Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th June 2018, 10:10   #51541  |  Link
Aleksoid1978

You say that latest nvidia drivers support 23.976 "from box" ??
Old 27th June 2018, 10:10   #51542  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
A while back I always had issues with custom res, and stopped using it. Once madshi stated nvidia would be releasing a new driver which would fix the 23.976hz issue, I removed all traces of custom res, used DDU, and just tried the default 23hz 12-bit full-RGB. Now my frame drop is days or never. I never have to touch custom again. I do not get any issues anymore.
I had hoped for the same, but unsure if it is because I bitstream, even though yes the composition rate was now at 23.976, it was not allowing for the HDMI audio clock (I think thats whats happening), so was no better off.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 11:21   #51543  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksoid1978 View Post
You say that latest nvidia drivers support 23.976 "from box" ??
Well they definitely changed something in last two drivers as the composition rate is sat at 23.976 now.

398.36 Standard

https://postimg.cc/image/lmhzclp5n/

This is the latest 398.36 and as can be seen, no custom created and it runs at 23.976, but personally it is not working for me as the frame repeats can be bettered with older drivers and custom res, I did get lucky and created one. I found I had to create and not modify and save. Then modify, I tried a movie and it was no different from initial install. I then looked at the custom I created and it had went back to Automatic, so its not saving modified settings.

390.77 Standard

https://postimg.cc/image/wnq8hfarx/

As can be seen the defualt is 23.970

390.77 Custom

https://postimg.cc/image/cgcsp75lp/

What I need to use and get a custom res that sticks and a good frame repeat number.

Last edited by madjock; 27th June 2018 at 11:36. Reason: spelling
Old 27th June 2018, 11:25   #51544  |  Link
mclingo

if NVIDA now supports native 23,976 can someone check to see if they've fixed the MVC 3D dropped frames, if they fix this I might switch to my 1050 card as it should be better than my RX 460
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 11:40   #51545  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
if NVIDA now supports native 23,976 can someone check to see if they've fixed the MVC 3D dropped frames, if they fix this I might switch to my 1050 card as it should be better than my RX 460
I think Manni tried the previous drivers that had this fix, he said there was an improvement in the 3D side as well. I assume it is carried across to the latest driver.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...55#post1843855

- 3D (1080p23FP) timings improved (same as 397.93, around 13-14min for a frame repeat vs every 3min with any of the former drivers)
Old 27th June 2018, 11:54   #51546  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
I think Manni tried the previous drivers that had this fix, he said there was an improvement in the 3D side as well. I assume it is carried across to the latest driver.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...55#post1843855

- 3D (1080p23FP) timings improved (same as 397.93, around 13-14min for a frame repeat vs every 3min with any of the former drivers)

An improvement but sadly i cant deal with any skips at all, just ruins the immersion for me with 3D, i'll stick with my RX for now then.

Cheers.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 13:43   #51547  |  Link
SirSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
Yeah, but 50 fps wouldn't accept those recommendations unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Ah I see, yes the GT740 is a very weak card. Hmm.. you might need to stick to the defaults for 50 fps, maybe try Spline or Lanczos 3 for chroma and image upscaling.
I meant that it wouldn't do the previous recommendations you gave me for scaling or running 25 fps. It will do Jinc or super-xbr for 50 fps however, but not NGU or Error Diffusion.

Is the sharpness shown in the green sharpness bar, for super-xbr, the sharpness set to 100?

Last edited by SirSwede; 27th June 2018 at 15:48.
SirSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 16:43   #51548  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwede View Post
I meant that it wouldn't do the previous recommendations you gave me for scaling or running 25 fps. It will do Jinc or super-xbr for 50 fps however, but not NGU or Error Diffusion.

Is the sharpness shown in the green sharpness bar, for super-xbr, the sharpness set to 100?
Try super-xbr100 in both cases. It is a little faster than Jinc and sharper. If not, drop down to Lanczos3 + AR. super-xbr150 is a lot sharper, but it will produce quite a bit more ringing.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 18:18   #51549  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
rx 480 and rx 580 are identical cards.
They are not 100% identical. The RX 580 fixed a performance issue with multi-monitor. The RX 580 has some more refinements on 14 nm process enabling better overclocking and better stability at a high clock speed. Overall the RX 580 is 10% faster than the RX 480. The RX 580 is a revision of the RX 480 and AMD applied rebranding.

Last edited by HillieSan; 28th June 2018 at 13:50.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 18:36   #51550  |  Link
Mike-uk

A few questions

HI, new to Madvr, my usage is 1080p Blu-ray backups and 4k hdr backups

the reason for me using madvr is for the 4k HDR passthrough

my question is, if using madvr for 4k hdr am I right in thinking that a lot of processing is happening to the video ?, surely 4k video don't need any processing as its high resolution and bit rate already, and is it actualy degrading it in any way by using Madvr for 4k ??

or am I getting it wrong and madvr makes 4k even better ??

if madvr don't make 4k any better, would a option to turn of all prossesing and passthrough video and HDR to tv ??

should I be using madvr if I only ever watch 1080p and 4k, but I need HDR passthrough to TV

Thanks
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 18:41   #51551  |  Link
huhn

madVR doesn't do any unnecessary processing by default.

chroma is upscaled everytime and this is unavoidable.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2018, 21:31   #51552  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
should I be using madvr if I only ever watch 1080p and 4k, but I need HDR passthrough to TV
Yes. There are some steps that must be done to get the video from the file to your TV and madVR does them in higher quality than anything else.

Chroma upscaling
Conversation to RGB
Dithering to the output bitdepth

All of these steps must happen to get 4K video on a 4K TV.
Old 28th June 2018, 03:28   #51553  |  Link
ryrynz

Also madvr's HDR tone mapping is set to get a boost in quality with the next version, likely surpassing many HDR television manufacturers own algorithms. So yes you will want to use madVR for 4K HDR.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 16:41   #51554  |  Link
mytbyte

I couldn't find this covered before so here it is: I'm trying to calibrate a SDR UHD TV to MadVR HDR->SDR conversion by using HCFR and rendering via MADTPG to avoid advancing the HDR patterns manually from disk but it seems MADTPG outputs regular gamma style curve i.e. patterns are not HDR encoded, even though I have HDR->SDR conversion activated in MadVR settings. Is it possible that MADTPG doesn't work with MadVR's own HDR processing options but only when a HDR TV is connected? Are there plans to allow MADTPG generate HDR patterns without a HDR display connected and pass them through HDR->SDR processing? Madshi?
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 16:48   #51555  |  Link
huhn

HDRT -> SDR conversation is a conversation to "gamma" there is no point in sending HDR pattern and there is no need for a different calibration if your SDR is calibrated.
Old 28th June 2018, 18:42   #51556  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
HDRT -> SDR conversation is a conversation to "gamma" there is no point in sending HDR pattern and there is no need for a different calibration if your SDR is calibrated.
You have the point...in theory. But my SDR gamma is pretty much spot on 2.2 all the way but the measures from manual Masciola's patterns don't track as close to BT.2390 roll off as I'd like so I like to tweak it more while looking at the BT.2390 curve which would be much easier going back and forth with automatic patterns.
Old 28th June 2018, 19:00   #51557  |  Link
Asmodian

I am not sure what you mean by "patterns are not HDR encoded", do you mean they do not go through madVR's HDR -> SDR conversion path? How would madTPG know HCFR was sending patches it should treat as HDR? I don't think madTPG looks for flags from software telling it HDR metadata, I don't think there are any standards around metadata attached to test patches so it would have to be something worked out between HCFR (Argyllcms) and madVR.

An option in madTPG to set the input HDR metadata, similar to how we can set the output metadata, would be cool.
Old 28th June 2018, 19:04   #51558  |  Link
huhn

HDR pattern without HDR are pointless.
Old 28th June 2018, 19:33   #51559  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean by "patterns are not HDR encoded", do you mean they do not go through madVR's HDR -> SDR conversion path? How would madTPG know HCFR was sending patches it should treat as HDR? I don't think madTPG looks for flags from software telling it HDR metadata, I don't think there are any standards around metadata attached to test patches so it would have to be something worked out between HCFR (Argyllcms) and madVR.

An option in madTPG to set the input HDR metadata, similar to how we can set the output metadata, would be cool.
MadTPG suports HDR, at least with Calman. You simply have to specify the metadata for the content (max brightness etc) and the software indicates this to MadTPG and switches to HDR. This has been the case for a while. It’s only useful if calibrating in HDR (passthrough), not if you’re doing a conversion, in which case you want the display to be calibrated to sdr rec-709 or P3 or BT2020 with a power gamma (2.4 recommended) and you don’t need/want MadTPG to be in HDR mode.

HCFR should be supporting this, best would be to ask Zoyd on AVS in the HCFR thread.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2018, 20:24   #51560  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:

Your text in bold, that's what I meant and thought was implemented from the go since it comes from the same author. Viewing the PQ curve tells the whole story, can't tell how close it actually tracks from SDR luminance curve measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
MadTPG suports HDR, at least with Calman. You simply have to specify the metadata for the content (max brightness etc) and the software indicates this to MadTPG and switches to HDR. This has been the case for a while. It’s only useful if calibrating in HDR (passthrough), not if you’re doing a conversion, in which case you want the display to be calibrated to sdr rec-709 or P3 or BT2020 with a power gamma (2.4 recommended) and you don’t need/want MadTPG to be in HDR mode.

HCFR should be supporting this, best would be to ask Zoyd on AVS in the HCFR thread.
I asked, no reply so far. Why do you think 2.4 gamma is recommended, i.e. why does it matter any if we can select the gamma a display is calibrated to in MadVR?

Last edited by mytbyte; 28th June 2018 at 20:30.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling