn't annoy you.
Hmmm, ok, the exact opposite of what I thought. Without Reclock I have 1 frame drop every 4 hours or so at 23.97599Hz (instead of 23.97602) and 1 frame drop every 38 minutes at 50.0018Hz. I thought I could avoid Reclock but this doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks.
Old 28th July 2015, 20:01   #32198  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
Is there any advantage to using smooth motion when your refresh rate is an exact multiple of the video frame rate or is it just wasted resources?
there is no general answer if you get an repeated or dropped frame every 4 h or lower than yes it is still pretty useful.

if you have an very unlikely perfect synced audio and video clock no it just wastes some system performance in this case.
Old 28th July 2015, 20:03   #32199  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Hmmm, ok, the exact opposite of what I thought. Without Reclock I have 1 frame drop every 4 hours or so at 23.97599Hz (instead of 23.97602) and 1 frame drop every 38 minutes at 50.0018Hz. I thought I could avoid Reclock but this doesn't seem to be the case.
Thanks.
the trick is it to use smooth motion only at the highest possible refresh rate. and motion blur is not the right name for the possible visible issue of smoothmotion at least in my opinion.
Old 28th July 2015, 20:13   #32200  |  Link
aufkrawall

How'd you call it? Ghosting?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling